Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

For the Silithus watchers, don't forget your fan kit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I'M RUNNING THIS MONKEY FARM NOW, FRANKENSTEIN, AND I WANNA KNOW WHAT THE gently caress YOU'VE BEEN DOING WITH MY TIME!!!!!

Listen, I understand your concerns, but I'm going to need you to fill out these forms prior to evaluating your case.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ruddiger posted:

When I saw Day of the Dead at the New Bev, Joe Pilato was a special guest and he said the line. :allears:

He seemed like a really nice fellow.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I just saw someone shilling for The Golden Glove, a German movie about serial killer Fritz Honka. Supposedly grimey and greasy as hell.

Anyone see it? Might dedicate tomorrow's WFH day to it.

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

Re: "Dawn Chat" - Remember/learn that this doco exists (made by Roy Frumkes, eventual writer of "Street Trash") for free! So fuckin'' radical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lqSYXGpXjc

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Burkion posted:

There is actually ONE breast in the film. The monster tears open that girl's shirt, then artfully covers up her boobs after he's done tearing her guts out.

Did you notice how in the lead up to that scene the sleazy guy has a picture of himself sitting on the table, but when the monster is attacking the woman the picture was replaced by a crude drawing of that guy? Was the drawing like a stunt picture for that dudes headshot or something? It’s baffling.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 18, 2020

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
Weird Opinion Time:

The Child's Play franchise is the best slasher franchise.

1 is great.
2 is even better.
3 is mediocre to bad.
Bride is a great tonal shift.
Seed is bad.
Curse is outstanding.
Cult is fun as hell and great.
Remake is the best slasher remake ever.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Agreed but Seed is good

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Bride > Seed > 1 > the rest

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

CelticPredator posted:

Agreed but Seed is good

I haven't seen Seed in a long time. I recall there were a couple great kills (John Waters gets it good) but I despise the design of the son.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I don't agree but I wouldn't necessarily hold that opinion against you either. I don't love the remake as much as you do and I also don't love Curse and Cult as much as some in this thread do. But yea, it's a more consistent series along the lines of Friday the 13th, as opposed to Halloween or Nightmare on Elm Street which are very top-heavy, each having several sequels that most people agree belong in the "avoid" category.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
What you have to give the franchise credit for is the willingness to shift tones and ideas over time. You go from straighforward slasher, to horror comedy, to new-gen slasher(Curse is almost a haunted house film at times), to loving insane and then to a remake that totally changes everything but keeps the core idea.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think probably the best strength of the series is that Mancini has been involved with every movie (except the remake) so like even when had to change tone dramatically he obviously tried to stay consistent to the character and history of the franchise. And like I give him a ton of credit that when 3 was obviously very mediocre retread he changed it up and revitalized it. And when Seed probably got too crazy or weird or whatever for some he shifted it up again for Curse and tried to marry it all in Cult. It just all feels very authentic and unlike the usual thing where a franchise just gets run into the ground by the studio and a dozen different creative minds for money.

Its also something I appreciate in most of the Halloween movies where even if Carpenter and Hill were no longer involved there was always a consistent thread with Akkad that tried to keep the films connected and feeling like something worth doing. A lot of those sequels aren't good but you can see them trying to make it work and be true to Halloween. And when Akkad is gone then its just Scream and Jason sequels with a paint job or Zombie going his own way. Until the '18 one tried to connect again.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

OpenSourceBurger posted:

What you have to give the franchise credit for is the willingness to shift tones and ideas over time. You go from straighforward slasher, to horror comedy, to new-gen slasher(Curse is almost a haunted house film at times), to loving insane and then to a remake that totally changes everything but keeps the core idea.

I agree with you but I genuinely think Friday the 13th does all of this better.

But I agree, Chucky is a solid franchise.

It would be kind of fun to do a tournament of slashers to see which series would be the reigning champion. Kinda like March Madness but with horror franchises. I don't participate in Fantasy Football or anything, so I wouldn't know how to organize it, but I would love to help set that up.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

I agree with you but I genuinely think Friday the 13th does all of this better.

