Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

tweet my meat posted:

It still mystifies me how MacFarlane managed to make a show as good as The Orville after making Family Guy.

My brain had a mild seizure when I noticed that one of the recent ATP festivals had been curated by Matt Groening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

watched "The Foreigner" tonight on Netflix, keeping in theme with St Patricks Day

kinda sucked, I guess it was a serviceable revenge movie and a good performance by Jackie Chan, but they really go all in on 1980s Irish politics in 2017

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Are there any good historical movies streaming right now? I'm not really feeling like seeing contemporary life from a week ago right now.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

watched "The Foreigner" tonight on Netflix, keeping in theme with St Patricks Day

kinda sucked, I guess it was a serviceable revenge movie and a good performance by Jackie Chan, but they really go all in on 1980s Irish politics in 2017

Yea the whole IRA angle should've been background noise but instead it was like the core of the entire movie and it was boring as hell.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

married but discreet posted:

Are there any good historical movies streaming right now? I'm not really feeling like seeing contemporary life from a week ago right now.

Absolutely same. I had trouble getting through Ratatouille three nights ago of all things, because of all the scenes in a crowded restaurant. We tried watching Curb Your Enthusiasm last night and even 2000s era New York was giving me anxiety and I was too distracted with how no one's having an awkward run-in at a movie theater for a while. Horror movies are right out and those are my favorites. Pretty much I can stomach cartoons and other completely unrealistic things right now, Twitch streams, and almost nothing else. It did give us an excuse to watch Wreck It Ralph on Disney Plus, and that took my mind off things for about two hours!

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

LifeLynx posted:

Absolutely same. I had trouble getting through Ratatouille three nights ago of all things, because of all the scenes in a crowded restaurant. We tried watching Curb Your Enthusiasm last night and even 2000s era New York was giving me anxiety and I was too distracted with how no one's having an awkward run-in at a movie theater for a while. Horror movies are right out and those are my favorites. Pretty much I can stomach cartoons and other completely unrealistic things right now, Twitch streams, and almost nothing else. It did give us an excuse to watch Wreck It Ralph on Disney Plus, and that took my mind off things for about two hours!

I'm rewatching CYE and if you're stressing don't do this.

Eventually you'll get to the chairlift scene.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

LifeLynx posted:

Let me suggest Westerns. The good ones will give you this completely immersive world from a different place and time(that really never existed, but hey, for escapism it works) and they never talk about germs or viruses.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I’ve been watching a lot of Coen Brothers movies to pass the time while confined at home

The Hudsucker Proxy and Raising Arizona are on HBO
A Serious Man is on Netflix
The Big Lebowski, Fargo, and Burn After Reading are on Starz
True Grit is on Prime

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Pretty sure No Country for Old Men is on Netflix as well

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Deadite posted:

I’ve been watching a lot of Coen Brothers movies to pass the time while confined at home

True Grit is on Prime

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs is also on Netflix if anyone still hasn’t seen it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Deadite posted:

True Grit is on Prime

Inside Llewyn Davis is also on Amazon Prime.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

married but discreet posted:

Looked up a few of my favorites on Justwatch:
Peterloo (Prime)
Chappaquiddick (Prime)
Zama (Prime)
Love & Friendship (Prime)
Outlaw King (Netflix)
Ballad of Buster Scruggs (Netflix)
Roma (Netflix)
The Vvitch (Netflix)
Detroit (Hulu)
I, Tonya (Hulu)
Apollo 11 (Hulu)
The Nightingale (Hulu) - warning: very dark
Ida (Hoopla)
Won't You Be My Neighbor? (HBO)
The Favourite (HBO)
Rush (HBO)
Borg/McEnroe: Fire & Ice (HBO)
Master and Commander (Starz)

fenix down fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 18, 2020

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

The Road
28 Days Later
Children of Men
I Am Legend
Mad Max
Mad Max 2
Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome
Mad Max: Fury Road
Dawn of the Dead
Quarantine
Bird Box
Contagion
Melancholia
The Mist

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Basebf555 posted:

Let me suggest Westerns. The good ones will give you this completely immersive world from a different place and time(that really never existed, but hey, for escapism it works) and they never talk about germs or viruses.

sage advice right here

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

vivat virtute posted:

The Road
28 Days Later
Children of Men
I Am Legend
Mad Max
Mad Max 2
Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome
Mad Max: Fury Road
Dawn of the Dead
Quarantine
Bird Box
Contagion
Melancholia
The Mist

The three recent Planet of the Apes movies deal with a virus wiping out most of humanity and they’re all pretty good.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The three recent Planet of the Apes movies deal with a virus wiping out most of humanity and they’re all pretty good.

The Last Man on Earth is on Hulu, it’s not a great series but that first episode is fantastic

https://youtu.be/raR1K4Qg7XY

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007

Deadite posted:

The Last Man on Earth is on Hulu, it’s not a great series but that first episode is fantastic

It was the most frustrating show, throughout its whole run it bounced between really terrible episodes and genuinely great ones. I have on idea how they achieved a level of quality that uneven, it's impressive.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Not exactly the most niche recommendation, but Kanopy has a lot of older historical movies set in Japan that absolutely kick rear end. Kurosawa movies of course if you haven't seen them are extremely good, they're gorgeous, funny and entertaining as hell. Masaki Kobayashi's Harakiri is completely amazing start to finish, and the soundtrack slaps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2zIlGY3F3k

fenix down posted:

Looked up a few of my favorites on Justwatch:

Good stuff, thanks!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

pahuyuth posted:

