Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

Those were my thoughts on it. Plus from what I hear the Ghostbusters UHD finally has the proper color grading. And the complete ghost blowjob sequence as a special feature.

The Ghostbusters UHD is fine, but it's not that impressive overall, mostly because an excellent blu ray remaster came out a few years ago. But yes it does have the ghostjob scene on the disc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hate that the only good version of Predator is on a different format

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CelticPredator posted:

I hate that the only good version of Predator is on a different format
Predator 2 is on Blu-ray.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah those BTTF releases are rough. To the degree that I'm tempted to track down a fan restoration.

There's an HDTV version that looks better than the BD, but it can be hard to find: https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=874&d2=4005&s1=37253&s2=37257&i=4&l=0

CPL593H posted:

If I can play the UHD but don't have a 4K tv or whatever the gently caress will I still have the benefit of the movie not looking like trash? I know this is a kind of "blu-ray player on a CRT screen" situation amd the disc won't be shown to its full potential but will it be worth bothering at all?

Absolutely. Even downscaled it will look much, much better than any of the BDs.

I watched it recently and was in awe (1080 projector, 108" screen).

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

i know slip covers dont matter, but dammit... I will not stand for this non-uniformity.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I bought the 6 pack which was great but now they’re gonna release two more! They better both be good or both suck, and they best be the last drat films! Cruise is like 55, right?

Also 2 is so boring and bad, but the rest absolutely rock. A favorite series of mine.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

dorium posted:

i know slip covers dont matter, but dammit... I will not stand for this non-uniformity.

Just get rid of the slip covers and they'll all be the same.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’ve got the James Bond 50th anniversary DVD set and I’ve been considering upgrading it to Blu-ray, but I always feel like an idiot buying a box set of a series when I know a new movie (and therefore new box set) is coming.

I only recently got the box sets for the Resident Evil and Underworld series because of this.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CPL593H posted:

All six discs would fit comfortably on one binder page too.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

All six discs would fit comfortably on one binder page too.

poo poo, get them digitally and then you don’t have to worry about the discs or a binder at all.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

no... because i already purchased a slip-cover.

UNIFORMITY

:smuggo:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

no... because i already purchased a slip-cover.

UNIFORMITY

:smuggo:

What you should have done was sell the slip covers to some weirdos online who can't stand have the identical cardboard thing that slides over the case. How do I get in on that scam?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I throw my slip covers out UNLESS it’s something cool like a lenticular cover that changes when you tilt it because I am a total sucker for that poo poo, or it’s got some other kind of clever gimmick. Like my Iron Man 1 slipcover shows Tony Stark in the Iron Man suit, but there’s a hole in the cover where the arc reactor shows through. And then when you remove the slip cover, the inner case is Tony Stark out of the suit.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

What you should have done was sell the slip covers to some weirdos online who can't stand have the identical cardboard thing that slides over the case. How do I get in on that scam?

https://www.bluraysforeveryone.com/category-s/110.htm

already doing it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

caligulamprey posted:

Predator 2 is my favorite predator movie

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

Who could have predicted a back to the future release being a mess that pisses people off. Has any other franchise had as many botched releases as that?

A lot of it is because Universal was bad about reusing transfers way past their shelf life until relatively recently. The 2001 DVD of Spartacus released by Criterion and the Blu-ray released by Universal in 2010 are from the same master created in 2000 (they did do a full from-the-ground-up 4K restoration in 2015). The vast majority of their Blu-rays released before 2015 were from 1080p masters meant for downsampling to SD DVD or highly compressed broadcast. With Back to the Future, they weren't doing anything new, just repurposing.

The great thing, though, is that 99% of anything coming from Universal since about 2013-2014 is fantastic. They switched their standard mastering/transferring procedure to 6K scans with full 4K workflow. But before there would be the occasional new master, but virtually any pre-1999 film would be from masters intended for TV and DVD. That's also why Universal-licensed titles with Arrow, Criterion, and Kino are often sparkling new 4K masters because even minor films are at least getting a 4K transfer, if not a full restoration in 4K.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Attention, if you're US based and you've wanted to buy the Adventure Time Australian released blu ray seasons or preorder those IMPRINT limited edition flicks there has never been a better time because our dollar is absolutely catering thanks to covid19.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Criterion has announced the June line-up, and boy it's a good one.

An Unmarried Woman

The Cameraman

Portrait of a Lady on Fire

Come and See

and a re-issue of Tokyo Olympiad

caligulamprey posted:

Speaking of which, has the NC-17 cut ever seen the light of day?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know, but how can I get in on selling losers this useless poo poo?

Vagabundo posted:

Speaking of which, has the NC-17 cut ever seen the light of day?

Nope. I'm guessing we never will. From what I've seen floating around it seems like one of those things that only exists as VHS workprint if it exists at all (RIP Event Horizon director's cut).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I, Butthole posted:

Attention, if you're US based and you've wanted to buy the Adventure Time Australian released blu ray seasons or preorder those IMPRINT limited edition flicks there has never been a better time because our dollar is absolutely catering thanks to covid19.

This is me then (for Adventure Time). Does anyone here know of a good site to use?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

IUG posted:

This is me then (for Adventure Time). Does anyone here know of a good site to use?

