Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Cardiovorax posted:

It's all about equipment, really. Think of Nioh as a Diablo clone with Soulslike combat. Prefixes and suffixes and magic modifiers and all that jazz. Stats matter exactly as far as you need them to improve your equipment, but basically no farther than that. You can pump everything except for the bare minimum into health and stamina (which is actually not a bad idea) and be pretty much fine. I would concentrate on making sure you can upgrade your preferred weapons first, then make sure you can equip preferred type of armor, then bring Spirit to 25 (because that is good for everything and unlocks additional spirit powers) and then consider if you want to pump the stats that enable Onmyo magic or ninja tricks.

From there, it's basically up to you, because it doesn't matter a lot anymore.

Huh, I never considered it that way, that'd explain the poo poo-zillion loot drops- thanks for all the information!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Omi no Kami posted:

Huh, I never considered it that way, that'd explain the poo poo-zillion loot drops- thanks for all the information!
No problem. I hope you enjoy it. Nioh is a really good game once you figure out how to deal with it on its own terms.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

owl_pellet posted:

Is the site down?

Yes, for a stupid reason. I got an email from my hosting provider saying that they were migrating to a new server, so please update your DNS servers.

I went and did it and forgot about it. Today I see that the site's no loading (And nor are any of my other sites). I went back to check the email, and it turns out they wrote "please change your DNS servers no earlier than Monday", which I think is a little unclear.

Long story short, the site's fine but we have to wait for the DNS changes I've just made to propagate.

Edit: It's back up.

ahobday fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Mar 18, 2020

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
I was poking through the site, and the entry I wrote for Master of Magic ~10 years ago uses the term "spergy", which I guess is a no-no word nowadays. Maybe use this instead:

* There's a high score table, but getting ultra high scores requires a LOT of tedious micromanagement. I really don't recommend it for the average player.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Gynovore posted:

~10 years ago
I feel old.

I'll fix it once the server comes back up. Also, server's down again.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Gynovore posted:

I was poking through the site, and the entry I wrote for Master of Magic ~10 years ago uses the term "spergy", which I guess is a no-no word nowadays. Maybe use this instead:

* There's a high score table, but getting ultra high scores requires a LOT of tedious micromanagement. I really don't recommend it for the average player.

The first post in this channel was in 2008. 12 years ago. What. What is happening. Thank you all for everything.

Also I've updated the page.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I still can't connect.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PMush Perfect posted:

I still can't connect.

It's working for me. Given that ahobday said it was a DNS issue before, it's likely that you've got the other address cached. Running "ipconfig /flushdns" without the quotes from a command prompt on a windows machine will flush your local DNS cache and make it pull from whatever your DNS server is the next time you connect.

It could also be that whatever DNS server you're using doesn't check for updates yet and simply hasn't pulled the updated address but since that was yesterday I would hope that's not the case. :thunk:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

PMush Perfect posted:

I still can't connect.
Your DNS cache might be stuck on the old provider name, which makes your system unable to resolve the address. Open an administrator shell and enter the command "ipconfig /flushdns" to resolve the problem, if that's what is causing it.

e:f,b

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

No luck. I'll try again tomorrow.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Centipeed you're a total boss.

In other news, I bought Anno 1404 / Dawn of Discovery recently. Anyone have any tips for me? I am completely new to these types of games. I know that they can get pretty deep which may lead to a huge list so I would appreciate even just new player stuff. Thanks.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I haven't played Anno 1404 specifically, but these games all have a lot of basic things in common, so I think more generalized advice will still be at least somewhat helpful.

First thing you should know is that not everything you need (or want) will be available on every island, so there's no point in looking for the perfect location that has everything. There never is one. One thing you definitely want is the ability to produce your own tools, which are an important resource that is needed for basically everything and anything and which require the presence of iron. If you can't, you'll need to buy them instead, and they're both expensive and only ever available in limited amounts.

