Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Olympic Mathlete posted:

So I bought tickets last year for a showing of Aliens that's this Sunday. All other cinema chains have closed due to corona yet this one remains open. I took a look at the bookings and the joint is FULL because where else can you see this movie on a proper screen?

I am now wondering how many people are going to turn up and whether it's worth trying to go along when government advice is "don't do it!" to anything above a certain amount of people in a group.

BUT IT'S ALIENS

ALIENS is great but it's not worth it, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'll have to dig out my blu ray copy.

Dog_Meat posted:

Did IQs drop sharply while I was away?

(I struggled so hard with the same decision because ALIENS IN A GODDAM CINEMA!!!, but... come on)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

So I bought tickets last year for a showing of Aliens that's this Sunday. All other cinema chains have closed due to corona yet this one remains open. I took a look at the bookings and the joint is FULL because where else can you see this movie on a proper screen?

I am now wondering how many people are going to turn up and whether it's worth trying to go along when government advice is "don't do it!" to anything above a certain amount of people in a group.

BUT IT'S ALIENS

If people are willing to kill a grandma for Aliens then idk what to tell you.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Ok how about this, you go see Aliens and then lock yourself into your home for 2 weeks, never coming into contact with anyone. Worth it?
Not worth it, Aliens is overrated

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Dog_Meat posted:

Best of the Best series
I'd put 2 as the low point of the series, with 3 and 4 about on par to the first in different ways.
4 is the one that fades out of memory the easiest, though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ve seen aliens twice in the theater. Alamo plays it sometimes

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

married but discreet posted:

Ok how about this, you go see Aliens and then lock yourself into your home for 2 weeks, never coming into contact with anyone. Worth it?

I mean ideally I'd be living in a cabin in the woods alone, so yeah it actually kinda is... :v:

I'm just bummed because I was too young to see it in the cinema back in the day and this cinema has only just started to put cool older poo poo on their screens.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Aliens will be back on a screen sometime in the future. Don't be foolish.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

married but discreet posted:

Not worth it, Aliens is overrated

1, 3, and Prometheus are better.

Hell, Predator 2 is better than Aliens.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I might agree with some of the hot takes about Aliens being not as good as Alien 3 or Prometheus except I can't because of the Queen. The scenes with the Queen make the whole movie and there's nothing like it anywhere else in the franchise. RIP Stan Winston.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Aliens will be back on a screen sometime in the future. Don't be foolish.

Wouldn't be so sure. Disney is sending everything from the Fox catalog into the vault never to see day light again.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/10/disney-is-quietly-placing-classic-fox-movies-into-its-vault.html

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

SimonCat posted:

1, 3, and Prometheus are better.

Hell, Predator 2 is better than Aliens.

:eyepop:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Self isolation is causing insanity

Anyways my Scott Adkins run continues

Abduction: good lord what happened here ? It seems like a Stargate sg1 episode that happens to guest star Adkins and even the action is lacking

Debt collector : hell yeah now we're talking. Does get a little weak in the final third but it's drat fun throughout

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Alien
Prometheus
Aliens/Alien3
Covenant

AvP:R
Resurrection

Alien vs. Predator

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Electronico6 posted:

Wouldn't be so sure. Disney is sending everything from the Fox catalog into the vault never to see day light again.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/10/disney-is-quietly-placing-classic-fox-movies-into-its-vault.html

Oh gently caress, do you realize what this means?

The Queen Chestburster from Alien3 is a Disney Princess! :neckbeard:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

McSpanky posted:

The Queen Chestburster from Alien3 is a Disney Princess! :neckbeard:

Surely she's a Disney Queen.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

LesterGroans posted:

Alien
Prometheus
Aliens/Alien3
Covenant

AvP:R
Resurrection

Alien vs. Predator

:eyepop:

mastershakeman posted:

Debt collector : hell yeah now we're talking. Does get a little weak in the final third but it's drat fun throughout

Debt Collector was fun, yeah, Adkins makes a great straight man to Mandylor's seasoned and very much over it, pro. I think there's going to be a sequel at some point too.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 20, 2020

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
According to Adkins fb Debt Collector 2 has finished shooting.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Prometheus is awesome

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Savage Dog nearly fell into the trap other Adkins movies do - make him out to be too good a fighter, so it devolves into boring gunplay. Thankfully the last fight was excellent and it pulled out of the nosedive

I've been watching his stuff in the background while I work and I gotta say I wish I'd been in college when Adkins was pumping out movies since they seem like something TNT would have marathoned constantly

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

dokmo posted:

According to Adkins fb Debt Collector 2 has finished shooting.

