Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Renaissance Robot posted:

Better than nothing! My last rental didn't vent anywhere, it looked like it had a solid shaft that must house an exit pipe, but when I took it off it was just empty and the fan was blasting wet greasy air up the wall and across the ceiling.

I dunno man I'd rather have it venting nasty poo poo onto a visible wall/ceiling where I could know to clean it rather than secretly turning my wall cavity into a horrific disgusting fire hazard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Mine blasts the stuff right into the bottom of the cabinet above. I knew it didn't go to the outside, but there's a filter in there that's supposed to do something. I got suspicious when I took out a filter after a few months and it looked brand new. It just kind of bypasses the fitler and fills the rest of the microwave with grease. It's a rental, so I can't really be hosed to take it down and adjust the blower to do it "right".

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I have an idiot hood that sucks air up through a lovely filter and then blasts it back out forward pretty much directly at head height. I assume that the filter is supposed to catch stuff but the whole thing is just bad and I don't use it. :shrug: Our stove growing up never had any hood at all, I figure we're fine.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Ashcans posted:

I have an idiot hood that sucks air up through a lovely filter and then blasts it back out forward pretty much directly at head height. I assume that the filter is supposed to catch stuff but the whole thing is just bad and I don't use it. :shrug: Our stove growing up never had any hood at all, I figure we're fine.

That's the same kind I have. The stove is on an interior wall and there's a high ceiling with no attic (and a cabinet directly above it), so there's not really anywhere to vent it to. Sometimes we have to open the window when cooking because it gets really hazy in the house.

There are a lot of things about my house that bother me, but the tiny, poorly laid-out kitchen is definitely the worst because I can't think of any way to fix it.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
serious question: where are they supposed to vent normally? just into the attic? that seems unhygienic at best... that's how it was set up in my childhood home, and I remember that part of the attic being vaguely greasy

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Empty Sandwich posted:

serious question: where are they supposed to vent normally? just into the attic? that seems unhygienic at best... that's how it was set up in my childhood home, and I remember that part of the attic being vaguely greasy

Outside.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

makes sense. I can't figure out how I'd do that in any of the houses I've lived in (this is a very boring crappy construction tale)

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

The stupid thing is our kitchen apparently had an external-venting hood at one point and most of it is still there (although clogged with a birds nest right now) but the PO replaced it with one of those stupid recirculating ones that blows it back at your head.

I really need to get the external venting one working again, I'm not sure why they switched away from it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Empty Sandwich posted:

makes sense. I can't figure out how I'd do that in any of the houses I've lived in (this is a very boring crappy construction tale)

With pipe. I mean....it's obviously something that typically has to be considered during construction or a major reno, but there's no real magic to how this works.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Empty Sandwich posted:

If you can vent to the attic, you can run a duct from there to the eaves or an external wall.

That’s suitable for bathroom fans for sure, for a greasy kitchen extractor I’d want to go out of an external wall at ceiling height approx, either directly or via some ducting hidden inside cabinets/ a ceiling void.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

If we ever redo our kitchen we could probably arrange it to vent properly, but the kitchen is the least of our worries and seeing as I have never had a properly vented hood it's not like I am missing that right now. It's definitely something someone should have done in a previous renovation though!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A vented hood would be amazing. We're currently just leaving the oven on the heat our place which isn't ideal. If we don't have the oven on, it's 15 degrees. Luckily the reason the place is 15 degrees is that the 100 year old windows leak badly and you can feel a breeze running through even with all the windows shut so I hopefully won't die from CO.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
im assuming stupid american degrees and not smart euro degrees

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

sneakyfrog posted:

im assuming stupid american degrees and not smart euro degrees

Fairly certain he's European, but regardless, I certainly hope nobody's home is 15 degrees Fahrenheit.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Baronjutter posted:

A vented hood would be amazing. We're currently just leaving the oven on the heat our place which isn't ideal. If we don't have the oven on, it's 15 degrees. Luckily the reason the place is 15 degrees is that the 100 year old windows leak badly and you can feel a breeze running through even with all the windows shut so I hopefully won't die from CO.

I love how poo poo cancels out like this sometimes. Sure, your heating bill is obscene, but at least you'll never have to worry about mould or damp! :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Shut up Meg posted:

Above the cupboard on the right?

Then I'd have a trailing lead hanging around on the wall.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Because whomever fitted it was lazy, and yes.

This is the right solution and I'll 'do it later™'

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

cakesmith handyman posted:

Then I'd have a trailing lead hanging around on the wall.

