Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

MassRafTer posted:

In this case the company had already been informed it was a murder investigation and Regal would have also known about the texts and voicemails, plus Dave Taylor's visits to the house so he wasn't assuming anything.
And even if you throw that out, JBL went up to him right as the interview was about to start and asked "...you don't think he killed the boy, do you?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

davidbix posted:

And even if you throw that out, JBL went up to him right as the interview was about to start and asked "...you don't think he killed the boy, do you?"

I don't doubt this but where'd this come from ? It's news to me.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I don't doubt this but where'd this come from ? It's news to me.
I can't find the specific date/issue right now, but a Summer 2007 edition of the Observer.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

dsriggs posted:

You can tell Regal knew something was up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp3OQAL22T8

They say on the doc that Regal also lived in Atlanta and knew at least a bit about Benoit's changes in behavior leading up to the incident. I figure he probably knew who to call in the Atlanta PD or in Benoit's neighborhood when the news of his death came out and likely knew they were at least looking into it being foul play and not suicide.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 23, 2020

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

One of the more weird/memorable stories from the aftermath was that one day, Benoit called Regal out of the blue after not hanging out for a very long time, and asked him to come over and watch AJPW tapes. Regal went over and Chris refused to let him in the house, acting like he had no idea why he was there.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

MassRafTer posted:

In this case the company had already been informed it was a murder investigation and Regal would have also known about the texts and voicemails, plus Dave Taylor's visits to the house so he wasn't assuming anything.

Obviously anyone who had seen the texts would know, but you could forgive everyone else for thinking: car crash, gas leak, house fire, etc. initially.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
is it weird that they don't mention Perry Saturn in this at all? I think they even cut his name out at one point

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Cubone posted:

is it weird that they don't mention Perry Saturn in this at all? I think they even cut his name out at one point

Perry Saturn should be his own whole episode but unfortunately he was so disconnected from anybody for so long that he can only really tell his own story and his mind is pretty far gone and he's been on and off drugs still as far as I know. I think it's a thing where if you bring him up you have to provide similar context to Eddie/Malenko/Jericho and it's just not there and he wasn't really involved at all with anything that happened.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Saturn's story breaks my heart. As a little wrestling fan I thought he was super cool and did a ton of sweet moves. It was bitter sweet when he showed back up years ago. Sweet he was back but awful to hear what he went through. He stayed alive for his dog though :unsmith:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Benoit was my favorite wrestler. :smith:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Animal-Mother posted:

Benoit was my favorite wrestler. :smith:

I stopped watching for a while after that. Not to be all "And I don't know how to accept that" about it, it just took any joy out of wrestling for a while. Eddy passing was brutal too (he's my favorite wrestler, and I'm not trying to be funny).

TheKingslayer posted:

Saturn's story breaks my heart. As a little wrestling fan I thought he was super cool and did a ton of sweet moves. It was bitter sweet when he showed back up years ago. Sweet he was back but awful to hear what he went through. He stayed alive for his dog though :unsmith:

Saturn would be an indy darling now. Badass with a unique look and a great moveset? Oh yeah.

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

Saturn in his prime would own in current New Japan throwing Ishii on his head.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The Eliminators would instantly be a top 5 tag team if they were about today

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

davidbix posted:

Does anyone have any idea if her somewhat...extreme politics are a new thing or not? They don't seem to match anything else we know about her.

I watched this last night and thought "that woman who wants to build a wall while screaming about her taxes sure does seem nice"

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

second half of the Benoit doc is starting now

e: next week will be https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8sDp65dyeA&t=82s NEW JACK

Troy Queef fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 25, 2020

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Just finished watching part 2.

I'm really, really glad that David and Sandra are back in touch, if nothing else. Grief does terrible things to people. but whatever family member lied to her and Chris's surviving kids, telling them that the other wanted nothing to do with each other...that's a terrible thing to do someone.

That said: I was absolutely not prepared for the part about Sandra witnessing the aftermath of an incident where Chris was abusive to Nancy and refused to elaborate about what he did past that "...he hurt her..." out of sensitivity to Chris's surviving kids.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Part 2 was really heartbreaking, but god bless Jericho and Chavo for helping two horribly grief-stricken people move on, even in a small way.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The sheriff's story about finding the crime scene is chilling.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the last 20 minutes of this was a really difficult watch.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

OFFICER LIGER posted:

the last 20 minutes of this was a really difficult watch.

That's where I'm at right now and David Benoit is about bringing me to tears. I remember losing my dad in a way more mundane way and it was crushing, I can't even begin to put myself in his shoes. That poor kid and now man.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm catching up on season 1 now and this Montreal episode really feels like a hit piece on Bret. Pritchard and Cornette are more than happy to poo poo on Bret for not wanting to lose when Shawn pulled the same poo poo plenty.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Oh btw if you're in Australia you can watch this on SBS On Demand.

