Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Flipping channels over the weekend the PGA just re-ran last years golf, and the WWE is performed in front of an empty room. Jeopardy will have about a week of episodes with no audience before it goes dark. I've already read that some scripted shows have halted production for now.

So couch chatters, how weird do you think TV is going to be as the Corona Virus shuts down production? This is my speculation:

We've probably got a month or two before it becomes apparent, depending on how much is currently in the can. I'm thinking we'll see some reruns initially, but they'll get phased out as shows that were cancelled this season get their unaired episodes on the TV.

The remaining scripted programming won't fill all the time either, so I'm thinking we'll get movies, a lot of movies. Solo: A Star Wars Story will be a two-night slog event on ABC!

Sports will be a big one, with nothing new really happening, I think we'll get a lot of "classic" games re-aired. I'm not really sure if they'll just do one nationally, or if like live sports, you'll get different games, depending on the local markets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I watch so little 'live' TV that I'm hardly likely to notice. The biggest ones are any of the talk shows like Daily Show and Last Week Tonight which has already gotten weird.

I'm going to notice when Brooklyn 99 production shuts down and there's no more new episodes, but I think that's the only thing on network TV I'm watching right now.

Otherwise, other shows I'm watching on a weekly basis are Picard, Magicians, Devs and Westworld, but I have a feeling those already have their stuff in the can right now (maybe not Westworld.)

I got a backlog of like 20-30 shows with at least one full or multiple full seasons already available, so I have plenty to tide me over.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bull3964 posted:

I'm going to notice when Brooklyn 99 production shuts down and there's no more new episodes, but I think that's the only thing on network TV I'm watching right now.

Good news! This season of B99 is in the can:

https://tvline.com/gallery/coronavirus-tv-shows-delayed-list-photos/

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I'm putting together a list of 480p shows to watch on my tablet or smartphone the next time the power is out, so I can save the 1080p video for later. I put the first few episodes of each on there.

The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - never seen it. I'm actually looking forward to it
Golden Girls - I'm on Season 3
The Jeffersons - I've seen one episode a long while ago, and I liked it and All in the Family
Danny Phantom - never seen it

The Andy Griffith Show is available in 1080p on Blu-Ray now, and I'll try watching it eventually. I have an elderly apartment neighbor who I can overhear watching that show almost every day

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 19, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Woohoo!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sleeveless posted:

It's OK if you forgot The Goode Family and Extract, everyone else did too.

Wow, I actually totally did. I looked up the Goode Family on Wikipedia and got insta-flashbacks to that turd once I saw the picture on the article.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

galenanorth posted:

I'm putting together a list of 480p shows to watch on my tablet or smartphone the next time the power is out, so I can save the 1080p video for later. I put the first few episodes of each on there.

The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - never seen it. I'm actually looking forward to it
Golden Girls - I'm on Season 3
The Jeffersons - I've seen one episode a long while ago, and I liked it and All in the Family
Danny Phantom - never seen it

The Andy Griffith Show is available in 1080p on Blu-Ray now, and I'll try watching it eventually. I have an elderly apartment neighbor who I can overhear watching that show almost every day

Young Indy is very, very, very good. But. The episodes where he is a little kid are much less so. I'd recommend starting with Spring Break Adventure when he's in high school and going chronologically from there, then looping back around to the kid stuff once you're sold.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Wow, I actually totally did. I looked up the Goode Family on Wikipedia and got insta-flashbacks to that turd once I saw the picture on the article.

The Beavis and Butthead revival and Silicon Valley were both good but on the other hand he was a guest on a post-Sandy Hook InfoWars so I don't know if his politics actually got better or if he just got better at keeping them out of his work or at least filtering it through a less objectionable "rich/famous/stupid people suck" lens.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

ALFbrot posted:

Hello, sorry to barge in here with a question but it's driving me crazy:

A friend of mine mentioned there being a show in the 90s, probably on Nickelodeon , in which characters would have conversations on a roof. I immediately had a memory of the set, which I remember having at least two (blue?) inset seats/hammocks, but I cannot for the life of me place what it was.

Am I crazy? Also is there a "help be identify this weird tv memory" thread?

