Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

And rightly so.

(Sadly as much as people wish to the contrary, including myself, they really are gone.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Zanetti is a hack.

Fire is bad - we already knew that. Economic stimulus as fuel means to say it will make things worse. And the shutddown as water means it'll make things better.
Only makes sense if the bad thing represented by fire is the economy. Or maybe capitalism.
I know some would say - hell yeah capitalism is a disaster waiting to consume us all and must be put out. But not hare-brained zanetti. He's only got a halfarsed metaphor with only the barest of surface level thinking.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

The Government is able to handle the spread of Covid-19 by having people take precautions such as proper hygiene, social distancing and using hazmat suits to limit the spread of the virus, AGC.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: Come out from under the Bed and Rule like the Thug You Said You Were

Ted Rall posted:

Donald Trump ran for president as an authoritarian strongman businessman who could get things done. Now we’re in a national crisis due to the coronavirus, and he’s hiding from the media and failing to take the kinds of steps you might expect him to take, such as curtailing international and domestic travel in a serious way.

Tags: authoritarian; schtick; strong man; Donald Trump; Melania Trump; hiding under the bed; girly man; coronavirus; covid-19

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Well-known blonde, Melania Trump. Jesus gently caress, Ted.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: Come out from under the Bed and Rule like the Thug You Said You Were

I mean he's had a press conference pretty much every day this past week so I dunno what this is about.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe
Welp, I should have plenty of time for cartoon-posting, as Gov. Sisolak just shut down all non-essential business in NV till at least April 17. Will I get laid off over the phone or by email? - The anticipation!

*Ramirez's right eye begins twitching*

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Zanetti:

Amoeba102 posted:

Zanetti is a hack.

Fire is bad - we already knew that. Economic stimulus as fuel means to say it will make things worse. And the shutddown as water means it'll make things better.
Only makes sense if the bad thing represented by fire is the economy. Or maybe capitalism.
I know some would say - hell yeah capitalism is a disaster waiting to consume us all and must be put out. But not hare-brained zanetti. He's only got a halfarsed metaphor with only the barest of surface level thinking.

For what it is worth, you shouldn’t put out a gas fire with water, it’ll increase the chance of injury. I don’t really know Zanetti, Scomo, or Aussie politics enough to say whether this makes it more or less stupid, (un)intentionally AGC. Or if I just completely missed your point. But in my case I’m reading the visual metaphors as all bad, nothing good.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
This is depressing because that guy will totally ignore the doctor and infect like 15 more people.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, driving is indeed the most dangerous thing that almost anyone does on a daily basis and people should always be considering alternatives to it.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

drat we're gonna run out of economy

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Bold move quoting a hard number in relation to an exponentially-increasing pandemic when you know you're on a two-week delay

[7954 deaths at time of posting]

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: Paying Higher Taxes for Healthcare

Ted Rall posted:

The coronavirus crisis is a classic example of how we're all in it together. What good is it if you have good healthcare if you're surrounded by contagious people who do not?

Tags: ACA, bargain, contagion, coronavirus, COVID-19, Healthcare, higher taxes, poverty, Wall Street

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Evilreaver posted:

Bold move quoting a hard number in relation to an exponentially-increasing pandemic when you know you're on a two-week delay

[7954 deaths at time of posting]

Technically it's logistically-increasing. But that looks identical to exponential growth in early stages.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Aw heck, I actually like this one. I really don't think the joke is "the coronavirus is no big deal" but rather "death is all around us and that's terrifying". Mallard being told that the virus kills less people than car accidents doesn't bring him any comfort, it just gives him one more thing to be justifiably afraid of. It doesn't matter if the death toll is "only" a few thousand, there's still a very real chance he'll be part of that thousand.

