Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Well, you beautiful bastards, I did it: Horror Bracketology thread is happening. Vote now to get seeding and subscribe to vote on future events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Shrecknet posted:

Well, you beautiful bastards, I did it: Horror Bracketology thread is happening. Vote now to get seeding and subscribe to vote on future events.

You're the beautiful bastard! Great job.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
Watching Bliss on Shudder finally and I absolutely love it.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

My Twitter Account posted:

Any spook-a-doodle parents want to share tips on raising my offspring to love horror?
I've got a preschooler and ever since she was born she's enjoyed toys and decorations with a "spooky" aesthetic (skeletons, etc.). We watched the recent animated Addams Family movie a couple of months ago and she loves it, and I've shown her a couple of episodes of the b&w TV series too. I want to show her older stuff initially, things that aren't reliant on blood/gore obviously, but that would still be fun to watch without being too terrifying -- I'm thinking specifically of the 1931 Dracula (and/or other old Universals) or one of the Shōwa Godzillas. Suggestions?

As a kid, my mom would actually tell me the plots of old horror movies or Stephen King novels as bedtime stories. I never actually saw them until I was much older, but I could describe The Blob or Bucket of Blood or Little Shop of Horrors by the time I was 6. Plus, I was an artsy kid so all these stories made their way into my doodle pads.

With newer stuff, the 80's musical version of LSoH might be spooky but also fun. For animated stuff, I'm sure you've shown her Nightmare Before Christmas, but Para-Norman was also a lot of fun. If you can find Disney's The Black Cauldron, that's got some intense moments with the Horned King. Same with The Secret of NIHM.

This is probably the paternal/educator instinct in me, but whatever you pick, it's a cool opportunity to talk about, "Why do you think this is scary or not?" or "Why do you think other people find this scary?" and also "Want to find out how they made those effects?" More than anything, in my family, watching sci-fi or horror was always a conversation starter.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

thatfuturekid posted:

Watching Bliss on Shudder finally and I absolutely love it.

It owns a lot

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Any spook-a-doodle parents want to share tips on raising my offspring to love horror?
I've got a preschooler and ever since she was born she's enjoyed toys and decorations with a "spooky" aesthetic (skeletons, etc.). We watched the recent animated Addams Family movie a couple of months ago and she loves it, and I've shown her a couple of episodes of the b&w TV series too. I want to show her older stuff initially, things that aren't reliant on blood/gore obviously, but that would still be fun to watch without being too terrifying -- I'm thinking specifically of the 1931 Dracula (and/or other old Universals) or one of the Shōwa Godzillas. Suggestions?

Do they still make those orange monster books

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Hahaha google wants to rent me the Invisible Man for $20.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
More like the Invisible Rental.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
The Platform is legit.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

a new study bible! posted:

The Hunt is an astoundingly lovely movie
I just finished it and yeah lol

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I just saw the invisible Man and it's deffo not worth twenty bucks. Very mediocre.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s very good

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Rageaholic posted:

I just finished it and yeah lol

It's a shame BC the first 25 mins are really entertaining and funny, but once the movie leaves the gas station its miserable.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

COOL CORN posted:

I just saw the invisible Man and it's deffo not worth twenty bucks. Very mediocre.

Not worth $20, but it's a fun watch. Its got a great premise, but it doesn't do that much with it.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I'm not renting any movie for $20. I'll occasionally pay those prices for an IMAX ticket, but not for the privilege of watching a movie once on my own home theater.

That said, The Invisible Man is awesome and everyone should watch it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lol if you think you’re going back to the theater any time soon

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

AMCs are closed for 6-12 weeks and that might be being optimistic.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alternative: lol if you think people will have money to see movies

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm surprised so many people liked the invisible Man. It did have a clever premise but the pacing was weird and it seemed to end just as it was gaining momentum. :shrug:

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I remembered people here quite hating Girl On the Third Floor, but now I have a friend absolutely overflowing with praise for it. Am I mixing up movies?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

a new study bible! posted:

The Hunt is an astoundingly lovely movie

And it's a drat shame because all of the actors are trying their hardest to make the terrible script work. Not a single one of them phoned it in, but the writing is just that bad. Betty Gilpin especially put in a performance that deserves to be in a better movie.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

CelticPredator posted:

Lol if you think you’re going back to the theater any time soon

Believe me, that's not what I'm getting at here.

But I subscribe to Shudder and a couple other streaming services, so even in quarantine $20 for one movie feels steep. I need that money to pay scalper prices for toilet paper.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Sarchasm posted:

Believe me, that's not what I'm getting at here.

