Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

In Training posted:

Ammo drops based on how much ammo you have left, with the intent to make you jump around weapon types as you go.

I know people generally say RE4 doesn't need a remake, and I agree it's like 99% good. But that 1% is being able to change weapons without opening the briefcase, it would be so tight to just have it mapped to a d-pad quick swap menu or something.

unless i am wildly misremembering and conflating the ammo drop situation with the original dead space i am pretty sure the problem with the ammo drops was that the game didnt especially differentiate between your available ammo types when you were ~low~ and thus carrying around the TMP could get you a lot of TMP ammo drops you absolutely do not want instead say more shotgun ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
My muscle memory from 200 hours of RE2 definitely helped during the demo.

I'm really curious to see if they can make Nemesis not irritating. It's too early to say. He seems cool as gently caress so far. He's fast, he's relentless, he hits hard, he's hard to dodge, and he does a lot of damage. Need to play the final game to know if he's too overbearing or it's just the right level of challenge. He hit me once and took me down to caution, which seems liiiiiiittle too strong for just one hit, but we'll see how it all works out.

The movement feels and the weapons feel great, the guns in particular are chunkier sounding and feeling than in RE2. The zombies seem a little less reactive than before, like you can't seem to peel them apart like onions with gunfire, but I'm guessing that's because there's a lot more of them on screen at once, so they gotta save processing power.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I'm playing the RE2 remake, which has been great so far. Really good balance between the classic games and the modern ones (though I kinda miss the ability to do follow-up attacks on stunned enemies, even if it's just to push them down and get some breathing room). Problem is I apparently need the Heart Key, and I have no idea where it is. I've been pretty thorough in my searching but I've pretty much run out of places to look and Mr. X is a colossal pain in my rear end. Seriously, he seems to zero in on my exact location if I do so much as breathe. Other than having to restart because I exhausted all my healing before my second trip to the Police Department the first time around, no complaints, really.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

I loving loved the noise made by the handgun in the demo. Really loud and satisfying compared to the re2 handguns which felt like pea shooters.

Also has anyone found a reliable way avoid being hooked in when you're running away from nemesis?

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Grimthwacker posted:

I'm playing the RE2 remake, which has been great so far. Really good balance between the classic games and the modern ones (though I kinda miss the ability to do follow-up attacks on stunned enemies, even if it's just to push them down and get some breathing room). Problem is I apparently need the Heart Key, and I have no idea where it is. I've been pretty thorough in my searching but I've pretty much run out of places to look and Mr. X is a colossal pain in my rear end. Seriously, he seems to zero in on my exact location if I do so much as breathe. Other than having to restart because I exhausted all my healing before my second trip to the Police Department the first time around, no complaints, really.

Are you playing as leon or claire? Each character only gets 3 of the keys, claire cant get club key and leon cant get one of diamond or heart I cant remember.

The game never properly mentions this annoyingly

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Mainwaring posted:

Are you playing as leon or claire? Each character only gets 3 of the keys, claire cant get club key and leon cant get one of diamond or heart I cant remember.

The game never properly mentions this annoyingly

Sorry, Leon. I still have the clock tower puzzle to do; I have the large gear in place but I'm apparently missing a small gear? And that kinda sucks that they give you all those locked doors for a key you can't get.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

i played the demo and yeah its really cool if a little too short, but two things:

1. holy hell i accidentally triggered nemesis early and was in a world of pain

2. what is the button prompt supposed to be for when you get grabbed? it just said hold left mouse button and a meter filled up and then didnt do anything?

i like how the level design is pretty open and you can open up shortcuts by just exploring

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
Demo feels great! Getting a perfect dodge is extremely satisfying

Nemisis one shot me on my first play though, he’s much more of a threat here than X in 2 so it’ll be interesting to see how they keep that up the whole game

very hyped, can’t wait for the release

demo question has anyone got all 20 of the bobble heads?

0 rows returned posted:

2. what is the button prompt supposed to be for when you get grabbed? it just said hold left mouse button and a meter filled up and then didnt do anything?

I think it’s just w prompt to hit the button to speed up the timer for how long you’re grabbed, but not really sure

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

That save room music, oh my.

I triggered Nemesis right near the end of my run and just ran for it. People who struggled with Mr X are in for a world of pain.

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
Wait how can it happen early?