Wasn't he super dead at the end of that one? Or am I mixing up my Adkins movies?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Popelmon posted:

Wasn't he super dead at the end of that one? Or am I mixing up my Adkins movies?

He's bleeding out horribly but is in a car

Hell, crank 2 opens after Statham clearly dies in crank 1, right?

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Unless the brain is completely obliterated there's always room for a sequel.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Forgot that if I'm watching them and writing these reviews on Letterboxd I might as well post them here too since people reading an action movies thread might be interested.

12 Rounds 3: Lockdown (2015) - 2.5/5, HBOgo
A corrupt cop version of Die Hard. The story doesn't matter so it takes a while to get going, but you eventually get to the point where you get to see insane Home Alone-level kills. A very fun low budget film.

10 Minutes Gone (2019) - 2.5/5, Amazon Prime
The plot and production on this are nothing, really. In that way, it is A Movie. Bruce Willis filmed his entire appearance in a single room, talking on the phone.

BUT, Michael Chiklis spends the entire film interrogating people and firing guns, and saying things like "what did you do!?" That means that this is 89 minutes of additional Vic Mackey content, 11 years after the end of The Shield. If you loved The Shield, it is a very entertaining viewing experience.

Wild Card (2015) - 2.5/5, Amazon Prime
An uneven, but very watchable 90 minute film. It's a movie about a washed up guy with gambling problems in Vegas, but a decision was made that since that guy is Jason Statham, the movie also needs Jason Statham action sequences. So Corey Yuen contributed three of them. They are awesome, and I love those kinds of scenes, but they are also out of place with the tone and pace of the rest of the movie.

I won't really remember this much after a while, but I did enjoy it while I was watching.

Triple Threat (2019) - 3/5, Netflix
Very complicated plot does a lot of heavy lifting to move the pieces into place and deliver a movie that is about the team of Tony Jaa, Tiger Chen, and Iko Uwais facing off against the evil foreigner team of Scott Adkins, Michael Jai White, and Michael Bisping.

The fights are very good, and the gun stuff is not too bad either. The story is indecipherable for much of the running time, but that's not what you're here for.

It's worth your time if you like to go to streaming services and say "what's Scott Adkins up to?"

Riot (2015) - 2.5/5, Netflix
The quality of films like these really has moved up compared to how they were in the 80s and 90s. This clearly had no budget but technological advances have made it into a very watchable film.

There are two or three too many subplots for a movie of this length but there's a lot to enjoy here. Dolph Lundgren's performance is great, Chuck Liddell doing a Russian accent is so excellently bad, Danielle Churchran was fantastic, and the CBR Stunt Team put together some excellent fights, especially the small room stuff.

The biggest drawback for me is that Matthew Reese didn't really do it for me, as an actor or a stunt performer.

Final Kill (2020) - 1/5, Amazon Rental
There was nothing to this one. Almost no action, which is saying something when the run-time of the movie outside of the credits is like 75 minutes. One good scene near the end and a couple bad ones, but mostly talking.

The single scene cameos by name actors to get them on the poster are fine, but that's what they are. Not sure why Randy Couture with a gun specifically is on the poster, he's in the movie for 2 minutes and he never uses a gun.

The movie is mostly a vehicle for Ed Morrone to be a sarcastic "over it" crime guy with a hidden serious edge. But he's not really charismatic in that role and neither the script nor his improvising are funny or entertaining.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

Boco_T posted:

Wild Card (2015) - 2.5/5, Amazon Prime
An uneven, but very watchable 90 minute film. It's a movie about a washed up guy with gambling problems in Vegas, but a decision was made that since that guy is Jason Statham, the movie also needs Jason Statham action sequences. So Corey Yuen contributed three of them. They are awesome, and I love those kinds of scenes, but they are also out of place with the tone and pace of the rest of the movie.

