Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Hippie Ghost

tears for queers
afk -> you know me
sponsored by Healer LLC

owlhawk911 posted:

and they called us crazy for stockpiling fish drugs. how similar is regular chloroquine? cause i got that

i don't have an exit strat, i have resources and a community that i trust in to get us through this. we're kicking up gardening a notch, isolating/supplying the olds, and getting ready to shine. supply chain collapses? the fish will still run. not enough hospital beds? we never had a hospital. everyone with an oxygen concentrator is filling bottles, the hard part is finding bottles tbh. propane seems like it would be unhealthy but we're refilling argon/helium tanks. me and one of the abalone divers are trying to figure out what a ventilator made of old-timey tethered diving gear would look like. the hard part seems to be the automation but i have a raspberry pi and am shopping for solenoid-actuated valves while that's still an option. the other option is doing it with a cam, but that's mechanically complex and not very adjustable

anyways if i lived in a city i'd be looting and fleeing but i made it back to the woods before any travel bans so don't worry. we will repopulate the earth (to a more responsible extent, maybe 1 billion) and build a better world this time

Do you just live in a really small town? Or like on a commune?

Wherever you live I also want to live cause people here ain't doin that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

If only there was a cure being worked on for the virus.

Oh, wait- they may have found one!

https://nypost.com/2020/03/19/old-malaria-drug-hydroxychloroquine-may-help-cure-coronavirus-study/

And here I kept mine when I was switched to xeljanz on the off chance it would be needed before expiring. Well done, me!

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude
the virus is loving retarded

<3 <3 Vanisher

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

Uxzuigal posted:

go on. insults are the only true cure

wearing a lampshade

Uxzuigal posted:

:dogbutton:

google THIS

Uxzuigal posted:

shots administered

biosterous

please don't use the r-word

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Tipps

party in the front

business in the back
I am sitting quietly in my office, loving around on my phone, doing nothing because I am deemed "essential" despite none of my clients being essential and all of them WFH since Wednesday.

I appreciate and am grateful that I'm still employed and getting paid, which is more than a lot of people who are struggling right now, but I'm still feeling anxious and scared and I'd really like to be at home with my husband right now rather than by myself in a dead office. :smith:

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude

Tipps posted:

I am sitting quietly in my office, loving around on my phone, doing nothing because I am deemed "essential" despite none of my clients being essential and all of them WFH since Wednesday.

I appreciate and am grateful that I'm still employed and getting paid, which is more than a lot of people who are struggling right now, but I'm still feeling anxious and scared and I'd really like to be at home with my husband right now rather than by myself in a dead office. :smith:

<3

<3 <3 Vanisher

Dead Hippie Ghost

tears for queers
afk -> you know me
sponsored by Healer LLC

Tipps posted:

Mood mood mood

I get to work from home, but as I work in politics all of our campaigning operations are basically shut down. So wth do I do? I've just been updating spreadsheets but that can only go on so long

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

The lack of traffic has been nice, I guess

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

Dead Hippie Ghost posted:

Do you just live in a really small town? Or like on a commune?

Wherever you live I also want to live cause people here ain't doin that

i live in the woods, where do you live? "tribe" is probably the best term for it. no one here has a paycheck job anyways so working from home isn't such a big change. the only thing that would cause a problem would be running out of fuel for chainsaws/fishing boats/generators etc, a lot of people have solar for household stuff but it just isn't up to getting work done. i've been spending most of my time working on a garden and repairing crab pots, still kind of in the slash and burn stage but it's still early for planting too. i had one bed and some pots going last year, but i'm expanding bigtime mostly because i'm nervous and having something productive to do helps a lot. might do a greenhouse? we have enough pallets hoarded to build a real house so why not. we don't own the land but the man can eat my rear end we've got people to feed

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

Goons Are Gifts

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

The lack of traffic has been nice, I guess

People have been doing street races all over the city until the police spent the entire afternoon hunting them down :sigh:

google THIS

ABC Mouse and I think some other online educational things are making their programs temporarily free for kids who are out of school so that's nice.

