Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Do baby beardies eat a balanced omnivorous diet or are they primarily more/entirely carnivorous at that age? Can you supplement with plant matter/repashi/etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Do baby beardies eat a balanced omnivorous diet or are they primarily more/entirely carnivorous at that age? Can you supplement with plant matter/repashi/etc?

As far as I've been informed they are mostly carnivorous, supposedly needing to eat 4 meals of insects a day (hence my concern), switching to more greens when older. That said I do ensure she's got fresh greens everyday!

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I feed my beardy mostly carnivore poo poo, but give him fruits twice a week. He has done well with that

Yesterday was mouse day for him as well as the snake feeding day. Good times had by all, both have been super active this week as well, very fun to have around while I work!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

PathAsc posted:

I feed my beardy mostly carnivore poo poo, but give him fruits twice a week. He has done well with that

Yesterday was mouse day for him as well as the snake feeding day. Good times had by all, both have been super active this week as well, very fun to have around while I work!

According to a tegu/beardie person I talked to, if you give plant matter, better to give veggies (carrot/squash/greens/etc sliced, raw or cooked in water) as staple and fruits as treats/dessert, otherwise the sugary fruits can be rough on the GI tract+encourage stuff like obesity, and also something to do with the balance of calcium vs phosphorus.

This person also likes to feed "modified San Diego Zoo"/tegu diet (raw lean/organ meat+vitamins+veggies+calcium meal run through a food processor or grinder) to their beardies, which I've never heard anyone else do, but if the vitamin load is good I can't see why that would be a bad call. Also not a bad idea to supplement insects with commercial beardie food, which is mainly plant based as I understand it.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Ok Comboomer posted:

According to a tegu/beardie person I talked to, if you give plant matter, better to give veggies (carrot/squash/greens/etc sliced, raw or cooked in water) as staple and fruits as treats/dessert, otherwise the sugary fruits can be rough on the GI tract+encourage stuff like obesity, and also something to do with the balance of calcium vs phosphorus.

This person also likes to feed "modified San Diego Zoo"/tegu diet (raw lean/organ meat+vitamins+veggies+calcium meal run through a food processor or grinder) to their beardies, which I've never heard anyone else do, but if the vitamin load is good I can't see why that would be a bad call. Also not a bad idea to supplement insects with commercial beardie food, which is mainly plant based as I understand it.

I shouldn't have just said fruit probably. He likes spinach a bit, didn't care much for the carrots I tried, but the commercial mix was a big hit. I do supplement vitamins/calcium, prefer to gut load that but he loves his crunchy bugs with it just on them.

Crunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunch is a hell of a sound to wake up to

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Not a herp expert here, but this is good advice in general when it comes to pets. Unless your pet is explicitly frugivorous, giving too many fruits will often lead to health issues and it is better to use them as treats for special occasions. This applies not just to herps, but also to guinea pigs and rats, for example. A guinea pig that is fed mostly on fruit can develop severe issues.

It's best to keep it things like a slice of chilled melon on a hot summer day. Also, the knurfknurfknurf sound as they go at it is adorable.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

PathAsc posted:

I shouldn't have just said fruit probably. He likes spinach a bit, didn't care much for the carrots I tried, but the commercial mix was a big hit. I do supplement vitamins/calcium, prefer to gut load that but he loves his crunchy bugs with it just on them.

Crunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunch is a hell of a sound to wake up to

I used to have rabbits. And if they didn’t get their Crunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunch by 6 AM they’d toss their food bowl down the stairs of their enclosure to wake people up.

Cardiovorax posted:

This applies not just to herps, but also to guinea pigs and rats, for example. A guinea pig that is fed mostly on fruit can develop severe issues.

I mean, that’ll happen to a human too, at a certain point. A lot less so than with other mammals since we’re primates and primates love to eat them some fruit (you’re probably eating too little fruit, not too much. Pulp-free juice doesn’t count!)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I mean, that’ll happen to a human too, at a certain point. A lot less so than with other mammals since we’re primates and primates love to eat them some fruit (you’re probably eating too little fruit, not too much. Pulp-free juice doesn’t count!)
Oh yeah, sure, it's just one of those really common mistakes people make, you know? "Guinea pigs eat plants, fruits are plants, so I can feed them on nothing but fruit and it'll be fine." If you don't know better, it's easy to start thinking like that.