Secondly, you will want to make sure that you have plenty of space for expansion. Your main island will be taking up both the lion's share of your attention and eventually provide the majority of your income. You want somewhere that has enough usable space so that you can not only provide basic necessities to your citizens through farms and the local production of goods, but also eventually place all the buildings that your culture (I think there are two) requires to progress up the "civic development" scale. The civilian housing you place will upgrade itself based on how many of the required buildings you can place in their range and how many of the required goods you can provide and then keep providing while they are slowly being used up.

Ideally, you also want to be able to produce at least one luxury good for trading purposes. For much of the early game, taxes will not be able to make up for your expenses, so you need some other way to provide at least a limited income until you become more self-sufficient.

Once you've managed to get to that point, you'll want to colonize additional islands to provide whatever resources and trade goods you can't produce locally. You can set up automated shipping routes for that once you get there, so it's fairly low maintenance. Then you can concentrate on just pushing your main colony's development as high as possible and produce troops to conquer the map, or whatever other victory conditions you may have chosen at the start of the game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

owl_pellet posted:

Centipeed you're a total boss.

In other news, I bought Anno 1404 / Dawn of Discovery recently. Anyone have any tips for me? I am completely new to these types of games. I know that they can get pretty deep which may lead to a huge list so I would appreciate even just new player stuff. Thanks.

The "campaign" is really like a long tutorial? Some people like it and some don't. The main game is actually just starting your own scenarios and playing them for as long as you stand to, like sim city.

Unlike sim city, there's no zoning, if you're familiar with that. This is very similar to Caesar / Pharaoh style games, but isn't too different from Sim City I guess. But its also its own thing.

The main thing is just getting your typical villagers to tier up so you get more of higher tier villagers, which unlocks new buildings.

Each tier has needs, and you'll need to manufacture those needs to get them to advance, and continue to balance that as you grow more people and tier up those people too.

You generally want to have a huge residential area with all those things, and then have industry balanced around that which generates the things you need.

Like Cardiovorax said, a big thing is creating shipping lanes between islands, so you can build a "colony" on an island that exists purely to generate a resource that you then ship back to your main continent to fulfill a need and tier up your dudes.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also IIRC there's a fan patch out there that fixes a whole lot of minor bugs and errors, like incorrect tooltips and such. Worth looking into.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I rewrote the tips for The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings and added my own. I copied the stealth bit directly, because it's such a half-assed gameplay element in this game.

Starting the game:
- If you have a Witcher 1 save then it imports some Orens (gold) and items, plus it may have minor dialogue influences. The items imported are not that much better than what you start with by default. Any imported items start in your inventory, they are not automatically equipped.
- The game creates a new save whenever it saves, it never overwrites old ones. At some point in Act 2 it's probably wise to delete some of them to make loading times quicker. Don't do it in-game, find the proper folder on your hard drive instead. With the Steam version, disable Steam Cloud, otherwise it'll put old those deleted saves right back.
- A highly recommended mod is Better Shop Sale Prices. With this mod merchants will buy things from you at 1/5 of THEIR price, by default it’s 1/24. This feels better than hoarding everything to sell it later and/or getting a mod that removes item weight from the game.
- There is an infinite storage chest that is available in every act. In Flotsam (Act 1) you can find it in the basement of the inn. You can also access these storage chests by talking to an innkeeper.

Combat:
- The Enhanced Edition of the game added a much needed tutorial. You should also do the flashback sequences in the Prologue in order, from top to bottom (during Roche’s interrogation).
- You will get murdered if you leap into the middle of a group of guys, which is all too easy to do early on. Don't be afraid to do a strategic retreat: attack, roll away, attack - etc. If you are getting closed in then run away a bit. If you are in an enclosed area it may be hard to find space, but just keep moving. Never stop rolling.
- Left-click is a quick strike and right-click is a heavy blow. You should favor the quick hit early on, but a good way to take someone down quickly is to do a couple of quick hits followed by a heavy hit. Quick hits even work on armored guys: if you try to take someone down just using heavy hits then they will usually counter you. You can do a lot of damage if you attack someone from behind or the side, and the same applies when they attack you.
- It is hard to block fast opponents. It is easier to block slow opponents, but they can still damage you (the block just reduces damage). Blocking uses Vigor (stamina) the same as Signs (spells), so if you have no Vigor you cannot block. Blocking is not that useful compared to dodging at the beginning.
- Get the Riposte skill in the Swordmanship tree. It's good regardless of your build, but there are a number of sections where you're playing a different character, and Riposte is the only Witcher skill you have that carries over.

Signs:
- Aard can stun people but it is not that reliable at the start.
- Yrden places a trap on the group that can completely disable one foe - very useful if you have the space to use it.
- Igni does not do enough damage at the start.
- Quen should be your default Sign most of the time, since it protects you from being staggered and blocks damage. Note that you do not regenerate Vigor when Quen is active.
- Axii is good at the start of an encounter to mind control one person to be on your side. You have to power up Axii by holding the "Q" key down, so it is only useful before the fight starts, unless you can run a distance away.

Items for combat:
- Use your potions and bombs. They make a big difference and it is easy to make lots of them not too far into the game.
- You will start with the Herbalist Gloves in your inventory. Equip these to get 2 items when you pluck flowers/mushrooms, which you'll use to craft potions, bombs and oils.
- If you are intimidated by the amount of choice, you can always benefit from these items:
Potions: Swallow (buffs health regeneration), Rook and Golden Oriole.
Bombs: Samum or Zerrikanian Sun (you'll have to buy the recipe for the latter).
Sword oil: Falka's Blood.

General:
- Pressing "Z" activates the wolf medallion which highlights objects, most importantly the loot dropped by enemies. It also reveals magical auras and environmental hazards.
- There are three dialogue "skills": Persuasion, Intimidation and Axii Hex. They have a base chance to succeed and they’ll improve by using them successfully.
- Save at least one copy of EACH of the following ingredients in your storage chest: Endrega Embryo, Troll Tongue, Arachas Eye, Essence of Death, Queen Endrega's Pheromones and Bullivore Brain.
- Mutagens are permanent stat boosts that you can apply to certain skills. They don't change the skill itself. Only skills that are near the end of one the skill trees will have a slot for a Mutagen, so you will not get to use them a lot. Avoid Lesser Mutagens entirely, you want Greater quality. However Concentration, Range and Madness (the best Mutagen) only come in Basic quality.
- The Impregnation skill in the Alchemy tree increases the stat bonus from Mutagens, but it doesn't work on the Mutagens you have already applied. So if you want to maximize the bonus from Mutagens, don't use them until you've put 2 skill points into this skill.
- The skills in the Alchemy tree that say "X while poisoned" refer to the toxicity you gain from drinking potions. They don't refer to being poisoned by enemies.
- You can buy books OR kill a lot of monsters to learn about them. For example, you won't know how to get rid of the Endrega until you gained knowledge about them. Some books that are not monster related play a role in other quests.
- They don't explain the arm wrestling, but you need to gently move your mouse to the right while keeping the icon inside the yellow area.
- There is one easily missable quest in Flotsam (Act 1). Be sure to visit the Blue Stripes' office (Roche's room) to the left of the inn after you’ve been to Loredo’s mansion but before you’ve finished the Rose of Remembrance quest.
- There are stealth portions to the game. They are quite hard, but forgiving if you fail. Although hard, they are quite doable if you proceed with a lot of patience (not easy in a usually fast-paced game). You can extinguish torches. You can knock guys out if you approach directly from behind and right-click. You cannot stand against the wall and have a guard walk past you like in the movies - they will see you. You just have to wait until they have their back to you - even if they are some distance away - and then rush them. If two guards can see each other then don't even try to knock one out, wait until they split up and do not have LoS. If you watch guards from afar then you can easily see the best time to approach them from behind. You don't sneak right up to them, you get close-ish but not too close, wait for them to turn away (back directly facing you), and then rush them.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Mar 20, 2020

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
@Anno 1404:

Speaking of leveling up citizens' needs, there are two things I slapped myself for not realizing as a new player:

- Citizens use your resources to upgrade their houses! This can be a pain when you've just started, and more importantly, there's an option to temporarily block them from upgrading if you're running low on materials.