Robot Made of Meat

For some reason I was at work today minding my own business, when this lyric kept popping into my head.

Don't
Touch your face,
Touch your nose,
Touch your mouth or eyes,
But do,
Wash your hands,
Till they bleed,
Till you feel no more.

. . .

It's a virus,
Named Corona,
It can kill you,
With Pneumonia!

I call it, "Sounds like Pandemic."

OK, I'm very sorry.

Copyright 2020 by RMOM, all rights reserved. Do not copy!!

Robot Made of Meat fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 21, 2020

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Slumpy

Goons Are Great posted:

People have been doing street races all over the city until the police spent the entire afternoon hunting them down :sigh:

cops are terrible

slumpy

xcheopis

Having an online "argument" over whether traveling to houses to play d&d is a risk to others or perfectly safe "because we're all fairly healthy". Very annoyed by selfish people.

Areola Grande

today I encountered a woman who believes the virus is a hoax. she happens to be the general manager of a major hotel :staredog:

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

cda

by Hand Knit

Robot Made of Meat posted:

It's a virus,
Named Corona,
It can kill you,
With Pneumonia!

That's interesting bc I read this part to the tune of the chorus of "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots"

owlhawk911

Robot Made of Meat posted:

For some reason I was at work today minding my own business, when this lyric kept popping into my head.

Don't
Touch your face,
Touch your nose,
Touch your mouth or eyes,
But do,
Wash your hands,
Till they bleed,
Till you feel no more.

. . .

It's a virus,
Named Corona,
It can kill you,
With Pneumonia!

OK, I'm very sorry.

Copyright 2020 by RMOM, all rights reserved. Do not copy!!

cda posted:

That's interesting bc I read this part to the tune of the chorus of "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots"

thank you both for your service

Areola Grande

owlhawk911 posted:

thank you both for your service

how do I join your forest crew. I'm genuinely starting to think along those lines of yours :ssh:

xcheopis

prepuce repurposed posted:

today I encountered a woman who believes the virus is a hoax. she happens to be the general manager of a major hotel :staredog:

Lovely.

Goons Are Gifts

how do I join your forest crew. I'm genuinely starting to think along those lines of yours :ssh:

I'm curious, too, how does this work?
I mean seriously I'm a baby boy born and raised in a metropolis, I know trees exist in a theoretical concept but I'm really curious how living in the woods nowadays plays out

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Washington, DC (CNN)The US Food and Drug Administration announced it has approved the use of the first rapid diagnostic test that could detect coronavirus in approximately 45 minutes.

The authorization was made Friday and tests will begin shipping next week, according to a statement from California-based Cepheid, the company manufacturing the tests.
"During this time of increased demand for hospital services, Clinicians urgently need an on-demand diagnostic test for real-time management of patients being evaluated for admission to health-care facilities," said Dr. David Persing, MD, Ph.D., chief medical and technology officer at Cepheid.
"An accurate test delivered close to the patient can be transformative -- and help alleviate the pressure that the emergence of the 2019-nCoV outbreak has put on healthcare facilities that need to properly allocate their respiratory isolation resources," Persing added.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/21/politics/fda-coronavirus-test/index.html?fbclid=IwAR2fQb7QeT-TrHo8fBRX8WWPiqLT_lfFAKzKcE43csvL0L4I5ktXB3rxpAE

It currently takes 3 days to get a result and it has to be sent to a lab. This testing could be done in a parking lot at the patient and have them sent right to quarantine, versus waiting 3 days while you're contagious walking around infecting people.

Game changer.