But I subscribe to Shudder and a couple other streaming services, so even in quarantine $20 for one movie feels steep. I need that money to pay scalper prices for buy a knife and scalp people that price gouge toilet paper.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Look I hate Asylum and their "lol we're trying to be terrible" movies but SNAKE OUTTA COMPTON is loving inspired as a title

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

And it's a drat shame because all of the actors are trying their hardest to make the terrible script work. Not a single one of them phoned it in, but the writing is just that bad. Betty Gilpin especially put in a performance that deserves to be in a better movie.

Totally agree. It also has the air of a movie that thinks it's much, much smarter than it is. I really hate that. It's got a great cast that are definitely doing their best but are let down by frankly insane plotting. How do you put Macon Blair in this and not give him much of anything to do??

e: Oh, Damon Lindelof wrote this. That explains a lot.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 21, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
If you've got extra cash and like owning physical copies, Vinegar Syndrome is having a pre-quarantine sale to help keep the lights on. An additional 15% off everything but the April pre-orders. Looks like everything in the US qualifies for free shipping, and to expedite it they're not combining orders.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
The tension crafted in The Invisible Man was so good because a scene with no music and nothing happening in an empty kitchen shouldn't be that anxiety-inducing. The jump scares were earned and almost a relief. It sucks that the logistics of the plot fall apart thinking about it though. I was half expecting the man to be able to teleport or some poo poo, how did he make it back to his house at almost the same time as Cecilia? He catch an Uber too?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

He had a car.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There was also his brother.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Not strictly horror but Mark Hartley's doc about Cannon Films, Electric Boogaloo, is online for free. It's excellent!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Shneak posted:

The tension crafted in The Invisible Man was so good because a scene with no music and nothing happening in an empty kitchen shouldn't be that anxiety-inducing. The jump scares were earned and almost a relief. It sucks that the logistics of the plot fall apart thinking about it though. I was half expecting the man to be able to teleport or some poo poo, how did he make it back to his house at almost the same time as Cecilia? He catch an Uber too?

A lot of it doesn't make sense, he leaves no footprints, makes no sound, he's apparently a ninja that sneaks through doors only when others open them for him, no one can smell him, he apparently never had to piss/poo poo/eat in the suit. Fun though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Got aound to watching VFW, this movie slaps. drat. Really fantastic 9thing what others say its like Hobo with a Shotgun and Assault on Precinct 13 had a baby. drat good.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Shneak posted:

It sucks that the logistics of the plot fall apart thinking about it though.
Where did the knife that he kills Cecelia's sister with come from? It literally just appears. Did he somehow conceal it inside the suit without accidentally gutting himself, or did it just float unnoticed through the restaurant until it got to their table?

Why does it take her forever to grab one of the many dead hospital guards' many guns, and why doesn't she shoot Adrian while he's taunting the one guard, even though she can see he has his back to her?

I'm sure there's more, too. Ugh, this movie sucked.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Actually none of that matters and it's very good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Where did the knife that he kills Cecelia's sister with come from? It literally just appears. Did he somehow conceal it inside the suit without accidentally gutting himself, or did it just float unnoticed through the restaurant until it got to their table?

Why does it take her forever to grab one of the many dead hospital guards' many guns, and why doesn't she shoot Adrian while he's taunting the one guard, even though she can see he has his back to her?

I'm sure there's more, too. Ugh, this movie sucked.

sigher posted:

A lot of it doesn't make sense, he leaves no footprints, makes no sound, he's apparently a ninja that sneaks through doors only when others open them for him, no one can smell him, he apparently never had to piss/poo poo/eat in the suit. Fun though.

Found the cinema sins joint account

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Got around to watching The Platform last night on Netflix and I really enjoyed it.

Usually the capital "N" is a stamp of mediocrity, but this movie worked against that grain. It's a little bit of Cube, The Lighthouse, and Parasite all in a Spanish setting and all the food looks gorgeous until it really doesn't.

Barely any tropes and sporting a good, crisp runtime, you basically have an extended Twilight Zone episode that has some hard biting social commentary and excellent gore.

Movie good.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

what is the capital n

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Kvlt! posted:

what is the capital n

Netflix Original

Which, in a lot of cases, just means that Netflix picked it up for distribution in a particular market. I think Annihilation is a Netflix Original in some parts of the world.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Got around to watching The Platform last night on Netflix and I really enjoyed it.

Usually the capital "N" is a stamp of mediocrity, but this movie worked against that grain. It's a little bit of Cube, The Lighthouse, and Parasite all in a Spanish setting and all the food looks gorgeous until it really doesn't.

Barely any tropes and sporting a good, crisp runtime, you basically have an extended Twilight Zone episode that has some hard biting social commentary and excellent gore.

Movie good.

Platform: it works on many levels and really elevates the genre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Actually none of that matters and it's very good.

Let's not get carried away, it's mildly passable. Are we all that desperate for good spook-a-doodles?

Hey here's one more, she loving cuts her wrist open in the shower and then doesn't wrap it and just stops bleeding altogether and is fine in the next scene.