Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i dont read comics but i feel like every big marvel thing from about three years ago has aged even harder than edgy 90s rob liefeld poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Reminds me of that obese model who needed help getting up.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Farm Frenzy posted:

i dont read comics but i feel like every big marvel thing from about three years ago has aged even harder than edgy 90s rob liefeld poo poo

yeah, I was thinking about Street Sharks and GI Joe Xtreme in the shower yesterday and how the woke poo poo in marvel and star wars from ca. 2016 is a really similar species of phenomenon

just a cash in on a trend, the difference is the 2016 woke poo poo has this political component and is aimed primarily at adults

I think it goes back to Obama's campaign being so lucrative and successful

someone on twitter the other day or maybe on a podcast mentioned that politicians realizing that they could make people fans instead of just constituents is a hallmark of the age we are currently exiting

weird poo poo man

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

the tiger king docu series on netflix is some wild crazy stuff

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

doc antle grooms tigers and teenagers :yikes:

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

so everyone that owns big cats is a sociopathic cult leader, alright then

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
If y'all in the mood for women beating the poo poo out of each other, I highly recommend Catfight and Lady Bloodfight, both on Netflix.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Alright, been watching some theatrical cuts back to back with directors cuts and special editions lately

The Terminator 2 theatrical cut is better than the Extreme edition (or whatever it is called)

The Alien theatrical cut is a completely perfect film and is better than the directors cut

the highlander directors cut is better than the theatrical cut

the blade runner final cut is better than the other iterations

the Apocalypse Now theatrical cut is better as a film experience but the director's cut is also really interesting, that poo poo with the french family is really good, poo poo is just long as gently caress

the alien 3 directors cut is better than the theatrical release as is the alien resurrection directors cut

I honestly could not tell a difference between the aliens DC and the theatrical cut

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i think that as long as straight white men are the people primarily writing and illustrating mainstream comics, minority characters constantly being drawn & written as caricatures will continue to be the norm. especially when it comes to drawing & writing women, because dudes can and have fetishized every drat thing, so even stuff like "we want this character to have more realistic body proportions" ends up looking like some kind of fetish bait

"oh this lady hero has very thick thighs and large feet because some women do in real life, and the fact that her costume prominently features fishnet leggings and strappy platform sandals is totally coincidental"

"oh this villainess is 250 lbs because women in real life don't all weigh the same amount and the fact that she's constantly eating and her powers are derived from the food she eats and she's always threatening to eat the hero is totally coincidental"

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Over Easy posted:

Alright, been watching some theatrical cuts back to back with directors cuts and special editions lately

The Terminator 2 theatrical cut is better than the Extreme edition (or whatever it is called)

The Alien theatrical cut is a completely perfect film and is better than the directors cut

the Apocalypse Now theatrical cut is better as a film experience but the director's cut is also really interesting, that poo poo with the french family is really good, poo poo is just long as gently caress

the alien 3 directors cut is better than the theatrical release as is the alien resurrection directors cut

I honestly could not tell a difference between the aliens DC and the theatrical cut

Aliens has some good stuff but at the price of making it a bit longer which does slow the pacing down

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Over Easy posted:

I remember thinking the T2 extended cut was the coolest poo poo and then watching it like last year I remember thinking how horseshit every single cut scene that I thought was cool was now, especially the Kyle scene in the sanitarium, I'm mad that dumb scene even got shot

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

working in film, I can’t tell you how frustrating it is to work on someone’s pet scene that you know know know will never make the cut but you get to invest 5 hours of your life in it anyways

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

Aliens has some good stuff but at the price of making it a bit longer which does slow the pacing down

yeah, I went back and looked at what was added and you pretty much sum it up, cool stuff but not necessary and bogs the narrative down

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Rom and Leeta were a spot on prediction of contemporary leftist couples

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Controversial opinion but imo the best fight scene in all the John Wicks is the one in the castle in Morocco in John Wick 3 because it has Halle Berry's dogs in it doing cool stunts. Nightclub scene in John Wick 1 is a close second, followed by Knife Throwing Scene also from 3.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Dr Bashir is DSA Sex Pest Caucus

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Dr. Killjoy posted:

remember when worf got so mad that dax tried to get him horny that he joined space ISIS on Risa

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Zvahl posted:

remember when worf got so mad that dax tried to get him horny that he joined space ISIS on Risa

lol yeah, that is the best risa epiusode

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Over Easy posted:

lol yeah, that is the best risa epiusode

Only registered members can see post attachments!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Over Easy posted:

yeah, I went back and looked at what was added and you pretty much sum it up, cool stuff but not necessary and bogs the narrative down

i slightly prefer the extended cut bc it adds a little more character and has one or two great scenes but i understand why they cut it

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dr. Killjoy posted:

lol

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

vyelkin posted:

Controversial opinion but imo the best fight scene in all the John Wicks is the one in the castle in Morocco in John Wick 3 because it has Halle Berry's dogs in it doing cool stunts. Nightclub scene in John Wick 1 is a close second, followed by Knife Throwing Scene also from 3.

the night club scene in collateral is p deece

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

im almost done the 7 episodes of tiger king and i highly recommend if you want a crazy look at capitalism run wild with psychotic swindlers, tigers and lions

apparently tiger cubs are only profitable for like 12 weeks so one guy breeds them and murders the ones he can't sell to save on feeding expenses

this the same one that grooms teenage employees to join his polycule and even schedules boob job surgeries without notifying the person who is getting it

