Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

really dissapointed in lack of xenu jokes in regard to everyone talking about invisible man tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

King Vidiot posted:

Let's not get carried away, it's mildly passable. Are we all that desperate for good spook-a-doodles?

Hey here's one more, she loving cuts her wrist open in the shower and then doesn't wrap it and just stops bleeding altogether and is fine in the next scene.

Let’s get carried away because the movie fuckin owns and Leigh Whannell is quickly becoming my favorite director right now

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Vinegar Syndrome

Right on! Thanks. Has anyone seen "The Candy Snatchers"? Looks like a low-rent Last House on the Left.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

today I will be watching "Wedding Trough".

The only thing I know about it is the IMDB summary: "A mad farmer falls in love with his pig and has mutant piglets with it. When the "piglets" prefer their mother over him, he hangs them all and the sow kills herself."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Watched Zombieland: Doubletap. And it really strikes me as that franchise thinks that it's more iconic than it really is, that people really was waiting the whole decade to get a sequel. Kudos to Zoey Dutch though who gets absolutely poo poo to work with and still manages to shine.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

CelticPredator posted:

Let’s get carried away because the movie fuckin owns and Leigh Whannell is quickly becoming my favorite director right now

I loved Upgrade but Invisible Man had some problems, though for me that was mostly the writing and not the direction.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Kvlt! posted:

The only thing I know about it is the IMDB summary: "A mad farmer falls in love with his pig and has mutant piglets with it. When the "piglets" prefer their mother over him, he hangs them all and the sow kills herself."

Where on earth did you find that movie???

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

some random imdb list

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
real talk, invisible man is Pretty Good but the lack of attention paid to continuity and things making sense beyond a sort of general "he's invisible therefore he's anywhere and everywhere all at once" dream logic kinda hurts it

but it's also more or less a necessary weasel, as it were, for an invisible man movie where the protagonist isn't the invisible man, since you have to do that kind of weirdness to pull off effective scares

so i dunno, i don't disagree with the overall point that its continuity editing is kinda hosed, but YMMV on how much it actually matters

e: like, your options are pretty much either do that and keep your titular pseudo-John-Cena in the back pocket for a scare whenever you need one, or go to Shane Carruth levels of what-the-gently caress overcomplicated where you're basically writing an entire separate movie from the villain's perspective that the audience doesn't get to watch.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
A few of the nitpicks can be explained by the fact there's more than one suit.

That being said, I didn't dig the movie that much. It's aggressively mediocre. Could have been WAY better, could have been way worse. Solid 3 star movie.

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

"The Invisible Man" full-on "eats rear end". Everyone knows it "eats rear end". Who gives a poo poo.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

A few of the nitpicks can be explained by the fact there's more than one suit.

That being said, I didn't dig the movie that much. It's aggressively mediocre. Could have been WAY better, could have been way worse. Solid 3 star movie.

It reminds me in some ways of The Hunt, where the lead's performance makes you badly want to forgive any other shortcomings of the film.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
In the Mouth of Madness is loving my poo poo up right now! I’m going to say this may be my fav Carpenter flick.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Serious Party Gods posted:

"The Invisible Man" full-on "eats rear end". Everyone knows it "eats rear end". Who gives a poo poo.

I'll tell you what doesn't eat rear end, Color Out of Space. Holy poo poo was that good, like a modern retelling of that meteor story from Creepshow by way of a Brian Yuzna-esque Lovecraft adaptation. All it needed was Barbara Crampton, but then you could say that about any movie.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

CelticPredator posted:

Agreed. Continuity errors don't erase Elisabeth Moss's performance or the craft with which the movie is directed.

It's definitely not a movie for everyone, but the pushback it's seeing in this thread is a little surprising.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

How can any film live up to that summary? Was it good?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

thatfuturekid posted:

In the Mouth of Madness is loving my poo poo up right now! I’m going to say this may be my fav Carpenter flick.

It’s really good. Definitely in my top 5 Carpenter movies, maybe even top 3.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

King Vidiot posted:

I'll tell you what doesn't eat rear end, Color Out of Space. Holy poo poo was that good, like a modern retelling of that meteor story from Creepshow by way of a Brian Yuzna-esque Lovecraft adaptation. All it needed was Barbara Crampton, but then you could say that about any movie.