We go through life being as careful as we can, but the possibility that we get sick or have an accident is always there.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ah, another "Ramirez admits he actually hates America" cartoon :hmmyes:

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Sandpuppy posted:

Welp, I should have plenty of time for cartoon-posting, as Gov. Sisolak just shut down all non-essential business in NV till at least April 17. Will I get laid off over the phone or by email? - The anticipation!
mine will be by phone in 4 hours!

i've been reading these comics for a long time and i think it's far past the time for these "boy these two sides sure are fighting" comics to just die.
at this point we're decades past the "gentle opponents reasonably disagree" time i don't remember but every conservative comic creator holds so dear as they pen their fifth "nasty woman!!" comic of the day

Shugojin posted:

Ah, another "Ramirez admits he actually hates America" cartoon :hmmyes:
look people are going to die and it's sure as gently caress not trump's fault so...stop hogging all the medicine morons!
drat! can you believe our brave presidnt as defeated by morons?? like this was a common game of tic tac toe instead of the presidency.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Ramirez and JRRose! in an eternal struggle over who is the true master of the "Thing? No, Other Thing." technique.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
:tinsley: "Thanks, I'll keep that in mind on my drunk drive home."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MrUnderbridge posted:

Well-known blonde, Melania Trump. Jesus gently caress, Ted.

It's Ivanka.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Gaybies nomination: best edit

Nice attention to detail with using a different source for each repeated letter.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Jedit posted:

It's Ivanka.

I thought it was just some random woman at first, but there Melania Trump; in tags.
Maybe Ted also forgot which one is which.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Yeah, he specifically tagged Melania, not Ivanka.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Holy poo poo, an actually good joke? In a political cartoon? How is this possible?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/beanytuesday/status/1240311193140633602?s=19

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

I find this extremely aesthetically appealing but am completely oblivious to what's going on. Please help this gentle idiot.

E: If it's a hamfisted pun about 'coronavirus/crow on a wireless' as my wife suggested I'm gonna find the cartoonist and wring their neck

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 18, 2020

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

I find this extremely aesthetically appealing but am completely oblivious to what's going on. Please help this gentle idiot.

E: If it's a hamfisted pun about 'coronavirus/crow on a wireless' as my wife suggested I'm gonna find the cartoonist and wring their neck

It’s Loss.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Boris Johnson and the coronavirus crisis – The PM has agreed to a huge increase in government spending to support the UK economy"

Telegraph:

After Hopper.

Matt:

:what:

Independent:

Coronavirus poses existential threat, says hospitality industry

Times:

Evenng Standard:

Mail:
PAUL THOMAS on... Britain's coronavirus lockdown

FriedMyBrain
Dec 31, 2019

by Cyrano4747
A
Oh god, this. So, Kony 2012 was a weird slacktivist campaign to bring attention the misdeeds of one Joseph Kony, the leader of the Lord's Resistance Army, which is basically is this weird theocratic army that claims to be fighting the good fight against the government, but really just his own personal army for whatever he wanted. I'm oversimplifying it, but so did the campaign. The LRA especially partook in slave trade, including children, and the whole Kony 2012 phenomenon was to "make him famous" so...I guess something would be done about it? It created a stir at the time about the merits of the whole campaign, since it didn't really take any further action than just tell people Kony is a guy who exists. This culminated in the head of Kony 2012 having a meltdown and being arrested for public masturbation. Today, the LRA has dwindled in strength to the point where it is no longer seen as threat, and Kony is still at large. I assume this is due to the rise of ISIS, but I forget how deep into Africa their influence stretched.

Actually, the head of KONY 2012, wasn't arrested for masturbating. In fact, Internet Historian did two videos about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7nymZEXjf8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXAeb7Pmzjs

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

This is the article it accompanies:

https://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/nar-hele-norge-blir-en-no-go-sone/72258577, auto-translated posted:

Children in corona crisis:
When all of Norway becomes a no go zone
A defense of everyday life.

Tuesday we are going to celebrate my daughter's two year anniversary.

Don't tell her, but we bought a two-wheel bike without pedals. One that she has to push with her legs over so that she does not fly out into traffic. That way we can keep her safe.

It is pink with purple handles. We bought balloons, baked cake, and invited the closest family. Grandparents, uncles, aunts and cousins and cousins.

We had been looking forward to seeing her with a crown of cardboard in the nursery while she sipped chocolate cake with the other children. The way we had seen so many kids doing in the My Kid app kindergarten made us download.

I'm happy in this life.

Everyday life with the trips to the nursery, the perpetual quarrel about washing, drying, placement in the dishwasher, clothes not to be put in the washing machine, the filter to be cleaned and toilets to be washed.

But now it might be over.