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

owlhawk911

Goons Are Great posted:

I'm curious, too, how does this work?
I mean seriously I'm a baby boy born and raised in a metropolis, I know trees exist in a theoretical concept but I'm really curious how living in the woods nowadays plays out

i wish i knew guys, but i'm just a baby boy born and raised in the woods. i'm clueless about fundamental parts of your world too, like having a boss that sets your schedule and rent/bills to pay. to live in the woods you got to show up in some woods and then stay alive there. these woods are an island paradise with survivable temperatures year round, lots of things you can eat, and a frickin massive salmon run every year. the "how" here mostly focuses around that salmon run. whatever level of tech you come at it with, living here is going to be centered around catching and storing fishies. fish traps are illegal now, but traditionally a big ol fish trap/smoker that the whole crew works on was the way to go. you pretty much jam a bunch of sticks in a river facing upstream, the fishies can swim over them but can't get back out. you chase em back down towards the sticks then you throw em up on shore and someone whops off their head, scoops out their guts, and spreads em out to dry a little before they go in the smoker. once they're smoked they last for ages

nowdays lots of people just catch them. you can fish from a boat and catch a lot more/during a longer part of the year, you can fish with a pole from shore, you can use a spear in the river. if you have a big enough boat you can seine or gillnet. you can gillnet from shore and use it like a fish trap if you dgaf. you can vacuum seal, can, or freeze the fishies if you don't like them smoked. i guess the short answer to "how do you live in the woods" is "harvest and preserve natures bounty". lots of drying mushrooms, turning berries into jam, drying wood, canning beach stuff, gardening, etc. lot of scavenging and repair too, since buying/shipping something is such a pain and the dump being a place you see get worse every year keeps you from throwing poo poo away so easy. like there's no recycling but the aluminum cans/plastic bottles are in separate piles in case someone wants to use the bottles for something or melt the cans down (furnace is out of commission that's another summer project i was gonna do but i'm switching gears to the ventilator thing and a still) and every broken tool/machine/vehicle just sits around in case someone needs parts/wants to try fixing it

weed cat

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:

owlhawk911 posted:

i wish i knew guys, but i'm just a baby boy born and raised in the woods. i'm clueless about fundamental parts of your world too, like having a boss that sets your schedule and rent/bills to pay. to live in the woods you got to show up in some woods and then stay alive there. these woods are an island paradise with survivable temperatures year round, lots of things you can eat, and a frickin massive salmon run every year. the "how" here mostly focuses around that salmon run. whatever level of tech you come at it with, living here is going to be centered around catching and storing fishies. fish traps are illegal now, but traditionally a big ol fish trap/smoker that the whole crew works on was the way to go. you pretty much jam a bunch of sticks in a river facing upstream, the fishies can swim over them but can't get back out. you chase em back down towards the sticks then you throw em up on shore and someone whops off their head, scoops out their guts, and spreads em out to dry a little before they go in the smoker. once they're smoked they last for ages

nowdays lots of people just catch them. you can fish from a boat and catch a lot more/during a longer part of the year, you can fish with a pole from shore, you can use a spear in the river. if you have a big enough boat you can seine or gillnet. you can gillnet from shore and use it like a fish trap if you dgaf. you can vacuum seal, can, or freeze the fishies if you don't like them smoked. i guess the short answer to "how do you live in the woods" is "harvest and preserve natures bounty". lots of drying mushrooms, turning berries into jam, drying wood, canning beach stuff, gardening, etc. lot of scavenging and repair too, since buying/shipping something is such a pain and the dump being a place you see get worse every year keeps you from throwing poo poo away so easy. like there's no recycling but the aluminum cans/plastic bottles are in separate piles in case someone wants to use the bottles for something or melt the cans down (furnace is out of commission that's another summer project i was gonna do but i'm switching gears to the ventilator thing and a still) and every broken tool/machine/vehicle just sits around in case someone needs parts/wants to try fixing it

how do you post?