Its a very solid example of horror as the monstrousness* of getting exactly what you want.

*Don't know if that's quite the right word.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Severin is re-releasing When the Wind Blows April 28th along with a trove of goodies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb4R8I03C9Y

It is the perfect quarantine movie, along with Threads.

Who knew that all it took to obliterate the human spirit was a little David Bowie, an old English couple and some stop-animation?

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Serious Party Gods posted:

Right on! Thanks. Has anyone seen "The Candy Snatchers"? Looks like a low-rent Last House on the Left.

Kinda sorta but way better than Last House

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Drunkboxer posted:

How can any film live up to that summary? Was it good?

i ended up not watching it bc i can't stomach even the slightest bit of real animal cruelty and it became pretty evident early on that this was gonna be chock full of it

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

i ended up not watching it bc i can't stomach even the slightest bit of real animal cruelty and it became pretty evident early on that this was gonna be chock full of it

You're one of the good ones

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

ruddiger posted:

It’s really good. Definitely in my top 5 Carpenter movies, maybe even top 3.

:hai:
3rd behind The Thing and Halloween for me

e: also The Invisible Man owns. Elisabeth Moss is maybe my favorite actress working today.

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 22, 2020

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CelticPredator posted:

lol

Sarchasm posted:

Agreed. Continuity errors don't erase Elisabeth Moss's performance or the craft with which the movie is directed.

They don't, but a better written script wouldn't hurt.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

In the Mouth of Madness might just make the top 5 for me but that's just because I love so many Carpenter films so much.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

You're one of the good ones

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

my fav carpenter movie is the original precinct 13

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The Thing
Prince of Darkness
Big Trouble in Little China

Carpenter Top 3.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

dorium posted:

The Thing
Prince of Darkness

Carpenter Top 3.

See, this how awesome Carpenter is because I love all three of those films and yet only the Thing makes my top 3 with The Fog and Halloween. And no one's even mentioned They Live.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The Thing is the best Carpenter film. I feel a bit weird saying that because he made so many other fantastic movies, but The Thing is just REALLY good.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
I watched sunchoke and that movie was the definition of being carried by its performances.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I'm giving yall a choice: either acknowledge the genius of They Live, or start eating that trash can.

TheOmegaWalrus fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 23, 2020

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

I'm giving yall a choice: either acknowledge the genius of They Live, or start eating that trash can.

I am already eating from the trash can all the time.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

if I could break the fabric of space and time and make a top three look like a top three in our reality, but in the broken space/time it's actually just:

The Thing
Prince of Darkness
They Live
Assault on Precinct 13
In The Mouth of Madness
Halloween
Escape From New York
The Fog
Christine

Then I would.

This is my true top three list.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its actually just more effective to name your 3 least favorite Carpenter films.

The Ward
Village of the Damned
Escape from LA

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Top 5 Carpenter

The Thing
Halloween
In the Mouth of Madness
The Fog
They Live

Bottom 3

Someone's Watching Me
Memoirs of an Invisible Man
Dark Star (I owe this one a rewatch obviously)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Shrecknet posted:

OK, I have enough votes for the first 63. Now the first heads-up vote, for the BUBBLE TEAM! This franchise will go up against Friday the 13th (the #1 overall Seed) in the main tournament, so don't get too attached.

VOTING NOW! CLICK HERE! (I'm gonna use Google Forms unless you guys have a better option for future rounds)
vs

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 23, 2020

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

sigher posted:

They don't, but a better written script wouldn't hurt.

Fair, but it's hard to make your villain unpredictable and frightening while also providing the necessary setup to answer everyone's lingering questions. The movie would need an extensive postscript (unnecessary, dull) or lengthy setup scenes from the POV of the invisible man (robbing the film of all suspense). How he did these things isn't the point.

I get that "a wizard did it" isn't a satisfying explanation, but would a step-by-step explanation actually add anything to the experience? If there was a scene where Adrian sneaked into the restaurant and checked the reservation list to see where his wife and her sister were to be seated that evening and then stashed a knife under their table in advance, how would the movie benefit?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I really like that Carpenter remade Rio Bravo three different times in three different decades.

Assault on Precinct 13 in the 70s, Prince of Darkness in the 80s, and Ghosts of Mars at the turn of the millennium.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

also

Explanation is for scrubs.

Embrace the mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy