Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Stereotype posted:

that’s not just a danger, that is absolutely going to happen. the question is how many people get trapped outside of hospitals with no hope of care, which we can hopefully keep to a minimum.

Donated blood is only good for around 6 weeks or 42 days.

The supply of donated blood is also heavily dependent on blood drives carried out at colleges and school campuses and there is always a noticeable decline in supply during the summer when school is out. Between social distancing and lockdown measures and the school season being cut 20% short, we're going to have literally zero blood on hand as Coronavirus pops.

To say we're turbofucked is an understatement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

DuckConference posted:

john ionnidis (of "Why Most Published Research Findings Are False" fame) wrote an editorial:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/eci.13222

Other epidemiologists seem to disagree with his outlook, though.

god fox news is gonna get whiplash. last week this was no big deal, this week it was a big deal, and it looks like they're going back to this isn't a big deal. can't wait to see how they handle the city of new york's healthcare system collapsing. probably blame those loving liberals. this is so god damned tiring

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

PIZZA.BAT posted:

god fox news is gonna get whiplash. last week this was no big deal, this week it was a big deal, and it looks like they're going back to this isn't a big deal. can't wait to see how they handle the city of new york's healthcare system collapsing. probably blame those loving liberals. this is so god damned tiring

1984 was a documentary.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
they'll bring on a live guest that's supposed to be quarantining to prove that it's no big deal, and end up giving it to the whole studio

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jabor posted:

they'll bring on a live guest that's supposed to be quarantining to prove that it's no big deal, and end up giving it to the whole studio

god willing

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Jabor posted:

this has already been and still is happening in the white house

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Progressive JPEG posted:

how many times have you been on country calendar?

Only once mother fu cker

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Only once mother fu cker

:swoon::swoon::swoon:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Stereotype posted:

that’s not just a danger, that is absolutely going to happen. the question is how many people get trapped outside of hospitals with no hope of care, which we can hopefully keep to a minimum.

Hopefully over the next few weeks studies start coming out examining how effective current treatment protocols and refining the group that are actually helped by hospitalisation. Ventilators are extremely bad for your health and it's likely that many people given them now would be better off without them (and possibly the converse) - identifying these groups accurately will be critical for outcomes. As the article says, we have almost no knowledge of the best way to treat it at the moment or much high quality data about the disease at all.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

idk if I agree with his conclusions, by the time we know the answers it'll be too late, but he's right that a lot of the current measures are full of guesswork and I desperately hope that there is a lot of high quality research about which ones are and aren't effective going on right now.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
the market will who lives

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

went out for some solo social distancing exercise and there's loving crowds of people walking along with various elderly relatives (and a thousand year old nun!) and clumping up to point at swans, we're so hosed

like ok yeah it's the same going to the shops rn but come on

also yes I am aware of the irony that I am outside as well but the streets were deserted near me and I'm keeping my distance. solo exercise is currently allowed. probably not for long tho I guess.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

dc had to shut down a bunch of streets because idiots were flocking to see the loving cherry blossoms yesterday. it doesn't help that there are tour groups that are continuing to show up

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

check out this interview with a cool german virologist https://www.zeit.de/wissen/gesundheit/2020-03/christian-drosten-coronavirus-pandemic-germany-virologist-charite

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

dc had to shut down a bunch of streets because idiots were flocking to see the loving cherry blossoms yesterday. it doesn't help that there are tour groups that are continuing to show up

:psyduck:

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

People are idiots. In Wuhan they literally welded doors shut to control people movement. In SK large scale testing for everyone and an app that tracked movement worked.

They cant do that in the US obviously (not yet at least) so buckle up for each state to be like Italy.

How long until the president orders google/facebook to keep tabs on covid-19 positive people and the people their phones have been near?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Already in the works. Also, Palantir has been lobbying to do similar things.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Picked up some oysters near the house :ninja:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

it's actually pretty clear that the UK government has bungled this. Maybe spending 4 years telling everyone experts are wrong, you shouldn't listen to "the Westminster elite" and facts don't matter has had a negative effect, who knew?

I hope they lock this poo poo down to solo exercise only like in France as then I'm gonna be able to skate down the middle of the road on the good tarmac as the traffic will be so low, if they ban that then welp, squat thrusts it is otherwise I'm gonna lose what little fitness I have.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i just sneezed twice :rip:

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
legit though i am only worried about my toddler and infant :(

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

legit though i am only worried about my toddler and infant :(

they warned you about having sex in high school but you didn't listen

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

akadajet posted:

they warned you about having sex in high school but you didn't listen

tbf they're posting in yospos, what more extreme measures to avoid sexual contact are there?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

tbf they're posting in yospos, what more extreme measures to avoid sexual contact are there?

I don't talk about yospos to women so this hasn't been a deterrent.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I hope they lock this poo poo down to solo exercise only like in France

Being outside is getting increasingly haram judging by the horrified news articles about people going for a walk alone in the mountains/park/forest near their house

Last week a woman died on a trail and they where gloating about the imprudent quarantine breaker.

e: this week not last week

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 22, 2020

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ed: on second thought, nah

akadajet fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 22, 2020

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

it's actually pretty clear that the UK government has bungled this. Maybe spending 4 years telling everyone experts are wrong, you shouldn't listen to "the Westminster elite" and facts don't matter has had a negative effect, who knew?

I hope they lock this poo poo down to solo exercise only like in France as then I'm gonna be able to skate down the middle of the road on the good tarmac as the traffic will be so low, if they ban that then welp, squat thrusts it is otherwise I'm gonna lose what little fitness I have.

its really sad and of course since journalism on this dumb island is nothing but bootlicking this will all get blamed on snowflake millenials somehow

and trans people they loving relaly hate trans people for some reason

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/21/coronavirus-plea-from-italy-treat-patients-at-home/

This pints to a possible explanation for the high death rates in Italy - high transmission rates in hospitals leading to an already ill population getting the virus (obv that is just speculation based on a qualitive article).

Got my papers checked by the police on my run today. Was the closest contact I've had with anyone all day, neither had masks, one had gloves, they physically handled my document and talked to me from about 1.5m. I saw them doing the same to several obviously solo and seemingly compliant people. Seems like they should only be checking people who look like they are rule breaking, or at least just checking you have documents, what's the point of giving them a careful inspection?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'm amazed how well people seeming to be following the spirit of the rules in France. I have seen a few people breaking them, but none in a way which could spread the disease. Even in Paris where there are some photos of markets etc with lots of people the traffic figures suggest that people are mostly complaint. I just hope they continue to refine the special measures, it's no good saying people shouldn't go outside for more then 20m if the police are all turning into super spreaders and there is massive transmission within hospitals.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
lmao rand paul has the ‘rona

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
they closed the playground at the park where i've been dog walking. of course there are two families on the swings still, and a pickup game on the basketball court :sigh:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
old lady across the street is in hospital with pneumonia :(

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

ab

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my initials mate

plus imma have to shave

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

good idea to wear gloves before putting your fingers in someone's butt

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Captain Foo posted:

:wrong:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

how's life in the League of Shadow's echi?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Foo posted:

what a lovely millennial you turned out to be. you put the tongue in. the eating part of eating rear end isn’t hyperbole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

i'm 3d printing all the things

u got any cool recommendations for things i should print