Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

TheHan posted:

I love that the Cyber Sleuths hit a huge roadblock when UlForceVeedramon didn't make it to Tokyo, and Kyoko's solution is just "Well what if we went to another dimension where UlForceVeedramon did make it to Tokyo? Then you just do it and encounter what is clearly another protagonist from an earlier game.

Not even a protagonist honestly, Rina is an extremely secondary character who keeps popping in as a series of bizarre cameos. She's like Gilgamesh except not funny and nobody really seems to like her.

I get the sense that someone is really really pulling for her to be the next Ryo Akiyama, but god knows that probably isn't happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Omnicrom posted:

I get the sense that someone is really really pulling for her to be the next Ryo Akiyama, but god knows that probably isn't happening.

I mean "nobody really likes them" also describes Ryo so.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Oh wow, with the hot-blooded idiocy and goggles coupled with her partner it gave off huge protagonist energy.

But yeah, turned out she’s grating. Nokia is already doing the hot blooded hero schtick perfectly and I don’t really get Why Rina’s seemed to join cast from here on out. Mirei doesn’t even like her!

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
i like rina's dumb rear end way more than nokia

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Nokia rules, she digivolved her partners twice through the sheer determination to whoop some rear end. Also I don't like Rina's pants.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rina's the worst recurring character and I wish she didn't return. Sadly someone on the team really loves her so we'll have her forever alongside the far better Mirei and maybe the random Sayo.

..We don't have a single male character connecting all of these games, do we?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Blaze Dragon posted:

Rina's the worst recurring character and I wish she didn't return. Sadly someone on the team really loves her so we'll have her forever alongside the far better Mirei and maybe the random Sayo.

..We don't have a single male character connecting all of these games, do we?

Mameo and Analogman

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Rina, like Ryou before her, has most of her popularity in Japan

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

thetoughestbean posted:

Mameo and Analogman

Don't count, they only appear in games in the same continuity (and the very closely related Digital Card Battle). They aren't cross-continuity monsters like Mirei and Rina.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Nodosaur posted:

Rina, like Ryou before her, has most of her popularity in Japan

Doesn't surprise me. I can't speak to Rina, but by the accounts of Konaka's website Ryo ended up in Digimon Tamers because he actually was extremely popular in Japan.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
It doesn’t help that Ryo was the star of a series of games on the ever-so-popular WonderSwan, which never left Japan’s borders. Meaning that instead of a great callback, we got some new guy that just happened to be perfect at everything he did for no apparent reason.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Geostomp posted:

It doesn’t help that Ryo was the star of a series of games on the ever-so-popular WonderSwan, which never left Japan’s borders. Meaning that instead of a great callback, we got some new guy that just happened to be perfect at everything he did for no apparent reason.

And young me still thought he was the coolest

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

There are more aggravating Perfect At Everything characters than Ryou. Like Yuu, to name one of them.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nodosaur posted:

There are more aggravating Perfect At Everything characters than Ryou. Like Yuu, to name one of them.

Yuu is a nice antagonist with just as much Ken as he needed to have. He would've been a fun protagonist too had Hunters not decided to horribly sideline him.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Sidelined Yuu in Hunters? The show that gave him a fangirl squad, a love interest, and more focus episodes than Taiki?! Not to mention how he stole Nene’s role in the plot very transparently when it became obvious they were retooling the show because toy sales were down.

I maintain that Yuu is the worst.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nodosaur posted:

Sidelined Yuu in Hunters? The show that gave him a fangirl squad, a love interest, and more focus episodes than Taiki?! Not to mention how he stole Nene’s role in the plot very transparently when it became obvious they were retooling the show because toy sales were down.

I maintain that Yuu is the worst.

What toy sales, as far as I can tell toys for Xros Wars completely vanished before even the first arc finished, let alone Young Hunters

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yes, that’s right. And by the time toys started disappearing was when we learned that Nene apparently had a little brother and theres an extremely abrupt shift in her character. In earlier episodes she’s openly devious and coy with everyone, but after Jungle Zone, apparently she was only forced into being evil. Then she stops being leader of her own team and becomes part of Xros Heart and she was just a victim of Dark Knightmon. Then Death Generals happens and Yuu gets everything that used to be her’s except for Sparrowmon and Mervamon.

It’s really telling when we saw concept art of a huge Digi Xros involving all members of Team XW, Blue Flare, and Twilight, but then it all makes a hard swerve that results in the girl no longer being as major of a character and the important Digimon in Twilight all get attached to a boy who’s now more important to the overall plot instead. Nene got done dirty.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

Yes, that’s right. And by the time toys started disappearing was when we learned that Nene apparently had a little brother and theres an extremely abrupt shift in her character. In earlier episodes she’s openly devious and coy with everyone, but after Jungle Zone, apparently she was only forced into being evil. Then she stops being leader of her own team and becomes part of Xros Heart and she was just a victim of Dark Knightmon. Then Death Generals happens and Yuu gets everything that used to be her’s except for Sparrowmon and Mervamon.

It’s really telling when we saw concept art of a huge Digi Xros involving all members of Team XW, Blue Flare, and Twilight, but then it all makes a hard swerve that results in the girl no longer being as major of a character and the important Digimon in Twilight all get attached to a boy who’s now more important to the overall plot instead. Nene got done dirty.

