Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Weird sex stuff is a major theme in the kinds of myths and stories Fate draws from so it'd be a notable omission if it didn't have any

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Weird sex stuff is a major theme in the kind of of myths and stories Fate draws from so it'd be a notable omission if it didn't have any
Yeah like Medb's superpower being how good she is at riding dudes is just how she is in the actual myths

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Oh I have no issues with that, it just took me by surprise because outside of some mild innuendo and one or two sort of hidden scenes, the weird sex stuff isn't touched on in Fate/Extra.

It looks like some of the anime series are on Netflix, are any worth watching?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

What does it say about me as a person that I watched this, and my first thought was, "I really need to sit down and watch Videodrome one of these days."

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Ornamented Death posted:

Oh I have no issues with that, it just took me by surprise because outside of some mild innuendo and one or two sort of hidden scenes, the weird sex stuff isn't touched on in Fate/Extra.

Unlimited Blade Works and Fate/Zero are a big yes. Fate/Apocrypha is more shaky. I liked it, but plenty of people didn't and I can understand why.

Haven;t heard great things about Fate/Extra Last Encore though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ornamented Death posted:

What servant did you use in F/E out of curiosity? Tamamo is way heavier on it.

Also, I'm not big inti Fate/Zero but some people like it and its pretty standalone. Unlimited Blade Works is decent but its very obviously an adaptation of one route of a visual novel that expects you to do all three routes, taken as its own thing some of the cast are really underexplored.

Fate/Apocrypha has too many characters and the lead is really boring but there's some good action scenes and really good side characters. None of them will blow your mind but they're all decent.

Skip the Fate/Extra anime tho

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Draga posted:

Unlimited Blade Works and Fate/Zero are a big yes. Fate/Apocrypha is more shaky. I liked it, but plenty of people didn't and I can understand why.

Thanks!

Endorph posted:

What servant did you use in F/E out of curiosity? Tamamo is way heavier on it.

Also, I'm not big inti Fate/Zero but some people like it and its pretty standalone. Unlimited Blade Works is decent but its very obviously an adaptation of one route of a visual novel that expects you to do all three routes, taken as its own thing some of the cast are really underexplored.

Fate/Apocrypha has too many characters and the lead is really boring but there's some good action scenes and really good side characters. None of them will blow your mind but they're all decent.

Skip the Fate/Extra anime tho

I used Saber and did the Rin route. I'll eventually go back and play the other two servants, doing the Rani route with at least one of them.

And thanks for the info about the animes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah Nero leans into it some but Tamamo's on one. And Archer is volcel.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Reiterpallasch posted:

wait, langrisser 1 has branching paths now?

The PS4 collection has added a bunch of branching paths, and you can step back through the tree to replay old levels.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The Colonel posted:

i don't think being too serious is gonna be a problem with ff7 remake considering how much of the demo was goofy character bits between cloud and barret

Don't forget them making Jess being about as subtle as a nuclear blast in her desire to gently caress Cloud.

Draga posted:

Unlimited Blade Works has the worst ending I've seen other than the original FMA anime's ending. I wish Archer had succeeded in killing his stupid rear end human kid self even if it wouldn't have saved Archer from his hellish eternity. :colbert:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean. the point of ubw's ending is that he's grown to a point where there's a chance archer would no longer have any reason to do that

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 18, 2020

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

The Colonel posted:

i mean. the point of ubw's ending is that he's grown to a point where there's a chance archer would no longer have any reason to do that

Though it’s also implied he was going to end up in that situation anyway just you know made his piece with it.

Which is kind of a dark ending so I can see why some wouldn’t like it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
thats why hf is the best route

and fha is the best og fate universe thing

anyway i hope fate/extra ccc gets translated some day or else i'm going to learn enough japanese to play it before then

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I actually like UBW most.

The bittersweet ending works without being overly bitter

It’s nice to see a person deciding to stick to his principles but not have the consequences getting erased.

It gives it more an impact

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
fate zero is the doors of fate

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I just beat the trials of mana remake demo. Well, beat it with one set of characters, since they're all in it. It's just the beginning two hours of the game, and it has save transfer to the full game too.

It's really fun! It's totally reminding me of PS2 era action RPGs, and in a good way. It looks and feels pretty polished, although the voice acting also reminds me of PS2, in a bad way. sticks out as pretty low quality by today's standards. there's a whole lot of flat delivery going on. But i'm really glad a game like this is actually coming out of square in this day and age.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wow, Trials of Mana starts off with two massacres and it started off in the dumbest way possible.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I really like the Experience, Inc. dungeon crawler games (Xth games, Stranger of Sword City) and I was wondering if there is anything out there quite like them. My absolute favorite of all time is Wizardry: Tales of the Forsaken Land but that's never coming back. I googled around and saw a couple of games (Class of Round 2 and some detective noir game?) but can't find anything else on them.

