Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

blackguy32 posted:

I feel like I am lost. How do most of yall gear up? I am at the endgame but I really don't know what I should be doing to gear up or start with a build. Do you just look up a build and then set out to get it?

I have hardly any exotic weapons and all the ones I do have are pretty underleveled.

You can ignore exotics for the most part.

To start a build you have to think about some things:

- what do you want to do? Weapon damage (like rifles and ARs)? Skill build? Tank?
- figure out which talent you want on your chest and backpack, depending on if you want weapon damage, survivability, skill damage etc
- figure out which brands you want for that. example get overlord for the 10% rifle bonus if you're using rifles, providence is a great weapon damage brand, then theres gila/golan for tanking, china/wyvern/etc for skills.
- figure out which minor attributes you need (for example crit chance/damage for weapon builds, skill damage/status effects/skill hast for skills) etc
- figure out which skills you want, even more important if you're a skill user becase you will want minor attributes that benefit the skills you're going to use.

As you can see it's pretty much all color coded. As long as you choose talents that benefit your playstyle, stacking more of the color you want will push you in the direction you want. Just don't neglect your talent and brand choices because they are important.

If you want to look up a build that's fine too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

nerdz posted:

You can ignore exotics for the most part.

To start a build you have to think about some things:

- what do you want to do? Weapon damage (like rifles and ARs)? Skill build? Tank?
- figure out which talent you want on your chest and backpack, depending on if you want weapon damage, survivability, skill damage etc
- figure out which brands you want for that. example get overlord for the 10% rifle bonus if you're using rifles, providence is a great weapon damage brand, then theres gila/golan for tanking, china/wyvern/etc for skills.
- figure out which minor attributes you need (for example crit chance/damage for weapon builds, skill damage/status effects/skill hast for skills) etc
- figure out which skills you want, even more important if you're a skill user becase you will want minor attributes that benefit the skills you're going to use.

As you can see it's pretty much all color coded. As long as you choose talents that benefit your playstyle, stacking more of the color you want will push you in the direction you want. Just don't neglect your talent and brand choices because they are important.

If you want to look up a build that's fine too.

Hmm... I do most of my damage with assault rifles and rifles. My skills are mainly for healing and reviving mainly because I mostly play solo.

I guess I can jump back in and try tinkering around with what I find. How important are skill tiers to someone who really only uses them to self heal?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

blackguy32 posted:

Hmm... I do most of my damage with assault rifles and rifles. My skills are mainly for healing and reviving mainly because I mostly play solo.

I guess I can jump back in and try tinkering around with what I find. How important are skill tiers to someone who really only uses them to self heal?

For now I would recommend you ride the M1A gravy train together with the rest of us while it lasts.

Skills: Revive Hive and Crusader Shield
Gun: M1A, the more damage, the better, use an 8x scope for the bonus from Focused, since aiming with the shield out, still adds the bonus.
Face: Coyote Mask from the Season 1 rewards

Chest piece with Focused, Backpack with Vigilance, all red, stack damage, crit and critD (keep in mind crit % hard cap is 60%).

And then just farm what you want to build: tech, some kind of assault spec or tank.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

blackguy32 posted:

How important are skill tiers to someone who really only uses them to self heal?

not very. stack reds to do more damage. heal hive will still work at 0 skill tier, and your heal drone will eventually patch you up. It's not going to save you from burst dps, but nothing saves you from burst dps right now - this is why the latest state of the game called out that time to be killed is on the to-fix list.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

BexGu posted:

If I mostly just run around solo what is a good gear set/specialization to go for? I mostly went Firewall with at least 2 pieces of System Corruption and 4 pieces of Striker and while that works great on Story/Normal its not that great on Harder and higher.

I enjoy Firewall for its armor kit and a few other perks though I miss having even a mildly effective special weapon. Things like wiping out regular enemies with the grenade launcher and ignoring an explosion every 60 seconds also makes demolitionist a good general choice.

Gear sets are your major problem, they aren't in a good place at the moment. Some of their talents are buggy or just aren't powerful enough to justify losing regular brand bonuses and a minor attribute. Strikers works but you're very fragile so it doesn't work great for solo and there are some bugs that can make you "miss" without actually missing. Solo mostly comes down to stacking either skill tiers (reinforced by skill haste and skill damage/status effects, depending on your choice of skills, as minor attributes) or weapon damage (reinforced by critical chance and damage as minor attributes). Armor regen doesn't go amiss in a solo build, it won't save you if you're getting shot but it can let you shoot back faster. You can also have 1 armor roll somewhere in a weapon damage build if you need an extra second to survive.

