Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
my technology challenged uncle and aunt have left paris for their secondary house in the rear end end of brittany and they have neither a TV or an internet connection so they have to listen to the news in their car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Sagebrush posted:

Lol what the gently caress
isn't one of the gbs mods in their 70s or something?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

isn't one of the gbs mods in their 70s or something?

genesplicer is about that, yes

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Buff Hardback posted:

i had put in my paperwork at my job for my last day being the 23rd, and due to the mechanics of working for a school district, they were sitting with their head in the sand about preparing for wfh

so i told my boss "lol this is dumb i'm changing my resignation date to tomorrow if we're not gonna enable wfh until we're absolutely forced to"

and then the county shut down so i'm not even sure if i have to even pretend to wfh tomorrow

kinda weird saying goodbye to your job when it's entirely wfh

so the answer is no, i will not be wfh since my account is already disabled

cool thanks

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001
Skype for business really loving sucks. I don’t think I can handle a month of this poo poo.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

bump_fn posted:

is this poster still alive

i'm fine, unless it gets worse again I think I'm recovering already

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

welp. day three and webex has already poo poo the bed for us. our entire company is basically dead in the water lol

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

back at good screen

thank god that i can use the kitchen counter as a standing desk

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

PIZZA.BAT posted:

welp. day three and webex has already poo poo the bed for us. our entire company is basically dead in the water lol

our SIP provider took a poo poo a little before webex did for us. all their inbound routing for toll-free numbers croaked :rip:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
we scheduled a daily 2pm video call with the group to stay sane lol

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I had teleconference lunch with some folks a few days ago; it was good

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

supervisor tried to schedule an impromptu huddle but no one can connect to the webex audio

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

bump_fn posted:

we scheduled a daily 2pm video call with the group to stay sane lol

we have a 24/7 channel set up now and ppl just ping in the social channel "hey on the hangout zoom". it's nice and is helping a bit

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Jonny 290 posted:

we have a 24/7 channel set up now and ppl just ping in the social channel "hey on the hangout zoom". it's nice and is helping a bit

this was a very successful tactic for me when we did a lot of remote stuff

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

PIZZA.BAT posted:

https://twitter.com/mmariansky/status/1222121466864586752?s=12

Kind Friend
Sep 9, 2013

this whole experience is teaching me that i dont handle uncertainty well.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
jfc our gas furnance just poo poo the bed
yay cold showers, no heating, and Teams

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm up to using 3 out of 4 of my workplaces chat technologies

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Kind Friend posted:

this whole experience is teaching me that i dont handle uncertainty well.

loving sucks, yeah

finally (after waiting 4 hours) my boss got back to me and there will be poo poo i can do remotely. was kind of hoping i could use pto a little longer lol, oh well. but having a definite plan is good.

now the real question will be for how long i'm doing this. who knows!!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

lancemantis posted:

I'm up to using 3 out of 4 of my workplaces chat technologies

i'm rocking teams, email, and two RDSes.

we've had teams for ages, but me and maybe two other people ever bothered to get acquainted with it, so a bunch of coworkers have been essentially incommunicado due to their incompetence and willful ignorance.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

President Beep posted:

i'm rocking teams, email, and two RDSes.

we've had teams for ages, but me and maybe two other people ever bothered to get acquainted with it, so a bunch of coworkers have been essentially incommunicado due to their incompetence and willful ignorance.

what the gently caress did we say about signing posts

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it still blows my loving mind that everybody hasn't normalized on slack and zoom. imagining these hellcompanies full of blue-shirt work-lanyard-still-on-at-the-Chili's-lunch-break managers, ugh

(motorola was like that so i Know)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
we use bluejeans for all our videoconferencing and its been rock solid for us

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Imagine paying for zoom when you're already fedora-deep in Microsoft licensing

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

it still blows my loving mind that everybody hasn't normalized on slack and zoom. imagining these hellcompanies full of blue-shirt work-lanyard-still-on-at-the-Chili's-lunch-break managers, ugh

there's a shitload of big, old, gross companies full of big, old, gross software and big, old, gross management.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
My team has a daily office hours video call where they hang out. Major fomo cause I always sleep through it.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
being on the meet team, we use it. everyone is working 12 hour days on scaling.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

JumpinJackFlash posted:

Skype for business really loving sucks. I don’t think I can handle a month of this poo poo.

I think if I were still forced to conduct all my work over Skype for business I'd just go out and catch the virus to get it over with

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

google didn't build it for scale to begin with? lol

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

having subs to all of these, it seems hard to justify the paid version of slack when GSuite or Microsoft have somewhat acceptable versions of video conferencing and a chat suite. my member companies cultures all suck at using chat or Teams though. of course zoom is the least worst IME with great support for platforms and phone backup, but I’ve never seen the bill for that

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Tell your boss that until we get the funny hats and filters from Hangouts meet will never be a serious competitor

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
yeah we been using the google meet stuff and it seems to work fine

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
hangouts meet has worked better for me than ringcentral yeah

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

Hawaiian airlines just said my fiance can't get on the plane home from JFK to HNL. She was in the UK yesterday, and they told her it is a new policy that you have to wait 14 days. American Airlines seems to not have this policy, at least the people on the phone don't think so. Fingers crossed.

hope you can be with your woman soon bro

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Penisface posted:

back at good screen

lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

it still blows my loving mind that everybody hasn't normalized on slack and zoom.

about half of the professors here have started using slack to coordinate stuff that would normally happen in person and it's working well

the other half of the professors have hit the roof because they don't want to use slack but knowing that other people are talking about stuff in it makes them feel excluded, so now they're insisting that no one should be permitted to discuss university business in any channel they don't want to use (and are coming up with bullshit justifications like "security" and "the contract")

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

also i'm really tortured about whether i should require students to have video on during our "class" sessions.

i don't want to invade their privacy, and i know that many of them are in uncertain living situations right now, may not have fast internet, might have to share space with family members, etc.

but

it's so much better when everyone can see each other. a disembodied voice and a list of names is not a replacement for a classroom. people are already socially isolated and it's just getting worse and people need to talk to one another and feel like they're still connected. i am getting like 10% of the student engagement that i normally get in person; nobody asks questions any more, people can't chat with one another on the side. plus i hate lecturing to a blank screen in my apartment.

it blows

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

also i'm really tortured about whether i should require students to have video on during our "class" sessions.

i don't want to invade their privacy, and i know that many of them are in uncertain living situations right now, may not have fast internet, might have to share space with family members, etc.

but

it's so much better when everyone can see each other. a disembodied voice and a list of names is not a replacement for a classroom. people are already socially isolated and it's just getting worse and people need to talk to one another and feel like they're still connected. plus i hate lecturing to a blank screen in my apartment.

it blows

Give people the option during lectures and schedule short video one-on-ones to check in with your students that aren't doing video in class? That would be a little less intimidating maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

suffix posted:

finally it's second lifes time to shine in education