Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

that story was pure and good. thank you for giving the dog water. some people suck, and there's really nothing you can do about it other than not suck so thanks for doing that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Most amazing thing in that story was the police response time. I don't think I've ever seen a cop in 5-10 minutes from a non emergency line call

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Depends on the neighborhood? Where I grew up even a 911 call would take more than 30 minutes but if you drove ten minutes south you'd be in gentrified land where I've had the cops called on me for loitering (car broke down) and they showed up fast.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

I've been in situations where half a dozen police show up in 5 minutes for a non-violent trespasser, but don't show up at the same location for two hours after an aggressive patron assaults someone

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Depends on the neighborhood? Where I grew up even a 911 call would take more than 30 minutes but if you drove ten minutes south you'd be in gentrified land where I've had the cops called on me for loitering (car broke down) and they showed up fast.

Yeah, I guess thats true. Theres a particular branch where the PD will flat out not show up at all. I'm not saying they show up late, no one shows up at all. Granted, its in a not so great town. Rumor is that it was because of a city budgeting/funding issue where DECISIONS had to be made about who got money and the library got funds that the police thought they deserved instead. So now they just don't show up.

Speaking of cops, there was an incident a couple months ago at a branch that was right next to a middle school. This branch gets flooded with students after school gets out. On this particular day, word had gotten around that two girls were gonna fight after school. The two girls proceed to enter and leave the front entrance repeatedly, followed by a mob (imagine something like 75+ kids) running after them screaming with their phones out, pushing other library patrons out of the way. This happens for half an hour while the staff tries to get them under control and are calling 911 for help. Of course 1(!!!) cop shows up after all the kids leave and is just so god drat disdainful about having to be bothered answering a call coming from the library.

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 30, 2019

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Hey, it's been a long time since I posted a story! Was just reminded of an incident thanks to the r/relationships thread, of all places. We'll call it

A Tale of Two Bitches

I live in a very hot city which is also filled with unconsiderate assholes, each summer we get 3-4 stories of dead dogs in cars, and almost every time it's "I left it there for five minutes and I came right back, I don't know how it happened!". People just doesn't know how easy is for a dog to dehydrate/get heat stroke when left under the summer sun with no water :argh:

So I'll just say: you are awesome and you probably saved that doggy's life :kimchi:

Shellception fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Dec 30, 2019

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I had the cops show up on late shift the other day when a patron told us his wardrobe locker had been broken into and we remembered too late that it was probably just emptied by the janitor in the morning. Remembering the etiquette, I let them have some of my gingerbread that I'm not allowed to keep at the reception desk. I think we've got a good professional relationship.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Oh, yeah, bear in mind that we actually shared a parking lot with the PD (and FD was just across the street), so that's definitely a factor. Probably was some officer hanging at the station who was bored and likes doggies and said "eh, I'll go check it out". We were lucky to have a fantastic response time with emergency services, whether it was some random homeless nutbar or a patron having a seizure.

Jiru posted:

So I'll just say: you are awesome and you probably saved that doggy's life :kimchi:

Thank you! :kimchi: The reason I added the bit about me dumping out my dinner and using my own tupperware was that I mentioned that in giving my detailed side of the story to the librarian-in-charge, and that detail didn't get lost when the story spread around the library staff. Staff kept bringing that up like I was some kind of special hero, sharing my personal kitchenware with a strange dog. Well, what else was I supposed to do?! A dog was potentially dying! My loving pasta salad can go somewhere else! Yeeesh.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

My library system got hit with a ransomware attack while I was off work this past week.
https://ccclib.org/news/library-services-impacted-by-cyber-security-attack/

Going to work today is gonna suck.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Long time followers of this thread may recall my story about SNAKES ALIVE (and some of you saw his traveling presentation when you were kiddos, which was so cool for me to read about!).

I just recovered an old hard drive and found some pics! Here's Penelope the Python in all her glory. This particular year I ended up holding the tail ---- borrrring. That's me all the way on the left with the red hair. You can see the women in the middle leaning back a bit and holding her by the crooks of the elbows because Penelope was chonk heavy. Absolute unit.