I think JB Hi Fi (jbhifi.com.au) ships internationally.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I, Butthole posted:

Did your country stop being on fire yet?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

CPL593H posted:

Did your country stop being on fire yet?

Yup. We just got the bug now like everyone else.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Lizard Combatant posted:

Yup. We just got the bug now like everyone else.

You mother fuckers can't get a break.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I, Butthole posted:

It turns out that paypal currently does not agree with you.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
What's even different about the NC-17 Predator 2? Does anyone know for sure? It's always felt like one of those things where you can't be 100% sure if it actually ever existed or if it's apocryphal, and there's not really any obvious gore edits in the movie.

e: yeah, a quick google tells me it's more or less 100% apocryphal, may not exist at all, and if the movie did have to be trimmed for gore it was most likely pre-MPAA.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 19, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

What's even different about the NC-17 Predator 2? Does anyone know for sure? It's always felt like one of those things where you can't be 100% sure if it actually ever existed or if it's apocryphal, and there's not really any obvious gore edits in the movie.

There are a few cuts in the regular version that seem odd, so maybe the NC-17 version doesn't cut as quickly. For instance, in one of the first scenes where the naked guy is stabbed, the cut is very abrupt and makes me think they intended to actually show the knife going in.

There's also a sex scene/nudity right before that so maybe it was supposed to be even more graphic.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

CPL593H posted:

It turns out that paypal currently does not agree with you.

Our dollar is only worth 0.56usd so I don't know what fuckery paypal is doing

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I, Butthole posted:

Our dollar is only worth 0.56usd so I don't know what fuckery paypal is doing

I wanted to buy that new Chats record because it's sold out on the US site because of price gouging jerkoffs and it still rings up as like 60 bucks from Australia when you add shipping. I'm not sure if the price is in freedom gun money or Koala bucks. But from what I saw on paypal it's going to cost me 60 bucks US plus an outrageous conversion fee that's like 20 bucks. I was going to use my debit card but I want to be 100% sure I'm getting it as the current AUS rates. Would you be able to tell me which money this price is:

https://bandtshirts.com.au/buy/the-chats/9550-high-risk-behavior-limited-edition-piss-vinyl

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

I wanted to buy that new Chats record
You were going to buy a record?! :aaaaa:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

CPL593H posted:

I wanted to buy that new Chats record because it's sold out on the US site because of price gouging jerkoffs and it still rings up as like 60 bucks from Australia when you add shipping. I'm not sure if the price is in freedom gun money or Koala bucks. But from what I saw on paypal it's going to cost me 60 bucks US plus an outrageous conversion fee that's like 20 bucks. I was going to use my debit card but I want to be 100% sure I'm getting it as the current AUS rates. Would you be able to tell me which money this price is:

https://bandtshirts.com.au/buy/the-chats/9550-high-risk-behavior-limited-edition-piss-vinyl

It's saying $40 for me, which is about right for a record locally. It's the same here via jb https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/vinyl-chats-the-high-risk-behaviour-piss-yellow-vinyl-lp but they might be cheaper to ship internationally?

Also you should buy the Cosmic Psychos discography instead of The Chats, because they're the real deal and not some snotty coastal rich kids cosplaying working class Australians

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just bought the last four seasons of Adventure Time. Checkout said it was $111.92 after shipping, which Google told me was about $65. I paid on my credit card instead of Paypal though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
UHD...

the blacks are actually black :stare:

e: this is what I always wished Blu-rays looked like. 5th Element was a good first choice. There are so many textures.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 19, 2020

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

UHD...

the blacks are actually black :stare:

e: this is what I always wished Blu-rays looked like. 5th Element was a good first choice. There are so many textures.

God damnit, I already own it on DVD, bluray, and bluray again for the remaster. Don't make me buy it a fourth time, even if it is my favorite movie. (I don't have an OLED, so I won't get those blacks anyways.)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I, Butthole posted:

It's saying $40 for me, which is about right for a record locally. It's the same here via jb https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/vinyl-chats-the-high-risk-behaviour-piss-yellow-vinyl-lp but they might be cheaper to ship internationally?

Also you should buy the Cosmic Psychos discography instead of The Chats, because they're the real deal and not some snotty coastal rich kids cosplaying working class Australians

If it makes you feel any better before I even thought of the Chats I went to discogs for Birthday Party albums but even with your currency taking a nose dive they were still way too loving expensive. I'll check out Cosmic Psychos though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e: yeah, a quick google tells me it's more or less 100% apocryphal, may not exist at all, and if the movie did have to be trimmed for gore it was most likely pre-MPAA.
Where did you get this info? There’s never been a NC-17 cut of Predator 2. It’s been the same movie since it came out in 1990, I think. At least if the VHS I bought as a kid was the original version.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Where did you get this info? There’s never been a NC-17 cut of Predator 2. It’s been the same movie since it came out in 1990, I think. At least if the VHS I bought as a kid was the original version.

The first version of the film submitted to the MPAA was given an NC-17 rating. It's known about and you can find a handful of lovely screen caps but I doubt anyone outside of the film industry ever saw it. Basically it's gorier and you kinda see a penis for a second.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

dorium posted:

I'm more pissed they changed the design on 6.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Vince MechMahon posted:

yea I blame that on just being the newest one to hit UHD. A shame, but understandable. I really dig the covers of the older movies for UHD tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted: