Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Twin Cinema posted:

Does anyone know what happened between Wendell and Michelle off the island? It seems like he cheated on her, but I am not sure.

We don't have details and it's fine to respect their privacy. Best guess is that Michelle took the relationship more seriously than Wendell did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Aerox posted:

Does anyone know what the contingency plan in the rules are if, at vote time, everyone is either gone or has made themselves immune? Do they just cancel tribal?

Not exactly the situation you described, but.....just watch if you haven't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzX7OXMhyUs

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Silly Burrito posted:

Not exactly the situation you described, but.....just watch if you haven't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzX7OXMhyUs

Right, but what if she also had an idol?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I hope they bring back the Survivor auction with fire tokens as currency. People actually have different amounts so you can have real bidding instead of everyone waiting around to all-in.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

i just got around to watching last night's episode and oh my godddddd

that was beautiful

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Aerox posted:

Does anyone know what the contingency plan in the rules are if, at vote time, everyone is either gone or has made themselves immune? Do they just cancel tribal?

Jeff has said in interviews that they're always careful with putting advantages into the game to make sure this is impossible, but Jeff is also an idiot/liar and it's definitely possible. For instance, if the post-swap red tribe had gone to the green camp and Tony found the green idol it would have been possible this season. I guess they just wouldn't hide an idol on the green tribe in that scenario, but that assumes production cares enough about avoiding this scenario when clearly they would love it and Probst would hype it up as "wow! the winners came to play, they completely broke the game, this is unprecedented!!!"

Anyway this season mostly rules, but the advantages and tokens and split idols and Edge stuff is all mostly convoluted garbage eating up screentime. This season has had a bunch of great moments and essentially zero of them have had anything to do with all the extra mechanics they're throwing in. The closest the extra mechanics have come to contributing to a good moment was Sandra's scheme this episode but if the tokens / her expiring idol didn't exist the outcome is ultimately still the same just with Denise sending Sandra out with Denise's own idol.

That's one of the worst part of these extra bells and whistles: they barely affect the game and when they do it's usually in an abrupt and unsatisfying way. With all the time spent on Island of the Idols last season (about 25% of each episode), how many of those advantages even influenced the game? Elaine's block a vote (which abruptly turned a strategically tense 4-4 split into a 4-3 steamroll), Dean's nullifier (depriving us of a Janet win), and Kellee's idol on Dean (okay that one was kind of cool).

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Aerox posted:

From https://survivor.fandom.com/wiki/Tiebreaker, so take it for what it's worth.

quote:

Null Votes
If a null vote (i.e. a vote where none of the votes cast count, possibly due to multiple Hidden Immunity Idols negating all votes) occurs, a vote restart would occur.

All of those who had gained individual immunity (e.g. those with the Immunity Necklace and the ones who played a Hidden Immunity Idol) during the regular vote are individually immune; this immunity cannot be passed before the restarted vote. This is a fully restarted vote with the non-immune contestants not considered "tied", so the non-immune contestants would remain eligible to vote; however, it is believed that idols and advantages cannot be played at a restarted vote. In the event that a restarted vote ties, it is treated the same as any other tie, even if everyone eligible to receive votes at the restart is part of the tie.

Clear as mud.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Silly Burrito posted:

From https://survivor.fandom.com/wiki/Tiebreaker, so take it for what it's worth.

Clear as mud.

It's perfectly clear but it's not applicable to this question because it's for a situation where all the votes went to someone with an idol, but there are people on the tribe who did not use one and just had no votes against them (ie: what happened to Cirie). In the situation we're trying to figure out, everyone would still have immunity because it explicitly states that immunity transfers over to the next vote.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

It's perfectly clear but it's not applicable to this question because it's for a situation where all the votes went to someone with an idol, but there are people on the tribe who did not use one and just had no votes against them (ie: what happened to Cirie). In the situation we're trying to figure out, everyone would still have immunity because it explicitly states that immunity transfers over to the next vote.

Then they would just revote again duh

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I think a fun twist for upcoming seasons would be an open, known rule that only one hidden immunity idol can be played per tribal, it's whoever yells it first, and the idol can be played at any point once Tribal Council officially starts (where it would function as a regular immunity necklace and prevent people from writing your name down) up until the normal time after the votes are cast (where it can block cast votes).

Do you play early? Do you play late? Do you know who else actually has one? Do you risk waiting for the votes for a huge move or blow up the vote early and maybe get an alliance member in trouble? Who knows!

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Aerox posted:

A camera operator goes home and then the next tribal council is done with Jeff's voiceover over drawn art of the players like in sealed court trials.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

bagrada posted:

A camera operator goes home and then the next tribal council is done with Jeff's voiceover over drawn art of the players like in sealed court trials.

I was picturing a Junji Ito type story where Jeff has been going to tally zero votes and calling for a revote in a cycle for the last 200 years and everyone is slowly turning into their torch.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

blue squares posted:

Then they would just revote again duh

with everyone immune?

nerox
May 20, 2001

Aerox posted:

I think a fun twist for upcoming seasons would be an open, known rule that only one hidden immunity idol can be played per tribal, it's whoever yells it first, and the idol can be played at any point once Tribal Council officially starts (where it would function as a regular immunity necklace and prevent people from writing your name down) up until the normal time after the votes are cast (where it can block cast votes).

Do you play early? Do you play late? Do you know who else actually has one? Do you risk waiting for the votes for a huge move or blow up the vote early and maybe get an alliance member in trouble? Who knows!

Interesting, but makes immunity idols even more powerful since now they can be used offensively by a majority to make sure a minority alliance person goes home, essentially giving your entire majority alliance immunity. It will also weaken the minority alliance since only one minority alliance person can be protected and everyone knows who it would be, so majority alliance just goes to target B.

Another option is just make hidden immunity idols only playable at the urn when you write your vote, this will make it more powerful for minority alliances since majority alliances can't see if they chose a protected player and play reactionary idols.

But lets be honest, Jeff loves lots of idols played and its "more exciting TV" for the advantage avalanche to happen, so neither option will ever happen.

Lastly, Denise made they right move if for nothing more than getting the hidden immunity idol for half-price.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It occurred to me that Survivor starts filming at the end of March and goes through until July for the two seasons each year. Looked it up and yep, Survivor production delayed until May. But they still expect to be able to film then and put out the first season as originally planned in September.

I just don't see that happening.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Zesty posted:

It occurred to me that Survivor starts filming at the end of March and goes through until July for the two seasons each year. Looked it up and yep, Survivor production delayed until May. But they still expect to be able to film then and put out the first season as originally planned in September.

We've got our own Survivor going on now, with toilet paper as a coveted reward item.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zesty posted:

Wouldn't shock me if they just test everyone who's going to be going out there. Not like they have to worry much about it spreading to them from someone else at that point.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

IcePhoenix posted:

with everyone immune?

I think it implies they'd go to revote and none of the idols/advantages carry over. I'm not sure if it would make the challenge immunity null though?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

with everyone immune?

I was just joking, like you would just revote again and again for eternity

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Probably just let everyone stay then do a double later.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chic Trombone posted:

i just got around to watching last night's episode and oh my godddddd

that was beautiful

Best episode in many many seasons.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

If everyone is immune then Jeff is fired, replaced with Drew Carey.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

IcePhoenix posted:

Wouldn't shock me if they just test everyone who's going to be going out there. Not like they have to worry much about it spreading to them from someone else at that point.

Seems good in theory, but there's so many camera crew and production people around that it seems like it would be a pretty serious risk from exploding before the end of the season.

Also, the real question is are we going to end up with a bunch of lovely reality TV shows come fall, as I'm assuming the scripted TV shows are going to be hurt pretty bad as well.

There is still a season of The Amazing Race in the can, hope that gets to air at some point.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Normy posted:

Probably just let everyone stay then do a double later.

Yep, but they have to broadcast the angry shouty production meeting that follows during the next episode.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

blue squares posted:

I was just joking, like you would just revote again and again for eternity

oh ok, that went way over my head lol

maybe the contestants are finally allowed to vote out Jeff

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

There is still a season of The Amazing Race in the can, hope that gets to air at some point.

oh hell yes, give this to me

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Seems good in theory, but there's so many camera crew and production people around that it seems like it would be a pretty serious risk from exploding before the end of the season.

when I said everyone I meant literally everyone, not just the cast :v:

yes I realize this is a gross misuse of available testing kits

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

Big Taint posted:

If everyone is immune then Jeff is fired, replaced with Drew Carey.

Gary Busey.

https://i.imgur.com/kZtgECn.mp4

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Also, the real question is are we going to end up with a bunch of lovely reality TV shows come fall, as I'm assuming the scripted TV shows are going to be hurt pretty bad as well.

Like the writer's strike, lot's of re-runs coming, at least until new genres are invented (haven't been watching Big Brother or reading the thread, but boy howdy I'm guessing that's gonna be hosed up as it winds down).

