Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
End the season now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
hey, look, it's st kilda

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yeah the girls!

Five on the trot for the blues. Big game in the prelim final against North.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
We're gonna get beat by a team with 1 fit player on the bench. Unbelievable.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Incredible last minute from north there

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

the whiz kid
lmao cancel football forever imo

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Seeing as the state governments are all putting in place wider shutdowns in the next few days, today's going to be the last day of footy we'll see for a while.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

The Deadly Hume posted:

Seeing as the state governments are all putting in place wider shutdowns in the next few days, today's going to be the last day of footy we'll see for a while.

Too late imo.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yep, make it a good one please hawks

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
https://twitter.com/FOXFOOTY/status/1241593742659735552?s=19

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Good.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

No AFLW premiers this year, title is being left vacant

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

Good timing, just after Melbourne wins its first ever final.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I feel really bad for the girls, it should have been prelims this weekend North v Blues and Freo v GWS.

Oh well, at least we did get these final four games this weekend.

NTRabbit posted:

This might mean the final 3 games of the season could go ahead at the start of next year in pre-season. Unlikely, but it might happen.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is there a reason why the women’s can’t just be delayed as well? I’m sure they would be happy to come back to play finals in a few months

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The contracts end for the women in April.

Yes, that is somewhat minor given they could be extended for 3 weeks later on this year. But they've called it off. I suppose that decision could be reversed in November/December and play the remaining 3 games in the leadup to the 2021 season.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

drunkill posted:

I feel really bad for the girls, it should have been prelims this weekend North v Blues and Freo v GWS.

Why not just a north v freo grand final?

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Women's season cancelled, no premiership to be awarded to anyone

E: everyone is all over that already I see

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Solemn Sloth posted:

Why not just a north v freo grand final?

We won't know which team was best. Freo didn't play North, Carlton or Melbourne.

North didn't play Carlton either.

Freo are only ontop of the ladder because they didn't yet play Melbourne or Carlton in the regular season, they wouldn't have won both games, maybe one of them.

A North v Freo grand final this weekend would have been unfair or tainted anyway.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

drunkill posted:

Yes, that is somewhat minor given they could be extended for 3 weeks later on this year. But they've called it off. I suppose that decision could be reversed in November/December and play the remaining 3 games in the leadup to the 2021 season.

They're not going to resume a season/finals 9 months later come on

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

drunkill posted:

We won't know which team was best. Freo didn't play North, Carlton or Melbourne.

North didn't play Carlton either.

Freo are only ontop of the ladder because they didn't yet play Melbourne or Carlton in the regular season, they wouldn't have won both games, maybe one of them.

A North v Freo grand final this weekend would have been unfair or tainted anyway.

Which presumably is why they decided to go with more teams in than originally planned rather than less

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yep, 5 or 6 teams were legitimate contenders, so the top 8 got through to the finals.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

https://www.afl.com.au/news/389109/-most-serious-threat-in-100-years-afl-postpones-season

The season is postponed.

I'm sure realbez will tell us this is an over reaction, etc etc :rolleyes:

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ok champ thanks for dropping by

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

realbez posted:

Ok champ thanks for dropping by

:bravo:

It was a waste of time starting up the season, no real economic benefit to either the AFL or the states it was played in due to the lack of crowds and the money they spend. All it has done is made the AFL look like fools, similar to what happened to the FIA at the Melbourne GP. They should've pulled the pin like other sporting leagues have. It was stubborn idiots that has got us here.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I'd have preferred they just put all the players in bubbles and only let them out for games

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Lol Brisbane sux

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

You Am I posted:

:bravo:

It was a waste of time starting up the season, no real economic benefit to either the AFL or the states it was played in due to the lack of crowds and the money they spend. All it has done is made the AFL look like fools, similar to what happened to the FIA at the Melbourne GP. They should've pulled the pin like other sporting leagues have. It was stubborn idiots that has got us here.

They did what they said they would do, mate.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

monolithburger posted:

So, you guys stockpile any good soft drinks?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
As for the AFLW, this is why they didn't just go to a North v Freo grand final.

(top six determined by premiership points)

CARL: 1-1 (24-39, 40-24)
COLL: 1-3 (39-24, 30-33, 26-46, 32-34)
FREM: 1-0 (33-30)
GWS: 0-2 (19-37, 26-29)
KANG: 2-1 (20-22, 37-19, 34-32)
MELB: 3-1 (22-20, 46-26, 24-40, 29-26)

Far too inconsistent without the regular season being played out, not to mention conferences making things difficult again.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Man I really jinxed it with the thread title.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

drunkill posted:

Yep, 5 or 6 teams were legitimate contenders, so the top 8 got through to the finals.

They were never going to admit their conferences are garbage, so it was always going to be an even number from either side.

Melbourne can make a real claim that they should be given a berth despite losing to carlton the week before. Borne out by them winning their semi.

Collingwood can make a real claim to a berth because they were every chance of pipping Melbourne over the last two rounds. Borne out by them getting within 2 points of the top Conference A team.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

OK given that there will be no footy to talk about in over the next few months, here is a footy question I have been thinking about:

Who is the best bloke in football? Current or otherwise.

Or alternatively, who is a footballer, (current or otherwise), that nobody has a bad thing to say about? Both players and opposing fans. Who has gone, not only scandal free, but has/is actively doing good things?

Of current players, the best I can think of off the top of my head is EDDIE BETTS! And of previous generations, Jim Stynes was universally loved.

But I am sure there are others.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Sam Docherty.

VVV He's retired. But sure.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 22, 2020

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bob Murphy?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Shaun Burgoyne!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

BrigadierSensible posted:

OK given that there will be no footy to talk about in over the next few months, here is a footy question I have been thinking about :

Who is the best bloke in football? Current or otherwise.

Or alternatively, who is a footballer, (current or otherwise), that nobody has a bad thing to say about? Both players and opposing fans. Who has gone, not only scandal free, but has/is actively doing good things?

Of current players, the best I can think of off the top of my head is EDDIE BETTS! And of previous generations, Jim Stynes was universally loved.

But I am sure there are others.

Clayton oliver

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

lol forgot we picked up Mitch Brown

Good to see the long tradition of spud key forwards getting a demons guernsey continues

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

the whiz kid
Lenny Hayes best football bloke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

monolithburger posted:

End the season now.