Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bull3964 posted:

There is more good stuff out there than any shut-in can reasonably watch in a lifetime. I cannot fathom people watching poo poo just for poo poo's sake.

I watched the entire second season of paradise PD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

I watched an episode of Walking Dead last night out of ironically timed curiosity and Daryl was wielding a literal morning star lmao

Yes, it's great for the series that so many years into the apocalypse the survivors have effectively run out of bullets and now have to get on with whatever weapon they can get their hands on.

bull3964 posted:

There is more good stuff out there than any shut-in can reasonably watch in a lifetime. I cannot fathom people watching poo poo just for poo poo's sake.
Completely agree, it's impossible to keep up with all the new content currently available, with more being released every week.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Hahahaha, fuuuuck. Avenue 5 just keeps getting worse for all involved :suspense:. (The ship and crew, not the show)

At the rate they're going, I'm fully expecting it to turn out there's some quick-and-simple backup system to solve this problem the whole time that Judd's not sharing due to some petty reason. Either that or everyone on Earth somehow dies and they're the only ones left failing about in space. Or both. It could go either way with this show :stonklol:.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Episode 9 was the season finale, so I guess we’ll have to wait to find out!

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I'm going to rewatch Halt and Catch Fire for the quarantine and nobody can stop me!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Escobarbarian posted:

Episode 9 was the season finale, so I guess we’ll have to wait to find out!

Wait, what? Awww :ohdear:. At least it's confirmed for a second season.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am going to give Halt and Catch Fire another shot, I watched the first season some years back but it didn’t do anything for me.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Sometimes I put on Spike on PlutoTV just to have something to zone out to without having to give a gently caress

They also have a 24-hour American Gladiators channel

Binary Logic posted:

Yes, it's great for the series that so many years into the apocalypse the survivors have effectively run out of bullets

I didn't realize they'd done a time skip 300 years forward

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 18, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So was Cobra Kai getting a third season?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Rhyno posted:

So was Cobra Kai getting a third season?

Yep! sometime in spring 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh so we'll all be dead before then. Great.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

Good stuff requires you to pay attention while Trader Joe's grocery hauls let me veg out

I’m sick enough that I’m in basically no state to pay attention to anything right now, so it’s been rewatching the good place/futurama/law and order with a sprinkling of TLC trash like hoarders and 600 lb life. I really need some Price is Right reruns to make this sick day complete.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I have decided to spend this quarantine time re-watching King of the Hill. Watched it when it was on, but know I missed plenty of episodes so I think this is an excellent use of my time.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
King of the Hill is real good, even when they kind of ran out of prime material and got too popular for their own good. A bad season of King of the Hill is still good, especially compared to like, a bad season of simpsons or all of family guy.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Khanstant posted:

King of the Hill is real good, even when they kind of ran out of prime material and got too popular for their own good. A bad season of King of the Hill is still good, especially compared to like, a bad season of simpsons or all of family guy.

If King of the Hill had been on for thirty seasons, I don't think it would have held up much

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Very true, but credit to a show that knows when to end lol

or is ended by someone, at least.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Very true, but credit to a show that knows when to end lol

or is ended by someone, at least.

Considering how unhinged Judge got post 9/11 I'm glad the show didn't last longer then it did.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

socialsecurity posted:

Considering how unhinged Judge got post 9/11 I'm glad the show didn't last longer then it did.

Did he get unhinged? Silicon Valley felt pretty hinged to me.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ugly In The Morning posted:

he's friends with Alex Jones nowadays so, draw your own conclusions there

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I’m sick enough that I’m in basically no state to pay attention to anything right now, so it’s been rewatching the good place/futurama/law and order with a sprinkling of TLC trash like hoarders and 600 lb life. I really need some Price is Right reruns to make this sick day complete.

I seriously want to see some audience-less Price is Right/Let's Make a Deal, with the hosts/crew just going on like everything's normal. Let's get real weird with this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ9Kr4yu1Pk

Khanstant posted:

Pre-cancellation Family Guy is okay, sometimes legit hilarious, it's when they got renewed and started huffing their own farts that it turned to poo poo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

McSpanky posted:

Pre-cancellation Family Guy is okay, sometimes legit hilarious, it's when they got renewed and started huffing their own farts that it turned to poo poo.

Yeah, there were a couple good bits after they came back but from what I heard most of those were straight up left over from before cancellation. The downhill slide was incredibly quick.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Remain indoors
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnd1jKcfBRE

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Hello, sorry to barge in here with a question but it's driving me crazy:

A friend of mine mentioned there being a show in the 90s, probably on Nickelodeon , in which characters would have conversations on a roof. I immediately had a memory of the set, which I remember having at least two (blue?) inset seats/hammocks, but I cannot for the life of me place what it was.

Am I crazy? Also is there a "help be identify this weird tv memory" thread?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I remember on 3rd Rock from the Sun they would sit on the roof and talk alot.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

swickles posted:

I remember on 3rd Rock from the Sun they would sit on the roof and talk alot.

Not what I'm thinking of, but could be contributing to conflated memories.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Is Seth MacFarlane basically just doing The Orville these days and pretending the animated shows don't exist? I sure would

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Is Seth MacFarlane basically just doing The Orville these days and pretending the animated shows don't exist? I sure would

He hasn't been hands on with the animated shows for a long time now. Maybe even close to a decade. afaik he just does the voices and that's it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

ALFbrot posted:

A friend of mine mentioned there being a show in the 90s, probably on Nickelodeon , in which characters would have conversations on a roof. I immediately had a memory of the set, which I remember having at least two (blue?) inset seats/hammocks, but I cannot for the life of me place what it was.

Am I crazy? Also is there a "help be identify this weird tv memory" thread?

