Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Since my work was shut down, I'm going to have a lot of free time around here when I'm not playing video games or analyzing the prequels to own the haters in prequeldome.

This was a wonderful suggestion from Squizzle, so come hang out in the cytube and listen along with us: https://cytu.be/r/somethingwentwrong

Gonna do try to do this at 1 PM PST each day if I can. I'll make a post here when I go live.

There's plenty of audio dramas to choose from on youtube, from adaptations of the movies, fan audio drams, audiobook versions of novels like Dark Empire. I haven't listened to any of them so I'm just as blind as you! If you have any specific requests, feel free to post them here in the thread. We can also cytube other things too like funny fan animations, vinyl rips of Star Wars soundtracks, or even a certain Shadows of the Empire LP.

Hope to see you guys there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
I'm at work and can't access your link but I can contribute to the thread my impressions of the NPR production of the Empire Strikes Back which I heard recently!

• Mark Hamil, Anthony Daniels, and Billy Dee Williams reprise their roles, which is pretty awesome. Lando even has a bigger part here than he did in the film.

• In general the whole production has this endearing goofiness to it that I found charming. Some of it is just part of the format itself but I suspect a lot of it is a holdover from the previous audio production for Star Wars, which had much the same crew behind it, and the tone is pitch-perfect for an adaptation for THAT movie. While it's great fun to listen to, I think it does miss some of the qualities that made Empire the movie stand out from the rest of the series.

• Hold on to your butts because Darth Vader is voiced by none other than Brock Peters and it is EVERY bit as wild to hear as you imagine it is! His is a much more emotive take on Darth (like with the rest of the production it's more in line with the original film than with Empire). The "I am your father" scene needs to be heard to be believed.

• Hands down the biggest disappointment for me was John Lithgow as Yoda. I mean, that sounds like it should be amazing, right? But his Yoda is permanently stuck in the obnoxious and goofy mode that in the movie was supposed to be an act that he eventually drops, and moreover he just sounds dumb. He sounds more like a hobo than a wise sage.

• While the voice actress for Leia doesn't sound like Carrie Fisher, I thought she did a good job conveying the character.

• Han Solo is interesting - he has a more nasal quality to his voice and I picture him being stockier and less handsome than the screen version, but his scoundrel-ness seems more like a put-on here and that he's a nicer guy deep-down. He and Leia seem more like an Odd Couple pairing here than in the movie.

• Since of course there's no visual component many scenes have the characters saying out loud whatever it is they're doing and it's all once again very charmingly goofy. You get stuff like "Thanks for answering my call over the viewscreen, Admiral, it will be the last one you ever make more, for now I am using the power of the force to choke you to death! Such is the terrible price one pays for repeatedly failing me, Darth Vader!"

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Personal business came up for me today, but I'll try to start this on Saturday.