Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

bonus wfh catte

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
biggest tip is to separate your fun space from your work space

if you're using the same computer for work as you do for gaming then you're going to have a hard time keeping things separate mentally. if you have a separate work computer on a separate desk you can go and sit down in your work chair (that you only sit in when you're working) and put yourself in a work headspace instead of a gently caress-around-and-have-fun headspace.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
look at this guy with his mansion

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

barkbell posted:

look at this guy with his mansion

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I've monopolized a quarter of the dining table.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

as i've been getting older it's been harder for me to get into playing a video game, so maybe try aging.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

MononcQc posted:

being able to self-structure time.

congrats on being the reason managers think they need your rear end in the chair for work to be done

jokes on you, i can waste an entire day with my rear end in the chair

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

fart simpson posted:

jokes on you, i can waste an entire day with my rear end in the chair

I identify with this but I'm not sure who the joke is actually on

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

MononcQc posted:

being able to self-structure time.

congrats on being the reason managers think they need your rear end in the chair for work to be done

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jabor posted:

I've monopolized a quarter of the dining table.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I think my workplaces external services are hosed today

either that or patching that is for whatever reason still happening broke stuff

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
i live in a one-room dorm so my desk is my everything space. i do have a separate work computer though.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

for unrelated reasons I started playing Rust right around the time this crap got started

gotta say, the extreme isolation, constant starving, and instant unbridled hostility towards every other human being you see is very on-message for the pandemic

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I have my work laptop centered on my desk and my personal laptop in an incredibly unergonomic lower desk at a right angle

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i realized that literally the only two things keeping me going right now are dreaming about 1: buying a small cottage, recently bleached, with a couple acres from a bank liquidation in a year or two, and 2: as soon as this first wave blows over, going from "poo poo i got rid of my prepper stash because people made fun of me and said it was weird and now I have like 10 cans of food" to having my dwelling packed floor to ceiling with tidy, inventoried shelves full of six months of living supplies and telling anybody else that calls me a hoarder to gently caress the hell off

retirement has completely vanished
growing old is fading
i will never find a job at another company as good as this one, so career is out (note that i am still very secure and my company is doing well, but the scythe eventually comes for all the wheat)

all i have is hope of becoming a tidy, funny hermit and making twitch streams showing people how to operate their new ham radio

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

it'll be fine jonny, try to relax, maybe get in touch with some local friends

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

got my work laptop on a stand next to my monitor for some barely-adequate dual monitor action. seriously get a laptop stand if you can, raising your laptop screen up to eye-level is a huge improvement, and makes it easier to use an external kb/mouse

but i've got no actual work to do yet so the laptop is just off to the side with email and skype up, monitor is set to my own desktop. getting paid to browse the web, in some ways it's like i never left the office!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Broken Machine posted:

it'll be fine jonny, try to relax, maybe get in touch with some local friends

i have two friends good enough to bother with things weighty enough to talk about how like, i'm going crazy. one has been exposed and the other has a family and a small child to take care of. aint happen. i am locked in this box.

i mean i'm not waving the gun around or anything. i'm calm. i just have absolutely no hope that the last 1/3 of my life will be anywhere near as interesting or fun or comfortable as the first 2/3.

but perhaps that's just the human condition. idk.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

the police have closed the beach near us, it was entirely empty all day long, maybe 10 people walking on a 2kmx100m stretch. Seems pretty nuts to me but maybe it was a big transmission vector? idk how sustainable the lockdown is going to be if safe activities aren't allowed to continue

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

pointsofdata posted:

the police have closed the beach near us, it was entirely empty all day long, maybe 10 people walking on a 2kmx100m stretch. Seems pretty nuts to me but maybe it was a big transmission vector? idk how sustainable the lockdown is going to be if safe activities aren't allowed to continue

there's gonna be a lot of stupidity with lockdowns and quarantines

some state (PA i think?) closed all the interstate rest stops, even the parking lots. but truckers gotta keep on trucking so ???

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
like I think I mentioned earlier, the regional parks here are still open but they've closed all the bathrooms -- I mean they don't really have a choice there; a bathroom is going to be a transmission hotspot so you'd have to clean it constantly and there are a lot of bathrooms to try to cover with limited staff

I guess they could keep some of them open maybe, to keep people from pissing and making GBS threads everywhere? maybe they are and I just don't know it :shrug:

burning swine
May 26, 2004

pointsofdata posted:

possibly that was in response to the video going around yesterday showing thousands of people idiots mingling on a florida beach like nothing was happening

I'm sure a lone person walking their dog through an abandoned beach is not going to garner any attention

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

You also fill out a form, and after initially saying you could do it on your phone you can't do that anymore. you can write it out and cut off the bottom each day to put a new one in though

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

burning swine posted:

possibly that was in response to the video going around yesterday showing thousands of people idiots mingling on a florida beach like nothing was happening

I'm sure a lone person walking their dog through an abandoned beach is not going to garner any attention

Possibly? I saw the gendarmes cruising along the road by the beach in their car yesterday so I'm not going to risk it, they love a bit of aggressive bureaucracy. They are definitely a lot more visible than normal, probably saw about 1 gendarme for every 20 people when I drove to the supermarket.

