Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
Just started playing switch axe and it rocks so hard. Such a fun weapon.

I’m not sure what the best damage combos are yet, though. The one I’ve figured out so far is wild swings a bunch on a downed monster, followed by overhead smash when it’s about to get up. Not sure if that’s the best for that situation though, and I also don’t really know how to use sword mode yet. Honestly sword mode feels a little lower damage than axe mode, which seems a little backwards to me.

Any tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
These are some tough angry boys

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

*throws Zorah armor into dumpster*

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn

Perfect Potato posted:

what a wildly op set lol

got any stats on the new SA/CBs?

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

wocobob posted:

what a wildly op set lol

got any stats on the new SA/CBs?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Can you not capture raging brachy anytime or is it just for the special assignment?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Cool I got 2 rajang hearts on my first clear

E: the furious rajang armor looks cool but the skills are kind of doo doo, maximum might secret and heroics secret

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 23, 2020

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Perfect Potato posted:

Holy gently caress

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
God Safi is so loving boring. "Hey what if we just took the Xeno fight and slapped on two Behemoth mechanics to it, and called it the new raid monster?" "Yep sounds good." :shepicide:

First the terrible Guiding Lands grind and their arbitrarily huge MR gating, now a straight downgrade from the Kulve fight in pretty much every way. I loved 95% of this game but the Iceborne endgame has been a huge disappointment.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I dunno Safi seems way more engaging than kulve

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

In Training posted:

Holy gently caress

Counting the weapon that's:

8 level 4 slots
1 level 3 slot
1 level 2 slot
5 level 1 slots

Set's so comically over efficient while being simultaneously inefficient in 2 slots that I'm going to have to start jamming magazine and sharp jewels into level 4 slots

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jeez that raging brachy armor looks good as hell. Did they go back and update the regular brachy weapons as well or are the new models raging only?

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Also full raging set with affinity augment is a base 60% affinity on enraged weakpoints WITH ZERO DECO INVESTMENT. It's legit crazy how many skills are in that armor

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Oh thank God raging brachy shares a tail with his normal version, he's so loving big that it's hard to hit when he's not toppled

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Cool I got 2 rajang hearts on my first clear

E: the furious rajang armor looks cool but the skills are kind of doo doo, maximum might secret and heroics secret

2p max might secret is 40% affinity at max stamina, the mm pieces are probably going to get some play

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I'm addicted to using stamina though (lance, dodging around on lbg so I don't get one shot)

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I'm at the part of the main story quest that introduces tougher versions of monsters in zones other than where they normally spawn. How close am I to where I should pick up Iceborne? It's on sale so now seems like as good a time as any.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

NeurosisHead posted:

I'm at the part of the main story quest that introduces tougher versions of monsters in zones other than where they normally spawn. How close am I to where I should pick up Iceborne? It's on sale so now seems like as good a time as any.

You're about halfway to Iceborne.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Question on safi awakens. If I already have 1 6 star awaken, will any other 6 star awakens show up show up when I upgrade or will I have to get rid of it first?

I want elemental cap 3 but I already have attack 6.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

They will, I kept getting attack 6 options when I had sharpness 6

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I wish people could join your safi quest in progress and just get full rewards. I don't give a drat if they get easy rewards without putting in the work, I'm just tired of having one or two people disconnect and then being stuck in a lovely fight. I guess at that point it's smarter to just go back and start a new one, because playing through it just means a much harder fight that ultimately gives you almost nothing for your time. Good game design!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

unironically a bit glad that they're powercreeping past safi because the amount of time required to get safi weapons maxed is miserable as someone who uses every weapon. I got 2 done so far, not sure I have the motivation to finish more with another 12 minimum to go. the fight isn't the worst but it's a letdown after katie. 3-minute looping soundtrack that's nowhere near as good as kulve's entire collection of new themes which are still the best in the game, zero feedback on progress on breaking parts with massive health pools so nothing really happens for 15 minutes until everything breaks at once, and design that's hostile to sub-groups of less than 4 in the session because parts don't get less health as you progress, are all steps back from kulve.

I don't disagree with folks who think phase 1 of katie drags her down, but she's still the best post release content they've done and I had no problem running her endlessly because the fight isn't frustrating and the spectacle is great, while I'm already feeling pretty sick of most aspects of this encounter. looking forward to the standalone KT fight with no phase 1 more than anything else.

Ciaphas posted:

Switch axers, what's your playstyle nowadays

Ever since the savage axe buff - and my enjoyment of breaking parts, severing tails, and flinching/tripping/wounding - I've not bothered to get the sword out except for morph attacks and, frankly, for variety

the same as before the expansion, which is that axe mode doesn't exist except to start the wild swing->sword transform and the rolling/fade transforms for movement

one difference is that if rocksteady/temporal's up you can also use the claw to spam ZSEDs on the exact part you want, which used to be harder to target.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
Bring back Lao shan lung and shen gaoren for some true pain

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

KT was godawful because nothing mattered until Phase 4 when you finally got to play monster hunter rand people pining for weapon lottery makes me feel like a pod person.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
Haven't logged in to fight Safi yet but I cant believe it can be worse than kulve

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Brachy is my favourite monster and I'm glad they've made him op as hell finally.

wocobob posted:

Just started playing switch axe and it rocks so hard. Such a fun weapon.