Otteration fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 20, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

lovely reality tv is cheap to make but it still requires large casts and crews. I think the more practical thing we'll see if this lasts for awhile is the Networks pulling old shows out of the moth balls or airing cable/streaming shows.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

lovely reality tv is cheap to make but it still requires large casts and crews.

17 sexy and exciting volunteers (!) in 17 separate locked luxury FEMA isolation trailers watched and watching each other via remote cameras, texting at each other and text-voting out one loser each week.

Each loser gets their locked luxury trailer towed to Death Valley where their power and water is cut off and we watch the inevitable end game.

The remaining players text "LOL!" emojis at each other.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Oh hell yeah I'm ready for another season of Solitary, the best reality show that involved torturing its contestants!

https://www.geek.com/television/remembering-solitary-the-cruelest-sci-fi-reality-show-ever-made-1730987/

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Let's just keep everything the same, except animated.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The last time something like this happened tv-wise, with the big writer strike, we got the infamous BB season 9.

They have a completed TAR season? I know the one they were currently filming was stopped...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

SteveVizsla posted:

The last time something like this happened tv-wise, with the big writer strike, we got the infamous BB season 9.

They have a completed TAR season? I know the one they were currently filming was stopped...

Yeah, but again the issue during the writer's strikes was "no writers" so cheap and easy reality tv was the natural answer. Here the issue is "can't assemble large groups of people." And besides the fact that lovely reality tv is basically built on the idea of throwing a bunch of people in a small space together and letting them drive each other insane they have huge crews.

IF this lasts for a long time (and I think there's a scenario where we streamline testing and mass produce hospital equipment to make it safe to leave your home again) then I think that's when CBS starts thinking about airing Twilight Zone and Star Trek or Amazon sees how much a network will pay to air Man In The High Castle.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
In the greatest cosmic irony, the next season cast and crew are literally the only survivors of the world collapse

Now that would end up as a weird society in a couple hundred years. Worshipers of Bah'Stuhn'Rahb.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

precision posted:

In the greatest cosmic irony, the next season cast and crew are literally the only survivors of the world collapse

Now that would end up as a weird society in a couple hundred years. Worshipers of Bah'Stuhn'Rahb.

that's basically what's happening in German and Canadian Big Brother

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/no-news-is-good-news-big-brother-germany-cut-off-from-covid-19

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
https://twitter.com/BigBrotherCA/status/1240801079744479233

Here's the cast of Big Brother Canada learning about the coronavirus. It's very surreal. :stare:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

It just occurred to me they likely won't be able to do a live reunion show for this season.

That's a huge bummer, of all the live survivor finales you'd want to see...

Something_Hazy
Sep 21, 2019
I know we've sort of moved on already, but man I think Denise played that terribly. Why in the world burn the 2nd idol and why vote for Sandra? I think she should have voted for either Kim or Tony, whichever she preferred, and saved the idol. If Jeremy goes home that sucks but who really cares? You've got another idol still that obviously no one else thinks you have, and you might not even go to tribal again before the merge. She could have then gone back to camp, immediately ratted Sandra out to who ever is left between Tony/Kim assuming one of them went home, and tried to convince them to join her and Jeremy since they have no incentive to stick with Sandra at that point. Also, who cares if she promised Sandra another fire token? She's not obligated to give it to her, just refuse and then vote her out.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Or she can - singlehandedly - ensure that her shot at the somehow-queen won't miss and make certain that she and her closest ally are functionally invulnerable until the merge. It was high-risk to be sure and burning a second idol for what was essentially insurance against some really oblique angles was a bit weird but she took out the top current social threat and now has an ally for the rest of the game because of the second idol (go back and look at how ashamed he felt for voting for her, he won't do that again). Creating a newly-formed solid duo like that at this stage is an utterly clutch move that moved her from being an ablative immunity loss casualty to a real contender.

Had she stuck with Sandra's plan she'd have an idol, a fire token, and that's about it. Sandra had no loyalty to her, only her fire tokens. Any pre-merge loss would then force her to use that idol to survive, with no ally and no good path forward. A post-merge loss has her idol reduced to either a lucky play or a bargaining chip, with about as much guarantee of being honored as the deal in question here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
Also voting for anybody but Sandra can just be spun as Sandra's move since she felt so safe that instead of playing an expiring idol in a tribe of 5 she ended up netting a couple fire tokens. Voting that way just makes Denise look every bit the non-threat she was essentially called.

Her 2nd idol was a little tainted due to Ben and Adam knowing about it. So just holding it could make her a prime blindside target in the future.