- Check the tax/happiness window. It has a colored happiness scale - you want to set your taxes at the top end of green, otherwise you're wasting potential income. IIRC raising taxes to next color is another way to temporarily block citizen upgrading.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Mar 19, 2020

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Anything for Voidspire Tactics?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mierenneuker posted:

I rewrote the tips for The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings and added my own. I copied the stealth bit directly, because it's such a half-assed gameplay element in this game.
I'd recommend adding the following bits from my guide that people outright said they wished they knew:

Mutagens and how they work
Unique ingredients you should save
Riposte talent
"Bonus when poisoned" = "under the effects of a potion".

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Just finished Ori: Will Of The Wisp. Some tips:

1. You can warp to any unlocked warp points from anywhere, provided you are standing on solid ground & safe from action. Just open the map and warp from there.

2. You can load an earlier checkpoint save when loading your savegame - useful when you're stuck somewhere, or made a bad purchase.

3. Disable Bounty shard when fighting a boss or doing a Combat Shrine.

4. 2 very helpful buyable skills are Triple Jump & Water Breathing.

5. You can Bash off some enemies & projectiles.

6. You start the game with Wall Jump already unlocked.

7. Some hidden areas are accessed by either breaking a wall, or just walking through them. Both have telltalle signs.

8. You'll unlock Lupo's markings for free through a quest later - no need to pay ~10k.

9. Some chase sequences are very hard to complete using mouse & keyboard - you may need to temporarily change to keyboard only for them: WASD -> arrow keys & Bash = F by default.

10. You can swing the Hammer at the apex of your jumps to get slightly higher than you're supposed to.

11. You can tip over boiling pot using Gust.

12. You can hide behind canvas.

Also, I would like to remove the following tip from Prey:

quote:

Do the main quest line until you get the Psychoscope so you can start researching Typhons

Reason: you'll be incredibly weak if you focus on the main quest & don't explore much, especially when you meet your first voltaic phantom. Also, ib my own playthrough, I totally explored everything first before doing the main quest, and I've unlocked every research options by mid-lategame anyway.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Xander77 posted:

I'd recommend adding the following bits from my guide that people outright said they wished they knew:

Thank you, updated my post.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

Pierzak posted:

@Anno 1404:

srulz posted:

Just finished Ori: Will Of The Wisp. Some tips:

Updated Witcher 2, created Anno 1404, created Wispy Ori, and updated Prey.

Edit: This seems like a relevant place to ask this: Can anyone who's playing Doom Eternal today confirm that you NEED to sign up for a Bethesda.net account when you start the game? I hate that, and I'd rather not have to sign up for an account I'll never use.

ahobday fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 20, 2020

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

srulz posted:

Reason: you'll be incredibly weak if you focus on the main quest & don't explore much, especially when you meet your first voltaic phantom. Also, ib my own playthrough, I totally explored everything first before doing the main quest, and I've unlocked every research options by mid-lategame anyway.
I would say the tip applies if you’re doing a typhon powers only playthrough, but that is not something a newcomer will know to do on their first runaround unless they are massively spoiled on the plot.

You also can’t normally explore very widely until after getting the psychoscope, so, yeah there’s no real need for the tip overall.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ahobday posted:

Edit: This seems like a relevant place to ask this: Can anyone who's playing Doom Eternal today confirm that you NEED to sign up for a Bethesda.net account when you start the game? I hate that, and I'd rather not have to sign up for an account I'll never use.