Use the brands which give bonuses that help your choice in damage (skills or guns). If you're using guns the Coyote exotic mask from the season track is a very good mask.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

blackguy32 posted:

In your case a good thing to do would be focusing on rifles right now, as hammerstein said. There's something weird going on with ARs right now, damage wise and rifles are performing better. There's the classic M1A which is a rather solid rifle to use right now. You get one for free (called "baker's dozen") on the season rewards. This week you can also get a fox's prayer kneepad from the clan vendor and recalibrate skill damage to critical hit chance. That will boost your damage by quite a bit. After that, focus on getting gear with the brands you want, recalibrating critical chance/critical damage over attributes that you don't need and start thinking about some good talents to use.

You don't really need skill tiers but I'd heavily recommend running the technician specialization for the free skill tier. That will boost your healing by a decent amount with almost no investment on your part.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 21, 2020

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Do the new york faction keys also drop from the DC underground key boxes now?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

How many loving guards did this Emeline character have

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Do the new york faction keys also drop from the DC underground key boxes now?

No, DC faction keys only drop in DC and same for NYC. Black Tusk keys drop in both locations because they show up in both (Cleaners in DC is a special season thing so they don't count).

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
In reply to people on their forums bitching that all their Control Points are green now.

"This behaviour is actually working as intended. Since the WONY launch, regular control points remain captured and won't be overrun."

Also

"Although I'm not sure on the reason behind this design change, I have been able to learn more which I hope will help.

It was previously possible to reset control points included in manhunt, however this has been disabled temporarily as it was not working as intended.

We will make changes to allow players to change the Global Difficulty and reset all Control Points on the map, without affecting the Seasonal Manhunt. We are working on this right now and will provide you with updates on the progress."

https://forums.ubisoft.com/showthread.php/2203989-All-Control-Points-are-now-green

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

OgNar posted:

We will make changes to allow players to change the Global Difficulty and reset all Control Points on the map, without affecting the Seasonal Manhunt. We are working on this right now and will provide you with updates on the progress."

This is what they actually promised in the days before the release and didn't deliver because it was probably a communication error. Hopefully we'll get it soon, there's nothing to do in NYC

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

I got my SHD boxes, and then hosed off from NYC forever

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Hakarne posted:

My first pestilence was given to me by a pubbie I was running with. It had 8% dmg and like 7% dmg to targets out of cover. So I went hunting for a second one with better rolls and it dropped.

9% dmg and 8% dmg to targets out of cover. Well played, game. Well played. I can't complain because it's technically an upgrade. :v:

This is my fourth level 40 Sweet Dreams. Each time I get one the rolls improve by 1%. :suicide:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I like doing casual sweeps through the NY sewers for random looting, dipping out for Territory Control.
I seem to get a ton more keys in NY sewers than in DC.
Last I saw i had like 20 black tusk keys.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Hammerstein posted:

For now I would recommend you ride the M1A gravy train together with the rest of us while it lasts.

Skills: Revive Hive and Crusader Shield
Gun: M1A, the more damage, the better, use an 8x scope for the bonus from Focused, since aiming with the shield out, still adds the bonus.
Face: Coyote Mask from the Season 1 rewards

Chest piece with Focused, Backpack with Vigilance, all red, stack damage, crit and critD (keep in mind crit % hard cap is 60%).

And then just farm what you want to build: tech, some kind of assault spec or tank.

yeah just did a challenging on this build and got 2100M dmg so yeah
What's the best talent for a rifle/marksman to go with this?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Quantum Shart posted:

Boomerang, since lucky shot doesn't trigger from a shield

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Quantum Shart posted:

I love Boomerang, if you are really, really good at aiming you could use Rifleman as alternative.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Just duoed Kragov with some pubbie on his first run.
He was using the Chem launcher corrosive.
Fastest i've ever seen Kragov and friends go down.

I got poo poo for drops though.

https://i.imgur.com/itTb0Yh.gifv

OgNar fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 22, 2020

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

nerdz posted:

This is what they actually promised in the days before the release and didn't deliver because it was probably a communication error. Hopefully we'll get it soon, there's nothing to do in NYC

This is the biggest problem with the expansion imo. All of the post story content is in DC... WHY?