Not on Nickelodeon, but characters from Parker Lewis Can't Lose often sneaked onto the roof of their high school to have deep conversations.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

ALFbrot posted:

Was it live action or animated? Friends had rooftop scenes with lounge chairs Or it could be something like Daria. Hey Arnold! has a bunch of rooftop stuff, but Google Screenshots don't seem to show any hammocks.

EDIT: Doing Googling for this, i've now learned that Kenan Thompson played the Knuckle Puck kid in two of the mighty ducks movies. Amazing.

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 19, 2020

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It really is startling, watching Simpsons in English, is just how many incidental characters are voiced by either Harry Shearer or Phil Hartman barely slightly changing their voices

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

It really is startling, watching Simpsons in English, is just how many incidental characters are voiced by either Harry Shearer or Phil Hartman barely slightly changing their voices

Haha, so true.

The extreme examples of this would be Parker/Stone from South Park. It's amazing how the brain separates them once it can visualise who is on screen.
Hell, how does Nick Kroll voice like 15 characters on Big Mouth when he appears to only have the ability to do 3 voices.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Looten Plunder posted:

Was it live action or animated? Friends had rooftop scenes with lounge chairs Or it could be something like Daria. Hey Arnold! has a bunch of rooftop stuff, but Google Screenshots don't seem to show any hammocks.

EDIT: Doing Googling for this, i've now learned that Kenan Thompson played the Knuckle Puck kid in two of the mighty ducks movies. Amazing.
Definitely live action. I'm now wondering if I'm remembering a movie. Sorry to waste your time with this :(

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Too soon, man.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i am now purchasing my 3rd complete series of Newsradio. I bought all of the seasons individually about a decade ago and wore those discs out, so when Mill Creek released a single-box set I picked that up right away, but the quality isn't as good and it's missing an episode, and so I'm finally just plunking down the money (still only like $30 all together) for the first four seasons. I never watch the fifth season because the first episode deeply depresses me and the rest is a bummer to watch without Phil Hartman but I've watched the first four seasons all the way through so many times now I can basically recite the episodes while I'm watching them.

Newsradio is basically a perfect sitcom. Where most sitcoms, especially during the 1990s, generally had one or two big names and a bunch of people never to be heard from again, Newsradio's cast was stacked from head to toe. It leads with The Glue himself Phil Hartman perfecting his smug prick character and Dave Foley, fresh off Kids in the Hall. You've got Stephen Root, you've got Maura Tierney, you've got Khandi Alexander, you've got Vicki Lewis, you've even got Joe Rogan basically playing himself right down to the conspiracy theories and MMA love, and Andy Dick blessedly not playing himself, in the only thing I've ever truly tolerated him in. Every single actor is at the top of their game, and the cast is so good and complete that pretty much the entire first three seasons go by without a recurring side character, with the exception of Tone Loc and Toby Huss playing a couple of security guards in two or three episodes. The fourth season has a couple, and while the end of the season includes a generic pretty young man who is pretty uninteresting in the grand scheme of the show, the beginning features a pre-Gilmore Girls Lauren Graham coming in and shaking things up. The first season was directed entirely by sitcom legend James Burrows, and he sets the visual tone of the show so perfectly that again, by the end of that first short season you basically have a fully formed television show running at top speed for three more wonderful years.

If you're looking for easily the all-time best sitcom ever, look no further.

Here is the first two seasons in one set, currently selling for a whopping $7.50+tax. The rest are similarly priced, you can get the whole drat thing for $40, less if you buy that Mill Creek set.
If you really want to watch it right this second, it's available digitally for much more money on Amazon.
If you want a free taste, Crackle has the last two seasons streaming for free on their site. This link will take you to easily one of the best episodes of the show, Public Domain.
If you want to read about it, Donna Bowman went through the entire show during the golden age of AV Club's TV reviewing, it's required reading if you love the show IMO.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I used to watch Newsradio on Netflix and I swear they had some bootleg xvid version streaming out. I remember some episodes where the audio would slowly desync more and more.

I still die thinking of Matthew asking Catherine what part of Africa she's from.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

there's a little tiny part of me that hopes that it will show up on Peacock with all of the other great NBC sitcoms but I'm not holding my breath. It is celebrating it's 25th anniversary this weekend, and if that isn't a great reason to sit down and watch I don't know what is.

Here's an article about the 10 episodes that best represent the show.

and here's my favorite TV critic, Emily VanDerWerff, talking about what she calls the best sitcom of the 1990s.

And here's an interview done after the show's 4th season where the creator absolutely loving rips on NBC, to the point where he thought that if the show's poor ratings weren't gonna get it cancelled, this interview definitely was. This was followed by NBC actually renewing it for a fifth season, Phil Hartman's death, and a scramble to figure out what to do next.

and to show that i'm not exaggerating the status of that interview, here is literally the first question and answer:

quote:

RS: Is cancellation imminent?
Paul Simms: Pretty imminent. When is this piece coming out? It’s not looking good. … I’ve got a lot of fuckin’ theories but no explanations as to why this show we’re all so proud of is in the fuckin’ toilet. I don’t even mind being in the toilet, but I do mind not being appreciated by NBC.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 19, 2020

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Oh man, NewsRadio. One of the sitcoms that made the 90s tolerable. The episode where the A/C burns out during a heat wave and everyone starts hallucinating is one of the funniest drat things I've ever seen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Netflix used a lot of commonly available pirated files in the early days of their streaming. There used to be a whole write up where this dude compared screencaps but the site 404'd the last time I checked it.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

I never watch the fifth season because the first episode deeply depresses me
The first episode has what is to my mind the absolute most hilarious and crushing joke ever.

Bill/Phil’s last wish: ”I wish I wasn’t dead.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

It's OK if you forgot The Goode Family and Extract, everyone else did too.