Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

PierreTheMime posted:

I find it absolutely astounding that Boss Baby and Storks, which i assumed at the time would be terrible, both turned out to be thoroughly entertaining and well executed.

i'll give you storks but boss baby is still pretty :shrug: to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Boss Baby is pretty artistic in parts which I appreciated. I don't see myself watching it again soon but it has some good laughs.

I like a lot about Smallfoot, as noted, (and the lighting is great!) I just wish the style wasn't immediately dated.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Jesus Christ, you people can't be serious about Boss Baby. Just an absolute turd through and through

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I still can't get over The Boss Baby's horrible, horrible face.

I can't watch the movie at all, honestly.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I recently rewatched Ice Age 2 with my son by his request. (his first time)

I liked Ice Age 2 when I first saw it, but watching it now...I don't think it's a very good movie.
It feels like it's just a series of short set pieces interrupted by Scrat.....Or maybe Scrat's journey interrupted by a series of set pieces of other animals. Somehow it's not really coherent I guess.
My son obviously loved it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Ice Age 2 was weird cause the romance with Manny and uh... queen latifa felt so forced. The argument on the teetering rocks was quite good though.

Ice Age 3 is even more unnecessary but the Australian weasel is fun

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Ice Age 2 was weird cause the romance with Manny and uh... queen latifa felt so forced. The argument on the teetering rocks was quite good though.

Ice Age 3 is even more unnecessary but the Australian weasel is fun
Considering the extinction angle they were going for, it feeling forced is probably intentional? The weirdest thing about that to me is how little the movie acknowledges Mannies dead family. Sid refers to it briefly and that's it.

The characters are always fun. In the second movie the Possum Brothers steal the show.

My son will probably want to see the third movie at some point as well. Watching this movie I'm not surprised the Ice Age franchise dried up.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
After a few days, my impression of Frozen 2 is: it's a pretty good album that happens to have a movie attached to it.

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Jesus Christ, you people can't be serious about Boss Baby. Just an absolute turd through and through

Actually... it is good

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 18, 2020

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I’m all for a Hanna-Barbera cinematic universe if they just go off the deep end immediately. Like the mid-credits scene of Scoob is setting up the Hair Bear Bunch meet the Funky Phantom and no one has any idea what is going on.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Ok now I've also watched Smallfoot and I get why Pick loves it, that's probably one of the tightest plotting/themings that I've seen in any recent animated movie. And the music loving rocks.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The music is great (expect for the AWFUL Under Pressure... thing the main character sings), and Let It Lie is very cool both as a song and visually. The first song Perfection is just a good time.

I thought everything else was just kind of okay though. It was a fine movie but that's really it. I wish the yetis had a more interesting look to them.

There was that one character thought that is just awful and annoying for the sake of being annoying and he's not even funny, he's just the most annoying character in the history of the world and Smallfoot creators I gotta be real: Acknowledging how lovely and annoying the character is doesn't make him less annoying!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

dirksteadfast posted:

I’m all for a Hanna-Barbera cinematic universe if they just go off the deep end immediately. Like the mid-credits scene of Scoob is setting up the Hair Bear Bunch meet the Funky Phantom and no one has any idea what is going on.

So... did you watch the Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated series?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Hawkperson posted:

Ok now I've also watched Smallfoot and I get why Pick loves it, that's probably one of the tightest plotting/themings that I've seen in any recent animated movie. And the music loving rocks.

I think it's okay but my 2019/20 Yeti power rankings go

1) Missing Link
2) Abominable
3) Smallfoot

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just watched Smallfoot. I liked the double meanings in "Let it Lie" and "The stones protect us (not just the stones of the robe, but also the complicated series of stone machinery making the steam)"

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Nikaer Drekin posted:

It's a bad movie, but there are some decent slapstick. The chase scene is like technically fun.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Argue posted:

So... did you watch the Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated series?

I did not, but a quick pass through IMDB confirms what I assumed you were getting at. I know enough to know the show was really self-aware. I just want audiences today to experience the weird fever dream that was Cartoon Network’s 2:00 am dumping ground pre-Adult Swim.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/universal-delays-minions-rise-gru-1285396

Minions: The Rise of Gru isn't finished and probably won't be finished this year due to COVID-19 so it'll be delayed.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/universal-delays-minions-rise-gru-1285396

Minions: The Rise of Gru isn't finished and probably won't be finished this year due to COVID-19 so it'll be delayed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56NmxyElmT4

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Covid-19 be like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYfG2FwkVkM

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Onward available for digital purchase TODAY, Disney+ in 2 weeks

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sonic will release digitally on March 30, 2020 and Blu-Ray / 4K (and maybe DVD) on May 19th.

I really, really needed this laugh. Thank you.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Edit: WRONG THREAD

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngtcft8a4r8

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
My takeaway from all marketing materials is that the theme this time is a lot simpler and less universal but still credible and a good fit: that all types of music are good, and that integrating them is also cool and makes good & new kinds of music.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What was the theme of the first one? It's OK to feel sad and sometimes you need outside help (medication) to deal with it right?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Calaveron posted:

What was the theme of the first one? It's OK to feel sad and sometimes you need outside help (medication) to deal with it right?

