Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
For wasps, if you aren’t confident in catching them in time, run to the nearest building and go in to escape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

GoGoGadget posted:

I had never played an Animal Crossing game before, but the reviews for this seemed pretty good so I figured I'd try it. And I almost instantly regret it. This game seems so bland, basic and boring. I enjoy games similar to this like Dragon Quest Builders and Stardew Valley, but this one seems so shallow, like there isn't anything to really do. Am I just not giving it enough time?

This game is pretty different from DQB and Stardew because of the time gated mechanics in it. It's an apt comparison in some ways, but in other ways I can see people get the wrong impression about the game if you're expecting Stardew Valley from it. You have to know that AC is a very, very slow burn. Contrary to how 50% of this thread plays the game it's not about rushing to get the next thing and constantly upgrading stuff but more of a gradual build to a thriving 'community' full of cute/neat characters to interact with. It's fun checking in every day and having a little bit more progress or another villager moves in, there's new stuff to buy, that kind of thing.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

are we able to get tools that don't break eventually?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

GeauxSteve posted:

Is there a site anywhere with premade QR codes for patterns people have made? Google is just giving me awful pintrest pages

https://acpatterns.com

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

GoGoGadget posted:

I had never played an Animal Crossing game before, but the reviews for this seemed pretty good so I figured I'd try it. And I almost instantly regret it. This game seems so bland, basic and boring. I enjoy games similar to this like Dragon Quest Builders and Stardew Valley, but this one seems so shallow, like there isn't anything to really do. Am I just not giving it enough time?

A day in stardew valley is about 15 minutes real time. A day in Animal Crossing is 24 hours real time. And stuff is happening in the game whether or not you're playing it (i.e. if there's a big festival on December 25 and you don't play that day, you'll miss the festival).

Accomplishing large things in AC takes actual months - in a way, if this were a mobile game that sold real money "TIME ACCELERATOR" packs, everyone would be in a fuckin rage. But AC doesn't have that, so everyone is forced* to do the same chill timeframe. Playing for about 15-20 minutes a day will allow you to do the bulk of the more "important" stuff, but you can skip months at a time without adverse effect outside of getting some weeds and maybe someone leaving your village.

At the same time, there's a mountain of stuff to do in AC after you get past the first bland couple real time days. Fishing, decorating, catching bugs, upgrading your house and buying increasingly expensive expansions to it, modifying the town, terraforming now in the new game, gathering fossils and filling out the museum, etc. There's tons of accomplishment to be had - it's just a game that you really kind of have to be patient for and it forces you into that whether you want it or not. Once you accept that, I think you'll have a relaxing fun time. On the contrast, I keep wanting to like SDV but I get stressed out because 10-15 minutes isn't nearly enough time to do even 1/5 the stuff I want to do each day in SDV. It's a fundamentally different game.

* time travel is an exception to this, but i don't recommend it and the game will eventually punish you for it if it decides that you're doing it

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Fangz posted:

Do items despawn when left in the outdoors? I created a big turnip stash, but I'm worried this was a Mistake.

No but if your fence is open, your villagers could pop in it and take some of the items. It doesn’t happen often and I haven’t seen it in NH yet but it definitely happened all the time in NL.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I really wish this site was easier to browse. They have labels/categories but there doesn't seem to be a way to actually filter by those categories.

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla

explosivo posted:

I really wish this site was easier to browse. They have labels/categories but there doesn't seem to be a way to actually filter by those categories.

Yeah same here

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Breadallelogram posted:

I imagine that's what the golden tools will be, but uh...those take some work if earning them is anything like past games.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

shortspecialbus posted:

* time travel is an exception to this, but i don't recommend it and the game will eventually punish you for it if it decides that you're doing it

no it won't, it has always been a legit option for playing the game

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
When do we get ladders? My last 3/5ths of the island is taunting me with its flowers, weeds, rocks, fossils--

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Maple Leaf posted:

When do we get ladders? My last 3/5ths of the island is taunting me with its flowers, weeds, rocks, fossils--

You get it when you have to reserve land for the new neighbors coming in, which was the 3rd day for me.

Or you can go to another island where someone already has it and buy it from their shop.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Zore posted:

Are Squids the only animal with 2 jokes when you catch them?

Its like they couldn't bear to not have a Mario joke or a Splatoon joke

Squids have THREE jokes! The 'bloop' one, the inkling one, and the 'off the hook' one. That's 2/3ds Splatoon, 1/3d Mario, just like my life.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Seabhac posted:

I thought the islands you visit were random but I'm pretty sure I've been to the same island at least twice. Is there a limited number of them and if so how many?

