Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Zoig posted:

Doom eternal is a good game but its got like, a billion small issues that drag it down. Since its new I will stick with the most immediate thing that the game has a awful first two levels where you only have 2 or 3 guns and not very many tools and it just feels awful.

So it's Doom then? I just played through Doom 1 and it takes a few levels to actually get all the cool fun guns

And then each time you finish an episode it started you fresh with nothing

Doom 3 and noted bad game Doom 2016 also start you out with nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Yes but, in doom its like 10 minutes, in eternal its 2 hours at least.

It does pick up but i think the most obvious thing is that everything based on feedback from 2016 is really good while the newer ideas can often be a lot more staggered in quality. The marauder in particular is a very clear "nobody asked for or wanted this" kind of thing, because giving a enemy the ability to just be invulnerable for most of the time and also a decent bit of health is just unfun.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I was really dissapointed that they took what felt like pretty cohesive navigation, and progression through the story, (Aka working through the UAC plant on mars, occasionally dipping into hell.) and just made it 'oh yeah you're teleporting across the galaxy for this and that and that.'

The world suddenly feels tiny because you're just warping from place to place, and it feels like every single thing was made in a total vacuum from the others.
It was pretty neat working your way through a huge complex where you could often see parts you'd get to later on the horizon, all of that is gone now that you just teleport around to wherever.
And the story/setting stuff so far, it feels like I just dropped into the last game of a trilogy without playing the second game.

It doesn't help that the demons are now talking. There's no faster way to take the gravitas out of demons and horrors than to have them just blabbering on.
It's like the Mass Effect reapers all over again, the more they talk and the more detailed and fanwanky the setting becomes, the dumber it becomes.

It's just in a bizarre place where it both wants to not have any story to be in the way of gameplay.
But also just cannot loving contain itself and just has to tell you about it's amazing supercool D&D OC Badguy and setting that they spent a lot of time writing about.

Also, really don't like how the timed challenges just loving happen in the world with your current equipment.
They're no longer a side area specially designed for it. It's just 'lol some enemies spawned in around you, kill them I guess???'

Oh well, atleast the ripping and tearing is fun enough I suppose.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Doom 5 seems extremely overproduced and designed by committee whereas Doom 4 campaign wasn't the publisher focus and seemed more like a happy accident. Oh dear it's Wolfenstein again

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

BioEnchanted posted:

It reminds me of a neat tank game on steam called Helena the Third, basically a spiritual successor to Blaster Master, but it has really bad checkpointing halfway through the game. It wasn't so bad, but in the crystal cave levels you basically have ot get through the whole thing in one go or start right from the start, and it's a big area with no real ingame map.

This sounds made up just by the name alone.

*googles*

Welp.

Can you really call yourself a "metroidvania" if you're basically remaking a game that came out more than a decade before the term existed?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Dear god why does Doom Eternal have cutscenes (as in, outside the first-person)? Did they learn nothing from the praise the 2016 game got?

Strom Cuzewon has a new favorite as of 23:59 on Mar 20, 2020

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Len posted:

So it's Doom then? I just played through Doom 1 and it takes a few levels to actually get all the cool fun guns

And then each time you finish an episode it started you fresh with nothing

Doom 3 and noted bad game Doom 2016 also start you out with nothing

The original Doom pistol was definitely something dragging the game down. It's entirely worthless and not fun to use at all. Doom is basically a game of "where's the shotgun?" until you find one.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Dear god why does Doom Eternal have cutscenes (as in, outside the first-person)? Did they learn nothing from the praise the 2016 game got?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Doom 5 seems extremely overproduced and designed by committee whereas Doom 4 campaign wasn't the publisher focus and seemed more like a happy accident. Oh dear it's Wolfenstein again

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

the only thing dragging doom down for me atm is the checkpoint system. let me manually save you fucks

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Praising unskippable cinematics that were already a bad idea in HL2 15 years ago over simple cutscenes you can just skip.

Goons gonna goon.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The cutscenes in Eternal are skippable. A giant "HOLD R TO SKIP" pops up in the corner every single time.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I just don't get the combat loop of Eternal for some reason. You just seem too slow to not get murdered. Even after getting the dash it seems like you just don't have the tools to not get splattered all over the walls. Part of it feels like the level layout is too cramped to get to work in. It feels like I should be able to kite around the demons, but I keep get caught on whatever and don't have enough time to actually kill anything before I get hit. The combat arena after you first get the dash is actually getting me tilted enough to have to take a break for a while. I'll take a walk and drop the difficulty and see where it takes me. I really want to like this game, but it just doesn't feel right for some reason.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

You need the dash recharge upgrade, its hosed up how much faster it charges with the upgrade and the game is near unplayable without it.

Eternal frustrates me because instead of trying to iterate and improve on doom 2016 it tries a divergent direction instead that in itself need iteration and improvement. I think if eternal was a spinoff i would probably like it far more and it would help a lot with the weird tone because it really does feel like a spinoff of 2016.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Doom Eternal is a direct sequel to Doom 2016 but you could've fooled me. It plays like a sloppy indie game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

After thinking about it a bit I realized I was actually just thinking about Resident Evil mainly.

It absolutely flies in the face of horror but I'm so bored of horror games that're set on moonless nights, while you're underground and there's an eclipse coming.

At first I was gonna go on a tear about being sick of zombie games and darkness but then I thought about Dead Island and Dying Light and Last of Us and Days Gone and Resident Evil 5 etc, so I was wrong, just forgot about most of the games and was only thinking about Resident Evil 7, 2 and 3 ReMake.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

This is the only thread I follow that's talking about Doom Eternal so from this perspective it's the exact opposite of Doom 2016.

Goons spent months going on about how Doom 2016 was going to be poo poo and garbage only to decide it was the best Doom ever

Goons spent month going on about how Doom Eternal was going to be amazing and are in here dissing it while the sister thread has nothing

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Honestly, it's our own faults for not recognizing the pattern of a really strong FPS releasing a dogshit sequel after the lessons learned from Duke 3D, Wolfenstein TNO, Shadow Warrior 2013 and arguably Half-Life.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

doom eternal is very, very far from a "dogshit sequel"

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Half-Life 2, the dogshit sequel.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Half-Life 2 and Doom Eternal are both worse than the game that preceded them, yeah.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

bony tony posted:

Half-Life 2, the dogshit sequel.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
amazing

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Doom Eternal will heal souls across the world once all the necessary 40 patches go through and people play it again in November.

Crowetron posted:

Honestly, it's our own faults for not recognizing the pattern of a really strong FPS releasing a dogshit sequel after the lessons learned from Duke 3D, Wolfenstein TNO, Shadow Warrior 2013 and arguably Half-Life.

You left out Metroid Prime in your list there.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

You left out Metroid Prime in your list there.

Poor Metroid Prime. Two disappointing sequels and a fourth game in eternal limbo.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Samuringa posted:

Praising unskippable cinematics that were already a bad idea in HL2 15 years ago over simple cutscenes you can just skip.

Goons gonna goon.

Eh, Doom 2016 had really short and punchy talking-rooms, way better than HL2's extended ones.

Doom Eternal so far, still has them. Except instead of being first person, it pulls out, so you can see the Doomslayer wandering around silently like he's trying real hard to intimidate people.

From the end of the first level (32minutes 40s in if the timestamp fails): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7TcosmxL7E&t=1960s

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Extremely petty complaint about new Doom: Switching through tabs in the menus is accompanied by a high-pitched clicking sound that is just a tiny bit painful to my ears, and if you want to check your customization options you hear it all the time.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Eh, Doom 2016 had really short and punchy talking-rooms, way better than HL2's extended ones.

Doom Eternal so far, still has them. Except instead of being first person, it pulls out, so you can see the Doomslayer wandering around silently like he's trying real hard to intimidate people.

From the end of the first level (32minutes 40s in if the timestamp fails): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7TcosmxL7E&t=1960s

Lmao omg that sucks so bad.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

This really seems like a case of "hey you know that thing that everyone praised us for, let's throw that away and do the opposite".

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
It doesn't help that Doom Eternal has a really weird tonal issue where like half the game is over the top blood and gore satan murder like you'd expect from Doom. Then the other half is just straight up bugs bunny cartoon bullshit. You grab a demon and you pull his eye out with a comical jar opening pop, you punch a zombie three times then bash his head into his chest cavity with one fist and he just kind of wilts to the floor like "Oh no, woe is meeee" or you can rip off a dude's head and he'll mug at the camera for a moment before doomguy throws it aside like it's nothing. The game is trying very, very hard to be funny and wacky. And it feels like it's tripping over its self to do that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The over the top violence and comical demon bashing are totally on the same wavelength, there's nothing tonally inconsistent about that at all.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

In the first game, you ripped out a Pinky's tooth and used it to slit its throat. There's a precedent!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

exquisite tea posted:

The over the top violence and comical demon bashing are totally on the same wavelength, there's nothing tonally inconsistent about that at all.