NY needs Blacktusk invasions, and needs some of the manhunts to be there and not DC. We've spent a year in DC already, lets do something interesting with the NY map.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

East coast infrastructure really sucks.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I hope they go back to the old TTK before the expansion patch came out. Playing with four friends in pre-expansion content is just stupid around world tier 1. Basic enemies require a full magazine and gold tier dudes require a tactical nuke and the power of an exploding sun to drop. It's getting supremely tedious.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Jimbot posted:

I hope they go back to the old TTK before the expansion patch came out.

That'd be great, but you'll be waiting another 4+ months. Their history suggests that eventually the fun will be patched back in, but you must suffer first because reasons.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

The Locator posted:

East coast infrastructure really sucks.

Try moving around while shield is deployed. Even climbing stairs or ledge is impossible.

Aaaaaand another weapon damage glitch is currently active :stare:. I doubt this will get patched within next 24 hours though.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Aesis posted:

Try moving around while shield is deployed. Even climbing stairs or ledge is impossible.

Aaaaaand another weapon damage glitch is currently active :stare:. I doubt this will get patched within next 24 hours though.

That new glitch is good enough to kill a 4p heroic judge heavy that jumps down through the backwall of the courtroom before he hits the ground

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

I got my SHD boxes, and then hosed off from NYC forever

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
LMG's targeted in dz east, guess it's time to farm me a pestilence for my patriot tank build. I really need contractors gloves too, but just stacking crit chance and strained has been enough for now so those can wait.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Mar 22, 2020

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

ah yes math. No other weapon seems to do that

Where can I find a never-ending supply of elite outcast?

Jusupov fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 22, 2020

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jusupov posted:

ah yes math. No other weapon seems to do that

Where can I find a never-ending supply of elite outcast?

You probably have a magazine size% modifier active like True Patriot or in your currently equipped weapon. They also affect magazine size mods.

EDIT: It's perfect lucky shot actually

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Aesis posted:

What’s the glitch. Share with the class.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Jimbot posted:

I hope they go back to the old TTK before the expansion patch came out. Playing with four friends in pre-expansion content is just stupid around world tier 1. Basic enemies require a full magazine and gold tier dudes require a tactical nuke and the power of an exploding sun to drop. It's getting supremely tedious.

What’s your build?

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Thinking I’ll pick up the expansion today as I can’t really find anything else to play right now. I played this when it first came out and then dropped it after a few weeks so I know a lot has changed.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

What’s your build?

We're at level 30 right now about to hit the strongholds, so we don't have much thought put into builds. Most of my gear has +1 skill tier and have been acting as a support with a heal drone and a hive for attacking. I think it might have been one of the bounties we got was way overtuned but in general, things are just bullet sponges. Even while playing solo I noticed this post-patch. Was really having a blast with the game before then, now it's still fun but I'm less enthusiastic about it.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jimbot posted:

We're at level 30 right now about to hit the strongholds, so we don't have much thought put into builds. Most of my gear has +1 skill tier and have been acting as a support with a heal drone and a hive for attacking. I think it might have been one of the bounties we got was way overtuned but in general, things are just bullet sponges. Even while playing solo I noticed this post-patch. Was really having a blast with the game before then, now it's still fun but I'm less enthusiastic about it.

Bounties usually have higher difficulties that are not tuned to an unoptimized build. Just rush the strongholds and once you're done with them start the NYC campaign

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
One thing I really appreciate about this update is how they worked to increase build diversity. Now we have Glass Cannon, Glass Cannon and Glass Cannon. Then there's Glass Cannon and Glass Cannon. And of course not to forget Glass Cannon.

Edit: Just rembered, also Glass Cannon.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 22, 2020

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

GhostDog posted:

One thing I really appreciate about this update is how they worked to increase build diversity. Now we have Glass Cannon, Glass Cannon and Glass Cannon. Then there's Glass Cannon and Glass Cannon. And of course not to forget Glass Cannon.

Edit: Just rembered, also Glass Cannon.

Only boring people run minmaxed all damage no survivability builds. I run a tank support build primarily and a healer/skill dps hybrid as a secondary, both are very strong. Even on my all reds pvp build I run unbreakable over glass cannon which feels way stronger. Most gearsets are also viable, even a lot of the bugged ones.