Hope is not naive or ignorant but essential.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

What I liked is how they almost immediately make sure you see that Branch isn't just being ridiculous or paranoid about the Bergen. They pretty quickly are like "the Bergen are actually quite dangerous, and Poppy is wrong to do this crazy rave party" so Branch pretty early on is seen as reasonable instead of just the crazy conspiracy fun police.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Macaluso posted:

What I liked is how they almost immediately make sure you see that Branch isn't just being ridiculous or paranoid about the Bergen. They pretty quickly are like "the Bergen are actually quite dangerous, and Poppy is wrong to do this crazy rave party" so Branch pretty early on is seen as reasonable instead of just the crazy conspiracy fun police.

I think that's key. I think a lot of people who haven't seen it assume the theme is "Branch is wrong and Poppy is right, party down!" but it's more careful than that; "Branch is completely right that the world is dangerous and that they're all in danger, but Poppy is right that they have to be able to live full lives because the part about danger will never end" so it's more of a compromise than I think some people expect. She does cop to the party etc being a horrible idea and that she was wrong to do it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
there's an animated short that's one of my favorite ever about a little ghost girl who finds some tapdancing shoes, and it's so loving good from an animation standpoint and the way it shifts focus on who's "controlling" the shoes at any given moment, I've gushed about it many times before so I won't again, but it's this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byAfC5yW_hw&hd=1

and the animator is I guess making an indie platformer based on it. like, sure, okay, why not, but also, it's very cute, especially when she uses flippers to fly. :3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcVicFIjCH4&hd=1

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Pick posted:

My takeaway from all marketing materials is that the theme this time is a lot simpler and less universal but still credible and a good fit: that all types of music are good, and that integrating them is also cool and makes good & new kinds of music.

i still think it's a little funny that the villains are rock music at a time when rock music as popular music is essentially dead. the rock trolls are right to fear change, for them, change means Imagine Dragons and 21 Pilots

and that the "new" genre that is given birth to is rap music when rap music is way, way more culturally relevant than rock and also has been around for roughly as long as electronic music, which seems to be one of the six strings of destiny or whatever.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Somehow I got into my head the idea of The Darkness covering "Lost In the Woods" from Frozen 2, and now I can't stop thinking about it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

DC Murderverse posted:

i still think it's a little funny that the villains are rock music at a time when rock music as popular music is essentially dead. the rock trolls are right to fear change, for them, change means Imagine Dragons and 21 Pilots

and that the "new" genre that is given birth to is rap music when rap music is way, way more culturally relevant than rock and also has been around for roughly as long as electronic music, which seems to be one of the six strings of destiny or whatever.

There's a scene that was shown on Ellen that seems to imply that hip hop has been around for a bit but Poppy didn't know cause her map and knowledge was outdated

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It seems like each genre has its own style so the country trolls look like centaurs, the funk trolls are like the giraffe guy from the first one, and glitter trolls may be hiphop. So hip-hop has been around, because Guy Diamond was in the first film. I think Poppy just didn't know about any other communities and didn't realize there was anything outside of pop, which again, probably plays in to the theme.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
BTW I, at least, was really excited for Disney's "The Owl House". The promo artwork was pretty good and the premise was cool, the setting was great. Somehow I missed it on my radar, but I managed to see it got released! Can anyone explain to me why it immediately veered into some incredibly derivative anime tween Hogwarts? What the gently caress? It's like two shows in one, and one is ok, and the other is excruciating.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
probably because Western animated shows have been slowly turning into Anime But Worse for years now and you're just starting to notice

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The woman with white hair is literally based off a character from one of the shows that helped define the harem anime genre. (Ryoko from Tench Muyo for those curious.)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yikes

Anyway, I found it really crushing disappointment because I felt like it had been advertised as something that would be a spiritual successor to gravity falls.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Pick posted:

Yikes

Anyway, I found it really crushing disappointment because I felt like it had been advertised as something that would be a spiritual successor to gravity falls.

yeah it feels like that's what disney wanted it to be too (since they outright have Alex Hirsch as a creative consultant on it)

honestly for me the 1st episode is the weakest: it feels like a cynical 4channer with a hateboner for the show watched a version of the 1st ep that was on par with the later eps and was asked to give a play by play of what happened in the ep

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I watched a few, they're all pretty terrible. Like I can't really think of anything positive to say about it except for the world design. It's really really a bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Pick posted:

I watched a few, they're all pretty terrible. Like I can't really think of anything positive to say about it except for the world design. It's really really a bummer.

yeah it's been pretty weak for me overall but holy hell especially that 1st ep

probably the strongest ep that I've seen is the 4th ep I'd say? none of the other eps have been nearly as good as the 4th ep