Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This looks special

https://twitter.com/timheidecker/status/1238649524203085824?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Tetramin posted:

I recently watched some videos on his channel of a standup set revolving around soda. It looks like he did the same routine like 5 nights in a row at the same club. They're loving great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKtvMkIPvFw

This stand up series is kinda like early episodes of on cinema where each episode is kinda structurally identical and a big part of the humor comes from seeing the material gradually mutate

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://twitter.com/jayhearn7/status/1238641673049079808?s=21

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I saw an episode at the Tim & Eric Mandatory Attendance Tour. It is exactly what you expect a Tim & Eric show to be. It is a lot more towards Eric's humor than Tim's.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

After so long spent watching almost exclusively Tim stuff, I kind of wonder how much of the stereotypical "Tim & Eric" aesthetic is really an Eric aesthetic.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Eric is more of the grossout/beauty-in-ugliness stuff

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Yeah the episode I saw was about Tim being super backed up poop wise. He just can't go. Eric's wife demands eric and the beef boys clean the house. Their hot neighbor comes over and flirts with Tim and invites him to her hot tub. He sticks a tube up his rear end connected to a hose to empty into Eric's guest bathroom. But the hose is too short and poo poo sprays everywhere and the beef boys have to work double time to clean it up.

Very Eric but Tim can play a clueless idiot like no one else.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

So Eric is generally the realm of the grotesque and bizarre, while Tim is the realm of the frighteningly real and small.

It's no wonder they are such a great comedy duo

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

He put his list together, and what a list it is!

https://twitter.com/greggturkington/status/1239379654395359233

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

runtime??

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://twitter.com/realJeremyOwens/status/1239578041581334529

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hope Axiom and Manuel are all right.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Axiom is all left I'm afraid

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Data Graham posted:

Axiom is all left I'm afraid

:golfclap:

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

How does he even find these movies

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Magissima posted:

How does he even find these movies

I mean he told you about his custom coding system so maybe you should listen when an expert is speaking? Geez

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I watched The Comedy the other day. It isn't part of the On Cinema universe but it contains both Tim and Gregg, so close enough. Anyway, that was a pretty bleak film. Tim is such a pathetic piece of poo poo in this, although in a much more normal sort of way compared to OC Tim. He sells the occasional moments of vulnerability too, I think he's a legit great actor. Entertainment by the same director and starring Gregg is also a good watch. I feel like I should revisit that one, I thought it was kind of beautiful.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

The part in The Comedy where he coldly watches his date have a seizure is some great acting by Heidecker.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't remember Gregg being in that

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I watched Entertainment and was kind of disappointed honestly. I'm not, like, adverse to art house stuff either. It just felt a little too self indulgent.

OT but has anyone here seen Quentin Dupieux's (aka Mr. Oizo) movies? Theyre absurd but dark and still cohesive plot wise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb069J3GPz0

Eric Wareheim was in one called Wrong Cops that was crazy, but I prefer Wrong.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I don't remember Gregg being in that

He has lunch with Tim and they talk about penises.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Didn't they start recording the original On Cinema podcast in between shoots on the set of The Comedy?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wonder what effect all these movie delays and productions halted will have on On Cinema.

In other news, episode 1 of Beef House is up.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

I wonder what effect all these movie delays and productions halted will have on On Cinema.

Well, it's not like they haven't reviewed canceled movies before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDUbtFKcf2M

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Chairman Capone posted:

Well, it's not like they haven't reviewed canceled movies before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDUbtFKcf2M

I didn't know this movie hadn't been released, wild. I believe they also reviewed Jupiter Ascending like a year before it was released because it got pushed back the same way.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

Popcorn classics reign

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Ingmar terdman posted:

Popcorn classics reign

Lol I am still in awe of greggs list of movies to watch during quarantine. The guy can review movies until the end of time with his library and Tim can continue not watching them.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Beef House was fine. Nothing they haven't pretty much done before. A laugh or two for me. Just glad to see Tim and Eric doing new stuff.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Did anybody catch the mandatory attendance tour? I wanted to go but they sold out my town by the time I could afford a couple tickets. I’m hoping they release a DVD of it or something but it doesn’t seem like they will.

