Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So is it a better idea if I do need hit Costco, to go about noon or in the afternoon, and just hope they're letting people in the store?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I went at 1:00 today to grab a few things. The parking lot was maybe 1/3 of what it usually is, and I had my choice of cashiers. My understanding is that early mornings are a mess, but the rest of the day is generally very slow.

I even got a hotdog.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

ArbitraryC posted:

I don't really get why there are panic buyers in the first place for really anything.
People buying things:
1. Profiteers hoping to make some money
2. People who really don't stock up on anything ever, some are poor people some are always eating out people.
3. Panic buyers who need to hoard everything.
4. People who have enough for a few weeks, and are (consciously or not) deciding that since things are still open they may as well continue to stay a few weeks ahead because living on your reserves when you don't have to, and may well need to in a few weeks, is risky (more risky than going out? that's harder to say).

Not all the scarcity is panic buying, some is just a lot of people buying a little bit more, and the actual panic buyers aren't rational so actual need isn't all that meaningful.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
They really ought to just say they dont offer grocery delivery anymore here

EVERYTHING is out of stock

I mean literally all foodstuffs in every category save like pepper and a few condiments

Woo hoo
:suicide:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

Our poor children are going nuts in isolation. My wife decided we'd buy a playhouse/swingset thing from Costco to set up in the backyard. We had been wanting one anyway, and them being stuck at home for the next month is a good reason to go for it.

She went yesterday, and asked for help up front to load all 5 gigantic boxes on a flatbed. Every employee involved thought she was a lunatic. People stared at her all through the store, and at least one took a picture.

We spent all day and we're halfway through assembly :suicide:
Did you get some sort of playhouse mansion or something?

I will say this pandemic has made me even gladder I don't have kids. Goons had it right all along: forever alone is the way to be.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/CollapsePosts/status/1238964767169089541?s=20

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ArbitraryC posted:

I don't really get why there are panic buyers in the first place for really anything. My fiancee is from taiwan so she had been following this from the start and we picked up 1 case of toilet paper (we had ~4 rolls left so it was time) and 1 bag of rice (also time to restock) like 2 weeks before poo poo hit the fan and grocery stores started getting mobbed.

But for like everything else food related, who doesn't already have a pantry or cupboards full of that poo poo? Even when I was single and living in a 1 bedroom, I had wire racks with tons of canned w/e whenever it went on sale.

We didn't bother going out shopping this weekend or last and between canned/dry/frozen stuff we just stock up on when it's cheap we could easily last 1-2 months. It's kind of weird to me anyone other than maybe college students wouldn't be in a similar position. Granted I live in a place with winters that'll keep ya in for a week or two every couple of years but still, canned/dry poo poo goes on sale you just buy a bunch so it's always there when you're lazy and just wanna make a casserole or w/e for dinner.
There's no reason to go completely nuts but China locked everyone up indoors for a few months so it's probably a good idea to have more than a week of groceries in case it gets that bad. Still there's only so much stuff people can eat so I don't think shortages are actually going to be a problem long-term.

Here it looks like we might contain it without going that far thankfully but I'm going to do some shopping now.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Has anyone been to church in Everett, MA lately? How’s the stock? Are there crowds/lines? We’re overdue for a trip.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I’m here right now. They’re only selling hot dogs and plain pizza. Pizza only by the whole pie, no slices.

Most condiments for the dogs missing. Just ketchup and mustard.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

I’m here right now. They’re only selling hot dogs and plain pizza. Pizza only by the whole pie, no slices.

they had onions/kraut if you asked for it when I went on friday

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah I asked. All condiments are behind the counter and they were out of everything but ketchup and mustard

The guy put them on the dog before wrapping it and handing it to your.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

In other news it was a five min wait outside the store and the inside was loving glorious. Easy to navigate, no traffic jams of retirees around the samples, easiest trip I’ve ever had. No TP or hand sanitizer but everything else was fine. Zero lines for registers. On a Sunday morning no less!

Seriously they should go with this model (limiting number of people in the store at any one time) permanently. They can double the price of my membership if they do that.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Cyrano4747 posted:

Definitely end of days

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Welcome to Costco I respect you

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

mobby_6kl posted:

There's no reason to go completely nuts but China locked everyone up indoors for a few months

This did not happen anywhere in China.

Even the strictest quarantines let people go to the grocery store every few days or had food delivered to apartments for the couple weeks an individual was on complete lock down. Half the country didn't even restrict that much.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

does costco china have the hotdog and pizza combo? I know south korea didn't even localize the food iirc hence why they call ketchup/onions/mustard costco kimchi

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Same as the previous poster. 10 min wait outside, paradise inside. No TP or paper towels. One pack of water per cart, they had tons.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
10 minute wait outside, plenty of water, they did have my cat food in. However they put a limit of one bag per person per day.

no toilet paper of course. The funny thing is I distinctly remember two weeks ago when people had three or four Totes of toilet paper and nobody said boo. Costco's a little late on limiting anything at this point.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
The cat's out of the bag. The toilet paper is already off the roll

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

you gotta get there before opening for tp, even just 30 mins worked for me on friday ymmv

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Alan Smithee posted:

does costco china have the hotdog and pizza combo? I know south korea didn't even localize the food iirc hence why they call ketchup/onions/mustard costco kimchi

China doesn't have Costco as far as I'm aware. There was one in Hong Kong and a reseller to buy Costco stuff on Taobao when I lived there. We did have something called Metro, which is basically German Costco. You're right Costco food in Korea is the same as the US, the only concession to local tastes is the pump bottle of corn syrup to put on your pizza/hot dogs.

