Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

As was rumored, Mazda and Joest are breaking up and Multimatic (who was supporting the Ford GTs) is going to run Mazdas DPis now. If we have a season this year.

https://racer.com/2020/03/19/mazda-confirms-multimatic-switch/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Multimatic also developed the cars with Mazda.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
The cars will be running as Mazda Motorsports, not Mazda Team Multimatic or anything. Pretty typical of Multimatic at this point, they don't advertise much.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Can someone give me, a casual observer, a rundown on why the Joest program was so hosed from start to finish?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Basticle posted:

Can someone give me, a casual observer, a rundown on why the Joest program was so hosed from start to finish?

Mazda signed with Joest because Joest sold them a bill of materials (multiple 24H Le Mans Winning team, literal miracle workers) that they couldn't fulfill. To make a baseball analogy, they signed a pitcher who was off their peak, who told them they totally still had what it took to pitch a hitless game in the World Series.

It didn't help that the platform itself was hosed thanks to the Riley x Multimatic design incorporating awful loving poo poo into the LMP2 chassis (A loving indycar suspension from the 1990s, abysmal cooling that kept blowing up the turbocharged engines, etc.), once Multimatic took over the drivers seat on platform design they really turned poo poo around, but once that happened, the boat anchor that was the Joest Racing program started dragging the team back, and Mazda realized that the real miracle workers were Multimatic who redesigned their DPi platform. After that, John Doonan had a big falling out with Ralf Jüttner, and basically sent him packing, and then started putting Multimatic team members in the important seats.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 20, 2020

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Wait, what do you mean the director of IMSA started doing personnel changes in Joest?

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Basticle posted:

Wait, what do you mean the director of IMSA started doing personnel changes in Joest?

John Doonan was in charge of Mazda Motorsports before he got the job of IMSA President after last season ended

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

an oddly awful oud posted:

John Doonan was in charge of Mazda Motorsports before he got the job of IMSA President after last season ended

ah ok

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqyjMw3XzrY

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I see your Super Sebring and raise you a true 12 hour classic, Dinner with Racers’ Pooper Sebring:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-P0f53FMgg

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

harperdc posted:

I see your Super Sebring and raise you a true 12 hour classic, Dinner with Racers’ Pooper Sebring:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-P0f53FMgg

Complete with uninterested middle management hanging out in green park, and dancing Hep C!

Also Ryan Eversely looking exactly like paul f tompkins.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

this is awesome

chat is brutal though

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

World Superbike has uploaded an awesome race to their YT channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbKlR2TXpn0

Come for Neil Hodgson praying against the wall, stay for a phenomenal battle for the race and championship.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 25, 2020

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

hunnert car pileup posted:

World Superbike has uploaded an awesome race to their YT channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbKlR2TXpn0

Come for Neil Hodgson praying against the wall, stay for a phenomenal battle for the race and championship.

I love WSBK highlights so much. I will fall down a rabbit hole of watching Max Biaggi for DAYS. Like, never was a fan of his when he battled with Rossi in MotoGP but his riding style is almost lyrical. Love watching The Corsair nowadays.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
See if you can find Max in the 250cc era, he was amazing then. mid-late 90s 500cc wasn't fun but 250cc was loving amazing. Rossi/Biaggi/Kato/Waldmann, and Tetsuya Harada, who continuously gets underrated as one of the best 90s Japanese bike racers.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

See if you can find Max in the 250cc era, he was amazing then. mid-late 90s 500cc wasn't fun but 250cc was loving amazing. Rossi/Biaggi/Kato/Waldmann, and Tetsuya Harada, who continuously gets underrated as one of the best 90s Japanese bike racers.

over the weekend was out and about and saw a dude in an RV with a Daijiro Kato 74 sticker on the back window :japan:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm a big fan of that 2001 250cc season that's basically Kato vs Harada. I actually thought there was a bigger age gap between them, though it was "only" 6 years, but it still did come across as one of the best older Japanese riders passing the torch to the best young one.

The 1993 "FIM GP" (held in Jarama to replace a canceled race) where Harada won the 250cc title is amazing, by the way. Find highlights if you can.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
There is a Kato Shrine at Suzuka.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Super Formula testing. Toyota and Hirakawa on top for day one, Fukuzumi and Honda for day two. The season also sees the return of 3 car teams due to Team LeMans dropping out of the series.

Calderon also is competing with Drago Corse Honda. She’s been way off the pace - hopefully she fairs better than Tristan Charpentier.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Feels Villeneuve posted:

MotoGP has made their video stuff free for the time being, but most of the 250cc stuff from the 90s is in highlight form. Harada indeed owned and also got completely hosed out of the '98 title.

The 500cc era back then was p dreadful with Doohan laying waste to everyone, but '99 has quite a few really fun races.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Frond posted:

Super Formula testing. Toyota and Hirakawa on top for day one, Fukuzumi and Honda for day two. The season also sees the return of 3 car teams due to Team LeMans dropping out of the series.