Moving the box is more than ONLY moving the box.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Empty Sandwich posted:

The only worthwhile hood is one that vents outside and has filters you can pull down and wash. Preferably ones that you can just run though the dishwasher, these days.

Otherwise if you like to seriously cook, you're going to end up with a thin film of dusty grease on everything you don't constantly wipe down, like the top of cupboards or fan blades.

This is why I figure any house I buy is going to end up with a kitchen reno to put the stove on an outside wall and run a proper high-CFM hood so I can go hog wild without filling the house with smoke and grease.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Liquid Communism posted:

The only worthwhile hood is one that vents outside and has filters you can pull down and wash. Preferably ones that you can just run though the dishwasher, these days.

Otherwise if you like to seriously cook, you're going to end up with a thin film of dusty grease on everything you don't constantly wipe down, like the top of cupboards or fan blades.

Ugh. This.

I love my old house, with the range located...just under a pair of windows. Best we could do was to stick a vent fan in the wall to the right. It's really too far away to do any good, but the only other thing I've found is this weird slit-type intake, sort of like a Jenn-Air range, but everything I've read about them, aside from being hideously expensive, says that they really don't work. Something about how it has to pull ventilation down through the floor so the set-up is incredibly inefficient..

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Yooper posted:

I watched a special about the Smithsonian disassembling Julia Childs' kitchen to move it to the museum and they discovered that the hood over the stove was just vented into the wall. Something like 40 years of built up gunk and grease inside of the studs. Not sure if it had an outlet somewhere far below or above but they said it was gross.

The vent at my old house was like this from 1961 to 2014.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
God, this whole conversation is hitting waaay too close to home.

The fan above my stove stopped working a couple of days ago and I know I have to get up there and take off the cover and deal with the greasy hellscape inside it before everything in my kitchen gets dirty.

But, good lord, do I not want to.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 17, 2020

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Megillah Gorilla posted:

God, this whole conversation is hitting waaay too close to home.

The fan above my stove stopped working a couple of days ago and I know I have to get up there and take off the cover and deal with the greasy hellscape inside it before everything in my kitchen gets dirty.

But, good lord, do I not want to.

Maybe you'll find something interesting like I did in mine (a mummified gecko)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Don't say that, I'm already worried there's going to be a partially blended rat in there or something worse.

Maybe I'll open it and greasy spiders will rain down on my head and stick to my face.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Spiders raining down into your food as you cook adds a pleasant zest.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
The secret is to never actually finish installing the ducting and then let it sit for sixteen years without ever using the vent..
No, my dad never cut the holes for the vent after remodeling the kitchen in 2004, why do you ask?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Moving the box is more than ONLY moving the box.

If you're implying I bury the cable I'll have to change it to wired into a fused spur which means sinking a fused spur box in the current location if I don't want the cable out in the open, basically twice the work of just sinking the socket into the wall in the current location.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

cakesmith handyman posted:

If you're implying I bury the cable I'll have to change it to wired into a fused spur which means sinking a fused spur box in the current location if I don't want the cable out in the open, basically twice the work of just sinking the socket into the wall in the current location.

Sorry, I didn't realize it was plugged into a receptacle and thought it was hardwired.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I mean... The HVAC costs are low.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

I used to work out in an MMA gym that was beneath the library parking lot, and the entrance was a shed like that.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
https://imgur.com/gallery/Lfv6Gzb

AlphaStructual posting this week's home inspection horrors

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

It was probably fine.......? Fifty years ago? Now its just old and run down.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

for a glorious moment I thought the whole house subsided one floor down.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

There's one like that in town. The guys house burned down, no insurance, and he just built a roof over the foundation. Been like that for 20 years now.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Sorry, I didn't realize it was plugged into a receptacle and thought it was hardwired.

Yeah no worries those are our glorious g-type plugs with many designed-in-safety features including the ability to turn into caltrops if left unattended in the dark.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Yooper posted:

There's one like that in town. The guys house burned down, no insurance, and he just built a roof over the foundation. Been like that for 20 years now.

Redefining 'crawlspace'

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Yooper posted:

That reminds me of earlier in this thread when we were talking about houses with two kitchens. Build a basement first with a kitchen, then the rest of the house as you can afford it (with another kitchen) . These builders stopped at step one.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

I'm imagining that after you pass through the door you start to shrink as you approach the house so that you can fit well into the house

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Told him to leave the I beams alone but noooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

MattO posted:

I'm imagining that after you pass through the door you start to shrink as you approach the house so that you can fit well into the house

lmao this