I feel like I vaguely remember this. Something from early 90s Snick.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slamhound posted:

The first episode has what is to my mind the absolute most hilarious and crushing joke ever.

Bill/Phil’s last wish: ”I wish I wasn’t dead.”

P.S., the crow flies at midnight.

Guess I'm going to re-watch NewsRadio this week. Still my favorite show of all time I think.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is NewsRadio the kind of show you can get into without the nostalgia? I don’t think it aired in the UK so I’ve never seen it, but I know a lot of shows from that era seem dated if you’ve never seen them before.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is NewsRadio the kind of show you can get into without the nostalgia? I don’t think it aired in the UK so I’ve never seen it, but I know a lot of shows from that era seem dated if you’ve never seen them before.

Worst thing that can happen is you don't care for it. It really is something special.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

EL BROMANCE posted:

I watched it a few years ago and really liked it, it takes a little while to go from a good fun workplace comedy to absolute bonkers but it's all good.

The episode where Jimmy James' book is translated to Japanese and then back to English and culminates with a reading from "Super Karate Monkey Death Car" is one of the most sensible chuckles I've ever had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpUJbUTljfU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

I really like it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cool, will grab the first season. Thanks!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just had to look up the suggestion box scene again because it’s too perfect:

https://youtu.be/BZGYLglsUXM

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

EL BROMANCE posted:

I watched it like two years ago (I had watched it while it was on TV, but was pretty young, so only remembered a handful of things) and it holds up comedy wise. Like lots of older movies/sitcoms, there are obvious tech things that fall flat, like cell phones being a novelty and news radio as an entity being a huge business, which I don't see as a problem. There isn't anything that ages poorly as far as treatment of minorities, LGBT, or any group really. The only nostalgia I had with it was how much I wished Phil Hartman was still around.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's an episode where there's a subplot about Dilbert/Scott Adams which kind of dates things since he's a huge chud.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's honestly upsetting to think of Dilbert as ever having any legitimate culture cache.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dilbert the comic wasn't always weird and bad but Scott Adams was (he was just better at hiding it back in the day.)

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Dilbert absolutely spoke to anyone who ever worked in an office setting, so its not bad/wrong that it was so popular. Also, it was fairly apolitical and mostly about "my dumb boss doesn't understand this very simple thing" which resonates with like 99.9% of Americans. I mean, look at the film catalogs of Bill Cosby, Kevin Spacey, [insert 19 others here] and loads of good movies and TV suddenly get very dated very quickly. So I don't judge a lot of that stuff based on that. While some were (and still are) open secrets, others were (and still are) very well hidden or completely unknown. Its truly impossible to know who and how much writers and creators actually knew.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

muscles like this! posted:

Dilbert the comic wasn't always weird and bad but Scott Adams was (he was just better at hiding it back in the day.)

Before Adams came out as a total chud, I had one of his audiobooks and it was unlistenable. I liked the Dilbert cartoon plenty when I was younger.

swickles posted:

The only nostalgia I had with it was how much I wished Phil Hartman was still around.

Yeah, he just seemed such a good dude :(

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Newsradio definitely ignored Catherine way too much and otherwise had pretty much no black people but the writers called themselves out on it eventually with the heatwave hallucination episode.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I once asked Joe Rogan if Khandi Alexander is as beautiful in person as she was on the show and he said "even more" and also said she was hilarious on set and is a very good dancer.

Such a good sitcom. One of my faves from that era for sure.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Thinkin' 'out Newsradio just makes me mad at Andy Dick all over again.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Toshimo posted:

Thinkin' 'out Newsradio just makes me mad at Andy Dick all over again.

They need to rerelease it on blu ray and one of the special features should just be an hour of Jon Lovitz kicking seven shades of piss out of Andy Dick.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Shudder just put Missions season 2 up and I think I’m the only person in existence excited about it. It’s a French tv show about a Mars mission gone wrong with weird alien poo poo. It’s not great tv by any means, but it’s decent schlock and I love Mars poo poo. Gonna alternate binging that and Mr Robot while I stave off the cabin fever and panic attacks. :woop:

Speaking of Shudder, they’re doing a 30-day free trial if you’re looking for a streaming service that caters almost exclusively to Horror and Cult. Lots of good stuff on there.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 19, 2020

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

ALFbrot posted:

Hello, sorry to barge in here with a question but it's driving me crazy:

A friend of mine mentioned there being a show in the 90s, probably on Nickelodeon , in which characters would have conversations on a roof. I immediately had a memory of the set, which I remember having at least two (blue?) inset seats/hammocks, but I cannot for the life of me place what it was.