Yep, just another Wednesday morning at your local public library!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So the library I used to work at until last year, and where I still have a friend working there, completed a major renovation of their outdoor space this weekend. In a rare good idea from that library management, in my book, they turned the space into a walled reading garden with a small fountain. The reading garden was opened to the public on Monday.

According to my friend, last night they had a mentally ill guy strip naked in front of children and try to take a bath in the fountain, slip on the fountain's bottom, and have to be resuscitated by paramedics - the guy would have straight up drowned if a patron hadn't grabbed him and pulled him out of the water.

Sigh. Patrons can ruin anything.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Just a lurker, not a worker. That being said:

Cythereal posted:

So the library I used to work at until last year, and where I still have a friend working there, completed a major renovation of their outdoor space this weekend. In a rare good idea from that library management, in my book, they turned the space into a walled reading garden with a small fountain. The reading garden was opened to the public on Monday.

According to my friend, last night they had a mentally ill guy strip naked in front of children and try to take a bath in the fountain, slip on the fountain's bottom, and have to be resuscitated by paramedics - the guy would have straight up drowned if a patron hadn't grabbed him and pulled him out of the water.

Sigh. Patrons can ruin anything.

New thread title right here.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Buried alive posted:

Just a lurker, not a worker. That being said:

New thread title right here.

As OP, I approve of this message.

We had a fountain in the courtyard between our building and city hall. We all called it the Toddler Shower because not only did kids want to splash in it, but you could see that parents were deliberately encouraging them to do so. Despite it being an unfiltered, slip-and-crack-your-head-open concrete block affair, full of bird poop and some parents letting their diapered kids wade in it, probably making it a giant E. coli petri dish.

At the least the homeless folks just fished out the pennies.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

JacquelineDempsey posted:

As OP, I approve of this message.

We had a fountain in the courtyard between our building and city hall. We all called it the Toddler Shower because not only did kids want to splash in it, but you could see that parents were deliberately encouraging them to do so. Despite it being an unfiltered, slip-and-crack-your-head-open concrete block affair, full of bird poop and some parents letting their diapered kids wade in it, probably making it a giant E. coli petri dish.

At the least the homeless folks just fished out the pennies.

and we liked it that way!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
How many pennies did you get?

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
How's everyone's library handling the coronavirus? I've been working from home for a week (academic library), but my sister is still working at the circulation desk at her public library. They've closed the stacks, they're sanitizing everything in sight, doing only curbside delivery, yet somehow the county has decided to keep the computer lab open if you call in advance, much to the protests of pretty much every librarian and manager there. Just close the drat library.

Speaking of which:

quote:

In Chicago, bars and restaurants are closed for business. Schools are shut down.

But the city’s library system of about 80 branches is still open, even as librarians are calling in sick in protest and pleading with city officials to close as the novel coronavirus spreads in Chicago and throughout the country. An online petition demanding that libraries close had more than 4,300 signatures by Tuesday morning...

At the Harold Washington library, “there are a lot of people here now, certainly more than 10 at a time,” the employee said. “There are people coughing, touching books. There are so many germs circulating in the air.”

He said public computers do not get wiped down between uses and books are being passed from one patron to another throughout the day. “Last time I spoke with my boss about it, she said, ‘If you feel uncomfortable, feel free to wear gloves.’ But I don’t know if it’s enough.”...

Library workers put signs in windows asking patrons not to enter if they feel sick. Employees were told not to bring in extra chairs if the seats are all occupied and to stop circulating laptops. While regular library hours and services continued, all programs, events and meetings were canceled.

In another email to library workers, Telli said the buildings would remain a “safe and welcoming space” for patrons of all ages to study, read, write, check out books, and use electronic databases and Wifi. “We will create displays or develop other ways to show the incredible resource that CPL is in our communities,” Telli wrote in the email.