But I agree, Chucky is a solid franchise.

It would be kind of fun to do a tournament of slashers to see which series would be the reigning champion. Kinda like March Madness but with horror franchises. I don't participate in Fantasy Football or anything, so I wouldn't know how to organize it, but I would love to help set that up.

First step would be seeding. #1 seeds would be Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Friday the 13th and..........maybe Scream?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

First step would be seeding. #1 seeds would be Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Friday the 13th and..........maybe Scream?

Ooh, I dunno where Scream lands. Two good movies, one bad movie, and a polarizing 4th movie...

What seed do you put Texas Chainsaw at? Two solid entries, one kinda bad, one terrible, and then mostly terrible reboot sequels... But the two solids are basically perfect movies.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

in my neverending search to see every necrophilia movie tonights viewing will be.....LOVE ME DEADLY! :o

Over a decade before Nekromantik was made! I think it may be on of the earliest necro movies. It came out a year before Deranged: Confessions of a Necrophile

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Ooh, I dunno where Scream lands. Two good movies, one bad movie, and a polarizing 4th movie...

What seed do you put Texas Chainsaw at? Two solid entries, one kinda bad, one terrible, and then mostly terrible reboot sequels... But the two solids are basically perfect movies.

I think for seeding you have to do it in a predictive way. As in, don't bring your own opinion into it as much as the consensus, because that's what you're trying to predict. So I think Scream would be a #1 because of it's mainstream impact and wider appeal compared to something like Texas Chainsaw. And I think that is true even in a place like the horror thread where we're all genre fanatics.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Step 1: Have us all compile a ballot of like our top 10 franchises.
Step 2: Score the ballots. #1 gets 10 pts. #10 gets 1 pt.
Step 3: Seed the tourney based on the scores.
Step 4: Fill any remaining spots with "Play In" polls. How you determine who fills that could just be random since no one voted for them anyway. Just have people suggest names and pick them at random.
Step 5: Accept that any ranked tournament will have some biases and politics and ballot stuffing and randomness.
Step 6: Figure out some way to do polling for each matchup.

edit: Step 0.1: Define "franchise".

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 18, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I can make the wiki!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

edit: Step 0.1: Define "franchise".

Two sequel minimum.

Ginger Snaps can count, for instance, but Gremlins cannot.

edit: STAC Goat and Basebf555, I think you two are onto something. But how do we do the ballot system? Write in?

Shreknet, you may be on wiki duty if we do this.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 18, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Uh oh I feel an argument about what constitutes a "slasher" coming on....

Personally I don't think an initial poll is necessary. Let Fran or a small Horror Thread Blue Ribbon Panel decide the seeding and then everyone else votes on the actual matchups.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Uh oh I feel an argument about what constitutes a "slasher" coming on....

I know this started as a "slasher" off thing, but now I think horror franchise in general is more potent, and would make a more interesting tournament. It includes slashers but doesn't exclude the Dead series or Demons or stuff. There's only a handful of slasher franchises.

edit: March Madness has 68 teams compete. The Doughboys Munch Madness is 64 "teams". Are those numbers too ambitious for this?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

I know this started as a "slasher" off thing, but now I think horror franchise in general is more potent, and would make a more interesting tournament. It includes slashers but doesn't exclude the Dead series or Demons or stuff. There's only a handful of slasher franchises.

The seeding becomes a lot harder though, because there will be a lot more iconic franchises that will probably deserve high seeds. Tough decisions.

^^^I think with a more general approach yea you'd have to do the full 60+ teams/franchises. Otherwise you'd have to make too many arbitrary cuts.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

The seeding becomes a lot harder though, because there will be a lot more iconic franchises that will probably deserve high seeds. Tough decisions.

^^^I think with a more general approach yea you'd have to do the full 60+ teams/franchises. Otherwise you'd have to make too many arbitrary cuts.