Percelus has issued a correction as of 01:13 on Mar 22, 2020

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Percelus posted:

im almost done the 7 episodes of tiger king and i highly recommend if you want a crazy look at capitalism run wild with psychotic swindlers, tigers and lions

apparently tiger cubs are only profitable for like 12 weeks so one guy breeds them and murders the ones he can't sell to save on feeding expenses

this the same one that grooms teenage employees to join his polycule and even schedules boob job surgeries without notifying the person who is getting it

Lmao the age of mandatory body modification was at least cool in cyberpunk

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Over Easy posted:

yes, YEEEESSSS Alien theatrical cut is one of the greatest movies ever made, yes, hell no it's better in everything except the stupid is he a replicant plot where it's basically definitively stated he is and it makes the movie much shittier, yes, yes and it's better than Aliens, yes, director's cut of aliens is more boringer

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
i liked the machine guns scene in the directors cut of aliens because it shows that that the aliens arent some unstoppable god menace theyre actually pretty cullable but because the authority figures are complete idiots they cant actually be trusted to handle the situation appropriately

it synchs up really well with the overall theme of aliens but rather hilariously undermines the themes of every single other movie in the franchise that go really deep into the mythos of xenomorphs being like the ultimate in animal evolution or some crap like that instead of their just being really freaky monsters that scare the poo poo out of everybody

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

i liked the machine guns scene in the directors cut of aliens because it shows that that the aliens arent some unstoppable god menace theyre actually pretty cullable but because the authority figures are complete idiots they cant actually be trusted to handle the situation appropriately

it synchs up really well with the overall theme of aliens but rather hilariously undermines the themes of every single other movie in the franchise that go really deep into the mythos of xenomorphs being like the ultimate in animal evolution or some crap like that instead of their just being really freaky monsters that scare the poo poo out of everybody

it's a vietnam parable and it's actually a bit sick when you draw the parallels and realise the vietnamese are portrayed as easily cullable monsters that win only due to the leadership not wanting to nuke them

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

lmaoooo heard that one before

i remember reading a statement he released saying he had really slowed down his pace so he was only managing an average of about 1-5 pages a day on the main series.

that was like 5 years ago. if he was telling the truth he would have managed to write the whole series over again by now. he's done

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

grrm should end asoiaf with one contender left remaining for the iron throne who then dies of dysentery with the last line of the series describing them making GBS threads to death

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
At this point it's like whatever, you had your chance.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

yeah, i was really ready for the next installment in 2012

ready as gently caress

now I am not giving any kind of gently caress about it

mance rayder and euron greyjoy could start loving maybe, and that would get me back into it

love those guys in the books

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Watching a bunch of Tarantino movies I missed and having a chuckle at the Weinstein Company logos

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

Watching a bunch of Tarantino movies I missed and having a chuckle at the Weinstein Company logos

what movies? if I may ask

I just saw the hateful 8 for the first time and was alright with it

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Over Easy posted:

Anything he made with Miramax, which is everything from Reservoir Dogs to at least Kill Bill I think.

I still hold that the plot point in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood about Cliff possibly having killed his wife is at least partially QT working out his feelings about Weinstein.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

General Dog posted:

Anything he made with Miramax, which is everything from Reservoir Dogs to at least Kill Bill I think.

I still hold that the plot point in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood about Cliff possibly having killed his wife is at least partially QT working out his feelings about Weinstein.

Everything he made in his entire career except Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Grindhouse is either Miramax or the Weinstein Company.

e: oh and whoops Grindhouse is from a Miramax subsidiary

vyelkin has issued a correction as of 01:40 on Mar 23, 2020

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Dimension actually became a Weinstein Company subsidiary when they quit Disney over Disney not wanting to release Fahrenheit 9/11 in late 2004, they straight up bought it from Disney right after they left. I'm guessing because that's what all the horror franchises they would need to build a foundation for the company on were legally owned by, since horror's like the single most reliable genre in movies to make a buck.

Disney would later sell off Miramax in 2009 and every movie produced under it to an investment firm and now I think it's owned by beIN?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Freaking Crumbum posted:

even better, teenage super heroing. you know, legally distinct from adult super heroing, posthumous super heroing, intelligent animal super heroing, etc.

The comic event that the dumb comic is spun out from is about teenage superheroes being outlawed in the universe of Marvel Comics.

Which is an incredibly sensible law.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Huh so after decades of tackling real world social issues through allegorical elements and storytelling Marvel’s finally decided to put in their two cents on a debate that plagues society lately but few are brave enough to speak of, the age of consent!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

The comic event that the dumb comic is spun out from is about teenage superheroes being outlawed in the universe of Marvel Comics.

Which is an incredibly sensible law.

Child soldiers are a long-standing and well-respected tradition in superhero comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Over Easy posted:

Inglourious Basterds and Django Umchained. Tarantino kind of rubs me the wrong way but I did generally like them. The one funny bit is that I watched Basterds right after Where Eagles Dare so I thought the bit where Landa calls up the US high command was the same scam Richard Burton pulled in Eagles (even though I knew how Basterds ended)