She welcomed staff to bring their children to work unless they are sick.

At a South Side branch, employees removed half the computers and furniture and all children’s toys, but keyboards were not being cleaned between uses even as the custodial staff was working eight hours a day instead of four.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Local libraries in my county and all the counties I've worked at in the past have closed for at least two weeks. The library at the college I'm working at has put everyone who can work from home on that, and has one person manning the circulation desk at reduced hours.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

We went from putting additional desks in front of circulation to create distance to closing to working from home for half the staff on alternating days and just now to working from home entirely. Exponentially quicker between individual measures, I might add. I have no idea what I'm gonna do, frankly. I have one week to go until I'm on holiday and I was thinking about skipping holiday because at least work would have been an excuse to leave the house during a probably impending lockdown, and it's not like I'm gonna go on my planned trip, now I'm thinking about starting it a week early.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Our libraries are closed for the time being, but are offering curbside pick up for reserved materials starting Monday, so long as you phone ahead.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Those of you doing curbside service, how are you handling it with the need for keeping distance and other recommended prevention measures?

My library wanted to offer it but staff rightly said that if it couldn't be done safely they weren't going to do it.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I'm out of the business, thankfully, but my current job has something similar. You have your curb person wear mask and gloves, client pulls up, shows their ID inside their car, pops their trunk, staff put their stuff inside, close trunk, end of transaction with minimal risk of infection.

The trick is you have to do all your inventory and checkout ahead of time, and if the client refuses to cooperate, then you're worse off than you were when they were your plain vanilla kind of shithead. Instead of demanding to see your manager, they'll absolutely try and slap your mask off for not letting them commit theft because they didn't arrange anything ahead of time.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Our local library is closed so I guess I just own all of these books on William Blake now.

(I'll get them returned at some point I promise, this is just such bad timing as I checked out 8-9 books on the guy with intent to browse/skim them at home and return, but now it's like, welp)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Worse people to become an expert on!

The irony here is we were going to implement a whole self checkout system this summer. Could have kept things running almost as normal.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Coheed and Camembert posted:

How's everyone's library handling the coronavirus?

My local library posted:

All Multnomah County libraries are closed until further notice due to COVID-19. Do not return materials. You will not be charged.

I don't even have anything checked out. Tend to go for digital loans more often anyway. They say they are not able to mail books "right now", which implies that they're probably trying to get that set up to restore usage without having to bring a lot of people into the same space.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

My local authority refuses to close the libraries and I'm real mad about it. Locally I've tried to mark out 2m gaps between every seat, every service point, and every computer. I've sent home everyone with any sort of health condition. Still they just shut smaller libraries to free up staff to keep mine open and it's such a bad idea.

We've closed off circulation now and are only open for digital access, information and enquiries. All loans have been extended until mid summer and we have a fine amnesty. The goal now is just to keep trying to prove that we cannot do this safely until someone listens.

We do not have enough gloves, no masks, almost out of sanitizer and alcohol wipes. The old folk keep coming through the doors. The thought that we're going to kill somebody before I can get us shut down is keeping me awake every night.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

We've been closed since Sunday. I got grilled by some lady that asked if we were wiping down all the books. This is when we were wiping down basically every touched surface every hour on the hour. We barely had enough cleaning supplies to do that, no way we could sanitize every item that came through.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
My local county library system is doing curbside pick-up for reserved materials, and has doubled their budget for Hoopla / OverDrive borrowing for at least the next month. But the actual buildings are closed.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Our local library is closed so I guess I just own all of these books on William Blake now.

(I'll get them returned at some point I promise, this is just such bad timing as I checked out 8-9 books on the guy with intent to browse/skim them at home and return, but now it's like, welp)

At least here at the library I work at, we’re stopping late fees from accruing during this time.

We’re also going into work (yay being essential) and filming a bunch of storytime/book review/etc. content that our Communications Department doesn’t want us to post!

