Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Zugzwang posted:

Don't buy the first rifle. The only place where it may be kinda-sorta useful is in the first boss fight, but otherwise it's slow as gently caress and takes up a lot of space/costs too much money.

But the reloading animation is so cool, even if it’s like 20 FPS or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

But the reloading animation is so cool, even if it’s like 20 FPS or whatever.
True. I might buy it for my next run just for yuks. That first boss fight is relatively difficult because your weapons suck rear end at that point in the game and he's a nimble SOB.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

If you're playing Resident Evil 4 for the first time go with the flow since the dynamic difficulty is generous. I did an absurd amount of gently caress ups the first time back when it came out e.g missed the free shotgun (and that entire building and cutscene) alongside the blue medallion pistol and stuck with upgrading the starting handgun during the entire game yet still made it through with enough money to buy the shotgun I missed, multiple rifles, the magnum and rather useless machinegun plus more than enough upgrades.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah just do whatever, RE4 owns and there's lots of options to pick whatever you like

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I am legitimately jealous of anyone playing RE4 for the first time.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

redreader posted:

Playing RE4 on normal: please suggest me which guns to buy / upgrade? Also, should I upgrade nothing until I get the correct guns?

Fully upgraded Red9 and Mine Thrower are my go to weapons. The latter I actually didn't use until my 3rd or 4th playthrough because I had no idea just how absurdly overpowered it is, especially with the homing upgrade.

Don't bother upgrading the starter shotgun as you get a much better one later. I prefer that one to the automatic one tbh.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Convex posted:

Fully upgraded Red9 and Mine Thrower are my go to weapons. The latter I actually didn't use until my 3rd or 4th playthrough because I had no idea just how absurdly overpowered it is, especially with the homing upgrade.
I'm kind of surprised to hear that - I've never used it at all, it always seemed so impractical and the prevailing opinion has always mostly been that it's pretty useless. I guess if I ever play RE4 again, I know what I need to try.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

redreader posted:

Playing RE4 on normal: please suggest me which guns to buy / upgrade? Also, should I upgrade nothing until I get the correct guns?

you can upgrade the starter rifle if you would like, and in fact upgrading the magazine refills ammunition so it's not the worst idea in certain circumstances. all of the weapons are viable to whatever degree but if you only want to use the truly broken poo poo the red 9 fully upgraded with the stock is absolutely overpowered

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Feel free to upgrade whatever weapons you want, you get most of that money back when you sell them.

The mine thrower is hella underrated. It basically turns shield enemies into walking bombs and lets you delete entire groups of enemies

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

aside from steam being a big ol pile of gaben garbage why cant I find the demo?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

codo27 posted:

aside from steam being a big ol pile of gaben garbage why cant I find the demo?

It's not out until tomorrow. The RE2 demo didn't get a store page until it was releases

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Steam apparently unlocks at 1PM EST, which is in another sixteen hours or so.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

redreader posted:

There's no need to avoid upgrading - as long as you are aggressive at finding treasures, you'll have plenty of money - especially if you do the shooting ranges.

My personal breakdown:

As far as pistols go, the only one that stands out is the Punisher. You get a free from the blue medallions, and getting all of them gives you a free upgrade.

Sell it immediately - it is pretty terrible stat-wise, and the special ability of punching through multiple targets is not useful.

Of the other three, all are viable, but I'd stick with the Red9 for power or the Blacktail for rapid fire. The starting handgun is in the middle, and is OK. Even if you don't plan to keep it, upgrade the standard handgun until you get the one you want.

For shotguns, there's only one endgame choice - the Striker. Upgrade the free starting shotgun until you get the Striker, then switch. Skip the middle one completely.

Magnums - Use the free Broken Butterfly or buy one and sell the free one. The second magnum has higher ammo capacity and rate of fire, but less raw damage, and single-shot damage is the Magnum's niche.

Rifles depend on the version of the game. In the original Gamecube release, the second rifle is outright better in every way, because it is rapid firing and (more importantly) doesn't pop out of zoom after every shot). Later releases allow the first rifle to eventually have higher per-shot damage.

TMP/Mine Thrower
Most people will tell you that both of these weapons are garbage.

Those people are idiots. Both are excellent for all-purpose use, and the existence of the TMP is why I personally prefer the Red9 over the Blacktail - the TMP covers the rapid-fire niche.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Caidin posted:

Well I did find myself rejiggering my garage doors to only open if you arrange a royal flush form my novelty playing card deck on a specialized card reader I made the other day.
Amateur. Come back when you've hand crafted a USB dongle out of a TV remote that only works on a specific computer in the public library in order to unlock a door in the bank that leads to a sudoku puzzle that unlocks a worthless gun mod in the vault.

