Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I forgot who recommended Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, but drat it's real good. Wish there were English print volumes out there for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Freaking Crumbum posted:

harry potter : read another book :: the office : watch another show

there's a broad age band between like early 30s to early 40s of people that want to put every loving thing in the context of an episode of the office and it's getting so tiresome

And you are lynching Simpsons!

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Goon Boots posted:

And you are lynching Simpsons!

maybe it's just my coworkers / peer group, but nobody even remembers that the simpsons are still airing new episodes.

but every god drat thing in the news has to be framed in the context of a "the office" meme like "lol XD here's how THE OFFICE would handle the corona virus" and then a long, rambling description of what they imagine each character would do

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Freaking Crumbum posted:

maybe it's just my coworkers / peer group, but nobody even remembers that the simpsons are still airing new episodes.

but every god drat thing in the news has to be framed in the context of a "the office" meme like "lol XD here's how THE OFFICE would handle the corona virus" and then a long, rambling description of what they imagine each character would do

Yeah, that would be insufferable if constantly exposed to it.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/jackwaz/status/1240135051288948742?s=20

#ReleaseTheButtholeCut

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/EW/status/1240042644455059456

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Freaking Crumbum posted:

harry potter : read another book :: the office : watch another show

there's a broad age band between like early 30s to early 40s of people that want to put every loving thing in the context of an episode of the office and it's getting so tiresome

I've said this before, but I once read the AVClub blog of an Office episode and the comments below. And these people were opining about how things were in or out of character, taking about plot arcs, callbacks, what they hoped would happen or a character deserved: treating it like it was a soap opera or even real life. Isn't this just a little inappropriate for a dumb sitcom?

And on those lines, pop culture sites are becoming tiresome. Reading "trauma" into episodes of Steven Universe, quarterbacking movie studios (I'm sure Marvel is glad that you've got their back), angry that someone think their favourite video game is only okay.

That word "parasocial" is getting a lot of work these days.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

is he on epsteins island

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

nonathlon posted:

I've said this before, but I once read the AVClub blog of an Office episode and the comments below. And these people were opining about how things were in or out of character, taking about plot arcs, callbacks, what they hoped would happen or a character deserved: treating it like it was a soap opera or even real life. Isn't this just a little inappropriate for a dumb sitcom?

And on those lines, pop culture sites are becoming tiresome. Reading "trauma" into episodes of Steven Universe, quarterbacking movie studios (I'm sure Marvel is glad that you've got their back), angry that someone think their favourite video game is only okay.

this has been around since the dawn of the internet though? pop culture reviews always have to justify themselves and many of them do that by reading really far into the material or weaving really nonsensical narratives into things, nothing pitchfork wasn’t doing 15 years ago though. people are so connected now that you can get a read on what your social group is watching or listening to and their immediate review of it so reviewers have to work twice as hard to churn out emotionbait words about them for those sweet hot clicks

someone posted the Steven universe clip about him at a therapist talking about trauma and I think it’s actually cool and good that kid’s shows are teaching about mental illness

and nobody posting here gets to comment about parasocial relationships :ssh:

theflyingexecutive has issued a correction as of 10:50 on Mar 18, 2020

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

T-man posted:

is he on epsteins island

The mysterious knight Geoffrey suddenly appears in Westeros and becomes king of all the land.

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

Shoutout to Castlevania seasons 1 and 2, which are good, and season 3, which kind of spins it’s wheels setting up a season 4.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

this has been around since the dawn of the internet though? pop culture reviews always have to justify themselves and many of them do that by reading really far into the material or weaving really nonsensical narratives into things, nothing pitchfork wasn’t doing 15 years ago though. people are so connected now that you can get a read on what your social group is watching or listening to and their immediate review of it so reviewers have to work twice as hard to churn out emotionbait words about them for those sweet hot clicks

someone posted the Steven universe clip about him at a therapist talking about trauma and I think it’s actually cool and good that kid’s shows are teaching about mental illness

and nobody posting here gets to comment about parasocial relationships :ssh:

content mills where a 24 year old is paid $90 to write a bad essay about every single episode of a show as it comes out for an audience of weirdos who need the av club to reiterate their opinions are a relatively recent invention though. in the last decade or so i mean

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

also what a horrifically smug and condescending post please cool it a little thanks

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Farm Frenzy posted:

content mills where a 24 year old is paid $90 to write a bad essay about every single episode of a show as it comes out for an audience of weirdos who need the av club to reiterate their opinions are a relatively recent invention though. in the last decade or so i mean

Yeah, the monetization of this stuff is new. It's a business model now.