E: at the click and collect point at the supermarket they had a good system in place, you opened the boot, put your order number in the boot, then got back in the car, they put your stuff in, then you go and close the boot. I hope that the approach over the next few weeks is to do things like that and try to find new ways of doing things which are safe.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 19, 2020

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

pointsofdata posted:

You also fill out a form, and after initially saying you could do it on your phone you can't do that anymore. you can write it out and cut off the bottom each day to put a new one in though

you talking about france? i haven't tried this thing out yet but it sucks if phone version is not ok anymore

edit: welp gonna put that hoarded toilet paper into good use, this will be fine to the officer gentleman-madame

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Penisface posted:

you talking about france? i haven't tried this thing out yet but it sucks if phone version is not ok anymore

edit: welp gonna put that hoarded toilet paper into good use, this will be fine to the officer gentleman-madame

Yep, not ok anymore: http://www.leparisien.fr/societe/confinement-non-l-attestation-de-deplacement-n-est-pas-valable-sur-smartphone-18-03-2020-8282709.php

I'm not sure why, maybe they felt like people weren't doing it, were seeing someone coming to fine them, then whipping out their phones and filling it in? I've learnt not to think too hard about why you have to fill out forms here though.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

pointsofdata posted:

Yep, not ok anymore: http://www.leparisien.fr/societe/confinement-non-l-attestation-de-deplacement-n-est-pas-valable-sur-smartphone-18-03-2020-8282709.php

I'm not sure why, maybe they felt like people weren't doing it, were seeing someone coming to fine them, then whipping out their phones and filling it in? I've learnt not to think too hard about why you have to fill out forms here though.

nah it's probabyl an army/cops thing - don't trust stuff you do not understand. a piece of paper is safe and can be easily kept as evidence - smartphones are hugely personal and full of the person's different germs and a million other legal-whatever complications

i have not had to go out yet, so let's see how this develops :)

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

told to wfh indefinitely late last week. daily standups and other meetings have been interesting - people wearing hoodies and tshirts with bed hair, even a director ha

a guy on my team was shocked to learn that his 4 megabit/sec DSL was insufficient for anything but the most basic tasks over the company vpn. rdp'ing into a server didnt even work properly. he has been some flavor of computer toucher for like 30 years. he's a nice guy though

Speaking of the vpn, we are lucky we had a really really bad cold snap here last year which showed the infrastructure team that it was not ready for a mass wfh situation, so they spent the last year making improvments to it which are now paying off

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
feel like the state is stepping up here. I hope they take this opportunity to nationalise as much as possible. struggling? sell shares to the govt. gently caress

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
lol tried to dial into a vendor’s Gotomeeting at 3 ET and got busy signal. web site not responding. :xd:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
like imagine if our pharmaceutical management company was forced to source 20% of its drugs (and varied in a smart way) from inside the country. genius.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

except for getting groceries i haven't left my apartment since they announced the shelter-in-place on friday and i'm starting to go nuts

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I’ve nestled into wfh fine at this point, ergo aside, and it feels like I’ve been doing this forever

My daily routines are like 90% the same I just don’t drive to work

I really should have grabbed my keyboard and mouse though

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

akadajet posted:

as i've been getting older it's been harder for me to get into playing a video game, so maybe try aging.

While my gaming variety has gone down, I find myself playing more of the same stuff over and over. Anything coop interests me because it's the easiest way for my social circle to get together in any capacity considering everyone's schedules these days. Deep Rock Galactic is currently the choice.

On the WFH front, I got myself a nice lap desk and it's helped tremendously in that I can sit anywhere in the house now and work.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

except for getting groceries i haven't left my apartment since they announced the shelter-in-place on friday and i'm starting to go nuts

welcome to my life

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
but you are a shut-in by choice

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

but you are a shut-in by choice

yes, choice

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
so what's your point then

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

so what's your point then

I was being sarcastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

from what i've read you're allowed to go out and travel to exercise, so do that? think you're even allowed to go with a friend so long as you stay six feet apart