Regarding the RE4 gun chat: The only other bit of advice to the new person I'll add from my experience is be ready for ammo drops to inconsistent. As in, for one run you'll be swimming in shotgun rounds but be starved for magnum rounds, while a different run will hand you all of the TMP ammo you could want and then some while depriving you of sniper rifle ammo. I forget if that's tied to how much you use a weapon or not, though. And yes, get used to staring at the attache case for unusually long periods of time because you're trying to fit everything perfectly and neatly. That is not some sign of OCD, RE4's inventory system just creates that behavior in players on reflex.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Welp it's clear from recent posts that I need to play RE4 again and try the tricked out Red9 and mine thrower, thanks goons.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
The TMP is both fun as hell and good as hell for every enemy in the game, from triggering melee attacks in ganados to rapid-damage-dealing to big bad enemies. It turns the early gigantes into jokes, funny funny jokes. Plus, you'll get tons of ammo for it as long as you use it reasonably carefully (save the mag-dumping for the big guys, just taps for the small-fry). A lot of people think it's bad, but they're wrong, and dumb.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

AradoBalanga posted:

Amateur. Come back when you've hand crafted a USB dongle out of a TV remote that only works on a specific computer in the public library in order to unlock a door in the bank that leads to a sudoku puzzle that unlocks a worthless gun mod in the vault.

Regarding the RE4 gun chat: The only other bit of advice to the new person I'll add from my experience is be ready for ammo drops to inconsistent. As in, for one run you'll be swimming in shotgun rounds but be starved for magnum rounds, while a different run will hand you all of the TMP ammo you could want and then some while depriving you of sniper rifle ammo. I forget if that's tied to how much you use a weapon or not, though. And yes, get used to staring at the attache case for unusually long periods of time because you're trying to fit everything perfectly and neatly. That is not some sign of OCD, RE4's inventory system just creates that behavior in players on reflex.

Ammo drops based on how much ammo you have left, with the intent to make you jump around weapon types as you go.

I know people generally say RE4 doesn't need a remake, and I agree it's like 99% good. But that 1% is being able to change weapons without opening the briefcase, it would be so tight to just have it mapped to a d-pad quick swap menu or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Training posted:

Ammo drops based on how much ammo you have left, with the intent to make you jump around weapon types as you go.

I know people generally say RE4 doesn't need a remake, and I agree it's like 99% good. But that 1% is being able to change weapons without opening the briefcase, it would be so tight to just have it mapped to a d-pad quick swap menu or something.

Maybe they'll add it to a future port. I mean Devil May Cry 3 added both a quick-weapon swap and style change system to its Switch port.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

In Training posted:

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

ImpAtom posted:

Maybe they'll add it to a future port. I mean Devil May Cry 3 added both a quick-weapon swap and style change system to its Switch port.

That and a melee attack for grounded enemies are all I could really want for RE4

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

In Training posted:

The vast majority will at least be something that you can actually use, though, so you won't be seeing a whole lot of proximity mines if you aren't actually carrying a mine launcher. It'll still happen occasionally, but only very rarely compared to ammo that fits one or more of your current guns.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks everyone. I'm playing it on steam, I'm not playing it for the first time ever. I'm using gamepad.

I saw some youtube video where the person had a circle mouse cursor for aiming and there was no shake. I suspect this is a wii u version or something? Also should I download that incomplete texture pack (is there a download)? I had the ps2 version back in the day and finished on normal then got stuck in something I remember as 'the knight room' on professional, all I had left was rifle ammo.. I've mentioned this before in the thread but I'm doing an 'all re games' run. I'd previously played OG version of 2, 4, 5. So at the end of '18 or so I finished re1 remake, played a lot of re2 remake last year, finished nemesis on ps3/ps vita a month ago, and now it's re4 (steam). I have a switch too but I already owned the steam version, I think I bought an 'all resident evils' steam pack at some point. Looking forward to playing 7 for the first time. When in my 'all games' playthrough should I play revelations 1 and 2?

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wasn't there a beta demo of the multiplayer coming out today or something?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

large_gourd posted:

wasn't there a beta demo of the multiplayer coming out today or something?
No.

That's the 27th.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah I tend to find that the weapons people dismissed as trash in RE4 for years are actually not that bad. The TMP is actually very useful when fully upgraded and not only has great DPS but it stunlocks enemies quickly too. The Mine Thrower is basically a grenade with ammo that stacks and is useful in crowds of enemies and the exclusive upgrade gives it homing capabilities too, just fire and forget.

I'll also stan for the Killer 7 on a first playthrough, the Broken Butterfly does more damage yes but that upgrade is only available literally right before the final boss at which point it feels kind of worthless to use except on your next playthrough. Until that exclusive upgrade, the Killer 7 does more damage and fires faster than the Broken Butterfly, giving faster DPS overall.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

The RE3 demo is loving great. I found a gun mod in an apartment off the beaten track in a safe with a combination I found on a poster, and an optional tool that got me a shotgun in time to shoot one zombie with it before the demo ended.