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

My library has been closed to the public since mid-March and our community assistance has been largely reactive instead of proactive. Staff's been cleaning and shifting and long-time-project-ing though.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
My new place is going to have a 400ft walk to the library. Hell yeah! Not going to have easy access to my favorite thrift store for cheap books anymore, $0.25-$3 a book, so I suspect I'll be visiting that library pretty often.

Shame about that whole virus thing.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

MisterOblivious posted:

My new place is going to have a 400ft walk to the library. Hell yeah! Not going to have easy access to my favorite thrift store for cheap books anymore, $0.25-$3 a book, so I suspect I'll be visiting that library pretty often.

Shame about that whole virus thing.

Don't worry, there will be fewer people trying to take out the books you want, too

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm on holiday until Easter and I hope by then my bosses will have figured something out to let us come back to work at least for some of the time. I can see the work from home deal kinda working for the cataloguing department, but for us circulation/reference people who are sitting at the desk waiting for people to come by for fully half the week it's hardly ideal.

I'd be happy to retrieve books for folks and hand them over at the entrance, for example. Seems like that could be done safely. We even have plenty of room for people to queue in the building outside the library.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

ante posted:

Don't worry, there will be fewer people trying to take out the books you want, too

Because people will be irrationally afraid of close contact, touching used books, after this is all over, right?

:(

On the note of patrons being scythed down, what's the age distribution like at a public library? I've loved them since I was a child, but I loved the books and didn't pay attention to the people. Now, I get things on hold and am in and out too quickly for people-watching.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vavrek posted:

On the note of patrons being scythed down, what's the age distribution like at a public library? I've loved them since I was a child, but I loved the books and didn't pay attention to the people. Now, I get things on hold and am in and out too quickly for people-watching.

Depends immensely on the local area. Of the public libraries I've worked at:

Library 1: Downtown area in a not well off town/small city. Primarily elderly, significant number of adult-but-not-elderly homeless. People under 30 were rare.

Library 2: Downtown area in a very wealthy town/small city. Heavy mix of elderly and families with young children. Some homeless, but they got chased off by police.

Library 3: Extremely poor, rural, Hispanic community. Overwhelmingly teenagers and younger, coming to play video games at the library and do homework until their parents get home from the plantations farms. Small but consistent number of adults getting movies for the family and practical books about how to do household repairs and whatnot.

Library 4: Wealthy suburban area. Mostly children, teens, and parents thereof. People over 40 were rare.

The first two have lots to fear from corona, the latter two not so much.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Out of curiosity, is anyone doing online online storytime casts out of their libraries?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Out of curiosity, is anyone doing online online storytime casts out of their libraries?

We’re trying but the Communications Department is having conniptions about it. We’ve got hours of recorded video just sitting, and they won’t bend at all on anything. We managed all the rights, etc. with what publishers we can use and everything but they HAVE to have it branded appropriately and go through their specific (slow) channels.

I tried to borrow a tripod a 2 weeks ago and was told it would go in the queue for them to review.

They were all on Facebook and nobody else was in the queue.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Not a librarian but my friend is doing half-hour online storytime MWF on her library's Facebook page. I don't even have kids but I've been tuning in, it's a nice chill break.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

A former system of mine is doing weekday mornings and evenings that are full on story times with music and finger plays with the books. And all branches are taking turns.

Whereas our system is literally just reading a book at a camera. And only one very small chosen group gets to do it while the rest of the children's staff gets pissed at being excluded. Oh it's going to be fun when we get back.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

We're making plans to reopen, and they involve handing materials over to folks at the entrance, which is good, but they also involve cleaning and disinfecting every item that goes over the counter, which as far as I can tell after checking some high profile official sources in my country has no impact at all. At best it's purely cosmetic, at worst it will actively keep us from remembering and doing more useful stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

How are you expected to do that? Like, how do you disinfect all the pages in a book or all the discs in AV items. Or is it just rubbing the outside of an item with cleaner? Seems like it would just be more effective to set aside returned items for a few days so they can't be checked out until the virus dies off on the items