Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Playing on normal

Just saw the first video after getting the zero-g propulsion equipment, heading to trauma center for I assume the pyschoscope

Have leverage, repair 1, suit inventory, dismantle

Only range weapon is the basic pistol, wrench is used as first resort.

I went from being able to handle enemies as needed to 100% unable to kill a teleporting phantom that splits into 2 during combat.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Do you not have the wrench? Save ammo by hitting mimics.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I like
- Increased Recycling Yield
- Harvest mimic organs (or whatever it's called)

At the start, and collect everything / recycle it. Then you can create neuromods from less raw material.

combat focus / psychoshock / health increase neuromod upgrades are super useful throughout the game.

Sneak around and acknowledge you're weak af at the start. That'll change though!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 19, 2020

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

pentyne posted:

Playing on normal

Just saw the first video after getting the zero-g propulsion equipment, heading to trauma center for I assume the pyschoscope

I went from being able to handle enemies as needed to 100% unable to kill a teleporting phantom that splits into 2 during combat.

Give yourself some combat upgrades, either to standard weapons or science weapons. There will be more ways for you to kill things in the near future, but for the moment if you want to feel stronger you need to be upgrading your combat abilities at least a little.

Leverage, repair, inventory size, dismantling, if it were me I would have held off on all of these non-essential upgrades until I'd buffed my survivability a bit.

Inventory size in particular I didn't upgrade until the last few hours of the game, it's just not necessary.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

QuietLion posted:

The ARTX Propulsion Gen 2 chipset, which adds a jet boost to the jetpack, it was invaluable for my No Needles Hard runs since it allowed me to just skip most combat between it and my GLOO Gun - just scale walls and avoid everything!

Aren't chipsets randomized? Or is that one static?

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby

Kibayasu posted:

Aren't chipsets randomized? Or is that one static?
This one seems to be static (it’s been the same chipset for my five total runs), though I’m unsure if that extends to all other sidequest-related chipsets. I do know the chipset you get from the scavenger hunt is also set, though its effects are dictated by if you went to each location or just knew the code beforehand and opened the cache.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Everything posted definitely makes sense, I guess my main question is do enemies respawn and get stronger as you progress the main quest? I held off exploring too much, and now that I have the general access card its worthless since a single phantom is killing me in 2-3 hits.

The game was fine if difficult up until the new ??? Mimics and phantoms that seem to have 4x more health after a certain point in the game. The stock mimics I was able to sneak up on and kill easily, and a single phantom was killed by just a couple of pistol shots plus a wrench surprise attack.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

pentyne posted:

Everything posted definitely makes sense, I guess my main question is do enemies respawn and get stronger as you progress the main quest? I held off exploring too much, and now that I have the general access card its worthless since a single phantom is killing me in 2-3 hits.

The game was fine if difficult up until the new ??? Mimics and phantoms that seem to have 4x more health after a certain point in the game. The stock mimics I was able to sneak up on and kill easily, and a single phantom was killed by just a couple of pistol shots plus a wrench surprise attack.

They don't "respawn" per se but more enemies will definitely appear in previously cleared areas and, yes, they will be stronger than the ones before.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

pentyne posted:

Playing on normal

Find the stun gun, find the shotgun. Minor spoiler but these can be found near the beginning ofnthe game in the lobby/starting area if you look around a bit (look up).

Probably the most important advice: for just about every enemy you want to stun/gloo them first, then unload with the shotgun/wrench. On some later enemies you will also want to first disable their abilities with a specific skill/grenade. Most of the enemies in this game become much more manageable when you focus on disabling them first. Once you can research enemies (you will know when you can do this), use the info given to figure out what they are weak to and what stuns them.

Sneaking helps if you find yourself overwhelmed or surprised a lot, you dont need to heavily invest in the stealth skill to do this unless you want extra damage. Most of the environments have a lot of verticality and multiple entrances which make sneaking a lot easier then other games. This is the same studio that made Dishonored and the levels are designed similarly.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 19, 2020

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

And, for what it's worth: the further you get into the game, the more manageable it gets, for most people.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

pentyne posted:

Playing on normal

You can find the stungun at this point in the game. Find it, use it, upgrade it. Its the best weapon in the game, is wickedly efficient, and makes your wrench a lot more powerful.

