Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Jerry Cotton posted:

answered youre own question there

god drat it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Bored Online posted:

wasnt the point to prevent button wear to retain resale value

yeah but people kept doing it even after the button was made capacitive because they got so used to it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Midjack posted:

lmao at giving a gently caress about resale value on anything but especially electronics and cars. use that thing up like you want to and throw it away when it’s a useless pile of shards.

same except instead I have to to afford to live

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I never gave a poo poo about the light scribe logo on my crappy home built tower PC. It took a wanky Mac Pro user to point out what it was and spent like 5 hours burning a label onto a mixed CD he made for me. It is the only time I ever saw it used.

also this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40hJStzsBm8&t=1133s

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

echinopsis posted:

same except instead I have to to afford to live

don’t buy a new phone every year predicated on the resale value then

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

qirex posted:

my understanding was this was a cultural quirk mostly relegated to south asia and china

is, not was. at this point people still do it even though they dont have a real button there

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

that chinese girl that sold her kidney for an iphone 4 is probably feeling pretty silly these days. i bet the kidney held on to its resale value better.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

it’s a good phone

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
i still have a 4 in reasonably good condition just sitting in my desk drawer

wonder how many kidneys i could get for it now :thunk:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

a deece 6.5 kidneys

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
just loled thinking about "audio CD-Rs". they actually were different somehow, i remembered in like 1998 trying to copy a playstation 1 game and i couldn't write the data because it blocked anything that wasn't audio, somehow. the store actually let me exchange them

wtf were those stupid things? i dont recall really seeing them again after that

edit: maybe they were just made for stereo systems that had CD-R drives and you could record directly to it? like one of those vinyl record to CD-R type of things?

no clue what was on those things to not allow me to burn data to them on a PC though

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 18, 2020

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

just loled thinking about "audio CD-Rs". they actually were different somehow, i remembered in like 1998 trying to copy a playstation 1 game and i couldn't write the data because it blocked anything that wasn't audio, somehow. the store actually let me exchange them

wtf were those stupid things? i dont recall really seeing them again after that

edit: maybe they were just made for stereo systems that had CD-R drives and you could record directly to it? like one of those vinyl record to CD-R type of things?

no clue what was on those things to not allow me to burn data to them on a PC though

stupid copy protection poo poo and a tax. there’s poo poo outside of the writable area

fighting the last battle; mp3s lol

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
i was thinking that but i thought the CD-R audio tax thing only existed in Canada and i'm in the US

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i was thinking that but i thought the CD-R audio tax thing only existed in Canada and i'm in the US

nope, there was a private copying levy on blank tapes and cds in the us. it wasn’t called out as a separate charge but was baked into the purchase price.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

god bless America :911:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

just loled thinking about "audio CD-Rs". they actually were different somehow

They were normal CD-Rs that failed the quality control for data.

Why throw away a bad batch when you can mark them as "For Audio Only" and sell them for the same price as good discs.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I think I remember what the difference was, but my memory might be foggy.

In Canada, any and all CD-Rs were more expensive due to the RIAA tax (or whatever Canada's version of it is). Even data discs.

In the US, audio CD-Rs were more expensive than data CD-Rs, because only audio CD-Rs had the RIAA tax. Of course, you could just burn audio CDs with data discs on your PC, so audio CD-Rs were pretty uncommon, especially by the early 2000s. For every 20 CD-R makes and models, maybe 1 or 2 would be audio CD-Rs.

I have the memory of a goldfish so this could be completely wrong but it's what my thick skull is piecing together the more I try to remember all this

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sweevo posted:

They were normal CD-Rs that failed the quality control for data.

Why throw away a bad batch when you can mark them as "For Audio Only" and sell them for the same price as good discs.

well, no

how would you do qc on a cdr? it's a blank dye layer.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
"audio cd-rs" were a gimmick for standalone cd writers that were meant to hook up to your home stereo

if you bought a "cd deck" by analogy to your 1980s tape deck, you were forever obliged to pay 2x as much for the blank media because the riaa hates you

a cd writer hooked to a pc had no problem writing red book (cdda) discs on either medium

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

"audio cd-rs" were a gimmick for standalone cd writers that were meant to hook up to your home stereo

if you bought a "cd deck" by analogy to your 1980s tape deck, you were forever obliged to pay 2x as much for the blank media because the riaa hates you

a cd writer hooked to a pc had no problem writing red book (cdda) discs on either medium

i definitely wasnt able to burn data to an audio CD-R i had, but i fully admit this was like 1997

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

IIRC the more legally compliant software wouldn’t copy cd audio to cd audio w/o ‘audio cd’

better software would happily copy cd to wavs and copy wavs to cd

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

PCjr sidecar posted:

IIRC the more legally compliant software wouldn’t copy cd audio to cd audio w/o ‘audio cd’

better software would happily copy cd to wavs and copy wavs to cd

i never found any software that cared, not even the software that came with my early cd-r drive

as far as i know the only application for audio cd-rs, anywhere, was the home cd writing consoles that plugged into a stereo. which is why they vanished very rapidly.

about as popular as divx

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
one of the tricky things is that old-timey cd players wouldn't necessarily play back cdr or cdrw

so the audio cd-r only existed in the narrow window of time in which cdr and cdrw read support were practically universal, but while old people still cared enough about discrete stereo components to pay $500 for a cd writer and then an extra dollar pepr disc

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i never found any software that cared, not even the software that came with my early cd-r drive

as far as i know the only application for audio cd-rs, anywhere, was the home cd writing consoles that plugged into a stereo. which is why they vanished very rapidly.

about as popular as divx

here’s a contemporary article when the cat was out of the bag already. you’ll never guess which vendor.

https://www.wired.com/1999/10/burning-cds-the-riaa-way/

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

funny tech poo poo u just remember

caring a lot about ripping software

reripping several times from cd
1. cd to a pirated fraunhaufer encoder
2. cd to lame
3 cd to a lossless format

cbr vs vbr

Lenny Nero
Apr 14, 2007

I'm the magic man...The Santa Claus of the subconscious
Transferring music to my Minidisc player was always a pain. Then I got an iAudio MP3 player and that was pretty rad. Ah the memories of the 2000s

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
SD vs MMC

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

thousands of transistors

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

PCjr sidecar posted:

since you're setting me up: remembering the nullsoft mp3 decoder being wrong in early winamp versions, then it being corrected to agree with fraunhofer, then the old incorrect version being reintroduced because people preferred the entirely wrong sound.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

nero burning cd-rom

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
lars being really peeved about napster

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bored Online posted:

lars being really peeved about napster

https://youtu.be/LeKX2bNP7QM

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

rotor posted:

SD vs MMC

i remember being so glad to not have to give a drat about compactflash anymore

(which, of course, my sharp zaurus used)

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

remember having a job? lol good times

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

my bitter bi rival posted:

remember having a job? lol good times

Ha! hahhh...................:smith:

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Lenny Nero posted:

Transferring music to my Minidisc player was always a pain. Then I got an iAudio MP3 player and that was pretty rad. Ah the memories of the 2000s

This is possibly the most Sony product of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8yxCKP1h5I

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I bet there’s some product manager who got fired/demoted for proposing sony make minidisc players play mp3 files

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

duz posted:

nero burning cd-rom

nero burning rom was the best/worst name for software ever

(no “cd” because that ruins the terrible joke)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

PCjr sidecar posted:

2. cd to lame

cbr vs vbr

to this day I own hundreds and hundreds of cds on the theory I might need to rip them again but Spotify happened and I never finished the transition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

PCjr sidecar posted:

2. cd to lame