Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Just encountered a smallish bug, the game generated two digsites on the same planet (hidden world and the sentinals) when hidden world conpleted i couldnt select the other one.

I've had the exact same thing happen yesterday! You can select the site from your situation log and assign a scientist that way. I know it works cuz the dig site ate my scientist.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

RandomBlue posted:

I like Stellaris and I've put almost 400 hours into it but god drat this war system sucks. I've got one rank in Pacifist and I get attacked. They take one colony system of my ally (but not the colony) and I take 10 systems and one colony and we're just barely winning this war. 17% to 22%, then of course I wasn't allowed to chose conquest as a war goal so after all this I have to give it all back, though those systems will change ethics. Woopity loving doo.

Yes, the war system is objectively terrible. It's unintuitive, backwards, and the empires that do war best do so by avoiding it entirely (total war).

But for what it's worth, some things to know for your next war:
-You don't keep poo poo without having a claim on it
-Everyone can lay claims in a defensive war, with no penalties
-As soon as war starts, pause and go lay claim to everything you can. NOW you can declare your wargoal as conquest.
-The AI will refuse to surrender unless you reach ALL your wargoals, but a white truce with conquest goals lets both sides keep what they took, which is exactly what a normal war should be.
-War exhaustion is total horseshit, and heavily favors fleet losses over inconsequential things like having every system occupied. The good news is that all it does is allow the other side to force a white truce two years after 100% is reached, so you can just ignore it if you're winning and taking claimed lands.
-If you gone done hosed up and declared liberation as a wargoal, you will keep nothing, but will at least take poo poo away from him. This can be used when roleplaying (or out of necessity, for an Inward Perfectionist) to break up big empires into tiny pieces that like you.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Still annoyed that unrestricted warfare doctrine also precludes waging wars of ideology for no reason

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Psycho Landlord posted:

Still annoyed that unrestricted warfare doctrine also precludes waging wars of ideology for no reason

I appreciate the implied assumption that a 'war of ideology' is obviously a bullshit excuse used by warmongers, so once you go full mask-off why would you need that option?!

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Splicer posted:

Too long for thread title?

Donald trump: *stares into camera* "The federation virus."

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Hey uh, do you have a font mod or something? UI scaling? Anything like that?

Pretty sure your font looks better then mine...

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Xik posted:

Stellaris applies DPI scaling to the game if you have DPI scaling enabled in Windows. Try running the game in fullscreen mode and UI scaling at 1.0. Of course everything will be smaller then. Personally I am content with the mushy font and use 1.3x scaling.

I wish game makers made the UI with CSS or something so it would render pixel-perfect no matter what rez user is using.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

I feel there's a good thread title in coronavirus + Origin Trail but it's not coming together

Wait how does chrome not know coronavirus is a word

Stellaris: Live-action Doomsday Origin

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Xik posted:

I think it's the standard, I use Dynamic Overhaul UI mod but I don't think it changes the fonts.

Question: I have a colossus, I have a (AE) rival, but I can't declare Colossus war, only containment. Is that cause they're an awakened empire?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I nearly got to share a border with devouring swarm. Just some asshat snagged three systems from under my nose, altough his empire was far away. Does wormhole reduce the influence distance penalty to zero?

Well, at least I'm on good terms with him and we have open borders and sensor link. I guess I can just sail through his systems and start to eat the devouring swarm's systems myself the next time Federation leadership passes to me.

With a Fed fleet and some of my own fleets I could hopefully get some wins against the devouring swarm. I don't want to commit all of my fleets in case crap hits the fan and some other hostile civilizations try to backstab and conquer my systems.

Are there any limits on war with devouring swarm? Can I just declare and end wars whenever I want? No 10 year truce timer?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ihmemies posted:

Does wormhole reduce the influence distance penalty to zero?

Yes, the distance penalty is calculated on the number of jumps from your closest system, and a wormhole simply counts like a really long hyperlane in this regard.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I have no idea how you get these diverse fleets when fleet manager just shits the bed constantly now. So often I'll just have it be unable to reinforce a fleet because there's 3 things queued for that fleet on -1 seconds.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
finally i can live my dream of creating a planet staffed entirely by bureaucrats

the joke is i use habitats since they offer a 1:1 housing/crat and then you can set them to bureaucracy complex for the sweet sweet bonus admin cap. seems like these things are made for each other tbh

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Natural 20 posted:

I have no idea how you get these diverse fleets when fleet manager just shits the bed constantly now. So often I'll just have it be unable to reinforce a fleet because there's 3 things queued for that fleet on -1 seconds.

I've hit this a half-dozen times, and a good workaround is to move all ships to a new fleet (in bulk -- click once per ship type). The new fleet might have a different name, but it'll have the same leader, and you'll be able to use the fleet manager to increase the counts of the phantom ships that won't build, then reinforce as normal.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

One thing that I've found fixing the fleet manager a lot is upgrading the fleet to a new template.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Sloober posted:

finally i can live my dream of creating a planet staffed entirely by bureaucrats

the joke is i use habitats since they offer a 1:1 housing/crat and then you can set them to bureaucracy complex for the sweet sweet bonus admin cap. seems like these things are made for each other tbh

Penpusher Orbital is a great idea!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Ihmemies posted:

I nearly got to share a border with devouring swarm. Just some asshat snagged three systems from under my nose, altough his empire was far away. Does wormhole reduce the influence distance penalty to zero?

Well, at least I'm on good terms with him and we have open borders and sensor link. I guess I can just sail through his systems and start to eat the devouring swarm's systems myself the next time Federation leadership passes to me.

With a Fed fleet and some of my own fleets I could hopefully get some wins against the devouring swarm. I don't want to commit all of my fleets in case crap hits the fan and some other hostile civilizations try to backstab and conquer my systems.

Are there any limits on war with devouring swarm? Can I just declare and end wars whenever I want? No 10 year truce timer?

You get the end threat cb. Other than that the same rules apply - 10 years truce, enemy needs to agree to status quo. Which is actually harder because you'll have less occupation score cuz the stuff flips immediately due to the total war cb, iirc.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Aethernet posted:

Penpusher Orbital is a great idea!

they're the stations nobody wants to visit they have zero amenities and are staffed by insufferable red tape creators where you have to sign 47 forms in triplicate just to leave your office building

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Stellaris: Cassus Belli "Didn't wash hands"

e: The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Stellaris: Social distancing to avoid border friction

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 23, 2020

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

Sloober posted:

they're the stations nobody wants to visit they have zero amenities and are staffed by insufferable red tape creators where you have to sign 47 forms in triplicate just to leave your office building

All paperwork must be submitted in person to the intake desk at this orbital with no air locks sitting alone at saturn’s Lagrange 4 point.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Stellaris: Cassus Belli "Didn't wash hands"

e: The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Stellaris: Social distancing to avoid border friction

Tempted simply by, "The Purge of the Unclean".

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Splicer posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Stellaris: Casus Belli: spelling Cassus Belli

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Just encountered a smallish bug, the game generated two digsites on the same planet (hidden world and the sentinals) when hidden world conpleted i couldnt select the other one.

If you park a science ship in orbit of the planet, can you select the second digsite from the situation log?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Bofast posted:

If you park a science ship in orbit of the planet, can you select the second digsite from the situation log?

As I hinted at earlier, you don't even need to do that!

You just need to select the second digsite, assign a scientist, and said scientist will drag his science ship all the way there.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

canepazzo posted:

Question: I have a colossus, I have a (AE) rival, but I can't declare Colossus war, only containment. Is that cause they're an awakened empire?

Yeah it is, but Containment is a total war CB anyway.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Dude, Where's My Juggernaut and half of my fleets?

Seriously, did my save corrupt or it happens?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Juggernauts have been disappearing on reload. Don't know about your fleets, though.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Were they in a system where a special event that would normally blow up a starbase happened? Juggs are coded as moving starbases and are affected by event pops that blow up starbases, because of course :v:

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
I dunno, its my second game :v:
I had 4 of my fleets scattered around an enemy system, nothing unusual. Clicked 'upgrade fleet' on each so they will route to Juggernaut and saved via logging out (ironman mode) just in case. I was going to declare war. So I log back in and went straight for declaring. War starts and my fleets are in pieces of 1 to 5 ships without leaders even farther around the target system and no juggernaut :(

What's a special event that blows up a starbase?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Re: thread name,

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Stellaris: Fanatic Self-Isolationists

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

AntherUslessPoster posted:

I dunno, its my second game :v:
I had 4 of my fleets scattered around an enemy system, nothing unusual. Clicked 'upgrade fleet' on each so they will route to Juggernaut and saved via logging out (ironman mode) just in case. I was going to declare war. So I log back in and went straight for declaring. War starts and my fleets are in pieces of 1 to 5 ships without leaders even farther around the target system and no juggernaut :(

What's a special event that blows up a starbase?

