Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I'm staff these days, but management was still really cagey about letting me telework. Like, they wouldn't say don't do it, but it was never "yes! Stay home!" It was:

"Well, if you have work that can be done, telework. If not, come in or use leave. "

I'm thinking, what if I come in and don't have work that can be done? Why wouldn't I have work that could be done? I have a job don't I? What is it you think I do? Wait a second....Why don't you know what I do?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Now SLC and S86 are atc zero due to a loving earthquake. It's actually the end times!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I'm listening to the MDW CTAF at https://www.liveatc.net/hlisten.php?mount=kmdw_1&icao=kmdw
Is it normal for people to pattern work and touch and gos at Midway?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

If I lived near Chicago and MDW was ATC-0, you bet your rear end I’d be doing touch and goes, even if it were just to piss off the airport authority.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

If I lived near Chicago and MDW was ATC-0, you bet your rear end I’d be doing touch and goes, even if it were just to piss off the airport authority.

This Cessna 172 is living your dream and making 2-3 SWA 737s look for him http://www.aviationdb.com/Aviation/Aircraft/5/N54135.shtm

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
This site is cool too:

https://www.airportviewer.com/airport/KMDW

Other airports available as well.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Everything's cool here at ZSE- we have nitrile gloves (large only), extra paper towels to open doors with, and lots of hand sanitizer that the supervisors refill with larger bottles.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm listening to the MDW CTAF at https://www.liveatc.net/hlisten.php?mount=kmdw_1&icao=kmdw
Is it normal for people to pattern work and touch and gos at Midway?

The ghost of Meigs is finally avenged and at peace

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
LAS is apparently ATC zero now. I haven't seen anything official but corona seems like a likely culprit.

Are they going to ATC zero the larger tracons/centers when it gets in?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Apologies for being dumb, I follow this thread what does ATC-Zero mean?

simble
May 11, 2004

Nobody's home. Empty facility. No controllers.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

Are they going to ATC zero the larger tracons/centers when it gets in?

Still no hand sanitizer. One container of disinfectant wipes for the entire control room, on the watch desk.

But at least we have a discofan.

When a center gets a positive test, we’ll see exactly how serious they are, I suppose.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

my friend on group chat posted:

Someone said airlines are calling the TRACON for push clearances.... LMAO
confirm/deny? :lol:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Still no hand sanitizer. One container of disinfectant wipes for the entire control room, on the watch desk.

But at least we have a discofan.

When a center gets a positive test, we’ll see exactly how serious they are, I suppose.

They're so woefully unprepared for this and I don't feel like they've actually made any plans in the time they've had since this poo poo started.

vessbot posted:

confirm/deny? :lol:

Probably. It's an uncontrolled field now and therefore one in, one out. It'll be real fun when the tracon goes down and you get center people having to try and deal with this poo poo. Some have fairly busy low sectors that deal with a lot of aircraft going in and out of places, others don't. My old area at ZKC was supposed to take over T75 if they went ATC zero and I don't think that the agency understood that it meant STL would be one in, one out even though they have a tower because we flat out didn't know anything else.

e: There's someone that I'm pretty sure is from ZDV that's saying that we have a "presumptive positive". Someone has symptoms and strep and flu tests were negative. They naturally haven't been tested for Corona and they just sent the person home. :allears:

fknlo fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 19, 2020

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
They've provided temporary parking passes for display in our cars so the guards don't have to physically grab our badges and scan them. Only problem is that no one told the guards about this.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

An R-school developmental just got tested, waiting on results. His girlfriend went to Switzerland and came back with a confirmed case.

HERE WE GO.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

An R-school developmental just got tested, waiting on results. His girlfriend went to Switzerland and came back with a confirmed case.

HERE WE GO.

Good thing he was in the building!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MrYenko posted:

HERE WE GO.

I feel like this pandemic would be much less bad if people just weren’t so loving stupid.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Weird, the FAA just booted all non-essential people from the building. I wonder what that could be in reaction to? :thunk:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Sitting here waiting for them to send the rest of the trainees home as well. We're just hanging out since our natca rep (who's a cpc in my area) made the decision to have us self study unless they page us for a D-side.
Help out with that social distancing.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
One of my friends pointed out over a week ago that they needed to boot all the d side trainees and poo poo out of the area as it's just a bunch of useless bodies sitting on top of each other spreading diseases. The union told her that it was an unnecessary move and wasn't going to happen.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

One of my friends pointed out over a week ago that they needed to boot all the d side trainees and poo poo out of the area as it's just a bunch of useless bodies sitting on top of each other spreading diseases. The union told her that it was an unnecessary move and wasn't going to happen.

We had (adjacent) sectors split with less than three or four airplanes per sector and a floating D-side (not doing a loving thing) LAST NIGHT.

Personally, I'm gonna see just how liberal their sick leave policy REALLY is.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

We had (adjacent) sectors split with less than three or four airplanes per sector and a floating D-side (not doing a loving thing) LAST NIGHT.

Personally, I'm gonna see just how liberal their sick leave policy REALLY is.

