Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Yeah, I wonder if they got a word from insurers and the legal dept. about culpability if something goes wrong or something similar. I don't think the WRU had any good choices in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Vaders Jester posted:

Yeah, I wonder if they got a word from insurers and the legal dept.

It seems like all rugby in Wales has been suspended, as our insurance won't be valid unless every match has an WRU-qualified referee.

Scottish fans are, of course, protesting the decision by challenging "the entirety of Wales" to a rugby match on St Mary's street, tomorrow at 2:15pm.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

10,000 Scottish fans in Cardiff with nothing to do to blow off steam, its gonna be carnage

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Good job there's barely any pubs in Cardiff

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

oh no computer posted:

Good job there's barely any pubs in Cardiff

Yes that is where the carnage is going to happen well done

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Anyone entering NZ, bar the Pacific Islands, must go into self-isolation for 14 days. This includes NZers and permanent residents. Dunno what this does to the Super Rugby season, but it’s probably hosed.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Defo hosed.

Cricketers are flying back ASAP before being locked out.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
All sport is hosed for the foreseeable.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
We've just been told that our WRU player insurance has been completely frozen until April 1st, and told not to perform any contact training.

Rugby clubs are declaring that their pitches are not to be used for any sort of activity until April 1st, as they have also had their accident insurance suspended by the WRU.

If anybody wants to join a new Illegal Underground Street Rugby team, we'll be training under Port Talbot bypass every tuesday at midnight.

Tyma fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 14, 2020

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

This is the day playing all that Speedball 2 in my youth has prepared me for.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Tyma posted:

We've just been told that our WRU player insurance has been completely frozen until April 1st, and told not to perform any contact training.

Rugby clubs are declaring that their pitches are not to be used for any sort of activity until April 1st, as they have also had their accident insurance suspended by the WRU.

If anybody wants to join a new Illegal Underground Street Rugby team, we'll be training under Port Talbot bypass every tuesday at midnight.

This seems like a really good way to get sued, but that's a risk people should take to continue to play rugby.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Meanwhile, BBC dropping some harsh facts.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

Meanwhile, BBC dropping some harsh facts.

Saracens you say?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/TelegraphRugby/status/1241489214849593344

Stay the gently caress home folks.

Edit: Obvs, I'm sure all goons here are being smart about staying safe. See you on the other side guy and I hope you and all your families are safe.

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 22, 2020

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/the-...ihHNWwkq4WjD9L4

I know it's Rugbypass which is the rugby equivalent of The Sun at times but Maxine Mbanda is an incredible human being.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vaders Jester posted:

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/the-...ihHNWwkq4WjD9L4

I know it's Rugbypass which is the rugby equivalent of The Sun at times but Maxine Mbanda is an incredible human being.

That is pretty cool of him.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Traditionally quite a lot of players have been medically trained (game of the upper middle class etc.). Not sure how prevalent that is these days, I guess they're all too professional to be seriously qualified.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

I think Mbanda is just a dude that wanted to help and had a driving license though the number of doctors and lawyers in rugby is pretty high comparatively. Simone Favaro, the former Italy and Glasgow Warriors backrower, is now a police officer in Rome I think and has been having a rough time of it over there.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

For all the horrible anti-English sentiment that the current circumstances have caused, Wales' community response has been insane.

The Ospreys have gathered many seasons' worth of training kit, match-worn kit, merchandise and memorabilia, and parceled it out to local rugby clubs in the area, who are encouraged to either sell it in order to pay outstanding bills, or to use it themselves in the autumn, if they have trouble raising sponsorship money for the next season.

The Scarlets have turned their stadium over to the NHS, who are currently converting it into a 500 bed emergency hospital.

Rugby is in a really weird place now, because the days of 78,000 people in a stadium seem really, really far away, but once the Welsh Government give the green light for large public gatherings to resume, we're probably going to see entire villages pack out their local pitch, to watch Local Village vs Random Other Village. It's actually kind of exciting to see how incredible the bounce-back is going to be, for Community Rugby, even if the professional game is going to take a long time to get back on track.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
I wish World Rugby was using this lull in live sports to recruit new fans. If you turned a couple of exciting Wotld Cup games over to production companies who would add NFL style graphics explaining penalties, tactics, etc. and let Americans watch it for free on YouTube you might build some understanding of the game and have some new fans when things are back underway.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Stitecin posted:

I wish World Rugby was using this lull in live sports to recruit new fans. If you turned a couple of exciting Wotld Cup games over to production companies who would add NFL style graphics explaining penalties, tactics, etc. and let Americans watch it for free on YouTube you might build some understanding of the game and have some new fans when things are back underway.

This is really smart, and is actually pretty much what the NFL is doing. They have opened up their previously pay walled video service so you can watch old games and some docs that they produce. Hell NFL Network might even sell you some air time since free agency has calmed down. Show old games on there if you can. A lot of US households get it.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

If you can, go to the various unions and teams facebook and twitter pages, most are showing their "greatest games". on replay and it's well worth a watch to see how the game has evolved as well as some of the greats from years past.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Stitecin posted:

One change - give it to ESPN. They’re hurting for content. It’ll reach more people the right way, and get their content mill discussing it.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

Tyma posted:

The Scarlets have turned their stadium over to the NHS, who are currently converting it into a 500 bed emergency hospital.

The Millennium Stadium is being converted into an emergency hospital as well, with 2,000 beds.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

stavros880 posted:

The Millennium Stadium is being converted into an emergency hospital as well, with 2,000 beds.

The WRU would like to remind everyone of it's fruitful and longstanding partnerships with all of it's sponsors, and request that you no longer refer to it as 'The Millenium Stadium', and instead use the correct name of 'The Principality Morgue'.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

Tyma posted:

The WRU would like to remind everyone of it's fruitful and longstanding partnerships with all of it's sponsors, and request that you no longer refer to it as 'The Millenium Stadium', and instead use the correct name of 'The Principality Morgue'.

Ordering a pint of Brains is going to be whole new experience

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

https://twitter.com/rugbyworldcup/status/1243206073626083331

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6MK-Dz4Xqg

They posted the Tonga v France match from 2011 a couple of days ago too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbMp9uCQvsA

Oh and apparently they also posted the 1991 match between England and France last weekend: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TkY6SViUkI

oh no computer fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 28, 2020

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

If anyone is bored this afternoon, Edinburgh are showing the absolutely bonkers Edinburgh - Racing Metro 92 match from 2011 at 3pm on their YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA3cMOG4RXo

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Ah gently caress there's a bunch of games recently posted on youtube. Probably a non-exhaustive list:

English Premiership:

Internationals:

A good few games to be getting on with if you're at a loose end.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

oh no computer posted:

Ah gently caress there's a bunch of games recently posted on youtube. Probably a non-exhaustive list:

English Premiership:

Internationals:

A good few games to be getting on with if you're at a loose end.

That'll sort me out for the foreseeable. Cheers!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I don't think I could ever watch the 2017 Scotland/NZ game again.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

bessantj posted:

I don't think I could ever watch the 2017 Scotland/NZ game again.

Anyone but Barrett gets beaten by Hogg on that last run. Unbelievable tackle to save the game.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vaders Jester posted:

Anyone but Barrett gets beaten by Hogg on that last run. Unbelievable tackle to save the game.

Never been so gutted for a team that wasn't Wales/Dragons. 2017 was a hell of a year for Scottish fans.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Honestly, we could have got pumped and it would have all been worth it, just for Doddie walking out with the ball at the start. What a moment.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

oh no computer posted:

[*]Northampton vs Leicester (2014, premiership semi final): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LuG4_u6Tos

One of my all time favorites.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Is that the "loving cheat" game?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
No that was the 2013 final that Noho Saints lost to Leicester partly because of the “loving cheat” comment.

2014 semi was a Saints win on the back of one of the most brutal punches I can recall, and they went on to defeat Saracens whom I dislike substantially more than Leicester anyway.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Apollodorus posted:

No that was the 2013 final that Noho Saints lost to Leicester partly because of the “loving cheat” comment.

2014 semi was a Saints win on the back of one of the most brutal punches I can recall, and they went on to defeat Saracens whom I dislike substantially more than Leicester anyway.

If you want to see Leicester getting it tight, Glasgow Warriors are showing their absolute pumping of them in the 2016-17 European Championship on their facebook plage.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Ooh, I remember watching that one and loving it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

https://mobile.twitter.com/USARugby/status/1244715298361491456

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.