Build diversity is solid right now, and it will probably be amazing when they get around to tuning the difficulty and fixing the gearsets.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

tweet my meat posted:

Only boring people run minmaxed all damage no survivability builds. I run a tank support build primarily and a healer/skill dps hybrid as a secondary, both are very strong. Even on my all reds pvp build I run unbreakable over glass cannon which feels way stronger. Most gearsets are also viable, even a lot of the bugged ones.

Build diversity is solid right now, and it will probably be amazing when they get around to tuning the difficulty and fixing the gearsets.

I play solo only, not sure if any of those builds would help me. How do you get the healing to a point where it even makes a difference? I'm at skill 5 (4+1 from Technician) and my drone does gently caress all if I face Elites, it's just good enough to heal me up between waves.

Edit: This is on challenging.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Cyrano4747 posted:

What’s the glitch. Share with the class.

Someone posted this much on reddit

"PSA - the new weapon glitch, just do it once, your hand will keep grabbing, it keeps stacking."

rest of the post was removed. So maybe it's the old exploit but you only do it that way?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

GhostDog posted:

I play solo only, not sure if any of those builds would help me. How do you get the healing to a point where it even makes a difference? I'm at skill 5 (4+1 from Technician) and my drone does gently caress all if I face Elites, it's just good enough to heal me up between waves.

Edit: This is on challenging.

My tank build solos challenging with ease, though an unbreakable chestpiece would probably be more optimal for solo than the tardigrade that I use which is where a lot of the support part comes from. Essentially it uses 6 armor rolls, the maxed bulwark shield, and revive hive in addition to the unbreakable/tardigrade bonus armor for insane survivability and stacks crit chance on the secondary attributes with strained on an lmg for damage. The damage is mediocre but you're nearly unkillable.

For healing I like the hive or chem launcher a lot better than the drone since the heals are a lot stronger at the cost of being stationary or manually deployed, the drone is best at keeping you topped off while staying mobile.

Honestly though you're probably better off just focusing on your skill damage with something like the mortar or sniper turret for solo play and keeping the healing as a secondary focus. I run my hybrid with the healer hive and mortar turret, 6 skill tier with most of my gear pieces focused on skill damage and my gear mods focused on skill repair. The mortar turret can be your main damage source easily with hard wired or a bunch of skill haste and it does really good damage while allowing you to stay safely behind cover. There's a ton of good skill talents as well that are all more or less good, I run the named china light backpack with perfect shock and awe and a tamper proof chestpiece which can stun rushers and tanks. The sniper turret is your best bet if you prefer technician over demo.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 22, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Jimbot posted:

We're at level 30 right now about to hit the strongholds, so we don't have much thought put into builds.

Here’s your problem.

Look up thread a few pages and there are some easy builds you can do on the cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

tweet my meat posted:

My tank build solos challenging with ease, though an unbreakable chestpiece would probably be more optimal for solo than the tardigrade that I use which is where a lot of the support part comes from. Essentially it uses 6 armor rolls, the maxed bulwark shield, and revive hive in addition to the unbreakable/tardigrade bonus armor for insane survivability and stacks crit chance on the secondary attributes with strained on an lmg for damage. The damage is mediocre but you're nearly unkillable.

For healing I like the hive or chem launcher a lot better than the drone since the heals are a lot stronger at the cost of being stationary or manually deployed, the drone is best at keeping you topped off while staying mobile.

Honestly though you're probably better off just focusing on your skill damage with something like the mortar or sniper turret for solo play and keeping the healing as a secondary focus. I run my hybrid with the healer hive and mortar turret, 6 skill tier with most of my gear pieces focused on skill damage and my gear mods focused on skill repair. The mortar turret can be your main damage source easily with hard wired or a bunch of skill haste and it does really good damage while allowing you to stay safely behind cover. There's a ton of good skill talents as well that are all more or less good, I run the named china light backpack with perfect shock and awe and a tamper proof chestpiece which can stun rushers and tanks. The sniper turret is your best bet if you prefer technician over demo.

Hmm, gonna give that a try though I suspect that playstyle will feel too passive to me. I just want to be able to shoot things and not die within a quarter second if I'm out of cover. My build is fine on hard and I'd be happy to stay on hard a bit longer to improve my build, it's just that you don't get poo poo for drops on hard it seems so I feel kinda stuck.

Still, thanks.