Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I also remember using CDRWIN for bin/cue files and if you tried to crack it, it would act like it worked then silently create coasters :xd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

cdrecord expected you to provide a solaris device enumeration on the command line to address your cd drive

not just on solaris. on any platform. including freebsd, where no such enumeration exists, and nothing similar to it exists

you have to guess what the device name would be under solaris, in order to satisfy jorg schilling's solaris hardon

cdrecord will helpfully print the possible enumerations if you puzzle out the correct mystic incantation but good luck with that 300 pages of english-as-a-second-language gibberish

funny thing is that cdrecord still is the way on *nix to burn cds/dvds/blurays. wodim did not become a successful fork

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

You forgot MemoryStick MagicGate!

also you just made me lol thinking about MemoryStick that maxed out at 128MB and the only way Sony could get around it was by making MemorySticks with a bank switch on the back

memory sticks had the best form factor of any of the flash memory formats. Just the right size for normal human hands, had a little clicky thing to let you know it was plugged in, very good all around

too bad about literally every other aspect of them.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

this and disc juggler and generally living in a time when you had to know which software to use for what burning task because each of them did something different and none did all of it until CDBurnerXP was released.

dont forget Daemon Tools

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tankakern posted:

funny thing is that cdrecord still is the way on *nix to burn cds/dvds/blurays. wodim did not become a successful fork

wodim is gone because libburn + cdrskin replaced it (at least in debian and fedora)

no reason to maintain a fork of jorg's code if nobody needs it anymore

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

shoes that vacuum while you walk.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

shoes that vacuum while you walk.

that sounds like it would suck.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Midjack posted:

that sounds like it would suck.

xD

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7UK5kUlHLo

but I remember

https://www.cnet.com/news/denso-vacuum-shoes-ces-2017/

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

THIS NON FARMER REMEMBERS

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Hed posted:

I also remember using CDRWIN for bin/cue files and if you tried to crack it, it would act like it worked then silently create coasters :xd:

yeah and that murdered their market share and gave alcohol 120% or w/e the lead, well done on the self dickshot fellas

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

THIS NON FARMER REMEMBERS

what is non and how do you farm it?

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Shaggar posted:

what is non and how do you farm it?

I'm a NaN farmer

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
NiN farmer :black101:

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

rotor posted:

dont forget Daemon Tools

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

dont forget Daemon Tools
forgot about dae

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

FMguru posted:

forgot about dae

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

ooh

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

remember padus discjuggler, the disc burning program no one heard of until around 1999 for reasons

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
that windows xp bug that caused everyone to automatically create a thing called "Free Public WiFi" that never worked

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

remember padus discjuggler, the disc burning program no one heard of until around 1999 for reasons

for a while it was the only straighforward way to burn pirated Dreamcast games?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

oh yeah. the sega Saturn

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
ati

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
agp

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
3DO

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
pippin and its lack of hardware 3D despite a 3DO price point

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

FMguru posted:

forgot about dae

the imminent huh
Apr 6, 2016

holy poo poo it was stressful watching someone use an angle grinder without any protection and on dry grass to top it all off

i mean i guess it only takes one exploding grinder wheel or huge grass fire to learn the lesson, but it’s still not something i enjoy watching

anyway, funy tech poo poo:

anyone remember cia.gov World Fact Book?

it used to be a great source for basic information and statistics before Wikipedia became a thing. i must have used it for dozens of school assignments, it was a much more citable source than anything else that was freely available on-line at the time

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

it still exists: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I bet the cia factbook was intentionally off by some random margin on everything because the real values were important national intelligence secrets

the imminent huh
Apr 6, 2016

oh, disinformation was assumed and basically accepted to be part of it, but it was still an easily searchable and well organized actively maintained site, when the alternatives were Microsoft Encarta and some random webring or Geocities site

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

yeah it was just a nice place to go if you wanted a quick summary of the current political situation in Albania or if you needed to know roughly how much oil Latvia consumed or whatever.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

using cia factbook in an internet argument and getting a lol you trust the cia response

yes some princeton paper pusher is intentionally misstating burkina fasos landlines

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

nexus q being cancelled before it even shipped

performance degrading over time at the hardware level on the 2012 nexus 7

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Ruffian Price posted:

...is there a better way to rip now? I still do this

obviously using alt preset extreme

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Is there a user named 3D Megadoodoo yet?

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

3D Megadoodoo posted:

lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

3D Megadoodoo posted:

:mods:

lmao gently caress too late

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I lold