Yeah that is definitely something the manga handled better overall even if it technically covered a lot of similar tracks

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The manga turned her into a meat puppet for a monster that possessed her in a disturbing fanservicey way that was overly sexualized

No version of Nene was treated well

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

The manga turned her into a meat puppet for a monster that possessed her in a disturbing fanservicey way that was overly sexualized

The difference is that with the Manga version it's because of her doing a tragic sacrifice which ended up being very important to the plot, while the anime version is just her being sidelined due to them retooling the show due to the merchandise underperforming(which makes it really weird that Xros Wars lasted as long as it had, you would think with all the merchandise failing miserably they would have canned it early instead)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They wanted to hold onto the time slot more than anything.

And yeah, I guess that’s a point in it’s favor, but that doesn’t make what the manga did with her good. The way Nene-Shademon is depicted alone is a huge mark against it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

And yeah, I guess that’s a point in it’s favor, but that doesn’t make what the manga did with her good. The way Nene-Shademon is depicted alone is a huge mark against it.

Still kinda weird when you consider just how expensive it must have been for them to do both Death Generals and Young Hunters with basically no merchandise to sell, you'd think they would have just ended Xros Wars early and stick reruns in the slot or something

And wasn't denying that the Shademon stuff isn't kinda gross, just that storywise if you had to sideline a character like they did with Nene, what they did in the manga was still overall the better route than what the anime did

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Nodosaur posted:

Seeing my boy Moon=Millenniummon coiled around a naked prepubescent girl just hurts. The coolest Millenniummon form deserves way better.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
:stare:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

Still kinda weird when you consider just how expensive it must have been for them to do both Death Generals and Young Hunters with basically no merchandise to sell, you'd think they would have just ended Xros Wars early and stick reruns in the slot or something

And wasn't denying that the Shademon stuff isn't kinda gross, just that storywise if you had to sideline a character like they did with Nene, what they did in the manga was still overall the better route than what the anime did

There was probably a contract about having to put new programming in or something; but then XW had a network hop for DG so who knows what fully happened. I think they were just trying to wring as much blood from the stone as possible tbh. No one said Toei was smart.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Nodosaur posted:

It says something about how they treated Nene period that the Manga version is the one with significantly more dignity, agency, personality, and relevance and she's literally possessed for the back half of the series.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

The Bee posted:

Seeing my boy Moon=Millenniummon coiled around a naked prepubescent girl just hurts. The coolest Millenniummon form deserves way better.

Wait excuse me?! :stare:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Brother Entropy posted:

i forget if it was in this thread but i picked up cyber sleuth again from where i left off and man whoever said the female MC gives off big lesbian energy just because they were too lazy to change the script that was obviously written for the male MC was real spot on. all these opportunities to dunk on the boys and let nokia flirt with you

It owns.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Wait excuse me?! :stare:

Nene is possessed by a Digimon called Shademon. This is depicted by her being completely nude saved for strips of shadow wrapped around parts of her body. When Nene-Shademon Digi Xroses with Millenniummon, it’s depicted as Moon=Millenniummon coiled around her body.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I used to wonder if I should watch Xros Wars myself and form my own opinion instead of letting the goon hive mind dictate it for me.

I uh... I think I’m okay with being a sheep in this case.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

This is from the manga, not the anime

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Not that the anime is good, just. You know. Distinctions

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

I used to wonder if I should watch Xros Wars myself and form my own opinion instead of letting the goon hive mind dictate it for me.

I uh... I think I’m okay with being a sheep in this case.

Honestly the Shademon stuff is gross, but I still feel the manga is worth reading anyways

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly the Shademon stuff is gross, but I still feel the manga is worth reading anyways

Yeah, I'll second this. That thing aside, the manga is well-written and interesting, and I do recommend it...but I can see why that'd make you think otherwise.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

drrockso20 posted:

The manga is far and away the best iteration of Xros Wars in basically every aspect. Yes, even with the skeevy poo poo. Xros Wars the anime was pretty drat dire.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

As a counterpoint, I found the manga gross and inappropriate as a Digimon story, and it coasts by on throwing out a deluge of nostalgic references. There’s only two things I’d say the manga does better and that’s Bagramon and Taiki’s backstory. Aside from that, neither it or the anime is really worth your time.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I loving love the Xros Wars anime but Time Hunters can burn in a fire.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Onmi posted:

I loving love the Xros Wars anime but Time Hunters can burn in a fire.

It was my first Digimon anime, and while I will admit it's definitely not the strongest of them (Adventure is so goddamn charming, and Tamers has the best writing), I do still on occasion rewatch it when I'm in the mood for something brainless.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Xros Wars is good. It's not the best, but it has very strong competition. It's very far from the worst, although it has very strong competition there too, sadly. It's probably my choice for a mid-tier Digimon show: fun and mostly well-written, but with some clear flaws that stop it from being among the best. The Xros Wars manga stands above it but also isn't on my "best Digimon" list.

This is, of course, not counting Hunters. Hunters is, in my opinion, the single worst anime Digimon's produced. I'll never count it as XS3W no matter what Toei says, it is its own thing and it is a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I forget, was season 1 or 2 of Xros Wars the good one? Trying to figure out where it fits on the odd season good, even season bad trend.