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Dirty Deeds Done posted:

Wait how can it happen early?

if you go around the other side with the safe, itll trigger once you come back out of the donut shop into that little plaza area regardless of if youve done everything or not

i also tried seeing if you could avoid it by going back that way instead and theres a zombie thats just pounding on the other side of the door forever, so you have no choice but to trigger it

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Grimthwacker posted:

Sorry, Leon. I still have the clock tower puzzle to do; I have the large gear in place but I'm apparently missing a small gear? And that kinda sucks that they give you all those locked doors for a key you can't get.

It is to segregate their two plotlines the way the original game did. In the original game, Claire's subplot with Irons and Sherry was blocked off by the helicopter crash ruining the door to the Chief's office, and only Claire found the C4 to blast it open. Leon's subplot with Ada was gated by a car in the parking lot that needed two adults to push it.

This was rather clunky, and I think just having each character get 3/4 keys is a much more elegant solution.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Loving the demo so far, although - does it seem like the zombie gore has been toned down a bit? Not a big issue, I always just thought RE2's locational damage was really impressive. Limbs don't seem to stay on the ground after being severed anymore, and I haven't been able to bisect any zombies with a shotgun yet. Maybe it's just because there's more going on on-screen so it'd be too performance-intensive.

Nemesis is not loving around. The people who thought Mr. X was "too stressful" are not gonna survive this experience.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Come on. Took me a half hour to get to the end, and I only found 7 dolls while searching for them the whole time. There must be a lot more off in the distance/above ground than I thought

Whats the best deal I can get on the game on PC rn without funding terrorist organizations?

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3
Demo's lit af.

Enjoyed the Mega Man and Eagle (Street Fighter, CvS2) easter eggs.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Does finding all the dolls do anything in the demo?

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

I caved and downloaded the demo. Too hyped to not check it out.

Either Jill is tiny, or like 2 this game also has abnormally large cars in it.

E: Not complaining though, this seems like it will be a lot of fun.

EvilBlackRailgun fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 19, 2020

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Some things I discovered in the demo:

1. I don’t think you can shred corpses on the ground with Jill’s knife at least.

2. If you’re knifing and holding back at the same time, Jill flips the knife around and takes a large step back after the stab... for the first stab at least. Might make knife games with zombies more manageable.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Apparently there is an easy mode in this demo which starts you with the Assault Rifle. Just like in the PS1 version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJB4hm8T76o

This is cool as there are 20 Bobbleheads in the demo and one requires you knocking down Nemesis 3 times to get. Another requires 25 perfect dodges.

The demo sounds like it unlocks something for the main game.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

How does the new dodge mechanic feel in RE3? I remember it being a game changer in the original

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Rabid Snake posted:

How does the new dodge mechanic feel in RE3? I remember it being a game changer in the original

It's a game changer, if you get the timing down you are straight up loving styling on people. There's video of folks just standing there and back to back to back perfect dodging on Nemesis and dropping him.

Conversely if you *don't* dodge at all he gently caress your day up real real quick.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What is the point of the mash X thing.

It doesn’t do anything.

Also Nemesis has a hilarious introduction

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

In the original RE3 you could get some weapons early be taking on nemesis right? Any indication of that from the demo? I shot him with the shotgun a few times but he barely flinched

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Nemesis isn’t too bad. It seems like 6 shotgun shots to the thing on his chest makes him kneel.

That being said when he is up he is disturbingly quick.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I hope nemesis does drop them handgun parts if I kick his rear end

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
The grenades buy you a minute; I used em twice but it wasn't enough to save me. Game seems real smooth so far but its gonna take me a while to cope with our large over attached friend.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Mulva posted:

It's a game changer, if you get the timing down you are straight up loving styling on people. There's video of folks just standing there and back to back to back perfect dodging on Nemesis and dropping him.

Conversely if you *don't* dodge at all he gently caress your day up real real quick.

Can you use it infinitely or is there some sort of resource attached to it? When the first gameplay clips came out I saw some people saying it would use a stamina system so you would have to wait a while between dodges.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Infinitely. Dodge timing is a little bit tricky to get down at first, but once you get it it's pretty easy to pull off consistently.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

That demo was really fun, but man I gotta figure out that dodge timing. Just out of curiosity it's not operating on like God Hand rules where you can dodge command towards an attacking enemy and trigger a dodge roll right? I started out trying to do it that way and always got chomped but all of my successful attempts were from backwards, and I got one out of juking Nemesis once.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

The Question IRL posted:

Apparently there is an easy mode in this demo which starts you with the Assault Rifle. Just like in the PS1 version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJB4hm8T76o

This is cool as there are 20 Bobbleheads in the demo and one requires you knocking down Nemesis 3 times to get. Another requires 25 perfect dodges.