My only complaint is its super goddamn dark and hard to see at times.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Seedge posted:

My only complaint is its super goddamn dark and hard to see at times.
RE2 had a similar issue for me, loving around with the Dx11/Dx12 selection solved it. Though I just realized since you're already playing you're not on PC?

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

RE2 had a similar issue for me, loving around with the Dx11/Dx12 selection solved it. Though I just realized since you're already playing you're not on PC?

Correct, PS4 in Ireland. There's a preload available for Project Resistance too, though the servers won't be up until next week.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Seedge posted:

Correct, PS4 in Ireland. There's a preload available for Project Resistance too, though the servers won't be up until next week.

You basically need to set the white balance to maximum, the black balance at about the fourth notch from the left, then leave the third setting right in the middle. Otherwise the bright areas are too dim or dark areas too bright

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Gnoman posted:

There's no need to avoid upgrading - as long as you are aggressive at finding treasures, you'll have plenty of money - especially if you do the shooting ranges.

My personal breakdown:

As far as pistols go, the only one that stands out is the Punisher. You get a free from the blue medallions, and getting all of them gives you a free upgrade.

Sell it immediately - it is pretty terrible stat-wise, and the special ability of punching through multiple targets is not useful.

Of the other three, all are viable, but I'd stick with the Red9 for power or the Blacktail for rapid fire. The starting handgun is in the middle, and is OK. Even if you don't plan to keep it, upgrade the standard handgun until you get the one you want.

For shotguns, there's only one endgame choice - the Striker. Upgrade the free starting shotgun until you get the Striker, then switch. Skip the middle one completely.

Magnums - Use the free Broken Butterfly or buy one and sell the free one. The second magnum has higher ammo capacity and rate of fire, but less raw damage, and single-shot damage is the Magnum's niche.

Rifles depend on the version of the game. In the original Gamecube release, the second rifle is outright better in every way, because it is rapid firing and (more importantly) doesn't pop out of zoom after every shot). Later releases allow the first rifle to eventually have higher per-shot damage.

TMP/Mine Thrower
Most people will tell you that both of these weapons are garbage.

Those people are idiots. Both are excellent for all-purpose use, and the existence of the TMP is why I personally prefer the Red9 over the Blacktail - the TMP covers the rapid-fire niche.

Pretty much covers everything I'd recommend about RE4's arsenal. The Red 9 is by far the best handgun IMO; it has stupidly good raw damage for its class and 9mm ammo is loving everywhere. The "drawbacks" are having the slowest rate of fire and lowest capacity of all handguns (at 22 rounds), but these are completely offset by how it just chews through even medium-size packs of mooks for such a low ammo cost. Any need for actual crowd control (i.e. seven or more ganados closing in at once) is covered by the TMP spewing a wall of lead. Or indeed, the Mine Thrower.

The Mine Thrower is comedy gold. It's also surprisingly effective even at base config! Fully upgraded, it's a loving monster of a weapon. Fire it into a crowd of berks and watch 'em all go boom!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So played the demo. I liked it.

The shotgun is much meatier than the one in RE2.
I tried messing around with the dodge mechanic. It worked on Nemises fine but not really for standard zombies.
Also there was so many instances of me killing a pack of zombies, only afterwards to find an explosive barrel near them.

By the way there are wooden boxes that you can break open to get goodies.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Is there a time limit on the demo like with RE2?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Is the demo live in US/Canada on PS4? I don't see it anywhere but maybe I'm not using the right search term.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Convex posted:

Is there a time limit on the demo like with RE2?

Nope.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Spalec posted:

Is the demo live in US/Canada on PS4? I don't see it anywhere but maybe I'm not using the right search term.

It’s up on Xbox, but apparently won’t go up on PS4 and PC till 1pm EST.

Not sure why everyone outside the US got the PS4 demo earlier.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I'm in Ireland and I got the PS4 demo this morning. I found it on the store under the entry for RE3.
No time limit on the demo.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Oh great! Can't wait to get time for it this evening :)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Yeah was just about to ask if there was a time limit because those annoy me in demos. I want to play as long as I want dammit.

Probably leftover feelings from the shareware days :v:

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Very minor spoilers in case anyone wants to go into the demo completely blind but, for anyone who wants to make sure they've had a chance to explore everything before the demo ends it ends just after you use the hose to put out the fire, so save that until last

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Links for US PSN.

RE3 demo: https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0102-CUSA17951_00-BH3ROFFDEMO00001

Multiplayer beta: https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0102-CUSA17950_00-BHRESDEMO0000001