Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://twitter.com/PerryFellow/status/1240669108485660672

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

With apologies to John Campbell--I believe they wanted Pictures for Sad Children essentially wiped from the Internet--but I so love this one, and it's relevant:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

good god, i though my home country of the US was bad with stereotypes in media back in the day :stonk:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Randaconda posted:

good god, i though my home country of the US was bad with stereotypes in media back in the day :stonk:

You mean back in the day of February this year?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:eyepop:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Absurd Alhazred posted:

good god :randpop:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Double the racism!

Hirayuki posted:

With apologies to John Campbell--I believe they wanted Pictures for Sad Children essentially wiped from the Internet--but I so love this one, and it's relevant:

Aw, I forgot about this one. :3:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hirayuki posted:

PFSC was so good

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Len posted:

PFSC was so good

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

wyoming posted:

Double the racism!

Am I missing something here?
Like, is there a racist caricature of a Chinese person hidden in the engraving, or something like that?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

cant cook creole bream posted:

Am I missing something here?

Lovecraft was super racist and wrote At the Mountains of Madness

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Oh yeah sure. Okay.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I somehow can't wrap my mind around this. It's like something out of Borat and somehow the organizers can't understand that the grotesque caricatures might actually be offensive.

"But what about my freedom of speech?!" :qq: says a man while dressing up as a WWII era jewish caricature. "It's all just for fun!"

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Okay this one was kind of fun.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Tintin started out as a reporter for the children's section of Catholic newspaper Le Vingtième Siècle (The 20th Century), so it's no surprise he's a bit of a fascist. The early stories are all him going on assignment abroad to see how hosed up the world outside cozy Belgium is.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Krankenstyle posted:

Tintin started out as a reporter for the children's section of Catholic newspaper Le Vingtième Siècle (The 20th Century), so it's no surprise he's a bit of a fascist. The early stories are all him going on assignment abroad to see how hosed up the world outside cozy Belgium is.

Even if you ignore the racism (and that's a huge if), Tintin in Belgium is a deeply hosed up book. He kills a monkey and then wears it's skin as a disguise to infiltrate a group (herd, tribe?) of monkeys.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I loved Tintin as a kid, and still do. I mean sure you can point out to all kinds of really skeevy things now, but I think it's important to understand that if you point at some writing from time period X you should ask yourself if the whole drat world during time period X was hosed up. It usually was. If it doesn't deviate much from that it's not really that important to focus on what a piece of poo poo herge was or whatever. Because he wasn't.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nurge posted:

I loved Tintin as a kid, and still do. I mean sure you can point out to all kinds of really skeevy things now, but I think it's important to understand that if you point at some writing from time period X you should ask yourself if the whole drat world during time period X was hosed up. It usually was. If it doesn't deviate much from that it's not really that important to focus on what a piece of poo poo herge was or whatever. Because he wasn't.

Don't get me wrong, Tintin is great, I'd buy most of the books for any younger relatives, just not that one.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

Don't get me wrong, Tintin is great, I'd buy most of the books for any younger relatives, just not that one.

Yeah I understand that now. And I do get when I read them as a kid I was just amused by the massive alcoholic captain loving up all the time and the baby detective stuff. The weirder stuff mostly just passed by unnoticed.

e: The moon rocket one was amazing. I think I read that one so many times the pages came off.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nurge posted:

Yeah I understand that now. And I do get when I read them as a kid I was just amused by the massive alcoholic captain loving up all the time and the baby detective stuff. The weirder stuff mostly just passed by unnoticed.

I'm American and grew up with Tintin books and I'm pretty sure Tintin in the Congo just flat out wasn't available for purchase in the US until well after I became an adult.

It should also be noted that Belgium has a unique history with Congo

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Skwirl posted:

I'm American and grew up with Tintin books and I'm pretty sure Tintin in the Congo just flat out wasn't available for purchase in the US until well after I became an adult.

It should also be noted that Belgium has a unique history with Congo

Wintin @hergil posted:

issuing correction on a previous comic of mine, regarding the terror group Belgium. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them".

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Tintin rules and everyone, including Herge, agrees that Tintin in Congo is racist garbage. I find extremely interesting how Herge managed to predict some global events in his comics. Tintin landed on the moon and witnessed a Japanese invasion of China, both several years before they actually happened.

Also, in the earlier albums Tintin is a reporter, but later becomes just a generic explorer/adventurer. Why? Because Belgium was occupied by Nazis and Herge had to be careful while writing so that the Gestapo wouldn't disappear him. If you can get your hands on a companion book it's very fascinating stuff.

Anyways, here's some more Tintin's adventures in H.P. Lovecraft.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Tintin rules and everyone, including Herge, agrees that Tintin in Congo is racist garbage. I find extremely interesting how Herge managed to predict some global events in his comics. Tintin landed on the moon and witnessed a Japanese invasion of China, both several years before they actually happened.

Also, in the earlier albums Tintin is a reporter, but later becomes just a generic explorer/adventurer. Why? Because Belgium was occupied by Nazis and Herge had to be careful while writing so that the Gestapo wouldn't disappear him. If you can get your hands on a companion book it's very fascinating stuff.

Japan had already invaded China years before The Blue Lotus was published.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Japan had already invaded China years before The Blue Lotus was published.

And that was hardly the first time.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

landing on the moon was also an obsession for about as long as people knew it was a big rock in space and i think it's easy to forget that because it got accomplished in grandpa times

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Skwirl posted:

Even if you ignore the racism (and that's a huge if), Tintin in Belgium is a deeply hosed up book. He kills a monkey and then wears it's skin as a disguise to infiltrate a group (herd, tribe?) of monkeys.

Wow, he really let himself go while at Antwerp Zoo!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Screaming Idiot posted:

Wintin @hergil posted:

issuing correction on a previous comic of mine, regarding the terror group Belgium. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them".

:golfclap:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Early Cowboy Henk?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I've also seen and even TOUCHED a cooter

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Zzulu posted:

What did Mrs Davenport say about that

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Zzulu posted:

Lol, you idiot, that's how you get cooties. You're hosed now.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Krankenstyle posted:

Early Cowboy Henk?

Cowboy Henk's been around since the 80's

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Skwirl posted:

A group of monkeys is a troop.

He also kills a rhino by drilling a hole in it's hide and dropping dynamite inside.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

Lord Hypnostache posted:

These are cool.

And regarding Tintin in Congo, and to a degree Tintin in America, they're mostly baffling. But that doesn't taint the raw cartoonic genius of Herge in his later comics. I learned to read when I was four because I found Tintin at my library, and I still enjoy the albums today.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

Early Cowboy Henk?

Pekkos Bill

Zzulu posted:

:guillotine:

(I know that's not the right smiley name but I'll just keep using it until it's fixed to be so.)

e: Well fry me for an oyster!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Zzulu posted:

did it feel like sand? I always imagined it feels like sand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LifeSunDeath posted:

did it feel like sand? I always imagined it feels like sand.

More like peanut brittle.