Hint: go back to the first area you were in and look up.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

pentyne posted:

Playing on normal

Finding the shotgun makes phantoms a lot easier to deal with, but be aware it is extremely a videogame shotgun and is basically a melee weapon. You can find it (hint): in a place where you might expect to find a weapon (solution): in the security station in the lobby

e: new enemy spawns are triggered by advancing the storyline and possibly by entering new areas (not sure on the latter) but once you clear them again that area will stay clear until you advance the story further. When I suggested exploring more carefully I didn't mean going to new areas, I meant exploring the early ones more thoroughly so you don't miss stuff like the shotgun, stun gun, and general supplies

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 20, 2020

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Ravenfood posted:

You can find the stungun at this point in the game. Find it, use it, upgrade it. Its the best weapon in the game, is wickedly efficient, and makes your wrench a lot more powerful.

Caveat: Only when fully upgraded. It's suitably sucky when you first find it, but magically turns into something completely different lategame. Unlike the shotgun, which starts out strong and never goes obsolete. Speaking of, pentyne, why don't you have the shotgun? You've not been exploring enough; many people find it before they do the pistol.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

pentyne posted:

I held off exploring too much

Here's your problem.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Wafflecopper posted:

Finding the shotgun makes phantoms a lot easier to deal with, but be aware it is extremely a videogame shotgun and is basically a melee weapon. You can find it (hint): in a place where you might expect to find a weapon (solution): in the security station in the lobby

e: new enemy spawns are triggered by advancing the storyline and possibly by entering new areas (not sure on the latter) but once you clear them again that area will stay clear until you advance the story further. When I suggested exploring more carefully I didn't mean going to new areas, I meant exploring the early ones more thoroughly so you don't miss stuff like the shotgun, stun gun, and general supplies
Big spawns are definitely plot related, but phantoms and mimics tend to spawn on area transition. Psychotronics always has phantoms and at least one poltergeist.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

pentyne posted:

The before I play wiki says "run the main quest until you get the pyschoscope" but I can't see how when I'm getting killed every time I try to enter a room.

This is your problem. I've finished Prey last week or so, and this tip is just incorrect. You need to explore as much as possible before continuing the main quest, or you'll just get destroyed by better phantoms/mimics/etc. The supposed drawback of "exploring too much" = "you are going to lose out on research subjects later on", but I've never found this to be true as even when I've explored/did all the side quests before doing the main quest, I've researched everything anyway by lategame or so.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Basic Chunnel posted:

Big spawns are definitely plot related, but phantoms and mimics tend to spawn on area transition. Psychotronics always has phantoms and at least one poltergeist.

I dunno about that, I'm fairly sure I've run through an empty Psychotronics plenty of times. Maybe transitioning into a new, previously unexplored area without advancing the plot will do it, but I think that sticking to running between already cleared areas you won't get any new spawns.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Need to spend more time up on floor 2 of the Psychotronics atrium, there is always at least one phantom roaming there.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I went from Prey to Bioshock in my immersive sim quest and I beat it yesterday and I hated it. Floaty combat and just... Blech. I was surprised I didn't like it as much as I did, considering how popular it was, but I think it was just, for a lot of people, their introduction to 0431 games and I can understand that.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
part of the problem with getting to groundbreaking, trendsetting games years after the fact is that you've probably played games since that improved heavily on the formula

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, some games are killed by their own success, it's very interesting.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

flatluigi posted:

part of the problem with getting to groundbreaking, trendsetting games years after the fact is that you've probably played games since that improved heavily on the formula

*SS2 fanboys’ blood boils *

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Serephina posted:

Yea, some games are killed by their own success, it's very interesting.

I wouldn't credit Bioshock as being killed by its success so much as disappearing up its own as by the time Bioshock:Infinite came around and completely losing the basic idea making a moral decision that doesn't necessarily effect the core gameplay.