I’m not sure what the best damage combos are yet, though. The one I’ve figured out so far is wild swings a bunch on a downed monster, followed by overhead smash when it’s about to get up. Not sure if that’s the best for that situation though, and I also don’t really know how to use sword mode yet. Honestly sword mode feels a little lower damage than axe mode, which seems a little backwards to me.

Any tips?

Wild Swings > transform slash is the big damage. Sword does all of the damage if its a power phial (the only phial you should be using), get the gauge up and transform back and forth to keep the bar so you can stay in sword and see the explosions happen. Axe mode 3 Wild Swings into Overhead Chop to power up the axe is good, gives you mondo flinching AND part breaking power, but for damage its always sword.

Switchaxe is such a good gun I love it.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Idk everything about safi is kinda meh, except maybe its ultimate attack. Its just a long 4 player boss fight with against a generic looking red dragon (I mean come on, they didnt even let it keep xenos eyes). The pursuit part of kulve is lame but the fights in areas 2-4 are more interesting than Safis, both in change of arena/locale and how the boss fight changes.

The rewards system for safi is a lot better though.

RobotsLoveSpectres posted:

Haven't logged in to fight Safi yet but I cant believe it can be worse than kulve

It doesnt have any of the pursuit bs that Kulve did and its easier to get a specific weapon/upgrade that you want. It just feels kinda samey once you done it a couple of times.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 23, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dyz posted:

(I mean come on, they didnt even let it keep xenos eyes)
this is the worst part about it

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

unironically a bit glad that they're powercreeping past safi because the amount of time required to get safi weapons maxed is miserable as someone who uses every weapon. I got 2 done so far, not sure I have the motivation to finish more with another 12 minimum to go. the fight isn't the worst but it's a letdown after katie. 3-minute looping soundtrack that's nowhere near as good as kulve's entire collection of new themes which are still the best in the game, zero feedback on progress on breaking parts with massive health pools so nothing really happens for 15 minutes until everything breaks at once, and design that's hostile to sub-groups of less than 4 in the session because parts don't get less health as you progress, are all steps back from kulve.

I disagree with pretty much everything about this. It takes around 2-3 full runs to get enough Dracolite to max out any given weapon and it's really easy to get the specific weapon you want since you get 1 guaranteed of your equipped weapon and all Safi weapons have normalized stats anyway. In contrast to Kulve's unmitigated RNG bullshit where you had literal hundreds of crap weapons to sift through to get the 1 that was BiS.

The Safi fight itself is refreshingly straightforward with just enough gimmicks to keep it interesting in each phase, while has Kulve's 4 phases and the first seems designed to waste your time.

Overall Safi is a far less frustrating experience than Kulve Taroth, who caused me to burn out on MH entirely when she first came out.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
By far the worst part of Safi is rolling the dice on random lobbies that are running it not being garbage. But that was a problem with Kulve too.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What the gently caress was that last leg of the Raging Brachydios fight

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

No way in hell am I fighting Furious George, after what went through just now.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Neo_Crimson posted:

By far the worst part of Safi is rolling the dice on random lobbies that are running it not being garbage. But that was a problem with Kulve too.

Yeah its weird, maybe its just because safis new on pc but I keep on getting really bad pubs. I havent been able to sleep bomb her once because everytime I put her to sleep some person is just button mashing on her.

Also pubbies really like stealing all the lifepowers in the item box.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The footprint huffing part of KT was lame, but the actual fight portion and monster herself are still great, and the armor is cool.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

No way in hell am I fighting Furious George, after what went through just now.

I feel like furious rajang is actually easier than raging brachy, but maybe I just got a good group against F Rajang who I've only fought once and I've already farmed R Brachy enough to craft his full armor set and 3 weapons (10 hunts).

F Rajang you can trap while R Brachy you can't. If you have any CC (para, stickies, sleep) you want it save if for the final part so you can cut that phase short. I think he usually starts unenraged in that zone so you can flinchshot him against the right wall if yo'ure quick. A health booster helps a lot since you can just fight through the burning. His big explosion attack has a pretty big tell and once you fight him a few times you get a lot better at telling when his slime puddles drop and how to avoid them (the worst is when he's in a pitfall trap and you can't even see the puddle underbeath the dirt ring of the trap.

E: also there's a ruiner nerg in the rajang quest that turf wars with him and deal a big chunk of damage

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 23, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Are Safi weapons enough of an improvement that I can't just go 'eh gently caress it' and still be viable?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

drat, head breaks are tough on Safi with how much he moves it. Still need 5 more to finish the armor, too.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

MikeJF posted:

Are Safi weapons enough of an improvement that I can't just go 'eh gently caress it' and still be viable?

Safi weapons are so wildly more powerful that it's no contest. That said, unless you're a speed runner it doesn't really matter what you use, especially in multiplayer.

I'm already sick of seeing Safi weapons all over PC. I don't particularly like the look of them either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I like the long sword, dual blades, and great sword, and the axe form of the switch axe is alright. The rest are pretty drat ugly though, but it doesn't matter as soon as the raging brachy weapons are on PC.

On a side note, I went back to AT nerg in MR gear to get the ticket for the layered armor, and boy is that fight still some bullshit with instant elbow drops. Fortunately nothing is a one shot with MR gear and it's easy to flinch lock him, but boy I still ate a lot of delayed spikes and hard knockdowns. AT luna and toaster are probably still going to be rough.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Mar 23, 2020