E: Looks like they just opened the first Costco in Shanghai last fall. I now remember seeing these videos of people fighting over things at it, forgot that was Costco. lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UfO4gpML4g

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 22, 2020

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

China doesn't have Costco as far as I'm aware. There was one in Hong Kong and a reseller to buy Costco stuff on Taobao when I lived there. We did have something called Metro, which is basically German Costco. You're right Costco food in Korea is the same as the US, the only concession to local tastes is the pump bottle of corn syrup to put on your pizza/hot dogs.

E: Looks like they just opened the first Costco in Shanghai last fall. I now remember seeing these videos of people fighting over things at it, forgot that was Costco. lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UfO4gpML4g

I only watched it once but the fighting over chickens was seared into my brain

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

pump bottle of corn syrup to put on your pizza/hot dogs.

W H A T

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Modern Korea makes all food sweet whenever possible. Korean pizzas are sweet, Korean garlic bread is encased in a layer of honey and syrup, corn dogs rolled in sugar, potato chips are sugar-coated, on and on. There's usually a whole aisle section in a Korean grocery store for the rice/corn syrups. Getting non-sweet food in Korea can be a real challenge.

Weirdly, diabetes is becoming a major problem there.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I love Korean fried chicken but yeah they do a lot of really sweet coatings for it. The spicy ones rule though. Moderate spice because I'm a wuss

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

priznat posted:

I love Korean fried chicken but yeah they do a lot of really sweet coatings for it. The spicy ones rule though. Moderate spice because I'm a wuss

Yeah, I usually get the non glazed ones, so either a spicy or the cheese flavors

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The Korean love of cheese also rules

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

priznat posted:

The Korean love of cheese also rules

Less when you realize that "cheese" in Korea means Kraft singles, but somehow worse. Or "mozzarella" which has no flavor whatsoever.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I picked up the big bag of mozzarella bites today from Costco, they have plenty of flavor.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Grand Fromage posted:

Modern Korea makes all food sweet whenever possible. Korean pizzas are sweet, Korean garlic bread is encased in a layer of honey and syrup, corn dogs rolled in sugar, potato chips are sugar-coated, on and on. There's usually a whole aisle section in a Korean grocery store for the rice/corn syrups. Getting non-sweet food in Korea can be a real challenge.

Weirdly, diabetes is becoming a major problem there.

That's all really gross.

Cartoon Man posted:

I picked up the big bag of mozzarella bites today from Costco, they have plenty of flavor.

I disagree. They taste like almost nothing to me. The other goon had a good idea of cooking with them though.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That's all really gross.

I haven't had the other stuff, but Korean pizza is pretty good. At least the ones I've had here in California are (Love Letter in socal)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Less when you realize that "cheese" in Korea means Kraft singles, but somehow worse. Or "mozzarella" which has no flavor whatsoever.

I didn’t even realize cheese in Korean food was a thing until I went to this hot plate place that had a trough for melting cheese for dippin and it was goddamn delicious. It was a cheddar/mozza blend of shredded cheese in it and was good. Also corn for some reason? Anyway dammit now I want that but it is closed for dine in :sigh:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That's all really gross.

Yeah. Korean snacks are a minefield of "will this be sweet?" and Korean pizza is a war crime. Fortunately you don't have to eat any of that stuff and after a year or two living in Korea you start getting an instinct about what looks like a trap food.

priznat posted:

I didn’t even realize cheese in Korean food was a thing until I went to this hot plate place that had a trough for melting cheese for dippin and it was goddamn delicious. It was a cheddar/mozza blend of shredded cheese in it and was good. Also corn for some reason? Anyway dammit now I want that but it is closed for dine in :sigh:

Everything has to have corn in it.

Are you in Korea? Korean food outside Korea tends to not be sweet in the same way. The sugar in everything trend is recent-ish (last couple decades) and a lot of Korean restaurants are run by immigrants who left before that became a thing. I've found Korean restaurants in the US serve food nowhere near as sugary as they eat in Korea.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I made sure to thank and praise the Costco people I encountered and spoke with, most of them seemed to be going on very little sleep.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Any luck finding hand soap at Costco? I’m actually close to running out but no one has any, and my Friday trip to the ‘co in Chicago was somewhat traumatic (and I didn’t think to look for soap then).

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Cartoon Man posted:

I made sure to thank and praise the Costco people I encountered and spoke with, most of them seemed to be going on very little sleep.

That's not good, sleep deprivation does extremely bad things to your immune system very fast. I'm disappointed that they aren't putting up plexiglass shields at the check-outs like other grocers are here, or doing temperature-checking at the entrance.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 23, 2020

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Went over to my Costco yesterday to grab normal stuff. No crowds, TP was still on the floor (2pm), pretty normal.

Limited food court menu (Dogs and Slices/full pies), some items were 1/customer.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

EVG posted:

Any luck finding hand soap at Costco? I’m actually close to running out but no one has any, and my Friday trip to the ‘co in Chicago was somewhat traumatic (and I didn’t think to look for soap then).

Mine has a 2 pack of big Softsoap jugs, limit 1. On sale for $6. PBUC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

EVG posted:

and my Friday trip to the ‘co in Chicago was somewhat traumatic

do tell