Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Watching 3 20 minute episodes in a row isn’t a binge that’s just good old fashioned “veggin out”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yes, but when you're trying to convince someone to watch a new show, with the endless content we have now, they probably need a little more than "generic adult animated sitcom".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Yes, but when you're trying to convince someone to watch a new show, with the endless content we have now, they probably need a little more than "generic adult animated sitcom".

The show's over and has universal critical acclaim, if someone refuses to watch it that's not really my problem anymore.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I tend to think at this point basically anyone who would have been really into Bojack horseman has probably had multiple opportunities to discover it by now

Also for better or worse any other adult animation that focuses on depression, mental health, drug abuse or similar themes is going to be walking in Bojack’s shadow and will be endlessly compared to it

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Solice Kirsk posted:

Honestly I think binging through it would be a totally different experience and I kinda wish I could have done that. I'd kinda like to know what it felt like plowing through all at once instead of letting each season mellow for almost a year.

Starting a month before season 6 was announced and then reading through the better chunk of a decade of posts here saying, "I think Bojack's gonna take up running and get better next season!" was a fun ride.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Starting a month before season 6 was announced and then reading through the better chunk of a decade of posts here saying, "I think Bojack's gonna take up running and get better next season!" was a fun ride.

Yeah I pretty much did this and it owned.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Shot:

https://twitter.com/bojackhorseman/status/1237494694457643008?s=21

Chaser:

https://twitter.com/jtahoyle/status/1237495434777681921?s=21

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So I've been doing a rewatch of some key episodes from Bojack, and I just finished watching Free Churro, and I forgot about Bojack's rant about water & drowning, I wonder if that was done on purpose to coincide with Bojack's crazy hallucination when he is drowning in his old pool.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Am I a plucky young child on a 90s sitcom, because that is too much, man!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

this is perfection, like the second one, the first one is just completely outclassed

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Vietnamwees posted:

So I've been doing a rewatch of some key episodes from Bojack, and I just finished watching Free Churro, and I forgot about Bojack's rant about water & drowning, I wonder if that was done on purpose to coincide with Bojack's crazy hallucination when he is drowning in his old pool.

Well there’s that scene in season 3 where Diane tells him that when he kills himself there’s going to be no one there to stop him. And they are standing by the pool.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There was no way Bojack was ever going to die anywhere but the pool. It’s been telegraphed harder than anything else in the show.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I was kind of blown away by the bit in this interview where RBW makes it sound like more of an off-the-cuff decision

quote:

Bob-Waksberg: I don’t want to say it was planned from the beginning of the series, but certainly when we were thinking, “What is causing BoJack to [enter this death hallucination]” we knew that he was relapsing and drinking and doing drugs again. It felt like, “Oh yeah, he could just pass out on the couch … or it could be in the pool. Let’s go that way. That is much more resonant.” In the credits, but also throughout the series, there have been so many references to swimming and drowning. It felt like a nice pay-off.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Honestly I think binging through it would be a totally different experience and I kinda wish I could have done that. I'd kinda like to know what it felt like plowing through all at once instead of letting each season mellow for almost a year.

I binged the first four seasons shortly before season five came out.

The first episode of the show I ever saw was "Brand New Couch," the season two premiere. That was all the preparation I needed.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Daikloktos posted:

I was kind of blown away by the bit in this interview where RBW makes it sound like more of an off-the-cuff decision

Sometimes I just wonder if artists are just talking absolute poo poo in interviews to amuse themselves and their friends. Like RBW had the death planned from the start and all the foreshadowing was totally deliberate and then he winks to his mates and walks into the interview going "oh yeah we totally just made that up at the last moment" and everyone just takes his word for it. Wayne Coyne from the Flaming Lips swears he hasn't done drugs in years but I'm convinced he immediately goes home after the interview and swallows a sheet of acid

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

Sometimes I just wonder if artists are just talking absolute poo poo in interviews to amuse themselves and their friends. Like RBW had the death planned from the start and all the foreshadowing was totally deliberate and then he winks to his mates and walks into the interview going "oh yeah we totally just made that up at the last moment" and everyone just takes his word for it. Wayne Coyne from the Flaming Lips swears he hasn't done drugs in years but I'm convinced he immediately goes home after the interview and swallows a sheet of acid