Really tough watch. I think it's too nice to WWE but that's to be expected. gently caress Chris Benoit forever but I still think it's hard to say he was 100% cognizant of what he was doing when he was on a billion drugs and had massive brain damage. I really hope the wrestlers from Benoit's cohort (the ones that are left) are taking care of themselves.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

This was an incredible but heartbreaking episode, I'm really glad I watched it but it's going to stick with me for a while.

The ending felt cathartic, though. It was really nice to see David and Sandra spending time together, and good on Jericho for both being the guy to put them in contact with each other and for being one of the few people to reach out to the families after the tragedy.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

I feel like the fact that he reunited them at All Out (based on the filming timeline of this series and that we see them entering the Sears Center) may have been intentional as well, tying into some of the comments at the end of the program that amounted to basically "Wrestling is understandably inhospitable to Chris Benoit, but it's been a long time since it happened and things are changing, so it doesn't have to be inhospitable to the people that were in his life."

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
This stuff was rough watching at points, but I feel that they did an outstanding job of tackling what probably is the most difficult subject imaginable. Hope that this helps everybody involved get to a better place in their lives. Also Jericho is a good dude.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Chavo pulling a face & going "strange" after saying he'd just discovered he'd on TV to humanise a murderer was unintentionally funny.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Cerebral Bore posted:

This stuff was rough watching at points, but I feel that they did an outstanding job of tackling what probably is the most difficult subject imaginable. Hope that this helps everybody involved get to a better place in their lives. Also Jericho is a good dude.

they're covering owen later this season and i feel like thats gonna be another real tough one to get through

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
The Owen one is going to be must-see for me because Martha's on it, but I sincerely doubt very many people from WWE will be on it. Not that they need WWE people since they did fine without them on the Benoit episode, but the Owen story will almost certainly make them look worse.

I hope they get the guy who was on the POST Wrestling Owen audio show, the guy who was with Owen for much of the day that he died.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That was a very strange moment with Chavo going "Wait, maybe *all* wrestlers are brain damaged :aaaaa: "

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Did anyone else pick up on the remark from Jericho about using drugs under the Wellness Policy? Am I Sonnie in thinking that was absurd?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

kind of put together that jim ross will never not sound like an overly defensive jackass even if he's actually seemingly placing blame on himself and/or his company. maybe it's the bluntness and authoritative tone, or maybe he just always is that overly defensive jackass. Can't tell. this observation mostly comes from about 8 minutes into pt2 when he's talking about fault for putting on the tribute show

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Randazzo sucked 20 years ago and his book was trash and he should've been replaced by Meltzer.

I'm happy they aren't using Dutch for narration anymore, that "Well Jose came out of the bathroom and his shirt was ripped" justification for killing Brody was too much for me.

Wasn't a fan of Sandra saying nobody from WWE reached out to them. JR came to the funeral and you told him to gently caress off so seems to me like you closed the door on that one.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Mob posted:

Wasn't a fan of Sandra saying nobody from WWE reached out to them. JR came to the funeral and you told him to gently caress off so seems to me like you closed the door on that one.

:chloe:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Cavauro posted:

kind of put together that jim ross will never not sound like an overly defensive jackass even if he's actually seemingly placing blame on himself and/or his company. maybe it's the bluntness and authoritative tone, or maybe he just always is that overly defensive jackass. Can't tell. this observation mostly comes from about 8 minutes into pt2 when he's talking about fault for putting on the tribute show

Yeah it really came off like he was arguing against someone imaginary. Like, say you hosed up and move on. I wonder if someone was egging him on in that interview or if he just started acting like that unprompted.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Cavauro posted:

I agree with you and I think a large part of his defensiveness is tied to people thinking wrestling is fake/doesn't take a toll on performers physically. He was most agitated and defensive when he was talking about that piece of it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Mob posted:

Yeah the people burying their family after a horrific murder didn't give ol JR the respect he deserved. Boomer sooner

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
David understandably sobs towards the end and I start tearing up. Then Nancy and Chavo walk about to give him much needed hugs and support and I went full on ugly cry. I went to my daughter and gave her a big hug.

My Internet powers are failing me. Does anyone have a decent vid of the Super J cup match Jericho mentioned in the bonus footage from DSotR After Dark? It took place December 1995, a quarterfinal match between Lionheart and Wild Pegasus

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

funerals don't happen a couple days after death so if wwe didn't contact them for all that time and then JR came to the funeral and tried to initiate official or unofficial wwe contact that would be worse than not showing up. If he was there for personal reasons and got chewed out it should probably be forgiven and not a sign for the corporation to continue never contacting them again. or if nothing else, you really must make a post blaming david as well since he said the same stuff

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Facts are facts, in 2007 Stephanie hadn't invented charity as the best PR yet. They're a corporation not a CAREporation folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The part I liked about the documentary is that it did at least go into how Nancy was a legitimately great performer in her own right because far too often it's just "Nancy Benoit, who got murdered by Chris" but Woman was an absolutely fantastic in her own right as a manager. I've not seen much of her stuff in Florida with Kevin Sullivan but both in ECW & her later run in WCW she was just great in her role.