Also some truly stupid "the truth is in the middle" for a labor uprising against a gilded era racist supremacist fundamentalist society.

:hurr: See, the oppressed and downtrodden can be just as monstrous! Now which side do you support?

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

It's not like Bioshock had good shooting for the time that aged poorly. It was always loving terrible even for its time. People either didn't know better because they hadn't played better shooters or they overlooked the shooting for other things like the atmosphere or powers. And those distractions are not as impressive anymore, leaving the shooting to have to try and stand on its own more.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
It also helped that every NPC ambusher's first shot missed

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

I was going to say "but I HAVEN'T played better games since then I've been behind the times by like 6 years per new hardware iteration because I can't ever afford a GAMING RIG and my last home console was a Genesis" but I did go from Prey 2017 to Bioshock (remastered but still) which is a shove back about 13 years so that's understandable

But then again SS2 was in 1999 and I still play that at least once a year, I think Bioshock was a lot of people's first foray into 0431 games though and so I can understand that

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
sorry to be a pedant, but it's bugging me. it's 0451.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The shotgun has a very satisfying animation, though. About the only good animation UE3 ever produced

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Rinkles posted:

sorry to be a pedant, but it's bugging me. it's 0451.

No, you're right to say that. Thank you.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
What the gently caress does that even mean? It's been driving me insane.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

451 was the door code to the first door in System Shock and then unlocks another door in SS2. In Deus Ex, it is the door lock to what is probably the first hackable/guessable door code you'll come across, as a deliberate homage to SS1 (And may be SS2). Since then it's become a shorthand for a pseudo-genre of games, and also sometimes just an in-joke. Immersive sims is another way I've heard used to describe the vague genre, but since nerds are nerds there's always quibbling about genre borders.

Bioshock also featured it as a deliberate nod, as did DE:HR, DE:MD, Prey, Dishonored, and a bunch of others I'm sure.

quote:

I think it was actually the office door code for the Looking Glass office back when SS was being made.
Neat! Never knew that's why they added it to SS1

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 22, 2020

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Floodixor posted:

I went from Prey to Bioshock in my immersive sim quest and I beat it yesterday and I hated it. Floaty combat and just... Blech. I was surprised I didn't like it as much as I did, considering how popular it was, but I think it was just, for a lot of people, their introduction to 0431 games and I can understand that.

honestly try BS2, it plays much more like a shooter than BS1 and is better for it

Angry Diplomat posted:

I think it was actually the office door code for the Looking Glass office back when SS was being made.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

honestly try BS2, it plays much more like a shooter than BS1 and is better for it

*child stamping feet in supermarket* BUT I WANT AN IMMERSIVE SIIIIIIY-YUUHM

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
After getting sick of always being gated from going somewhere due to not having repair, hacking, or leverage, I ended up maxing up leverage because I figured forcing doors and moving things would be more helpful.

Holy poo poo I did not realize how effective thrown objects are as a weapon. It almost seems unfair because 1v1 those phantoms just get destroyed by an avalanche of furniture and if I run out of missiles within 5 ft of me, just zap them with a nearly fully upgraded stun gun and go pick up a sofa or a tape deck.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Bioshock Infinite had literally one combination safe in the whole game, and the code was 0451

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

pentyne posted:

It almost seems unfair because

Let me assure you that no matter which upgrade path you go down, when you get to the end of it you start saying this.

Speaking of, [postgame spoilers] do Alex and the crew say something if you do a no-neuromod run? I'm assuming they do, but I don't remember them saying anything like "boy, she sure used a lot of neuromods," just saying whether you leaned Typhon or not.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Gonna steal all you nerds' bank cards and see how many of you have 0451 as your PIN

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Seconding this. You could go straight to the Minerva's Den DLC, which is the peak of the Bioshock series.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

flatluigi posted:

I'm not sure I'd call Bioshock "groundbreaking" since it was a three-quarter-assed rehash of SS2 (with a not-even-one-quarter-assed moral choice system tacked on).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I loved the way BioShock looked and the production values are real nice, but just about everything else felt like a regression.