My guess is no, it wasn't so much a single concrete scene they had written down somewhere that they knew they would need to break out so much as a motif they had played with series-wide and decided to bring to a climax. The show has changed direction or lost track of ideas before (Jill Pill, Bojack trying theater in NYC), so the idea that everything was planned from the start doesn't make much sense to me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You know, rewatching season 3, Jill Pill and the NYC play weren't really dropped ideas at all. Jill Pill just served to get Bojack back in touch with Cuddleywhiskers, which set up the Bojack Horseman show. And that was all leading up to the exact moment Bojack broke what was left of Sarah Lynn's heart in 2007, which tied directly to her death. Bojack doesn't get to do the play because while he keeps saying he wants to do meaningful artistic work like Secretariat or a small personal play, he keeps focusing all his energies on dumb shallow things like the Oscar campaign. The show didn't drop those ideas, Bojack did.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I got the impression they never had the plot hooks set up at the end of a season fully set in stone to when they wrote them out. Ana Spanakopita and Stefanie played out very different from their introductions

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
https://twitter.com/DavisBrandon13/status/1237530960037466112

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

You know, rewatching season 3, Jill Pill
Jill Pill?!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/arnettwill/status/1239251364795920384?s=21

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Does he have like ... a mump?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Wafflecopper posted:

well I know that LOST writers, despite frequently stating there was a plan, are surrounded by anecdotes of them drunkenly admitting at BBQs and poo poo that they were just making up whatever bullshit they wanted and had no idea where to go

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Or BSG, where they literally started every single episode with a card saying THEY HAVE A PLAN

And then they got to the end and it was like ... lol sike

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Or BSG, where they literally started every single episode with a card saying THEY HAVE A PLAN

We are just going to play all along the watch tower and there's been a bunch of people who don't know they are evil but remember that they are when they hear the song!

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
horse man did not commit suicide

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

pixaal posted:

We are just going to play all along the watch tower and there's been a bunch of people who don't know they are evil but remember that they are when they hear the song!

I'll never understand why that song in particular, I mean I'm totally on board with the idea of some melody that's particularly earworm-y being something innately buried in our biological subconscious, but AATWT doesn't really have a melody even

It's a lot of sing-talking against a three-note bass line, plus a guitar solo

e: It's like when I read Spellsinger, which featured a high school kid getting transported to a fantasy world of furries, and of course he had his guitar with him which he used to make friends and influence people. He demonstrated his skills by playing that famous six-string classic "Eleanor Rigby" :wtc:

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 19, 2020

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the best thing BSG did was catapult bear mccreary's career thank you

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Did we ever get a reason why Dianne was drawn to write a biography of Secretariat? Seems like that should have come up at some point...

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I'd imagine she's just drawn to fundamentally broken people that others see as idols. That probably doesn't narrow down the field of celebrities much, so I'd chalk it up to coincidence

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Data Graham posted:

It's a lot of sing-talking against a three-note bass line, plus a guitar solo

Yeah but that three note bass line sounds bomb as hell, especially in the Bear McCreary version.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Daikloktos posted:

Did we ever get a reason why Dianne was drawn to write a biography of Secretariat? Seems like that should have come up at some point...

She admits at one point that she was obsessed about Horsin' Around growing up, presumably she looked up her idol's idol at one point and found it interesting enough to keep digging.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

well I know that LOST writers, despite frequently stating there was a plan, are surrounded by anecdotes of them drunkenly admitting at BBQs and poo poo that they were just making up whatever bullshit they wanted and had no idea where to go

From experience, most of the best ideas aren't thought out ahead of time, they're artists capitalizing on themes and ideas they've noticed run through their work. This can be accidental ("huh, we've used water as a metaphor a lot, I think I see something we could do") or deliberate ("so we settled on using water as a metaphor and have been consistent with it, now I just had a great idea on how to bring it around"). And sometimes it's just the audience seeing something that wasn't deliberately intended but works out so well you'd think it'd have to.

When you fail to be skilled enough to do any of those, you get LOST.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Careful, you might attract one of those people who keeps insisting the finale was good, actually, and only people who don't understand art would say otherwise.

Like Zach Snyder fans but for TV.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Careful, you might attract one of those people who keeps insisting the finale was good, actually, and only people who don't understand art would say otherwise.

For a second I thought you were saying the BoJack finale was bad and was writing a reply when I realized you meant lost. Carry on.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

pixaal posted:

For a second I thought you were saying the BoJack finale was bad and was writing a reply when I realized you meant lost. Carry on.

I would never.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lurdiak posted:

The first half was pretty rad when it was all space battles and boarding a giant space station. Then it took one of the biggest leaps into awfulness I’ve ever seen and made me hate basically the entire post-New Caprica show. I really cannot overstate how bad the BSG finale was.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Data Graham posted:

Also they did a movie literally called "The Plan."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The first half was pretty rad when it was all space battles and boarding a giant space station. Then it took one of the biggest leaps into awfulness I’ve ever seen and made me hate basically the entire post-New Caprica show. I really cannot overstate how bad the BSG finale was.

Really should've specified I was talking about Lost.