Wait, there's actual therapy and trauma in Steven Universe? What the hell.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

starkebn posted:

watched Portrait Of A Woman On Fire today and I think it's probably the best film I've ever seen. Every aspect of it is a masterpiece and I was openly crying during the final scene. I'm not good enough with words to write a compelling review, but I was completely blown away.

you summed it up perfectly. great film.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

I like the books because they are fun trash about dicks and velvet doublets

it's been a long time since I felt any anticipation for the next one but I will read it nonetheless and enjoy it probably

if they do get finished I bet there will be a good GoT TV show based on the books in like 20 years

also, speaking of 2040

anyone remember the Phantom 2040 cartoon with the Peter Chung/aeon flux art style?

it was pretty good

the first 5 episodes are like an origin movie and hold up really well

the make-your-own burrito vending machine, the resource wars and so on

Egg Moron has issued a correction as of 14:24 on Mar 18, 2020

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

HappyCamperGL posted:

you summed it up perfectly. great film.

still thinking about it and talking about it with my partner three days later

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nonathlon posted:

That’s the exact era when AVclub went from sort of nerdy to completely insufferable vapid content for office drones.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I can’t believe that covid is going to get us TWOW

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Over Easy posted:

I like the books because they are fun trash about dicks and velvet doublets

it's been a long time since I felt any anticipation for the next one but I will read it nonetheless and enjoy it probably

if they do get finished I bet there will be a good GoT TV show based on the books in like 20 years

also, speaking of 2040

anyone remember the Phantom 2040 cartoon with the Peter Chung/aeon flux art style?

it was pretty good

the first 5 episodes are like an origin movie and hold up really well

the make-your-own burrito vending machine, the resource wars and so on

i love all of peter chung's works including reign: the conqueror

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
Legend is streaming in Hulu. Gonna get high af and watch it tonight, haven't seen it since I was a git

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

it's going to be 2400 pages of eating out nancy peloci and treating her rear end like a trencher

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

https://twitter.com/QueerlyNerd/status/1240060355914727425

did this get posted

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

marvel is obsessed with idpol, it's infuriating

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

ATP_Power posted:

I forgot who recommended Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, but drat it's real good. Wish there were English print volumes out there for it.

It's incredible, maybe that's what I'll read when I'm off work

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Tulip posted:

It's incredible, maybe that's what I'll read when I'm off work
All the animated OVAs that were made of it are just up on youtube with english subs as well.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

but what is their super power :confused: and if it's similar to iceman why all the lgbtq heroes got the same powers

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Fleetwood posted:

marvel is obsessed with idpol, it's infuriating

look, there is no reason whatsoever to think Marvel might be rancidly neoliberal

or that its efforts at representation have looooonnnnnnggggg been ham-handed and poorly handled

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

nonathlon posted:

The Office was Dilbert strips taped to the outside of your cubicle, except being in the cult of “that’s me! Oh that’s totally you!” was no longer gated behind being a stemlord; now you just needed to be any old loser slowly ground to paste by a meaningless job and a boss with boundary issues. Eventually it flanderized into a office themed Disneyland, but for a while there it was something anyone racing their dreams to see who can die on their feet first could relate to. So people who felt seen got weirdly attached to it.

Parks & Rec is sort of the same thing except it started out a Disneyland ride about an America that works so well that Pawnee is an example of it failing. Everyone in America can get in on that delusion, now more than ever.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Percelus posted:

but what is their super power :confused: and if it's similar to iceman why all the lgbtq heroes got the same powers

snowflake throws ice shurikens, safespace creates force-fields but can't protect himself with them

https://twitter.com/LilithLovett/status/1240080036306141184

also one of the other heroes on the team is called "screentime" and their power is being online

https://twitter.com/PedanticRomantc/status/1240122907822563329

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

Can't believe Freakazoid is joining the Marvel comics pantheon

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

drat capitalism you woke af

whoa what if you made their first villain a dirtbag leftist

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
These sound more like GI Joe characters

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

great job safespace, we have foiled nikolai mullenov

that deranged mad man was going to say the n word and redistribute the hard earned wealth of job creators, snowflake

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

ATP_Power posted:

All the animated OVAs that were made of it are just up on youtube with english subs as well.

Whoa that rules

I still have a decent amount to read. Very much something you take at a leisurely pace.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ElNarez posted:

snowflake throws ice shurikens, safespace creates force-fields but can't protect himself with them

also one of the other heroes on the team is called "screentime" and their power is being online

personally, I love to huff Internet gas

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

the internet is a series of tubes, and inside those tubes the bandwidth is carried by the gas inside made of tiny goats, called RAM

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

ElNarez posted:

These characters were created to either to piss off chuds or mock SJWs. I don't know which is worse and stupider.

Anyway, I just finished watching Aniara. I strongly recommend it if you're in the mood for a bleak space madness movie with a queer woman as a protagonist.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

also when did ben ten get his name changed to screentime and join the marvel universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

what