Am I crazy? Also is there a "help be identify this weird tv memory" thread?

If anyone is wondering about this, it ended up being Joe Dante's Explorers from 1985.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My friend made me laugh a lot today

https://twitter.com/helloiambing/status/1240746331116879876?s=21

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Imagine the way swordchair must smell. Like all the railings at Disney World after 40 years of sweaty tourists have run their grubby hands and swampy asses against them.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Mu Zeta posted:

Newsradio definitely ignored Catherine way too much and otherwise had pretty much no black people but the writers called themselves out on it eventually with the heatwave hallucination episode.

Yeah, it was better than Friends and Seinfeld, but those shows set literally the lowest possible bar, and once Khandi Alexander left it was pretty bland.

muscles like this! posted:

There's an episode where there's a subplot about Dilbert/Scott Adams which kind of dates things since he's a huge chud.

he actually shows up in the episode, but you would never recognize him (which is actually a joke in and of itself)

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's mostly timeless. I'm not gonna say there are no dated jokes (especially the last show of the 4th season being one giant riff on Titanic) but the physical humor holds up, and one of the best parts of the show is the character relationships, and those are definitely still great.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

swickles posted:

Dilbert absolutely spoke to anyone who ever worked in an office setting, so its not bad/wrong that it was so popular.

The 90s were so loving boring.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dilbet's creator wasnt always a raving lunatic.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I have definitely been thinking about an incredibly old Dilbert all week now that I'm working from home. It was something like "day 1: maybe I don't need the tie. Day 2: Nobody will judge me for sweatpants, camera only shows my shirt. Day 5: holding up a tiny puppet to the webcam, sitting bare rear end naked off to the side" and it makes a lot more sense now

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

END ME SCOOB posted:

I have definitely been thinking about an incredibly old Dilbert all week now that I'm working from home. It was something like "day 1: maybe I don't need the tie. Day 2: Nobody will judge me for sweatpants, camera only shows my shirt. Day 5: holding up a tiny puppet to the webcam, sitting bare rear end naked off to the side" and it makes a lot more sense now

My company sent out a "tips for working remote!" email and it includes the famous "Dress like you're going into the office and maintain your morning routine" and we all laughed because no we're going to wear sweatpants and get up 1 minute before work.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Medullah posted:

My company sent out a "tips for working remote!" email and it includes the famous "Dress like you're going into the office and maintain your morning routine" and we all laughed because no we're going to wear sweatpants and get up 1 minute before work.

Getting dressed in the morning to work from home kind of sucks, but when you finish working and get to change out of your clothes it is awesome.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

tk posted:

Getting dressed in the morning to work from home kind of sucks, but when you finish working and get to change out of your clothes it is awesome.

Corporate is forcing my job to keep everyone in there half the time making wfh a completely feckless action, since I'll still be in contact with everyone during the week.

On the other hand, I'm not even going to take a shower on my wfh days.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

tk posted:

Don't think I'm some sort of savage, I have my bedtime sweatpants, my working sweatpants and my after work sweatpants!

I work from home 3 days a week before this so it's not a new thing. When I first started, I tried to follow that process but it quickly fell apart. As long as I'm productive I'm happy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Medullah posted:

Don't think I'm some sort of savage, I have my bedtime sweatpants, my working sweatpants and my after work sweatpants!

I work from home 3 days a week before this so it's not a new thing. When I first started, I tried to follow that process but it quickly fell apart. As long as I'm productive I'm happy.
This is the proper and healthy way to work from home. There's clear and important delineations between the sweats/casual wear when you're trying and the ones when you've stopped caring. Once you confuse them bad stuff happens to your psyche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Growing up in Mexico, a whole lot of the references in Krusty gets Kancelled were impenetrable. I’m surprised how the show translated a bunch of jokes, wordplay and references but man they could barely keep up