BECAUSE TODAY NO ONE COMES. The nursery is closed. And I've told the rest of the condominium team to stay away. It's no big deal. The two-year-old, however, will not remember it.

But through the window I see youth, children and others playing on. A playground full of children who remember, dump, slide, climb on a tripod and playground.

Which plays on as if this is not the end of life as we know it. And I hope they are right.

I AM UNIQUE. And a little scared. But I try not to show it. We do not have quarantine. We have not been on a ski holiday in Austria.

But suddenly all the door handles, shop visits and play equipment are a threat.

Suddenly it is disgusting to go to the local Rema 1000 store with its empty shelves, no yeast, no toilet paper, and the crispbreads I am so fond of.

"I remember it first and foremost as a great time".

I was surprised by the answer. I had asked my uncle how he remembered the war.

But it was not the German soldiers, the war, the bombs, the deportation of the local Sachnowitz family, or the concentration camp with the Russian prisoners that had impressed him.

"It was so cozy. After all, we were not allowed to listen to the radio. So Mom and Dad were just concerned about me. They told stories we played and sang, "my uncle, who was four years old when the war began, told me.

There are many similar stories. About children who, even in the midst of the storm's eye, do not get the storm itself. As in the movie "Life is Wonderful," where the father manages to hide the cruel truth for the son by pretending that everything was just as if it were.

Or as in the true story of a group of scout girls held in a Japanese concentration camp in China. The adults managed to hide the cruel truth behind scouting.

My uncle was lucky. For it is a privilege to have the opportunity to remember only the pleasant. When I studied Russian in Minsk in 1998, I rented a room to an elderly lady who had seen both parents die at the beginning of the war.

She lived with her little sisters as street children in the ruins of Minsk through the war, and barely managed to survive the war by eating grass and crumbling the German soldiers left behind.

If she and her sister met, they drank vodka in complete silence. And if I asked what they remembered from the war, they didn't even bother to answer.

Why would they tell me.

NO ONE has portrayed the children's experience of World War II better than the 1985 film Go and See.

There we experience the atrocities through the eyes of 14-year-old Fljoras.

There is no room for sentimentality in the film. No one is trying to hide the violence, the cruelty behind storytelling or fantasy friends.

There is only the naked truth, a whole village stripped and killed behind a house, cows being shot with machine guns, women and children burned inside a church, and no one trying to make a story that justifies the evil.

Director Elem Klimov never made any more films. He had said what he wanted to say.

"Some are coming, some are going, some are dying in the spring of life," Jens Gunderssen wrote in "Vuggevise".

That's why so many children's songs and rules are about death.

"Danger, danger warrior. You must suffer death ». Whether it is Blåmann who dies or Blå beard that matches women.

It is to make the children competent to cope with loss and grief.

"Children must be allowed to read about Rome before traveling there," as one Norwegian publisher said when she was criticized for publishing children's books with sex scenes.

In the same way, we may have to dare to stand this with the children. By taking responsibility for everything that is difficult and uncertain. We should not hide it. But we have to bear it.

Few places in Norway, the apartments are as small and dark as in my neighborhood here in Greenland. Nowhere do the children live so tight, and nowhere are there so many poor families.

I look at them right now, here I am sitting in my deployed home office. And I don't quite understand how it should be possible to force them to choose the cramped apartment in front of the sunny parks and playgrounds.

Children must bear the burden of protecting the elderly, it is said. But the burden is not divided equally whether you live in a villa or in a narrow apartment in Borggata.

"You may have grown up in Norway. I have grown up in a completely different place, ”a Norwegian 15-year-old told me once.

It made a huge impression. Because he was right. His upbringing in no way resembled that of myself and my children have had.

Now that we as a nation have been hit by an incredible crisis, it is time we decide how our children will remember it.

If it becomes a story that they cannot tell. Or a rage they would rather leave unsaid.

fake edit: gently caress, this is long, sorry

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

That was my first thought but I just couldn't see it without it being a huge stretch. Oh well.

E:/\/\/\ Thanks you, that really deepens the impact of such a simple image to know what it accompanies. It's very 'Chris Ware bar napkin doodle'.

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 18, 2020

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

That was my first thought but I just couldn't see it without it being a huge stretch. Oh well.

No, the huge stretch is goatse

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

The French gently caress