Macnult

Slumpy posted:

cops are terrible

facts

Macnult

i’m young and healthy and i feel like cabin fever is more dangerous to me than coronavirus is

Dead Hippie Ghost

tears for queers
afk -> you know me
sponsored by Healer LLC

owlhawk911 posted:

i live in the woods, where do you live? "tribe" is probably the best term for it. no one here has a paycheck job anyways so working from home isn't such a big change. the only thing that would cause a problem would be running out of fuel for chainsaws/fishing boats/generators etc, a lot of people have solar for household stuff but it just isn't up to getting work done. i've been spending most of my time working on a garden and repairing crab pots, still kind of in the slash and burn stage but it's still early for planting too. i had one bed and some pots going last year, but i'm expanding bigtime mostly because i'm nervous and having something productive to do helps a lot. might do a greenhouse? we have enough pallets hoarded to build a real house so why not. we don't own the land but the man can eat my rear end we've got people to feed

That's really interesting, and sounds like a very cool way to live. I've never really felt connected to my community, and I have never liked being so removed from nature. Whatever you got going sounds amazing.

Areola Grande

Macnult posted:

i’m young and healthy and i feel like cabin fever is more dangerous to me than coronavirus is

I've been more or less self isolating for years. It's not so bad if you have a dog :shrug: :dogcited:

Areola Grande fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 22, 2020

Macnult

i've become more social and outgoing over the past 5 years or so and i miss people plus i own a cat and not a dog so i cannot relate

Macnult

i am frustrated!

Areola Grande

Macnult posted:

i am frustrated!

buy animal crossing and some we'd is my best advice friend

Areola Grande

I can't help but wonder how ButtTheShitmanFart is faring rn :ohdear:

Macnult

animal crossing would be cooler and gooder if it didn't come off as a working class simulator during a time where one of my jobs was brought to a complete halt until further notice, and the other has cut my hours tremendously.

Macnult

sorry for losing my chill. i appreciate your advice, prepuce repurposed

i just hope butttheshitmanfart is okay

Goons Are Gifts

owlhawk911 posted:

I'm really fascinated by that. I mean it does make sense when you say that you just always did stuff this way, but it seems so uncommon given we live in times when we boring rear end boys in dense urban areas that are used to ride trains with 2000 strangers next to us twice a day go to the next fast food chain to nourish ourselves.
I mean i have seen videos of people doing amazing stuff like what you do, but hearing it from you is really inspiring me

Goons Are Gifts

Friendly reminder that during these times, you can do stuff to help out and make it get better faster. If biologically and socially possible, your time allows it and you have the will to help, you may:
1) Donate blood (your national red cross is the go-to place if you are uncertain how to do that, they are beautiful)
2) Do a minor logistics or carry stuff around job at your local stores that are in high demand
3) Do phone or administration jobs for your government, appropriate nonprofit organization or other private organizations currently involved in handling stuff
4) Do volunteer job for whatever hours at local food banks, nursing homes or hospitals (outside of patient care, if you're not a trained medical person)
5) Search for alternative ways for your area to both spend your time in a very useful manner and help those in need right now

I wanted to get rid of my sudden free time while the universities are all closed and everything I do is interrupted, so I answered the call of the military that's re-enlisting reservists for a limited time on a volunteer basis in case they will get deployed in some way (also an option if that applies to you, depending on your country, state and situation) and figured my administration is hiring people to do back office work to sort stuff and avoid chaos, so I'll do that until (if ever) I get the call from an officer.

Crazy times mean you can help people in crazy ways! If you're bored and if you can, do it!

Areola Grande

Understandable.

These are trying times, but I believe byob by its very nature is a pillar of strength for those of us lucky enough to know it exists.

BYOB: Together alone together :hai: :glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoner Sloth

Macnult posted:

sorry for losing my chill. i appreciate your advice, prepuce repurposed

i just hope butttheshitmanfart is okay

no worries friend, and don't worry - you can always post with us in the chill forum if you're feeling the need to chat (or hello or welcome or even lurkers must post)!!

and I think we're all hoping BTSMF is staying safe, but i have faith that he is and will post in BYOB

(and seriously please stay safe all of you, you are good posting pals and I care about you all)

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!