Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

15 to life. doesn’t that mean he never gets out unless a parole board says so?

that's exactly what it means

he was sentenced to life in prison, with a minimum time served of 15 years. hence him getting parole board hearings already -- it's preparation for potentially letting him out in a couple years

it's hans reiser, so, thankfully, he will never persuade a parole board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

we'll see in 2023, the year of reiser on the sentencing

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I wonder which operation system has the most code written by crime-doers in it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

which one has the most dod contributors

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

:nice:

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

:eyepop:

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
didnt hans reiser also defend himself in court despite all advice to the contrary

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Lysidas posted:

didnt hans reiser also defend himself in court despite all advice to the contrary

ya he's a grade a moron in all respects

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Lysidas posted:

not quite, he had a defense attorney, but he overrode his attorney and insisted on taking the stand to speak in his own defense

if i remember right he actually had a pretty good chance at getting away with it, the case leaned very hard on circumstantial evidence and his attorney had done a decent job of planting enough doubt in the jury's mind as to whether or not it was him.

then he took the stand and, between his acerbic personality and the expertise of a prosecutor in interrogation, thoroughly convinced the jury that he was a guilty rear end in a top hat

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

does selinux count

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

sorry for pasting phoronix time and time again, but i agree with the sentiment that it is weird that this hasn't been done before

There Is Finally Work To Allow Sysctl Parameters To Be Set From The Linux Kernel Command

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
I can see it being handy in niche situations but I can also very much see why it wouldn’t be a priority. like how often are you staring at a kernel command line, really

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
lol if you don't edit your kernel command line directly in grub every time you start your pc

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i've written few enough kernel command lines that i didn't realize that these were indeed two entirely separate and incompatible namespaces.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
why are you ever restarting linux, except for kernel updates I guess. just suspend the vm if you have to restart the host os.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Zlodo posted:

lol if you don't edit your kernel command line directly in grub every time you start your pc

lol if you do

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
i Luv 2 janitor the kernel of my operation system

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

i Luv 2 janitor the kernel of my operation system

It's good for job security.

Said while currently unemployed thanks covid.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 26, 2020

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I rebuilt the NetBSD kernel yesterday

trying to see if I can fix the NFS bug that affects the assembler in SunOS 4 on Sun-3

I thought I’d done it but not quite yet, there must be more 32-bit integers that needs to be clamped to INT_MAX

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
One thing I like about MacOS is if you long hold a key alternative keys pop up. Gnome doesn't do this and I can't find a way to enable this feature if it exists.

:smith:

larper
Apr 9, 2019

ratbert90 posted:

One thing I like about MacOS is if you long hold a key alternative keys pop up. Gnome doesn't do this and I can't find a way to enable this feature if it exists.

:smith:

compose key sequences are way better

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
yeah but those are a traditional unix thing so there’s no chance in hell gnome will ever enable them by default, and they’ll probably go the way of xmodmap next time the keyboard handling framework gets rewritten from scratch

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
kde and all qt apps naturally support the compose key ootb, and kde makes it easy to map it to an existing key on a non-unix keyboard

gnome just goes FAAAAAAART

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
compose key is settable in the keyboard panel in the settings app in gnome, and apps support them just fine

larper
Apr 9, 2019
compose C C C P

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

compose key is settable in the keyboard panel in the settings app in gnome, and apps support them just fine

no it isn't. or i can't find it, at least. there's a setting for the level 3 modifier but that's not compose.

compose is indeed settable in gnome-tweaks, aka the useful app for changing gnome settings. but how official is that? distros don't tend to include it when you ask them to install gnome. i have absolutely no idea whether gnome-tweaks is actually supported or not, or whether what's in there today will still be there in six months.

i still use gnome, and it's generally fine with a few extensions to disable the dumber defaults, and it's the path of least resistance for lotd. but forgive me if i am a little skeptical about the gnome project's commitment to keeping old ideas alive.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
i don't have a recent installation of gnome, but it still seems to be there in the source code

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-control-center/-/blob/master/panels/keyboard/cc-keyboard-option.c#L339-347

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
idk what to tell you. I’m using gnome 3.36 on fedora 32 and there is no keyboard panel in gnome-control-center.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Probably removed it in the name of usability.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

https://twitter.com/gnome/status/1245259605388607489

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
that's a pretty good troll

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
https://github.com/oakes/vim_cubed

:q! me outta this whack-rear end cubic prison

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

i'm the locale that doesn't capitalize names of months yet still uses 12 hour time

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Soricidus posted:

idk what to tell you. I’m using gnome 3.36 on fedora 32 and there is no keyboard panel in gnome-control-center.

it's in tweak tools

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

lament configuration management

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

psiox posted:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

psiox posted:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

psiox posted:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Linux having fewer superfluous desktop environments and less needlessly duplicated effort is a pretty funny april fools day joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Clark Nova posted:

Linux having fewer superfluous desktop environments and less needlessly duplicated effort is a pretty funny april fools day joke

we all want gnome to disappear and yet it never does