They're similar but they're not the same, and if you're going to use both then you need to use them so as to create an amusing juxtaposition, not just randomly switch from one to the other. Like, Mortal Kombat fatalities are funny and cool, but if Liu Kang could just drop arcade cabinets on his enemies repeatedly in the middle of fights it wouldn't be funny any more it would just be weird and dumb.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

exquisite tea posted:

Polygon has a really good video on how the recent Doom games are basically just really gory slapstick comedy. Apparently, Evil Dead 2 was used to set the game's tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h88UcP36xU

That slapstick is a really important part of it, because it stops the game becoming just... uncomfortable. Like a really joyless (or alternatively, disconcertingly joyous) horror movie. Mortal Kombat's a game that has to walk the same line, and you see it misstep on that with a couple of Fatalities over the recent games, they go a little too far. The slapstick helps to keep things becoming too horrific to actually be fun in the way they want.

Crowetron posted:

Poor Metroid Prime. Two disappointing sequels and a fourth game in eternal limbo.

I don't think 'disappointing' is a wrong term here, but I don't think Prime 2 and 3 are all that bad. They're just, like, B or B+ games that had the misfortune of following up one of the strongest, sturdiest A+ games I've ever seen.

I've said it before, but Prime 1 just succeeds at everything it does, while 2 and 3 fail at some attempts. I actually think 2 and 3 have higher highs than Prime 1 (basically all of Sanctuary Fortress is my jam, and the fights against the other hunters in 3 are all fantastic), they also have... it's not that they have lower lows, it's that they have lows at all.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Doom eternal is still a very good game but the reason there's no praise in the sister thread is that all the things it does right are the big "you better get this right or the game is screwed" kind of things, and even in those you get small stuff like there being a few combat things that are kinda lame. everything it does wrong is small but it does way more wrong than its predecessor and that's disappointing.

Also I steadily grew to dislike hugo as it drew closer to release day, including him just spoiling a theoretically cool thing in a video where someone got to try it early. I found him just a bit smug.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Apparently Wasteland 3 is supposed to coming out in two months and there's no discussion about it. I never got far in Wasteland 2 because it looked like rear end and had the worst character-creation system since FATAL.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cleretic posted:

Polygon has a really good video on how the recent Doom games are basically just really gory slapstick comedy. Apparently, Evil Dead 2 was used to set the game's tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h88UcP36xU

That slapstick is a really important part of it, because it stops the game becoming just... uncomfortable. Like a really joyless (or alternatively, disconcertingly joyous) horror movie. Mortal Kombat's a game that has to walk the same line, and you see it misstep on that with a couple of Fatalities over the recent games, they go a little too far. The slapstick helps to keep things becoming too horrific to actually be fun in the way they want.

Typically, yes. But when in the space of five minutes you go from brutal violence, to goofy, to brutal violence, to goofy again and again and again, I don't think it really works well. Because it's switching too dramatically too often, rather than using the humor to break up the brutality. It just feels exhausting.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It kind of reminds me of Layers of Fear, where the doll room freaks a lot of people out at first but ruins it by having a spooky girl run headfirst into a cabinet, which is just funny.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Apparently Wasteland 3 is supposed to coming out in two months and there's no discussion about it. I never got far in Wasteland 2 because it looked like rear end and had the worst character-creation system since FATAL.

The character creation in Wasteland 2 was horrifyingly bad. It basically comes down to “follow a guide, or you’ll be screwed in 20 hours when the game catches up to your suboptimal build and you get stuck”.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Wasteland 2 pretty much fully delivered on the promise to make an old school CRPG, and there are a lot of ways that actually kinda sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Nuebot posted:

Typically, yes. But when in the space of five minutes you go from brutal violence, to goofy, to brutal violence, to goofy again and again and again, I don't think it really works well. Because it's switching too dramatically too often, rather than using the humor to break up the brutality. It just feels exhausting.

There's no brutal violence in Doom, it's 100% goofy.