I don't have it personally to verify, but I asked in the Doom channel on the old Marvel Heroes goon discord and they said it prompts you to make one, but it's not REQUIRED to have one.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

But you apparently do need a Bethesda.net account to play online and register any of the DLC, so... yeah.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I found this note in a Steam review: "Apart from the one major blemish for the sign up to Bethesda.net to sync up your Steam account (not allowing to play single player offline)".

Maybe they missed the option to skip the sign-up? I'll wait for someone to confirm.

Edit: Looks like it's definitely not possible to play without an account. On the bright side, if this hadn't happened, we wouldn't have got this thread in the Steam forums, so there's definitely a silver lining. The creator of this thread is just really committed to hating on this, like I am: https://steamcommunity.com/app/782330/discussions/0/1867245278725267467/

Double edit: Looks like you might be able to play without an account if you disconnect from the internet completely before launching the game.

ahobday fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 21, 2020

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I just started playing (PC) and didn’t see any option to skip the signup. I also could not remember my username and didn’t see the option to retrieve it from the Bethesda site, which might have been bad news if not for lastpass.

It’s possible that I just missed all these options, but exiting the signup/signin screen just exited the game, I didn’t see how to skip (however, thanks to lastpass, I didn’t have to look very hard)

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
Yeah you need to sign in for Doom Eternal. Doom 64 does not require it.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Alright more Might & Magic tips, this time Might & Magic: World of Xeen, which is M&M 4 and 5 put together:

Adventurer or Warrior mode? Simply put, the game is balanced around Warrior mode and Adventurer mode is the Easy mode.

Character Creation and Party Builds:

The default party you start with is okay, but I suggest deleting those characters and creating your own party, HOWEVER, before you do, distribute the items on those characters as the characters you build don't get the extra items the prefab characters get.

Classes:

Knight - High HP, can wear all armor and use all weapons. No magic. Gets an extra attack every 5 levels. Your basic tank.
Barbarian - Higher HP, gets an extra attack every 4 levels, but is limited on armor and a few weapons. Will have less def than a Knight, but more HP. Take your pick.
Paladin - Knight + Cleric. All weapons and armor, but less hp, less attacks and can cast Cleric spells.
Archer - Knight + Sorcerer. Most weapons and armor, less hp, less attacks and can cast Sorcerer spells.
Robber - One of two characters who can pick locks and disarm by default. More defense orientated and has more thievery.
Ninja - The other characters who can pick locks and disarm. More offensive as they get more attacks but less HP and thievery.
Sorcerer - Your main nuker, gets lots of good spells but little in the way of HP, armor and weapons.
Cleric - Your main healer, great healing spells and decent defense but little in the way of HP and offense.
Ranger - A combo of Paladin and Archer. Better HP than both, but has a weaker spell list. A generalist.
Druid - Similar to the Ranger, but the Sorc and Cleric instead. Doesn't get the best of the best spells.

In World of Xeen (WoX) you will typically want: A beefy front line, someone with thievery and good casters. The prefab party is: Paladin, Knight, Ranger, Robber, Cleric, Sorcerer. This is a good party. If you want more spellcasting, go Ranger, Paladin, Archer, Robber, Cleric, Sorc. Or you could go with more frontline offense and go Barb, Paladin, Ranger, Ninja, Cleric, Sorc. Druids are the least useful of all the classes and I wouldn't bother with one of those. Otherwise the rest are all pretty good.

Certain classes will also get bonus skills, but you can get these for other classes later.

Race/Alignment:

Race plays a minor effect on your character with bonuses or detriments to HP and SP per level, resistances and skills. They are not super important except if you're trying to min/max. Alignment is very minor in this game and really is more for flair from what I can tell.

Stats: Stats are important with 11-12 being average. Less than that and you have penalties, more and you get bonuses.