I won't really remember this much after a while, but I did enjoy it while I was watching.

Triple Threat (2019) - 3/5, Netflix
Very complicated plot does a lot of heavy lifting to move the pieces into place and deliver a movie that is about the team of Tony Jaa, Tiger Chen, and Iko Uwais facing off against the evil foreigner team of Scott Adkins, Michael Jai White, and Michael Bisping.

The fights are very good, and the gun stuff is not too bad either. The story is indecipherable for much of the running time, but that's not what you're here for.

It's worth your time if you like to go to streaming services and say "what's Scott Adkins up to?"

Riot (2015) - 2.5/5, Netflix
The quality of films like these really has moved up compared to how they were in the 80s and 90s. This clearly had no budget but technological advances have made it into a very watchable film.

There are two or three too many subplots for a movie of this length but there's a lot to enjoy here. Dolph Lundgren's performance is great, Chuck Liddell doing a Russian accent is so excellently bad, Danielle Churchran was fantastic, and the CBR Stunt Team put together some excellent fights, especially the small room stuff.

The biggest drawback for me is that Matthew Reese didn't really do it for me, as an actor or a stunt performer.

I've seen these three. While I agree with you about Wild Card, I think Triple Threat and Riot deserve an extra star; Triple Threat because they specifically did NOT make it cartoonishly over-the-top, and Riot because not only did the people in the background of fights have choreography, even the ladies had decent choreography.

I also really enjoyed Lundgren attempting to be shy, and ending up looking like he had a neck injury, instead. :D <3

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Scott Adkins is counting down and talking about his top 5 movies on his yt channel. He's done 2 already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6RcEPY0A40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1q21lWdJzA

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
How the gently caress did he film 11 action scenes in 6 weeks while injured

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Here's my two for this week:

Beyond the Law (2019) - 3/5, Hoopla
This is a movie about Johnny Messner getting revenge when his son is killed. It's not Exit Wounds 2, despite the prominent Steven Seagal and DMX on the box. Messner is a good action guy, and he gives a good performance here.

The script is good, much better than usual for this kind of movie. The plot, on the other hand, is on the level that you'd expect. Unnecessarily labyrinthine to the detriment of the film's watchability. There are also not enough action scenes for the runtime, though I'd say the one good one is very good.

The reason this gets an above-average review compared to movies on a similar level is that this film has an all-timer Steven Seagal performance. He spends the entire movie sitting in different chairs giving speeches, and he is speaking in a weird accent while saying "street talk" given to him by the script. This is a movie where Seagal says he's "fiddin' to" multiple times.

So even though I'm giving this a 3/5, I am also rating it MUST SEE for the Seagal performance.

Wolf Warrior (2015) - 2.5/5, Amazon Prime
A truly insane film. Overt Chinese propaganda combined with Scott Adkins and two of the wildest things I've ever seen in a movie.

The fights are good, especially the final battle. Wu Jing is a good action actor and director, and Scott Adkins gives a good performance. The direction especially in the first sequence has some very interesting ideas shown that give it a unique look.

The main problem with the movie is that a lot of the runtime is dedicated to identically dressed squads of people running through the forest shooting at each other, and it's not done in a compelling way. The middle of the movie is a real drag for it.

But even in spite of all that, there are some good moments and the "Wolf Warrior wolf scene" is unforgettable. I have no idea why it is in the movie and it is amazing. The other truly remarkable moment is the throwaway explanation for the villain's motive that made me say OH MY GOD at my TV.

This one's worth your 90 minutes for sure, even with the lame middle.

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

I've seen these three. While I agree with you about Wild Card, I think Triple Threat and Riot deserve an extra star; Triple Threat because they specifically did NOT make it cartoonishly over-the-top, and Riot because not only did the people in the background of fights have choreography, even the ladies had decent choreography.

