Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
obsessing about getting TWO plextor drives in my machine so I could do whatever their direct copy technology was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

just having multiple CD drives,and actually using them

I can't remember the last time I used by dvd drive on my pc, but it was probably to rip a CD to a non garbage bitrate to replace some old 128kbps mp3

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

rotor posted:

SD vs MMC

MemoryStick vs MemoryStick Pro vs MemoryStick Duo vs MemoryStick Pro Duo vs MemoryStick vs Capcom EX Plus Alpha 2

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I downloaded rips of the cds I bought cause my computer was old and ripping took longer lol

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

game publishers dragging their feet on releasing games on DVD

UT2K4 was like 5 CDs, but the limited super deluxe bonus edition was on DVD! and sold out within minutes, i had to pay a premium on ebay for it lol

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

SO DEMANDING posted:

UT2K4 was like 5 CDs, but the limited super deluxe bonus edition was on DVD! and sold out within minutes, i had to pay a premium on ebay for it lol

it was because walmart demanded games to be released on CD for a super long time and since they were the biggest retailer publishers had no choice but to comply

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

nero burning rom was the best/worst name for software ever

(no “cd” because that ruins the terrible joke)

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1236778368533700609?lang=en

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

axolotl farmer posted:

setting up EAC with LAME and getting ID3 tags from Freedb :fyadride:
...is there a better way to rip now? I still do this

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Sweevo posted:

MemoryStick vs MemoryStick Pro vs MemoryStick Duo vs MemoryStick Pro Duo vs MemoryStick vs Capcom EX Plus Alpha 2

You forgot MemoryStick MagicGate!

also you just made me lol thinking about MemoryStick that maxed out at 128MB and the only way Sony could get around it was by making MemorySticks with a bank switch on the back

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

3 Formats and form factors
3.1 Memory Stick
3.2 Memory Stick Select
3.3 Memory Stick PRO
3.4 Memory Stick Duo
3.5 Memory Stick PRO Duo
3.6 Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo
3.7 Memory Stick Micro (M2)
3.8 Memory Stick XC
3.9 Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo HX

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

is that the DRM thing? because sony cannot release anything without DRM bullshit

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

also you just made me lol thinking about MemoryStick that maxed out at 128MB and the only way Sony could get around it was by making MemorySticks with a bank switch on the back

i have a few of these in a drawer somewhere for an ancient digital camera. good poo poo

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Another fun thing about them is that they were really proud of their drm thing even though customers probably have no clue what "MagicGate" means.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
my favorite drm memory was the record labels finally agreeing to let stebe jorbs sell albums and singles through the itunes store but only if they had drm AND apple to wholly own the drm system (design and build and manage and pay for) - not realizing they had just handed apple the keys to the handcuffs that would lock their users into apples ecosystem and destroy any leverage the labels might have in future negotiations

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

akadajet posted:

Another fun thing about them is that they were really proud of their drm thing even though customers probably have no clue what "MagicGate" means.

All good things come in gates; Watergate, Heaven's Gate, MagicGate...

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Pinterest Mom posted:

3 Formats and form factors
3.1 Memory Stick
3.2 Memory Stick Select
3.3 Memory Stick PRO
3.4 Memory Stick Duo
3.5 Memory Stick PRO Duo
3.6 Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo
3.7 Memory Stick Micro (M2)
3.8 Memory Stick XC
3.9 Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo HX

they had all of these and they still decided to create a 100% custom proprietary memory card for the vita. lmao.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Zlodo posted:

it was because walmart demanded games to be released on CD for a super long time and since they were the biggest retailer publishers had no choice but to comply

lmao why

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

probably still selling computers with cd only

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

mavica, both floppy and mini cdr

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
floptical

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

eschaton posted:

floptical
magneto-optical

(lol those first next machines)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Myspace

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

my guess is that they had lots of customers with lovely old computers and didn't want to have to refund games all the time when people found out they couldn't use them

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

emachines

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Linux

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

rofl

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Lol if you had a USB Flash Drive in 2003 and didn't make the volume label MAGIC_STICK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMlvKbbLGc0

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

the games on CD thing made sense at the time. you could virtually guarantee that everyone had a CDROM drive but not so for DVD.

so you could ship the game on CD’s and guarantee everyone could install it, with some annoyance for people with DVD drives.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Zlodo posted:

my guess is that they had lots of customers with lovely old computers and didn't want to have to refund games all the time when people found out they couldn't use them

they were probably still selling CD-only computers.

in 2004 you could walk into a supermarket and come out with a pentium 3 celeron with 128mb and one of those gimped no-name motherboards with half the connectors not installed. wouldn't surprise me if they had a CD-R drive too

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 19, 2020

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

alcohol 120%

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Bloody posted:

alcohol 120%

pls don't doxx my breakfast

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Hed posted:

Lol if you had a USB Flash Drive in 2003 and didn't make the volume label MAGIC_STICK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMlvKbbLGc0

lol i think he mean he's got the penis! lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bloody posted:

alcohol 120%

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

nero burning rom

this and disc juggler and generally living in a time when you had to know which software to use for what burning task because each of them did something different and none did all of it until CDBurnerXP was released.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i had a unix desktop even back then so i had to sweat the horror that is jorg schilling's cdrecord

it did everything but the documentation was confusing, and schilling had a massive hardon for scsi and an even bigger hardon for solaris so getting anything to work with atapi or non-solaris sucked rear end

also scsi cdrw drives cost about 2x as much as atapi, even more if you wanted them to work properly in a Sun

just a god drat mess

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
cdrecord expected you to provide a solaris device enumeration on the command line to address your cd drive

not just on solaris. on any platform. including freebsd, where no such enumeration exists, and nothing similar to it exists

you have to guess what the device name would be under solaris, in order to satisfy jorg schilling's solaris hardon

cdrecord will helpfully print the possible enumerations if you puzzle out the correct mystic incantation but good luck with that 300 pages of english-as-a-second-language gibberish

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

has anyone said windows “millennium edition” yet?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

remember gateway cows?

i ordered a friend a gateway computer using the dreamcast browser.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I liked the cow themed gateway boxes the computers came in

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

SO DEMANDING posted:

UT2K4 absolutely refused to install from DVD with some cryptic error on my PC. I had to return 2 DVD copies and ask for it on CD instead the 3rd time from the nice man in Game.

Sweevo posted:

is that the DRM thing? because sony cannot release anything without DRM bullshit

I am 99% certain my OG PS2 memory card said 'Magicgate' on it, I had no idea what it was at the time.

Also lmao that Sony had so many form factors available and still re-used the PS1 memory card design instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
charge mouse on bottom.

male charging connector for pencil.