Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An cruiscin lan
Mar 4, 2020

echinopsis posted:

I had to shave

F M L

now you can tell I don't have a chin :cry:

Get one of those fashionable face mask that all the cool kids are wearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

An cruiscin lan posted:

Get one of those fashionable face mask that all the cool kids are wearing.

i think thats the reason he had to shave in the first place

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
lol Marin got flooded with people so now all the parks are locking up

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

lol our remote desktop wrapper blocks access to peripherals to prevent you printing from home, but all it's doing is pre-setting the resource usage option in the RDP connection so if you close it and manually RDP to the localhost vpn connection you can do whatever you like

now everyone can see my stupid head on my webcam :mrwhite:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Here I am again

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Jonny 290 posted:

you can join synirc #yospos if you want to read celexi obsessively typing people's names over and over and other people posting the n-word ironically tho

ironically?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

theadder posted:

they were killing them you silly goon

the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the individual

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

canceling a lot of travel today, was going to be an interesting year. oh well, there's always 2022.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

workin hard or hardly workin

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

all non-essentials told to stop using the vpn
today going to be a unproductive day

can't wait until I get the email that im working the 4am shift.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Shaman Linavi posted:

lol

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
My boss says that it's important to get up every few hours and get outside. Just walk around the block and make sure you're moving around enough.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
our governor is on tv telling us we cant go outside right now

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

well i'm starting to go stir-crazy and i spent last night making a set of classic mac os icon fridge magnets:

they press-fit (depending on your printer's tolerances ofc) a 10mm x 2mm rare-earth magnet, or 3mm if you want extra power, except for clarus the dogcow which fits an 8mm one because there wasn't enough room for the larger magnet. if your slicer supports layer pauses, you can use that to make the black pixels by pausing at 3mm and switching filament, or if not then just print in white and color the top with a sharpie. you may want to turn on elephant foot compensation.

here is the stl if you wanna do it. thingiverse is taking a big dump these days so they're on the first website i found when i googled "free file host."

https://gofile.io/?c=Yrlxaq

if you don't want to buy two sizes of magnets you can cut clarus out of the pack and scale her up by 1.248x but that's a pretty scrubly move because then the pixel weights won't all be the same.

credit for the original art of course goes to the excellent susan kare

This is awesome, but I can't get that file thing to work. Can you try posting it on something like https://send.firefox.com/ ?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

the tubes are only so big.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

our governor is on tv telling us we cant go outside right now

man, i struggle to believe that the added health benefits over just not meeting up with people will outweigh that of people getting a bit of fresh air and exercise. but fingers crossed it turns out for the best.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah none of the other state shutdown orders have totally banned going outside so he's probably wrong about that. it should be safe to go outside as long as you stay away from other people, don't touch anything unnecessarily, and wash your hands when you get back inside. fresh air for the purpose of mental health is going to be important now that social lives are effectively banned

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lancemantis posted:

lol Marin got flooded with people so now all the parks are locking up
you mean the people of marin "measles cluster" county aren't taking an infectious disease seriously?

telling rich people they can't go to the beach is the greatest crime of all

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

man, i struggle to believe that the added health benefits over just not meeting up with people will outweigh that of people getting a bit of fresh air and exercise. but fingers crossed it turns out for the best.

There's no question that it's healthier to be out and active while staying away from people than to just hole up entirely. For these total lockdown orders you can thank the morons who were told to stay away from crowds but immediately went to party on the beach or started packing the grocery stores.

Big "teacher keeping the whole class in from recess because of three kids who won't quiet down" energy

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

one of my coworkers is getting grumpy about remote work but the state just shut down so he cant ruin this for everyone

Shaman Linavi posted:

today going to be a unproductive day

can't wait until I get the email that im working the 4am shift.

look we could either figure out a way to make the vpn work or we could not. the latter required a lot less effort and money.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sagebrush posted:

There's no question that it's healthier to be out and active while staying away from people than to just hole up entirely. For these total lockdown orders you can thank the morons who were told to stay away from crowds but immediately went to party on the beach or started packing the grocery stores.

Big "teacher keeping the whole class in from recess because of three kids who won't quiet down" energy

these orders are also coming from people who will be going home to their loving families and getting interaction that way

gonna be a lot of fallout from basically sentencing some people to indefinite solitary confinement

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Sagebrush posted:

yup that's how i've been explaining it to my friends. the majority of us are putting in the sacrifice to make up for the dipshits who don't understand the concept of shared sacrifice. if we're lucky our combined efforts will have been enough to overcome their selfishness and they'll all be :smug:ing out once this is all over how this was all unnecessary, completely ignorant that we were the ones who saved their asses

it's very frustrating but whatcha gonna do?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

you work in education, why are you surprised people behave like this?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

c-wfh-s: actually have work to do from home this week, but hoo-boy am i not feeling particularly motivated at the moment.

MA governor announced all non-essential business must close by noon tomorrow, lasting until 4/7. the list of what is considered essential though is quite broad. and despite the fact that this has no effect on grocery stores, I fully expect them to be an absolute clusterfuck the next couple days because people are dumb

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

SO DEMANDING posted:

c-wfh-s: actually have work to do from home this week, but hoo-boy am i not feeling particularly motivated at the moment.