(riders of the purple) sage advice right here

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I'm on the last episode of McMillions, and I cannot envision how it could have been done in 90 minutes and encapsulated the multiple layers the series does and been this captivating. You start out thinking it's just a run of the mill heist, with the twist that it's an inside job on a contest you personally remember and played a hundred years ago. A few episodes in, you've realized that the police are dead eyed psychopaths chasing down the victims of a multi-level marketing and entrapment scam. The only part I probably wouldn't miss was the episode dedicated to humanizing the Colombo crime family, because, come on. This is my last McMillions post, I swear

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Inspector Hound posted:

I'm on the last episode of McMillions, and I cannot envision how it could have been done in 90 minutes and encapsulated the multiple layers the series does and been this captivating. You start out thinking it's just a run of the mill heist, with the twist that it's an inside job on a contest you personally remember and played a hundred years ago. A few episodes in, you've realized that the police are dead eyed psychopaths chasing down the victims of a multi-level marketing and entrapment scam. The only part I probably wouldn't miss was the episode dedicated to humanizing the Colombo crime family, because, come on. This is my last McMillions post, I swear

Oh my, there's a last episode. So on this.

editing my post for what the gently caress

this show does not make the cops look bad

They're goofy

and the crime family doubly so

BaldDwarfOnPCP fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 19, 2020

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

^ no, I swore ^

Amazon Prime has Blippi's whole lineup, giving me another opportunity to laugh until I cry at the drawing of him pooping on his friend.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Inspector Hound posted:

^ no, I swore ^

Did they sentence Jerry one month for every sticker he stole. It seems like an oddly specific number

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Franchescanado posted:

Inside Llewyn Davis is also on Amazon Prime.

Absolutely one of my go-to movies for feeling good and immersed in a different time. The songs are so good.

P-p-please Mr. Kennedy, don't shoot me into outah space (OUTER. SPACE.)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

precision posted:

Absolutely one of my go-to movies for feeling good and immersed in a different time. The songs are so good.

P-p-please Mr. Kennedy, don't shoot me into outah space (OUTER. SPACE.)

The entire soundtrack has been part of my usual rotation since it came out. It’s so drat good and it sucks that ILD is just one of those Coens that it seems like no one really saw.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

precision posted:

Absolutely one of my go-to movies for feeling good

what

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The entire soundtrack has been part of my usual rotation since it came out. It’s so drat good and it sucks that ILD is just one of those Coens that it seems like no one really saw.

It's really good but I can totally see why it's one of their more low key films. It doesn't have the star power (at least at the time) of a lot of their bigger films, It doesn't have the immediate draw of a lot of their darker stuff, and it doesn't have much of the weirdness factor. I can't think of anything they've done that is really comparable.

Tbh it's the only Coen movie other than Hail Caesar that I skipped out on watching in theaters in my adult life, just because even if I knew it would be good a movie about folk singer just wasn't that appealing. No regrets on waiting on HC though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

I can’t speak for Precision, but when I saw it I was in a little single-screen theater that didn’t have a working heater that day, so I was huddled up in a coat that wasn’t heavy enough to be totally warm and that whole month I had been going through Some poo poo. I don’t think I’ve ever related to a movie more in my entire life. So yeah, I totally get watching that movie as a pick-me-up. It’s comforting to watch a protagonist gently caress up repeatedly and get completely poo poo on and still not give up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, plus the humor in the early parts is great. Timberlake is a terrific actor.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I mean I adore it and it's got a lot of fun moments, but that film rips my soul out. About as far from feel-good as I get.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I can’t speak for Precision, but when I saw it I was in a little single-screen theater that didn’t have a working heater that day, so I was huddled up in a coat that wasn’t heavy enough to be totally warm and that whole month I had been going through Some poo poo. I don’t think I’ve ever related to a movie more in my entire life. So yeah, I totally get watching that movie as a pick-me-up.

This is me, but with Blade Runner. It's always comforting for me to put it on and experience the perfect distillation of the decay and alienation of our existence, all wrapped up in a two hour sensory feast.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That's me and Blade Runner 2049. Also Llewyn Davis, but it hits too close to home to watch often.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

veni veni veni posted:

Tbh it's the only Coen movie other than Hail Caesar that I skipped out on watching in theaters in my adult life, just because even if I knew it would be good a movie about folk singer just wasn't that appealing. No regrets on waiting on HC though.

This is kind of a shame, because the Channing Tatum Crossing the Delaware gag is really something on the big screen.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
drat, the new Pixar movie Onward is coming to VOD tonight, and will be streaming on Disney+ on 4/3.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Medullah posted:

drat, the new Pixar movie Onward is coming to VOD tonight, and will be streaming on Disney+ on 4/3.

Looks locked in for a tie with Monsters University for worst Pixar movie

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Inspector Hound posted:

Looks locked in for a tie with Monsters University for worst Pixar movie

I had a couple friends who saw it and said it was really good.

Of course I take that with a grain of salt because one of those friends loves Mr. Poppers Penguins

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I hadn't heard anything about it coming, so I don't know if it's release was pushed up because of the virus, but the Altered Carbon Anime that was written by Dai Soto (Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Project, and Eureeka Seven) is up on Netflix.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The Platform just went up on Netflix. Someone let me know how it is. Looked quite a bit like Snowpiercer.

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tim Whatley posted:

The Platform just went up on Netflix. Someone let me know how it is. Looked quite a bit like Snowpiercer.

it was pretty cool. good looking film, a lotta gore. some neat ideas. but by the end you've basically covered all the concepts from the trailer and plot summary and thats the movie. kind of an ambiguous ending which disappointed me a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I hadn't heard anything about it coming, so I don't know if it's release was pushed up because of the virus, but the Altered Carbon Anime that was written by Dai Soto (Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Project, and Eureeka Seven) is up on Netflix.

Is it stand alone from the regular series?