I guess the next question is, would a Tournament of Horrors and the April Horror Challenge be too much for one month? Hat on a hat?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

I guess the next question is, would a Tournament of Horrors and the April Horror Challenge be too much for one month? Hat on a hat?

I'm probably not the person to decide that because nothing is too much for me.

I don't think a weekly or bi-weekly poll(and the discussion surrounding it) would really be too much, but again, that's me.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I was joking about the wiki in true Goon Project fashion, but I did in fact host a podcast called "Pop Culture Playoffs" that did this exact thing (64 Action movies, 64 #1 Albums, GI Joes, etc etc) so I have some experience with the tools here.

Also, lightning-quick list here:
NoES
F13
Halloween
Hellraiser
Chucky
Predator
SAW
Purge
Cloverfield
Human Centipede
Children of the Corn
Piranha
Final Destination
Scream
Blade
Candyman
Devil's Rejects/Zombieverse
"of the Living Dead"
Ginger Snaps
Re-Animator
Jeepers Creepers
Tremors
I Know What You Did Last Summer
Prophecy
Wishmaster
Leprechaun
Dusk Till Dawn
Alien
Evil Dead
Critters
The Thing
Jaws
Species

That's 32 franchises with 3 entries each. I'm sure I missed some, but if y'all want me to throw together something and are interested in turning it into a podcast/show, I can totally resurrect that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Franchescanado posted:

Two sequel minimum.

Ginger Snaps can count, for instance, but Gremlins cannot.

edit: STAC Goat and Basebf555, I think you two are onto something. But how do we do the ballot system? Write in?

Shreknet, you may be on wiki duty if we do this.

The "ballot" would probably be simple. They could either be open ballots in this thread or private messages. Its just a matter of someone having to tabulate them. I could do that if no one else would. Anyone could do it with an Excel file but tedious number entry is something I'm very familiar with.

Franchise questions would probably be more about like crossovers or thematic stuff. Like Carpenter's Apocalypse Trilogy or Argento's Three Mothers. Or whether the Universal Monsters have their own franchises or all just one big one. There's probably easy answers for all of them but there will always be people arguing.

If you wanted to skip the ballots, yeah, you can probably just compile them by opinions and a final word. The way lots of these go is to make each bracket a category. You could do time eras. Or you could try and categorize sub genres. I'm nnot a fan of that approach myself because it kind of undermines the "upset" idea by guaranteeing a sort of winner comes out of each box. But a lot of people like the themes.

Number wise the easiest idea is probably to see what we have. If you compile a list and its 80, then 64-8 is easy. If you have a list and you have 50 maybe you can stretch it out to 64 or maybe you should cut down to 32. If you've got 18 real good and then 20 lame options then you could do 16. Just see what you have to work with and go from there. I think 64 is probably easily doable as long as we expand past "slashers" which I think is both more fun and for the best so you don't have more arguments. But you start the list and see what you got.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

When we say Living Dead series, are we sticking with Romero? Including remakes? Including the Return films?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

When we say Living Dead series, are we sticking with Romero? Including remakes? Including the Return films?

I would think there's 2 distinct franchises between Romero's and Russo's Return series. And maybe there's another further franchises somewhere in those sequels but I don't know.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Couldn’t the Witchcraft series support its own bracket by now?

Fake edit: 16 movies in total, so it does! Damned if anyone is going to watch them all to rank them, though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shrecknet posted:

I was joking about the wiki in true Goon Project fashion, but I did in fact host a podcast called "Pop Culture Playoffs" that did this exact thing (64 Action movies, 64 #1 Albums, GI Joes, etc etc) so I have some experience with the tools here.

Also, lightning-quick list here:
NoES
F13
Halloween
Hellraiser
Chucky
Predator
SAW
Purge
Cloverfield
Human Centipede
Children of the Corn
Piranha
Final Destination
Scream
Blade
Candyman
Devil's Rejects/Zombieverse
"of the Living Dead"
Ginger Snaps
Re-Animator
Jeepers Creepers
Tremors
I Know What You Did Last Summer
Prophecy
Wishmaster
Leprechaun
Dusk Till Dawn
Alien
Evil Dead
Critters
The Thing
Jaws
Species

That's 32 franchises with 3 entries each. I'm sure I missed some, but if y'all want me to throw together something and are interested in turning it into a podcast/show, I can totally resurrect that.