I really like everything they do together, loved awesome show when it came out, but i recently rewatched a bunch of it and just didn’t enjoy it as much compared to almost everything else they’ve done.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Beef House was fine. Nothing they haven't pretty much done before. A laugh or two for me. Just glad to see Tim and Eric doing new stuff.

I wonder how much of that was by design.

I do love that they decided to just make the sitcom kids a bunch of T&E's weird old men. Also, I loved that Eric basically existed to get emasculated in every scene he was in.

I missed Mandatory Attendance Tour. The timing just didn't work out for me. :(

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I went. It was funny but think about a T&E show where the sketches are four times as long as on the show. Some parts dragged as a result. It was overall good but I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to catch a recorded version. Parts of On Cinema Tim came out at various parts, usually when trying to get the audience or volunteers to do something. At the end they showed the first episode of Beef House.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

TTBF posted:

I went. It was funny but think about a T&E show where the sketches are four times as long as on the show. Some parts dragged as a result. It was overall good but I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to catch a recorded version. Parts of On Cinema Tim came out at various parts, usually when trying to get the audience or volunteers to do something. At the end they showed the first episode of Beef House.

I went too and had a pretty great time. Dr. Steve was on the tour apparently but didn't come up for the Toronto dates which was disappointing. I bought a 3rd row seat without realizing that it included a VIP Q&A session after the show which was actually awesome. Tim and Eric dropped the act and came across as really cool and down to earth artists. Half the questions were interesting, about their writing process or maybe some question about a specific actor or sketch.

The other half came from what I can only describe as basement dwelling troll-like superfans. These questions/interactions were extremely cringey but Tim and Eric weren't entertaining any of their bullshit and giving out one word answers, which I also really appreciated and was amused by.

All in all, it was awesome and I got an autographed poster at the end!

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Another Bill posted:

The other half came from what I can only describe as basement dwelling troll-like superfans. These questions/interactions were extremely cringey but Tim and Eric weren't entertaining any of their bullshit and giving out one word answers, which I also really appreciated and was amused by.

Back in 2012 (I think) I went to a screening of "The Comedy" that had a Q&A with Tim and the director afterwards, and half the questions were just thinly-veiled Awesome Show references. It was deeply, deeply embarrassing. As far as I can tell, Rick Alverson (the director) is a quiet and deeply serious person, which made the questions that much weirder.

insideoutsider
Aug 31, 2003

You want a van? I get you a van.
I have been to two live On Cinema events with a Q&A component, Deckercon and the Mister America premiere. Both times somebody asked Gregg a question about Neil Hamburger. Super cringey!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/PaulCPace/status/1243651362660868096?s=19

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Decker... an island... the President isn't going to be showing up to give a speech, is he?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Tom Nook gave me a free nutritional vaping system!

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I know Tiger King is the viral docu-series of the moment, but holy cow if the whole thing doesn't have Tim Heidecker / Neuman vibes.

Narcissistic self aggrandizing, abuse of all the people around you, running for office as a 3rd party, using shell corporations to hide your assets, money making schemes, weddings, mysterious deaths.... I feel like Tim and Gregg have had the inside track on this story for years.

e: oh, and I also forgot to mention vanity TV talk shows and music careers being used to pursue personal grudges. Empty Bottle is a pale reflection of this reality.

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 31, 2020

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I hear that. If nothing else has come out of the last few years of public news and my own personal experiences it's that this whole personality archetype of the dunning-krugering, self-promoting, "visionary" Type A Idiot Genius has just been thrown into a kind of klieg-light focus.

People in my own life are like that and I feel like they are literally what are going to be the destruction of the human race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Data Graham posted:

I hear that. If nothing else has come out of the last few years of public news and my own personal experiences it's that this whole personality archetype of the dunning-krugering, self-promoting, "visionary" Type A Idiot Genius has just been thrown into a kind of klieg-light focus.

People in my own life are like that and I feel like they are literally what are going to be the destruction of the human race

Yeah, I've long thought that amphetamine/stimulant abuse is a necessary but not sufficient factor in this mindset. Something about getting all gakked up over long periods of time causes people to dehumanize everyone but themselves. Obviously this is all anecdotal but I don't think I see the same mental changes in painkiller/downer abusers.