Calderon also is competing with Drago Corse Honda. She’s been way off the pace - hopefully she fairs better than Tristan Charpentier.

She won't.

I say this as someone who likes her, she's a proper racer doing it for the right reasons who deserves a good mid-level sportscar career.

But she was outclassed in Euro F3, in F3/GP3, utterly nowhere in F2 and she'll be the same in SF. She's simply racing above her level.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

As I make my way through the entirety of Dinner With Racers, there are constant oblique references to how they werent allowed to put up the John Dagys episode, has the reason ever leaked out?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Basticle posted:

As I make my way through the entirety of Dinner With Racers, there are constant oblique references to how they werent allowed to put up the John Dagys episode, has the reason ever leaked out?

I don’t think I’ve ever seen the reason. Somebody will have to track them down at a race and shake them down for it.

Speaking of these idiots,

https://twitter.com/DWRshow/status/1245100013341929472

Figured this would be catnip for goons if only because it’ll be called Thursday Night Blunder

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Double-posting, but it's actual news so it should count.

the FIA WEC has announced a target adjusted calendar for the rest of the season, with the events as follows comprising the end of the 2019-20 season:

• August 15, 2020 - 6 Hours of Spa
  • September 19-20, 2020 - 24 Hours of Le Mans
  • November 21, 2020 - 8 Hours of Bahrain

With the change of schedule, this also means the WEC will be ending the two-season 'winter schedule' experiment and returning to a calendar year schedule from 2021 forward. There's no confirmation, but the DSC link above speculates the season will start at Super Sebring 2021.

That 2021 season will also be the start for the LM Hypercars, pushing back to give everyone time to actually finish the drat things. Accordingly, changing from winter schedule then pushes the start of the LMDh era back to January 2022 and the Daytona 24 that season.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Last race of Marbula 1 today. Might be hard to match the excitement of the last race, but it'll be interesting to see if that bridge section causes any drop-outs.

I don't really care about who wins the championship, for me it's been all about watching Team Momo claw their way from the basement to semi-respectability.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It has been a hell of a redemption story for Team Momo, it has also brought out the realisation that the JMR glory seekers all get behind the O'rangers.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Balls of chaos my man. Clutter threw some disgusting blocks in that race

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

IMSA just canceled Belle Isle which is pretty much expected. The lack of racing or automotive news in general right now is killing me. God help me I’m starting to get into horology which is arguably an even more stupid, expensive, and pointless hobby than cars

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

an oddly awful oud posted:

IMSA just canceled Belle Isle which is pretty much expected. The lack of racing or automotive news in general right now is killing me. God help me I’m starting to get into horology which is arguably an even more stupid, expensive, and pointless hobby than cars

And promptly scheduled eraces on the same day as the ones already set up by people involved in the sport that have massive fan engagement.

gently caress imsa

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I'm rewatching last years nurburgring 24 because there's nothing else going on. Just got to the flaming ferrari

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I'm rewatching last years nurburgring 24 because there's nothing else going on. Just got to the flaming ferrari

rewatch the year before to catch a mechanic running down the side of the track with a bunch of tools in the dark to bolt a wheel back on a car.

Easily my favorite race, and racing moment ever.

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tA0n-wkHg8

the balls on that lad

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 7, 2020

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

And promptly scheduled eraces on the same day as the ones already set up by people involved in the sport that have massive fan engagement.

gently caress imsa

For reference, I believe F1 has worked with organisers of the various erace stuff outside their own official ones to make sure they're not overlapping so their guys can be in as many of them as possible. When you're being more controlling than Formula 1 you might have a problem.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://racer.com/2020/04/14/association-srt41-withdraws-from-le-mans/

:smith:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

That’s a shame but it’s even noted in there that they’ve immediately requested to take part in 2021.

I’m sure they’re not able to get ready due to the lockdown, and I would imagine they would want to take all precautions for health reasons as well. A shame, but I’d imagine they make it for 2021.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I approve of the further sphericalisation of motorsport.
https://twitter.com/EnvisionVirgin/status/1251056934133866497

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

njsykora posted:

I approve of the further sphericalisation of motorsport.
https://twitter.com/EnvisionVirgin/status/1251056934133866497

It started as a joke and now this is absolutely hilarious

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/17/us/coronavirus-ohio-racetrack-trnd/index.html

quote:

Summit Motorsports Park owner Bill Bader Jr. vowed to start holding events with or without government permission, in a Facebook live post earlier this week.

"I'm not asking, I'm opening," he said in the video and said that he thought that business closures were an overreaction. "If in Huron County, for example, we are able to save every life and limit and ultimately mitigate any outbreaks of Covid-19, but in the process of that we all starve to death, what have we accomplished."

great

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

This might be old news but just a PSA that the Hurley Haywood documentary "Hurley" is on Motor Trend On Demand.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Has he explained exactly how running cars in a circle stops starvation?

In fact, given America's insistence on fuelling race cars with corn it should make it more likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Dudley posted:

Has he explained exactly how running cars in a circle stops starvation?

Vortex effect