I have become stuffed up and my throat has a slight tickle. Neither are really symptoms of the virus but I wonder if I'll get sent home?

e: at least 2 people here have been sent home but they can't get tested so everything is fine.

e2: multiple checkrides to get people their first 2 D's too.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 19, 2020

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Can't wait until a Bravo goes ATC-0.

That poo poo is going to be nuts.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Could get interesting at JFK tomorrow. Supposed to be operating there in the morning. Needless to say I'll be checking OIS before getting in the van.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
It has hit the centers. At least 3 areas at ZID are shut down and they may be going atc zero? Good thing that the areas in a center are their own separate thing and no one interacts.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If centers start closing does that mean that airliners would have to fly VFR?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

If centers start closing does that mean that airliners would have to fly VFR?

If they want to stay below FL180 and their company allows it. Realistically you get this:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Or they just re-classify airspace on an emergency basis and they fly IFR in uncontrolled airspace. That is an option, we do pretty frequently in northern Canada. It would represent a huge cut in system capacity, but it's doable especially if flights are restricted to essential flights only.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PT6A posted:

Or they just re-classify airspace on an emergency basis and they fly IFR in uncontrolled airspace. That is an option, we do pretty frequently in northern Canada. It would represent a huge cut in system capacity, but it's doable especially if flights are restricted to essential flights only.

Uh, do you do one in one out for an entire airway? :stare:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Uh, do you do one in one out for an entire airway? :stare:

Nope! We have "air routes" which are entirely uncontrolled, and in uncontrolled airspace there is no requirement to operate with a clearance from air traffic control. We have the common enroute frequency up here, which is 126.7, and you work out conflicts yourself.

Obviously this is not a workable system with any kind of traffic density, but there are levels of air service which can be maintained for essential flights even in the absence of ATC.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
They have TCAS- they can sort it out themselves.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

its all nice on rice posted:

That's basically how they've been doing it :v:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

its all nice on rice posted:

This but unironically.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
There's a pretty good network of low level approaches touching each other and the big approaches as well so I imagine they'll end up doing what they did after the ZAU fire and tunnel people going to the major airports down through the approach controls. Any further west and that's not possible, and they may not have to do that anyway as the plan seems to be to clean a couple areas and then go about business as usual.

e: It's obvious, but the agency is loving blowing this and doing nothing but their usual reactionary bullshit. They need to be doing whatever the gently caress they can to get their hands on tests and also need to be doing temp screens when you show up to work. This is going to get out of hand so fast and cleaning parts of buildings isn't going to do poo poo.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 20, 2020

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ZMA’s trainee tested negative. I guess we’ll see if management takes this seriously going forwards, or if we’re just gonna drive this loving thing onto the first confirmed case.

(Lol I can’t wait to catch Coronavirus at work)

:suicide:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

ZMA’s trainee tested negative. I guess we’ll see if management takes this seriously going forwards, or if we’re just gonna drive this loving thing onto the first confirmed case.

(Lol I can’t wait to catch Coronavirus at work)

:suicide:

At least your people are getting tested!

e: email from my old facility on what's going on at ZID

quote:

What a week this has been! I wanted to update all of you with the most up to date information that I have. I say that "tongue-in-cheek" because information literally changes by the hour. By now you're heard and dealt with the closings at MDW, LAS, and ZID. Since we are a center, I’d like to share some information from the ZID FacRep about how the facility dealt with 3 positive tests.

"The health department just left. I am still at the facility. This is what I know or what I was told as of 0305.
1. All area 3, 5, 6, controllers are all on admin leave and need to have their phones ready and are subject to recall. Area 3,5,6 airspace will remain ATC zero during this time. Contingency plans will be developed over time.
2. The Health department and CDC will issue an action plan sometime Friday or later. Closing the entire facility was discussed. The final decision remains with the CDC and the FAA.
3. I asked for each ZID controller to be tested. The Marion County health department will try to begin testing of all controllers tomorrow at 1200. They can test a maximum of 60. The agency will develop a plan to test.
4. They are closing the 3 areas on recommendation from the health officials due to the direct contact with the employee.
5. A cleaning crew will be coming in soon to clean the 3 areas.
6. This is a very very fluid situation. Changes will be made.”

As of noon today the 3 east areas of ZID remain closed and ZOB, ZME, and ZTL have assumed some of the airspace. Please make sure you take a look at ZKC’s contingency plans in ERIDS as we may take on or give up airspace in the future.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 20, 2020

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
We're training a D side right now. The one we certified the other day so he wouldn't have to send home. He'd normally have to season but they just waived that and are loving training him again. They've also restricted entry into the building to the sliding doors by the admin wing. They planned on propping open the outer door so no one would have to touch anything, but it's below freezing and they're worried about the sprinkler pipe freezing. So every single person that comes in the building is touching the same handle.

Just absolutely amazing things happening in the agency.

e: reddit saying ZNY has a confirmed case.

It snowed here a couple days ago and there was no snow removal done. Everything leading up to the one open entrance is solid ice. They had some supervisors go out and clean it up. Rumor is that we used our entire snow removal budget and that's why nothing was done.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 21, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

This seems bad
https://twitter.com/NYCAviation/status/1241424691262304257

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

They’ve started resuming again, according to my ATC buddy at ISP.