Cloverfield seems iffy to me
I'd split Return of the Living Dead and Night of the Living Dead.
Paranormal Activity
Puppet Master
Insidious
Conuring-verse
Godzilla
Jurassic Park
Modern Monsterverse
Omen
Poltergeist
Exorcist
Universal Dracula
Universal Frankenstein
Universal Invisible Man
Hammer Dracula
Hammer Frankenstein?

That's like 50 off the fly. 64 is probably very doable.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

I would think there's 2 distinct franchises between Romero's and Russo's Return series. And maybe there's another further franchises somewhere in those sequels but I don't know.

I agree with splitting up the Romero and Russo films, I'm just going to be so sad if I have to include Night of the Living Dead 3D with the Romero films

e: Holy poo poo there's NotLD3D:2 with Andrew Divoff and Jeffrey Combs

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, we're splitting Romero and Russo franchises, no question.

I also agree No on Cloverfield. Only two of them are horror, and I'm sure some people who shall remain unnamed would argue 10 Cloverfield Lane is a thriller and not horror, despite the aliens and the body melting.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I agree with splitting up the Romero and Russo films, I'm just going to be so sad if I have to include Night of the Living Dead 3D with the Romero films

Practically you either decide its part of the franchise or its own thing that has no sequels so isn't a franchise. I'd be comfortable either way. But there's always gonna be weird stuff like that like "Are Zombie's Halloween films part of the Halloween franchise?" or "Are Tom Cruise's Mummy, Brendan Frasier's Mummy, and Karloff's Mummy the same franchise?" Even with Night of the Living Dead you have like Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead as a question with Night 3D. But those are probably questions that get hashed out mid tourney and no one can really stop you from doing what you want with your vote. Democracy is your right to vote for whatever dumb reason you have.

Franchescanado posted:

I also agree No on Cloverfield. Only two of them are horror, and I'm sure some people who shall remain unnamed would argue 10 Cloverfield Lane is a thriller and not horror, despite the aliens and the body melting.

Its less the genres that bother me and more that I'm not really convinced the 3 films have anything at all to do with each other. Once you open that door I think you open the door to stuff like Carpenter's Apocalypse Trilogy or Agento's Three Mothers.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 18, 2020

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Shrecknet posted:

The Thing

ehh I dunno about The Thing, there's just the one prequel. if you're counting The Thing From Another World, they're only connected by being adaptations of the same source material. If you're gonna go that route you could say that The Omega Man, The Last Man on Earth, and I Am Legend are a franchise.

other (mostly bad) franchises:
Subspecies
Feast
Hatchet
Wrong Turn
Dracula 2000 (lol)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

dont you dare call wrong turn a bad franchise again you ogre

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Howling
Killjoys
Ghostbusters?

Timing wise I'd consider waiting and building it up. That gives people time to watch films and catch up. Maybe even you could like reveal a franchise or 2 every week or something. I think we'd get excited for this at any time so you could plan it for like midway between the two Challenges in July or August and we'd still get excited and probably all be a little more familiar with entries, especially if we tease and build it up.

Of course that's the "100 Years" homework nerd in me getting excited.

edit: 64 franchises, revealed 4 at a time over 16 weeks. Would line us up roughly for a mid-mid challenge fun thing in July. Maybe August which might be a little close to October. Maybe could speed it up with 6 or 8 a week which would mean less time to watch but a quicker turnaround. So maybe 8 a week in May/June and tourney in July?

It could either be really tedious and we could get sick of it or it could be a ton of fun and be months of reasons to check out films you haven't looked at before. Seems like a toss up.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 18, 2020

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Oh, add Basket Case to list!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Godzilla
Resident Evil
Amityville Horror