Might: Boosts physical attacks and is needed for bashing open doors any other things that call for a Might check. Primary physical attackers should have this reasonably high.
Intellect: Important for Archers, Sorcerers, Druids and Rangers for SP. Otherwise a dump stat.
Personality: Important for Paladins, Clerics, Druids and Rangers for SP. Otherwise a dump stat.
Endurance: HP per level. Important for all.
Speed: AC bonus and how early in a round your character acts.
Accuracy: Chance to hit with melee or ranged.
Luck: Applies to Resistance Rolls for status effects and damage effects.

Skills:

All characters:

Arms Master: Bonus to hit
Body Builder: Extra HP
Merchant: Full value for selling items at shop instead of half.
Mountaineer: Only 2 characters needed to move through mountains, but good for everyone to have.
Navigator: Reduces time in deserts to 10 minutes per move instead of 4 hours.
Pathfinder: Same as Mountaineer, but for forests.
Swimming: Needed to go through shallow water without Walk on Water.

Some/One Characters:

Astrologer: Extra SP for Druids and Rangers
Cartographer: Auto-mapping.
Crusader: Needed for Castle Burlock.
Danger Sense: Lets you know when enemies are near.
Direction Sense: Enables the compass.
Linguist: Some checks look for this skill.
Prayer Master: Extra SP for Paladins and Clerics.
Prestidigitator: Extra SP for Sorcerers and Archers.
Spot Secret Doors: Lets you know where you can bash open hidden passages.
Thievery: Innate on Robbers and Ninjas. Mandatory.

Unneeded:

Tracker: Useless.

Starting out:

Once you're ready to go, take your time, play it slow and save often. Keep multiple saves even. With WoX, you can move between the Clouds and Darkside through the pyramids, but the Darkside is much harder overall and made for higher level parties. Don't bother with the Darkside until you get a few levels under your belt. You can easily go into late game areas and get wasted very easily, so be careful.

If you get stuck and need a way home, you can click the gem in the middle of the screen and call for Mr. Wizard. He will take you back to Castleview, but will take ALL of your gems on hand. Be warned.

Misc items that cast spells are very useful for non-magic casters and other characters who can't cast a particular spell. Some spells you should look out for in items: Lloyd's Beacon, Town Portal, Lightning Bolt, Fireball, Time Distortion, Teleport, Cure Paralysis/Poison/Disease, Divine Intervention, Power Cure, Raise Dead, Town Portal, Stone to Flesh.

Misc:

With regards to weapons and armor, the general rule for Material is: Obsidian > Diamond > Sapphire > Emerald > Ruby > Platinum > Gold > Quartz > Steel > Ebony > Silver > Amber > Pearl = Lapis > Iron > Coral = Crystal > Glass > Bronze > Brass > Wood > Leather.

Element and Attribute modifications are useful on Accessories and not so much on weapons and armor.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Anything for Anno 1800?

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

A small thing for Doom Eternal: While you unlock Fast Travel near the end of stages, it isn't permanent - it just lasts until you exit that level. If you miss a collectible and want to go back at a later point, you'll have to replay the level entirely.

Pseudoscorpion fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 22, 2020

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
Also these two tips for Doom 2016 apply to Eternal as well:

quote:

In single player mode, you can repeat any level with all your acquired weapons and upgrades. It's best to do this in between levels because you'll lose your progress in the current level when you do it.

You don't need to complete a level in order to save any upgrades, collectibles, weapons, completed challenges, etc. that you find. They're saved to your profile immediately upon acquisition. This is most relevant if you're replaying levels for things you missed.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

skooma512 posted:

Anything for Anno 1800?

Like other Anno games, the campaign is a tutorial, but it segues in to an endless game when you complete it.

Each of the DLC can be turned off at the start of the map. Botanica is just expeditions and a new culture generating building, but the item sets also add fertilities to your island.

