Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I started reading the post-Zero Hour run and it's delightful. It reminds me a bit of Busiek's Avengers or Thunderbolts, just densely plotted but lightly handled comics that are more than happy to be superhero stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

How Wonderful! posted:

I started reading the post-Zero Hour run and it's delightful. It reminds me a bit of Busiek's Avengers or Thunderbolts, just densely plotted but lightly handled comics that are more than happy to be superhero stories.

It's so good. Alan Davis did some amazing covers for that era.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Rhyno posted:

It's so good. Alan Davis did some amazing covers for that era.

You're telling me. LoSH #80: this is such a good cover, and such a good condensation of the brightness and verve I'm loving about these comics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

How Wonderful! posted:

You're telling me. LoSH #80: this is such a good cover, and such a good condensation of the brightness and verve I'm loving about these comics.

That's the very one I had in mind! My older sister had access to an enormous printer back in the day and had that made for me into a 6 foot banner. I have no idea what happened to it though.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
About 6 months ago I decided to try the Legion without any knowledge of the team. The thread recommended I just go ahead with the Threeboot and if I liked that to go back to ZH. Threeboot was fantastic.

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017
I fell down the Legion rabbit hole earlier this year and heartily recommend it to everyone.

Does anyone know how the Threeboot got over when it was "current"? I enjoyed it as a fresh take on the concept (though not as challenging a swerve as, say, 5YL), but I'd be curious how the fanbase reacted at the time. It follows fairly close on the heels of the...Abnett? era of the ZH reboot, right?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
It was considered pretty good at the time but it didn't shock the industry with success or anything.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Suicide Squad still rolling good and we get the start of a little arc giving Digger a chance to be competent. Amethyst seems to be explicitly trying to subvert the original setting which is a new direction, I guess.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Whatever happened to the Johns Shazam book?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dawgstar posted:

Whatever happened to the Johns Shazam book?

Art delays. It’s on issue 11

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I finally got around to reading Frank Miller's recent Superman Year One and it's really terrible!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

I finally got around to reading Frank Miller's recent Superman Year One and it's really terrible!

Is the bit where he joins the loving Marines as terrible as it first sounded, or is it even worse?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Is the bit where he joins the loving Marines as terrible as it first sounded, or is it even worse?

Worse! And then he's like Aquaman for some reason and bangs a mermaid.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Worse! And then he's like Aquaman for some reason and bangs a mermaid.

That's actually a call back to some silver age weirdness, he had a third girlfriend beyond Lana Lang and Lois Lane that was a mermaid also with the initials L.L. I don't remember the actual name though

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

That's actually a call back to some silver age weirdness, he had a third girlfriend beyond Lana Lang and Lois Lane that was a mermaid also with the initials L.L. I don't remember the actual name though

Lori Lemaris.

But it's super fuckin weird in this mini and I hate it

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012
Anyone else noticed that Diamond has stopped receiving product for the direct market?

https://www.newsarama.com/49538-diamond-comics-distributors-ceases-receiving-products-for-distribution-due-to-coronavirus-report.html

On the plus side, I might get caught up on my months-long backlog of comics to read!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

Anyone else noticed that Diamond has stopped receiving product for the direct market?

https://www.newsarama.com/49538-diamond-comics-distributors-ceases-receiving-products-for-distribution-due-to-coronavirus-report.html

On the plus side, I might get caught up on my months-long backlog of comics to read!

A global pandemic has disrupted the supply chains and nonessential businesses have been shut down to limit the public's exposure to the spreading virus.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

Yes, there's a global pandemic. I'm glad you woke up from your coma. Your bed will be needed for COVID-19 patients.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012
Thanks for pointing out the obvious. My point was simply to post that this thing, relevant to DC Comics distribution, had occurred and might be of interest.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
It's more that you posted a bit of news five days after it was reported related to the single biggest news story on the entire planet at the moment and treated it like no one had heard this crazy thing about the hobby they're passionate enough to discuss about on an internet forum. No one has brought it up in this thread because it's been talked about in pretty much every other relevant thread on this subforum and it's certainly bigger than DC.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Man, DC doing digital releases is a pretty bold attack on the direct market. No wonder they didn't say poo poo when the entire rest of the industry was coming together in solidarity.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

It's more that you posted a bit of news five days after it was reported related to the single biggest news story on the entire planet at the moment and treated it like no one had heard this crazy thing about the hobby they're passionate enough to discuss about on an internet forum. No one has brought it up in this thread because it's been talked about in pretty much every other relevant thread on this subforum and it's certainly bigger than DC.