Probably not what happened to you, they're all big pause the game moments like crises spawning. Interesting that it happened while poo poo was en route for an upgrade though, if that's reproducible we might have found out what causes it.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Xerophyte posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Stellaris: Fanatic Self-Isolationists

this is my current winner. You all have till 5pm GMT tomorrow to do better before I GO TO THE MODS

or tell me you hate it really emphatically

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Xerophyte posted:

This is good

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Xerophyte posted:

I haven't been following this thread at all for a while, but I've been occasionally skimming the last page of it since Federations came out. So I don't know how much my vote should could, but that title is amazing.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Xerophyte posted:

Yes.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I have been playing with the origins

Retooled and ran as inward perfection ringworld roaches.

Built to maximize pop growth and colonize no other planets... also make my districts cheaper with efficient arcitechture

Started with about 100 food a month so I quickly fired off the policy and planet edict to boost growth. I saved where I could and sold food to uncover my tunnel with crystals which I used to build the trade segment.

Food dropped hard but I got so much money and consumer goods from the merchants and artisans.

used the increased income to get the science tunnel done and built a science segment.

-> OH GOD MY INCOME/FOOD

and then, Holy poo poo look how fast these techs are coming. I was pumping out a tech a year from all three starting in the early 22-Teens. I used the increased income from technologies to just buy enough food to keep running while my pop grew from the techs that boost that.

Downside overall: Everyone hates me and wants to hurt me because I closed borders and am xenophobic. Also these is a large advanced empire (some ai is lost colony, rear end in a top hat) that hates me but is pacifist so hopefully they won't burn me?

I think I later want to give a go on machine empire for this and for a megacorp start. I think there might be... profits to be had.

Overall the ringworld start is very strong if you can use your starting food income to get some advantages, but you will be a target for your opponents.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xerophyte posted:

Yes

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Honestly it's pretty disappointing that despite creating favors and diplomatic weight and all that to allow you to influence other empire's votes, federations themselves remain a black box. Not only can you not use favors or any other way to influence other federation member's votes, you can't even see why they would vote a certain way. Trying to invite other empires to your federation is a crapshoot where you can't tell why no one wants it and when trying to change laws the only modifiers Ive seen are the base -50 and a Wants Federation Development for +100 which is useless information. As far as I can tell the only way to get anything done as a federation is to get the rule that makes votes by diplomatic weight and brute force everything, which ruins the roleplaying aspects that seem to be what most of the new federation mechanics are actually useful for. And federation xp being limited solely by cohesion seems like another missed opportunity where you lock fun behind filling a bar instead of anything dynamic or interesting.

The origins and galactic community are fun enough, but overall i'd say this expansion is an easy one to pass over.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The pacifist will come for you if you're an inward perfectionist. Fanatic Pacifists can't, but regular ones will merrily pop an ideology war for no reason other than they want to see you burn. IW generally sees a lot more combat than most empires, make sure you have a very large fleet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
It's super weird how favors don't *shift* the 10% weight but instead jut create a new 10% out of thin air, can't wait for someone to completely break it by like feeding friendly subjects with free favors.

Also the trade federation is super good for megacorps but in the weird way where you're perfectly fine inviting a single rando ally just for the fact of establishing the fed for the sweet trade policy and then just leaving spare envoys in it to get some extra trade value every once in a while.

Like, it's still useful to have extra allies for general defense/fleet size purposes, but going minimum effort and treating it as just a Very Good Tradition Giving Extra Trade is kinda ridiculous already.

Also is it just me, or is AI super shy about bidding for the Golden rule? I consistently keep winning the challenge with like 5k of energy, which is both a complete non-issue by the time you farm up to the necessary level and honestly probably pays for itself through reinvestment.