The Arctic is a great source for gold and fur, but involves a lot of tiny islands and a MASSIVE need for coal. It does provide airships, however, which can almost make a round trip between areas by the time a standard ship makes it one way. They also can't be shot down, so your trade lines will be safe.

Your citizen tiers only require their unique goods and whatever the tier directly below them requires that is unique to that tier as well. For instance, Artisans no longer require access to a pub or market, and do not eat fish.

Blueprints are the greatest addition to the series and you will love using them.

The Sunken Treasures DLC gives you a massive buildable area with a specific set of fertilities and resources.

The World's Fair does not provide any benefits other than a culture boost and exclusive items for your production boosting buildings.

Culture rating determines the quality of visitors you get at your island.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
A couple more for Doom Eternal:

There are no collectibles that are reliant on upgrades that you'd get in a later mission, so whatever mission you're on you should be able to get 100% of everything without having to come back to it later.

The Master Levels are meant as "end-game" content and I wouldn't bother attempting them until you've got every weapon/upgrade and know how to take care of every type of enemy. You will get introduced to enemies, upgrades, and weapons gradually in the campaign, whilst in a Master Level they just throw everything at you at once. You have been warned!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

For the slim chance that somebody ends up playing Betrayer in the future, here are some tips.

- Surround sound is an important part of the game. Headphones are recommended.
- You'll need to use your "ear" (default: X) to help with the search for wraiths that are not marked on the map. Also talk to the red maiden once you've finished investigations before moving on to the next area.
- Giving gifts to the red maiden is pretty useless, outside of her being able to craft a special red maiden charm. But you can't do that until you are in the final area of the game.
- You'll find a trowel in the first fort which allows you to dig up items in small holes. The deeper holes require a shovel, and you won't find one until you have reached Fort Hope. Once you are there start by going to the Western Gate. From there follow the road to the East until it starts bending to the North, you can see the red glow in the South-East East direction. Once you have the shovel it is worthwhile to go back to the earlier areas and dig in places you couldn't before, you'll find the best weapons in the game that way.
- Thieves are special wraiths that will hang around certain areas in the dark world. They will run away once they see you and they are hard to kill in time, until you've got late game weapons and charms. You just get cash for defeating them. Once they've ran away they will not spawn again until you ring the bell twice to exit and enter the dark world again.
- One wraith that is easy to miss is the one that belongs to the person burned at the stake in Fort Saint George. The circle on the map for it tends to get blocked by the fort's fast travel point.
- The final area of the game doesn't have a bell you can use. You'll eventually need to go back to Fort Hope and talk to the red maiden and the wraiths there.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 23, 2020

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Some basic, spoiler-free info for the early parts of Nioh 2:

- Any weapon type is viable. They have different strengths and weaknesses, but give them all a try and see what you like. The progress to unlocking skill points is tracked separately for each weapon, and in the early game you can pretty much just use whatever has the highest damage. Experiment, you don't need to min/max a build until you're in New Game+. In character creation, the stat bonuses you get from your weapon choices are nearly meaningless in the long run, just pick the weapons you like using.
- The Guardian Spirit you pick, however, matters less for the stat bonus and more for the Burst Counter type. Brute is a big wind up hit with super armor, and is generally the most forgiving to use. If you're new and not sure which want you want to use, take the fire wolf (which is Brute type). You'll get a Feral after the first Story mission if you want to switch (and a Phantom after the first mission of the second region).
- Different kinds of armor (and the bonuses on the various Guardian Spirits) require specific stat break points to unlock, but they're not particularly high. You can spread your stat points out a bit at the start and be able to use just about anything you find.
- You earn Samurai skill points by leveling up, they're not tied to a specific stat. You earn weapon points by doing damage with that weapon type (so killing things with an Axe gets you Axe skill points), and Ninjtsu and Omyo Magic by using ninjitsu and omyo magic. You get more Ninjitsu and Omyo experience for using the ones that do damage, but even the buff ones will give you experience for killing things while under their effect.
- This is not Dark Souls, you don't need to dodge roll through every attack. Dodging is still very effective, but do not forget your Block button. There are some attacks that are a pain to dodge but take surprisingly little Ki to block. Mid stance (R1+Square) gets the lowest Ki cost for blocking.
- Yokai skills get stronger (and sometimes have an added effect) when fighting in the Dark Realm. This includes the Dark Realm phases of boss fights. Pick ones that seem useful, there's a pretty wide array of function and a lot are useful in various situations. Just remember that you can't Burst Counter without Anima, so be careful not to spend ALL your Anima on Yokai moves if you're fighting something you're likely to need to Burst Counter at any second.
- You can basically always buy up to your carry limit of Elixirs at the Kodama Bazaar at any shrine in exchange for Divine Rice. You get Divine Rice for donating old gear at a shrine.
- Red graves are Revenants, where you fight the ghost of a player and get copies of some of their gear as drops, but also frequently get Ochoko Cups for beating them.
- Blue Graves are basically friendly NPCs that you summon with those Ochoko Cups. If you're in an area or a fight that is too hard, don't feel bad about summoning help. Ochoko cups are fairly plentiful, and you'd be surprised how much just giving the enemies another target can make some very brutal areas much more manageable.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Does Nioh 2 still want the tip of "You can block things you might think you can't like fire breath" ? Or has that changed?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Tylana posted:

Does Nioh 2 still want the tip of "You can block things you might think you can't like fire breath" ? Or has that changed?

That can probably be added in to the one about not forgetting your block button. You can't block EVERYTHING, but you can block drat near everything and some of it is still a little weird like you say.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Animal Crossing: New Horizon
- Nearly everything on the island is movable later, including all buildings and even cliffs and rivers. The main things that are fixed are the stuff on the border of the island (river mouths, beaches, rocks/peninsulae, the dock and the airport) and the resident services plaza, so picking your island layout should be based around that primarily.
- The starting week or so is a bit slow and tutorialized, with a lot of things unlocking day to day. Try to do everything you can as they're presented to you to keep things moving (particularly: donating critters, building the museum/shop, and building the three new villager houses). You'll need 30 iron (as well as some other materials) to build the shop and a little more to build houses the next day, so save up!
- If you want a bit of a jumpstart, after day 2 you can travel to other player's towns and buy recipes for tools you don't have yet from their shops. You'll get them pretty quickly during the tutorial, but if you're impatient (or just want to get across the river to build stuff there instead of moving it later) you can do that.
- Eating fruit is important, but so is not eating fruit: if you have food in your stomach, you can transplant trees by digging them up with your shovel but you can also break any rocks on your island by doing the same. If you haven't eaten, you can instead get up to eight items from any rock by digging holes to keep yourself from being pushed away and whacking the rock as fast as you can. Rocks do respawn (at a rate of 1/day), but as they're your main source of iron/gold you don't want to go breaking everything you see.
- To get the Able Sisters to move in, you'll have to build the shop first. Mabel will appear in the following days, and you'll want to spend a bunch of bells buying clothes to make her think moving in will be a good investment. If you've spent at least 5k (this number is fuzzy, so go over if you have spare cash) she should talk about moving the next day you see her.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zaodai posted:

That can probably be added in to the one about not forgetting your block button. You can't block EVERYTHING, but you can block drat near everything and some of it is still a little weird like you say.

IDK man I've run into a lot of grab attacks that ignore your block

Also the big red flashy attacks but those are more obvious to counter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Zaphod42 posted:

IDK man I've run into a lot of grab attacks that ignore your block

Also the big red flashy attacks but those are more obvious to counter

Well yes, but grapples are clearly signposted (if it's got the big white and black particles, it's a grapple) and red aura attacks are explicitly what you're supposed to use a burst counter against. That's just basic game mechanics.