This is the only thread in this sub forum I follow and didn’t see it mentioned. Sorry.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Man, DC doing digital releases is a pretty bold attack on the direct market. No wonder they didn't say poo poo when the entire rest of the industry was coming together in solidarity.

well they just caved in apparently

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Anyone remember the outsider from flashpoint?

Lol that stupid crossover.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

site fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 9, 2020

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

Anyone remember flashpoint?

Nope cause gently caress that hack job of an "event"

Goddamn this is brutally true. :drat:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

:perfect:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Are there any comics where Constantine interacts with the Lucifer from Sandman and the Mike Carey series? Because it's obviously a different character from the Ennis run and a bunch of the Rebirth stuff had Vertigo and especially Sandman stuff and John Constantine interacting more with the Cape and Cowl stuff.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

Are there any comics where Constantine interacts with the Lucifer from Sandman and the Mike Carey series? Because it's obviously a different character from the Ennis run and a bunch of the Rebirth stuff had Vertigo and especially Sandman stuff and John Constantine interacting more with the Cape and Cowl stuff.

Nope. Lucifer has retired and that’s why the first of the fallen was created

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well, actually, the "current" Lucifer in DC's Vertigo Comics has recently met "Constantine" in the current (and quite good) Lucifer series by Dan Watters, most pertinently in issues 14 and 15.

Now...whether or not this Lucifer is the Mike Carey Lucifer is up for debate, considering the Mike Carey Lucifer flew off to another Creation at the end of his series (spoilers!), but he's definitely intended to be the Lucifer of Vertigo Comics in most ways that matter (gave up rulership of Hell to Morpheus, buggered off, ran a piano bar with Mazikeen, etc). And whether or not this Constantine is the Constantine we know is definitely questionable, since this one was one plucked, moments before his death, out from the apocalyptic timeline where Tim Hunter became evil...but yes, technically, Lucifer and Constantine have met. :xd:

Current Vertigo continuity is...fun. Pretty much think of it as a soft reboot.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rhyno posted:

Lori Lemaris.

But it's super fuckin weird in this mini and I hate it
What's he do with it? I remember it was wholesome in the original because Clark was seriously considering popping the question. Now there's an AU I don't think anyone has done yet.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Well, actually, the "current" Lucifer in DC's Vertigo Comics has recently met "Constantine" in the current (and quite good) Lucifer series by Dan Watters, most pertinently in issues 14 and 15.

Now...whether or not this Lucifer is the Mike Carey Lucifer is up for debate, considering the Mike Carey Lucifer flew off to another Creation at the end of his series (spoilers!), but he's definitely intended to be the Lucifer of Vertigo Comics in most ways that matter (gave up rulership of Hell to Morpheus, buggered off, ran a piano bar with Mazikeen, etc). And whether or not this Constantine is the Constantine we know is definitely questionable, since this one was one plucked, moments before his death, out from the apocalyptic timeline where Tim Hunter became evil...but yes, technically, Lucifer and Constantine have met. :xd:

Current Vertigo continuity is...fun. Pretty much think of it as a soft reboot.

I think the continuity is probably just the book of acts but that is the sort of answer I was looking for.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/stevewmorris/status/1250439679381368832

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Didn’t the giant penny come from a story where Two Face straps Batman to it and flips it?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Don't be foolish, it was a trophy from Batman thwarting The Penny Plunderer, whose crime symbol was PENNIES. A Two Face trophy/crime symbol would be... faces?

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 15, 2020

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Ahh. You’re right. I think that was just an episode of the animated series.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Edge & Christian posted:

Don't be foolish, it was a trophy from Batman thwarting The Penny Plunderer, whose crime symbol was PENNIES. A Two Face trophy/crime symbol would be... faces?

If ever there was a villain in need of a gritty reboot

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Madkal posted:

If ever there was a villain in need of a gritty reboot
There were some rights issues, but I believe this started as a Penny Plunderer: Year One film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9aM_dT5VMI

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I'm more familiar with the gritty aughts reboot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0wWvyJz9VI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

DC Rebirth Penny Plunderer will have his origin modeled after another one of Batman's greatest rogues:

"Wanna know how I got these pennies?"