I've maybe seen 4-5 different islands and I've probably been on 20+ expeditions, some of them repeat a hell of a lot more than others. I get the spiral shaped one more often than not, and then a close second is the one that's basically just cliffs stacked in the centre surrounded by a small strip of grass.

I have yet to see the spider island or a foreign fruit island that wasn't peaches.

Bamboo island is a pain in the rear end if your axe breaks because you can only buy flimsy axes from the dodo and it turns into a clusterfuck of remembering which trees you already logged.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

History Comes Inside! posted:

The fact wasps can't be evaded is annoying as poo poo, I spend 99% of my time running around with a swollen eye because there's no point in using medicine since I'm just gonna get stung again.

Unless you're lucky enough to have your net out (and I'm usually cutting down trees for wood on the random islands so, I don't) you're hosed.

put your net between your two axes in your inventory so pressing left/right on the dpad switches to it and you can switch and swing to get them everytime

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

History Comes Inside! posted:

I've maybe seen 4-5 different islands and I've probably been on 20+ expeditions, some of them repeat a hell of a lot more than others. I get the spiral shaped one more often than not, and then a close second is the one that's basically just cliffs stacked in the centre surrounded by a small strip of grass.

I have yet to see the spider island or a foreign fruit island that wasn't peaches.

Bamboo island is a pain in the rear end if your axe breaks because you can only buy flimsy axes from the dodo and it turns into a clusterfuck of remembering which trees you already logged.

Protip: chop first, pick up later.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

shortspecialbus posted:

A day in stardew valley is about 15 minutes real time. A day in Animal Crossing is 24 hours real time. And stuff is happening in the game whether or not you're playing it (i.e. if there's a big festival on December 25 and you don't play that day, you'll miss the festival).

Accomplishing large things in AC takes actual months - in a way, if this were a mobile game that sold real money "TIME ACCELERATOR" packs, everyone would be in a fuckin rage. But AC doesn't have that, so everyone is forced* to do the same chill timeframe. Playing for about 15-20 minutes a day will allow you to do the bulk of the more "important" stuff, but you can skip months at a time without adverse effect outside of getting some weeds and maybe someone leaving your village.

At the same time, there's a mountain of stuff to do in AC after you get past the first bland couple real time days. Fishing, decorating, catching bugs, upgrading your house and buying increasingly expensive expansions to it, modifying the town, terraforming now in the new game, gathering fossils and filling out the museum, etc. There's tons of accomplishment to be had - it's just a game that you really kind of have to be patient for and it forces you into that whether you want it or not. Once you accept that, I think you'll have a relaxing fun time. On the contrast, I keep wanting to like SDV but I get stressed out because 10-15 minutes isn't nearly enough time to do even 1/5 the stuff I want to do each day in SDV. It's a fundamentally different game.

play stardew on pc and install the time mod that defaults the day length to double and lets you stop time/slow it down/speed it up and its a much better game. default day length on it is ridiculously short

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
stardew is a bad game with no character or atmosphere and all the people in it are boring and bland and in no way should ever be compare to animal crossing or even harvest moon which both have way more personality

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Snooze Cruise posted:

stardew is a bad game with no character or atmosphere and all the people in it are boring and bland and in no way should ever be compare to animal crossing or even harvest moon which both have way more personality

:chloe:

this isnt v chill.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Is that Doreamon harvest moon game any good

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Your Computer posted:

also can we talk about this chair?

I can talk about how much I want it.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Your Computer posted:

But in all seriousness I really would discourage new players from time traveling.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Is there any way to get bamboo shoots outside of hoping to fly into the bamboo island?

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Is Blathers accepting more than one fish of some types? I swung by to donate my first Sturgeon and he accepted a Sea Bass and Carp I had that I'm 100% sure I donated before.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Snooze Cruise posted:

Stardew is not a bad game, it's just only sort of in the same category as animal crossing. They're very different games although they both scratch the "chill" itch for various people. My issue with stardew is mainly that I can't wrap my head around how to chill in that game because i feel like there's always too much progress that I want to make and I can't stop myself from trying to (badly) powergame it. That doesn't make it a bad game anymore than AC playing in real time and basically preventing serious powergaming makes it a bad game. Some people like both, some people only like one or the other, or neither. SDV is definitely a good game that I just struggle to get into.

Stux posted:

play stardew on pc and install the time mod that defaults the day length to double and lets you stop time/slow it down/speed it up and its a much better game. default day length on it is ridiculously short

The weird thing about that is I actually did that at one point and it removed any challenge at all, making the game less fun in a different way. I think I could have tweaked it to add about 5 minutes per waking day, maybe even a touch less, and it probably would have been enough to keep the balance from being horrifically broken. The real problem here is just that I have difficulty turning off the urge to powergame unless it flat out doesn't exist. Even then, I hit every single milestone possible in the first few days of AC :shrug:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Hey what's the easiest way to catch a stringfish? Its the only fish from this season I haven't seen.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Hey what's the easiest way to catch a stringfish? Its the only fish from this season I haven't seen.

I haven't gotten one yet, but bait between 4pm-9pm at the mountaintop stream(s). Bait just makes it so you don't have to leave the area to get a new fish.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Snake Maze posted:

But in all seriousness I really would discourage new players from time traveling.

Resetti appeared when you reset the console without saving (hence his name). I don't recall this having anything to do with time travel.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Your Computer posted:

Just because Nintendo hadn't figured out a way to prevent it doesn't make it legit.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Anyone know if you can get the golden shovel in a similar way as to previous games?

Snake Maze posted:

I think it's been confirmed that you have to sync your clock with actual time to participate in holiday events so even more reason not to do it this time

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

explosivo posted:

The best was is and forever will he just searching what you want on Tumblr. The Japanese Tumblr users have completely and utterly destroyed anyone else making patterns.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

What are the turnips for? And is bamboo hard to come by? I'm only on Day 2 but I found bamboo on my second random island, I dug up 5 bamboo shoots and chopped a bunch of the wood, but didn't bother getting any of the trees. Do they fruit somehow? I know bamboo spreads like crazy IRL. And is there a way to get rid of villagers you don't want? I invited the two people I found on the islands to come visit, but I didn't realize you could only have 10 villagers total, and this ram lady I met is kinda boring. (Although neither of them has actually shown up yet.)

How do I get bugs to appear consistently? I heard it was something to do with the rocks, but IDK.

Should I just timeskip to Day 3? I've gotten supplies for the store and enough specimens for the museum already, and I'm getting a little frustrated not being able to turn in any of the new species I keep finding. It seems cheaty, but this game also feels like it starts out really, really slow -- I don't like the idea that I can't unlock the rest of the basic stuff for another few days IRL no matter how much I play.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Phenotype posted:

Should I just timeskip to Day 3? I've gotten supplies for the store and enough specimens for the museum already, and I'm getting a little frustrated not being able to turn in any of the new species I keep finding. It seems cheaty, but this game also feels like it starts out really, really slow -- I don't like the idea that I can't unlock the rest of the basic stuff for another few days IRL no matter how much I play.

Personal opinion: No. That's kind of one of the tenets of AC is that you have to wait actual days for things, so you should probably just get used to it now or else you're going to consistently be having problems where you feel you need to timeskip to get around it.

I'll admit it would be nice if the early game had some more stuff, but so long as your'e on day 2 and can fly to other goon's islands, you can get around the worst of the problems (i.e. someone can give you a couple shovels maybe, a ladder, and/or a pole vault). Just stack your new species outside of wherever the museum is in your town, and donate them when it opens up. I donated 63 things this morning all in a row.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

So I found a bamboo island, how do I transfer the bamboo in a way that will let me propagate it?

e: For those curious, dig up the dig spots, they'll have bamboo shoots!

Nessus fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 22, 2020

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Any ladder-havers got a Dodo they want to post? I’ll bring some pears!

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Nessus posted:

So I found a bamboo island, how do I transfer the bamboo in a way that will let me propagate it?

Dig it up. Replant it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

shortspecialbus posted:

Dig it up. Replant it.
Yeah but I want mass bamboo production here baby. I want a powerful crop. I want it to take over my island!!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
How do I eat my villagers

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Mega64 posted:

How do I eat my villagers

Craft an axe (the metal one, not the stone one) and set up a cook fire. Invite the villager to your house, which is a somewhat random event. When they arrive, crack them in the skull with the axe and then put the pieces onto the cookfire. Share with Isabella to avoid repercussions later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Breadallelogram posted:

I've seen a screenshot of even a golden tool breaking. Hoping it's BS photoshop.