The demo sounds like it unlocks something for the main game.

damnit, i was afraid of this. wish they had made a unique demo like re7 if thats the case. might just save it for a second playthrough anyway, whatever it is, probably like, the mega buster or something.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I feel like I was able to dodge roll forwards at least once or twice. Not 100% though, was after triggering nemesis and the extra zombies, and was getting overwhelmed, so could be entirely mistaken.

Really enjoyed the demo, and have gotten the 19 known bobbleheads already. April 3rd seems like an eternity away at this point :ohdear:.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I never really messed with dodging mostly because I forgot it was there, but Nemesis is not loving around. Still he took a knee to a grenade and two shotty blasts without getting me so he's not that bad, step up from Leons cannon. I only found 4 dolls and I was looking for those jerks too. I assume they aren't all in the demo area maybe.

I feel like Jill's handgun has a way lower crit rate then the ones in RE2?

Caidin fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 20, 2020

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I definitely have dodged forward.

For the meter, you just have to mash the button very rapidly. If you mash it enough before the gauge fills they won't bite you as much or if you hit it fast enough you can push them away before getting bitten at all.

The important thing is that the amount of time you get on the meter, It seems like it can vary a little depending on how the zombie approaches you, like if you just run straight into one you won't even get it, etc.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

rabidsquid posted:

unless i am wildly misremembering and conflating the ammo drop situation with the original dead space i am pretty sure the problem with the ammo drops was that the game didnt especially differentiate between your available ammo types when you were ~low~ and thus carrying around the TMP could get you a lot of TMP ammo drops you absolutely do not want instead say more shotgun ammo.

If my memory is correct, you can almost never run out ammo in RE4 and find yourself completely turbo hosed. the game will gently caress with you sometimes but as far as I recall you're never in total no mans land.

Wish I could say the same for my one shot at a speed run with RE2 remake where I wound up saving before the final boss battle, making good time and then just utterly hopeless with no chance at all of killing that final fucker. I gave it a shot. Severngal. But I short changed myself on ammo going too fast.

FWIW, I hosed around with the game tonight with my son for the first time in a year and had totally forgotten where to go and in what order to do just about anything and, man, it was FUN. I love that panicky feeling of just sort of doing it blind and cold. Less though that MOTHERFUCKER! feeling of not bringing the bolt cutters/battery/key card the last time you swapped out at a save box. And even lesser still, working out the puzzle/codes/combination solutions.

Still had a blast with it though with him as my guide and navigator.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Grimthwacker posted:

Problem is I apparently need the Heart Key, and I have no idea where it is. I've been pretty thorough in my searching but I've pretty much run out of places to look and Mr. X is a colossal pain in my rear end.

Sorry for double post but I've been in your shoes. Trick is to look at the map and find areas/rooms that are red and not blue. Tells you which areas you missed something. I have a decent idea where you're stuck and if I remember right there's a room on the 3rd floor west wing that needs blowing up.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

If you need help getting the Charlie doll that requires downing Nemesis 3 times:
Leave the explosive barrel near the toy store untouched until the end of the demo and pick up both grenades (one in the corner alley locked by a chain and one in the subway office near the shotgun). Have the hose be the last thing you pick up after you have everything you want to pick up and the game will autosave when you go back through the Donut Shop. As soon as Nemesis spawns, shoot the generator to paralyze him and then toss a grenade at his feet to down him the first time. Go up the stairs to the area by the toy store and clear out zombies using shotgun headshots. Then use the hose, turn back towards the stairs, and wait for Nemesis to run up after you. Toss another grenade to down him a second time, then wait for him to get back up. When he spidermans away, run towards the cop car to make him respawn, then immediately run over to the explosive barrel, wait for him to get close, and shoot the barrel to down him a third time. Run back over to the cop car, it will open up, and you can shoot the doll.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
drat this demo ruled, I'm not even a big Resident Evil or zombie fan and I've been loving these remakes.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Very disappointed that Jill can't ride the horses outside of the toy store

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
My only issues were control related. Didn't like the M1 now picked up items, and spacebar wasn't quick knife ready. Oh, and Jill's knife skills leave a lot to be desired compared to Leon's wild quick slashes.

Sorely tempted to pre-order this, but will at least wait until the review embargo drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
It's understandable that they didn't want to make a pursuing enemy even more of a pain in the rear end to lose but it still feels kind of lame to make a beeline for any random dead end location if you need a breather from nemmy, especially with all the random little shops there are around.