MA governor announced all non-essential business must close by noon tomorrow, lasting until 4/7. the list of what is considered essential though is quite broad. and despite the fact that this has no effect on grocery stores, I fully expect them to be an absolute clusterfuck the next couple days because people are dumb

yeah this

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
im almost out of coffee. this is the worst disaster in human history

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SO DEMANDING posted:

if it's anything like california it will take about a week to stabilize

i went to the grocery store 10 days ago and there was a line of cars out into the street waiting to park and everyone was running out with toilet paper and bottled water

i went again 6 days ago and they were sold out of potatoes, onions, all dairy, toilet paper, water, canned foods, etc

i went again yesterday and it was pretty much back to normal so i guess all the hoarders are stocked up.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Shaggar posted:

im almost out of coffee. this is the worst disaster in human history

shaggar how could you have let this happen?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I was not prepared

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
i get coffee beans delivered every week from the drinktrade company and it owns

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
ive been in a story pointing meeting for like an hour and weve pointed 3 things i think, i honestly cant keep track oops

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
I have coffee but my home coffee machine (a lovely nespresso pod thing) that I didnt use in a while turns out to be broken

I can't even attempt to repair it myself bc in a giant gently caress you move they went out of their way to use screws with ovoid shaped heads that I can't possibly force open even with pliers

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
they told us the survivors would envy the dead, but I did not believe them

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

I still think that they should have banned access to the outdoors on a more targeted basis. Here (France) everything is shut (except public toilets) including the beaches/basically all outdoor spaces and you aren't meant to be outdoors for more than a 20m solitary jog. They have fairly heavy enforcement, including handling and speaking to obviously compliant people (they were polite to me but I'm a white guy). There seems to be no benefit to that over just asking for papers from groups of people.

Is outdoor transmission to strangers even a significant mode of transmission?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Zlodo posted:

I have coffee but my home coffee machine (a lovely nespresso pod thing) that I didnt use in a while turns out to be broken

I can't even attempt to repair it myself bc in a giant gently caress you move they went out of their way to use screws with ovoid shaped heads that I can't possibly force open even with pliers

just 3d print yourself the correct driver. they can't be torqued down all that tightly. use like a carbon-reinforced nylon or polyester if you're worried about it breaking.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

qirex posted:

you mean the people of marin "measles cluster" county aren't taking an infectious disease seriously?

telling rich people they can't go to the beach is the greatest crime of all

It's not just about rich people not going to the beach (although I personally am upset that I can't walk on a previously deserted beach). Vast numbers of already isolated, frail and vulnerable people are becoming even more so and so far there has been no movement towards finding safe ways to reduce the impact of the lockdown safely.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

pointsofdata posted:

Is outdoor transmission to strangers even a significant mode of transmission?

not really. so far as we know the virus does not hang around in the air for very long after being sneezed or coughed out so as long as no one does either of those things directly at you you should be ok. the primary means of transmission is thought to be surface contact. hence the emphasis on washing your hands, not touching your face outdoors, and sneezing/coughing into your elbow, the most effective stifling maneuver

this does not stop me from being constantly anxious that I or my SO are not staying the recommended 6 feet from people when outside

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

haveblue posted:

not really. so far as we know the virus does not hang around in the air for very long after being sneezed or coughed out so as long as no one does either of those things directly at you you should be ok. the primary means of transmission is thought to be surface contact. hence the emphasis on washing your hands, not touching your face outdoors, and sneezing/coughing into your elbow, the most effective stifling maneuver

this does not stop me from being constantly anxious that I or my SO are not staying the recommended 6 feet from people when outside

That's good to hear. I read a thread on twitter about how most transmission was from prolonged contact indoors but idk how much evidence they had

I'm in a moderately well to do area but people have been really good about leaving loads of space, facing away as they pass etc. It would be cool if there was a convention of "walk on the right hand side" pavement, "walk around this path clockwise" etc

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

pointsofdata posted:

The big mystery to me is why it's so bad in Italy but not bad in Japan. Some of it is probably different statistics methods, but there aren't loads of stories about Japanese hospitals being overwhelmed like in Italy. Mask wearing and social practices might also be relevant, but you have to wonder if the way hospitals are treating patients is not-optimal in Italy, if they can't provide top quality care then is taking an I'll person into the company of lots of other I'll people actually helping anyone?

i would say it is a combination of:
* japan is clean as gently caress
* all workers in japan do yearly medical exams and are in reasonably good health
* social interactions mostly do not involve physical contact and being close to each other
* culture of wearing masks when sick to prevent transmiting to others
* government seems not to test too much in order to save face and keep the olympics on
* a lot of wfh policies set up by companies and active effort to cooperate to reduce risk
* culture of disaster preparedness
* small social circles outside of work
* lots of old people so there is a lot of hospitals/retirement homes already per inhabitant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Sagebrush posted:

just 3d print yourself the correct driver. they can't be torqued down all that tightly. use like a carbon-reinforced nylon or polyester if you're worried about it breaking.

sadly i got caugh in the apocalypse without even owning a 3d printer (or even a drill)

anyway even if I had managed to open the thing I have no idea if I could have actually fixed it, it's just that maybe if it's something trivial like a pipe that got loose I might have been able to do something