I also really enjoyed Lundgren attempting to be shy, and ending up looking like he had a neck injury, instead. :D <3
I should be clear regarding the ratings that I'm scoring these movies against actual good ones and thus leaving room on the scale for those. But when I sit down to watch an action movie that didn't come out in theaters and is less than 100 minutes, I consider anything 2.5 or above good+ and well worth my/your time. I am never unhappy giving one of these that score.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I don't even remember Adkins' motivation in wolf warrior, what was it?

And yes, the wolf scene is phenomenal and completely out of nowhere, especially since I'd seen wolf warrior 2 first which has nothing like that

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

mastershakeman posted:

I don't even remember Adkins' motivation in wolf warrior, what was it?

And yes, the wolf scene is phenomenal and completely out of nowhere, especially since I'd seen wolf warrior 2 first which has nothing like that
Adkins's motivation was money, I meant the motivation of the guy that hired all them that rescued from being arrested early in the movie. His motivation was that he was stealing Chinese blood so he could make a supervirus that would kill only Chinese people.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Boco_T posted:

Adkins's motivation was money, I meant the motivation of the guy that hired all them that rescued from being arrested early in the movie. His motivation was that he was stealing Chinese blood so he could make a supervirus that would kill only Chinese people.

Haha yeah that ruled

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

Boco_T posted:

I should be clear regarding the ratings that I'm scoring these movies against actual good ones and thus leaving room on the scale for those. But when I sit down to watch an action movie that didn't come out in theaters and is less than 100 minutes, I consider anything 2.5 or above good+ and well worth my/your time. I am never unhappy giving one of these that score.

Gotcha. I avoid rating anything except action movies because . . . I'm enough of an action fan that I choose what to watch by how many things explode in the trailers. My reviews would be like "Schindler's List, one star, nothing happens but some paperwork".

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
after watching 10 movies with scott adkins in them i finally watched undisputed 2 & 3 (i never saw the first one, going off the theory that like with the purge franchise, the first is hollywood crap and the sequels rule)

a) its crazy to see how fast adkins is in undisputed 2 where he's a 'mere' 30 years old . b) way too many ridiculous slo mos/speed ups/camera zoom ins with a 'whoosh' sound
also BOYKA BOYKA ADKINS ADKINS im hype as hell from the final fight in 3

edit: between these movies and the yakuza video game series ive decided my new life goal is to go to underground coliseums and bet on fighters

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 31, 2020

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

The first Undisputed isn’t like the sequels at all but it’s alright. It’s a Walter Hill movie with Wesley Snipes, Ving Rhames, and Peter Falk as the grumpy boxing old-timer. I recommend giving it a shot.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Yeah I have only seen Undisputed 1 and 2, but my review of 1 from 11/24/2013 tweets is:
"Undisputed rules so far, start with a No Limit rap performance followed by Peter Falk followed by Snipes destroying a Nazi, then Jim Lampley"
"Undisputed told a simple story but it told it well. The big fight was very well done. Check it out on laserdisc at all Hollywood Videos."

Of course then I see that on 12/5/2013 I watched Undisputed 2:
"Michael Jai White and Scott Adkins rule and the fights were awesome so Undisputed II was superior to Undisputed"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If you have to read past "It's a Walter Hill movie" what are you thinking?!?

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

FancyMike posted:

The first Undisputed isn’t like the sequels at all but it’s alright. It’s a Walter Hill movie with Wesley Snipes, Ving Rhames, and Peter Falk as the grumpy boxing old-timer. I recommend giving it a shot.

Falk's back-to-back monologues (the one about his wife and the Meyer Lansky story) are worth it all by themselves

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I'm a huge fan of Outlaw Vern's reviews, but he's pretty lukewarm on the original Undisputed. I love it, but I generally love the sequels even more. Aside from Universal Soldier: Regeneration and Day of Reckoning, they're without a doubt the best quality DTV action films I've seen.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I unironically loved every minute of Bad Boys For Life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

CubanMissile posted:

I unironically loved every minute of Bad Boys For Life.

It slumps a bit and not every action bit is good but it is hugely entertaining and the chase scene and climactic action scene were baller.