I"m just looking for something to fill the new downtime it's looking like I"m going to have.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
trials of mana remake is the first mana game i've ever played where the combat actually feels like combat i can meaningfully engage with but uhhhhh

did they. have to try so hard to stick close to the original in every other way. when it means the pacing and presentation turns out... so loving jarring. like jesus you'll have one music track playing uninterrupted over scenes that... it really doesn't feel like it should be.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Levantine posted:

I really like the Experience, Inc. dungeon crawler games (Xth games, Stranger of Sword City) and I was wondering if there is anything out there quite like them. My absolute favorite of all time is Wizardry: Tales of the Forsaken Land but that's never coming back. I googled around and saw a couple of games (Class of Round 2 and some detective noir game?) but can't find anything else on them.

I"m just looking for something to fill the new downtime it's looking like I"m going to have.

Did you ever play the original Demon Gaze? It's basically these games with a fantasy RPG and fan service coat of polish.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

waah posted:

Did you ever play the original Demon Gaze? It's basically these games with a fantasy RPG and fan service coat of polish.

Yeah, Demon Gaze was really good. I just finished DG2 and it wasn't quite as good. I always liked Dungeon Travelers 2 as well. I can look past the fan servicey stuff if the game is solid.

Speaking of, are the Mary Skelter games worth trying?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Wazy (Lazy?) Hemisphere rules

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Levantine posted:

Operencia

Operencia

Operencia

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Barudak posted:

Operencia

Operencia

Operencia

I didn't love Operencia. It was decent enough but I didn't really feel it was all that deep mechanically so I got bored pretty quickly. I was disappointed because it looked right up my alley.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thats a shame, I absolutely adored it.

Experience Inc has another game coming out in a few months, but that doesnt help you now. What systems are you looking for? If you have PC as an option you can crack open a lot of first person crawlers too.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Barudak posted:

Thats a shame, I absolutely adored it.

Experience Inc has another game coming out in a few months, but that doesnt help you now. What systems are you looking for? If you have PC as an option you can crack open a lot of first person crawlers too.

Yeah I felt the same way. I really wanted to like it but I just bounced off somewhere around 5 hours.

I currently have PC, PS4 and Switch. Would Labyrinth of Refrain or Mary Skelter scratch the itch? Ideally I enjoy games with class systems that give some granularity and flexibility.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Snooze Cruise posted:

hope this helps

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

lets hang out posted:

hope this helps

its wazy in the geofront translation

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

can't believe they'd go against falcom's website like that

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The Colonel posted:

trials of mana remake is the first mana game i've ever played where the combat actually feels like combat i can meaningfully engage with but uhhhhh

did they. have to try so hard to stick close to the original in every other way. when it means the pacing and presentation turns out... so loving jarring. like jesus you'll have one music track playing uninterrupted over scenes that... it really doesn't feel like it should be.

It feels hosed up with the memories of the original since the 2D maps were accurately transformed into 3D and the movespeed even when dashing is slow. Literally taking at least three times as long to move places is kind of a deal breaker.

Arranged soundtrack should be cool though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Snooze Cruise posted:

Łazy

e: I was too Łazy to refresh the page

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

lets hang out posted:

can't believe they'd go against falcom's website like that

Kondo is a hack, hope that helps

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

am I seriously going to have to get an actual credit card for this anime game

the internet will gladly let me buy fifty different strains of libertarian cult funbucks, but not yen

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

am I seriously going to have to get an actual credit card for this anime game

the internet will gladly let me buy fifty different strains of libertarian cult funbucks, but not yen

I dont know what game youre talking about but you likely also need a japanese credit card to make the purchase even though a credit card can buy in any currency because media restrictions.

Also if you post on SA you should be old enough to have a credit card, and if you live in america not using one is taking a paycut for no reason.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'm 11

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i hope wazy kisses llyod

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Kondo is a hack, hope that helps
this is an insane post to make about a minor bit of romanization weirdness lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tonfa posted:

It feels hosed up with the memories of the original since the 2D maps were accurately transformed into 3D and the movespeed even when dashing is slow. Literally taking at least three times as long to move places is kind of a deal breaker.

Arranged soundtrack should be cool though.

i can understand wanting to be accurate to the original but... why did they even bother when they already realized that aspects of the game wouldn't age well in a 3d action rpg. like why did they update the combat to work well in a new format but. not literally anything else. why bother sticking so faithfully when they already recognized that parts of the game would fit badly, lol

it honestly makes the game feel more like a weird fan remake than an official big budget game because its presentation is just so... terrible. it was compared to a ps2 rpg but. it's honestly worse. it feels less cohesive than some budget ps2 rpgs. i honestly just can't believe how they fixed the one biggest problem i have with mana games, giving it an actually okay combat system that moves at a decent clip and doesn't waste your time with any real bullshit, and then... made everything else surrounding it feel so bad, lol

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

this is an insane post to make about a minor bit of romanization weirdness lol
Who'd have þought it would come to this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I like the simplicity of Trials of Mana, will probably be picking it up when it gets discounted but howwy poo poo I can't beweeve there is a chawactew who talks wike this the whole time.