And yeah, I'm not really a fruit person. I make up for it by having large mixed salads at least once a week, though.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My rescue piggie would get mostly handfuls of baby spring mix salad, because we feed our baby tortoises that, to the point pellets were a treat in her eyes. Lots of grass and weeds from the backyard. But man she hated fruit. And would throw a fit if we didn't wrap her meals in a tissue box or papertowel to make it enrichment for her. Just tossing it in her food bowl resulted in angry squeals, and sometimes her peeing on said salad.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

My rescue piggie would get mostly handfuls of baby spring mix salad, because we feed our baby tortoises that, to the point pellets were a treat in her eyes. Lots of grass and weeds from the backyard. But man she hated fruit. And would throw a fit if we didn't wrap her meals in a tissue box or papertowel to make it enrichment for her. Just tossing it in her food bowl resulted in angry squeals, and sometimes her peeing on said salad.

Guinea pigs, way moreso than rabbits even, are like one of those animals that needs a bondmate to do well. They go kinda crazy otherwise, especially if their environment isn’t enriched. I feel that way about lots of domestic birds too.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, guinea pigs are incredibly social animals and just like rats you should never keep them in anything less than pairs, preferentially three or more. They can literally die of depression if they don't have a group to bond and interact with. Many birds, but especially any kind of parrot, are also heavily dependent on constant interaction and while a human being can somewhat substitute for that, it is far from ideal.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Birds are dinosaurs (sauropsids, paraves, maniraptorans) so they count in this thread right?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, guinea pigs are incredibly social animals and just like rats you should never keep them in anything less than pairs, preferentially three or more. They can literally die of depression if they don't have a group to bond and interact with. Many birds, but especially any kind of parrot, are also heavily dependent on constant interaction and while a human being can somewhat substitute for that, it is far from ideal.

Unfortunately she had to be kept solo. She was surrendered to the local animal shelter because of a benign tumor about the size of a small plum that other pigs tried to bite. The shelter hit up the rescue I work at and asked if anyone wanted to take her, as she would be put down otherwise, they couldn't adopt her out. So I took her home, with the vet saying she might live a few months if I was lucky. She ended up living over a year and was super spoiled, even if she couldn't have another pig with her.

Trust me, i wish i could have had a buddy for her, and I have had a dozen piggies over my life, always in groups, but she had to be solo or that few months estimation might have been a week.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Ok Comboomer posted:

I used to have rabbits. And if they didn’t get their Crunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunch by 6 AM they’d toss their food bowl down the stairs of their enclosure to wake people up.

My wife's chinny is a spiteful gently caress too. I'm starting to think all small fuzzies are actually evil inside.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

Birds are dinosaurs (sauropsids, paraves, maniraptorans) so they count in this thread right?

Birds are straight up reptiles. They are the sister group to crocodiles.

Stupid ornithologists and their dumb paraphyletic groups.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
My little gecko with the foul tail has had it cleaned up and is much happier now. Here’s a shot of Princess sleeping, dreaming lizard dreams.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

PRAISE THE SUN

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

PathAsc posted:

PRAISE THE SUN

https://youtu.be/RfYAXMwCpk0

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Yes loving please

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Somehow, I always imagined that the color of madness would be less... purple.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Somehow, I always imagined that the color of madness would be less... purple.

Using magenta as a stand in for an unearthly color of light never seen before is brilliant in an intensely niche way

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Oooh. Now that you point it out, that is actually kind of clever.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
so i found my one leopard gecko star gazing hard today on her side and she is still doing it outside when she gets to tired. i think she hit her head or something. she isnt an enigma and she has fresh water and food and good heat and her sister has never fought with her. i seperated them now and will probably make that permenant. i am worried.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

been wfh for the last 2 weeks, spent some of it making an incredibly complex and frankly over-the-top hangout for lizard. our previous lizard was so loving lazy whenever I attempted to make him something he just sat and looked at it like "when are you going to put food in my mouth?" so i've been having fun making stuff for a very, very active dragon.

2 different basking areas, areas to climb, hide, and some calcisand for digging.

she fuckin loooooooooves looking out the window

the ramp from the window also leads to this little strip behind our computers

which is a really long cardboard box that i cut a bunch of little windows out of

and leads to a bridge/corner up to her cage (work in progress)

where I removed one of the side panels and cut a hole for easy entry/exit

so she can chill/eat/sleep in her bioactive tank (protip: don't plant brocolli sprouts they smell terrible).

she uses the whole thing and it's awesome. she'll wake up, chill in the cage, eat some veggies, then run to the window and chill there for most of the day, broken up by random bits of running up and down the climbing area and onto the floor to go inspect her territory i guess, then back up to the window.

B Squad Leader
Nov 1, 2009

Hey folks, figured I'd post here first before trying a new thread. Anybody have some basic knowledge on turtles? I work for a school district, one of our buildings has a greenhouse and a turtle pond, some sort of outdoor education class. Was horrified to learn today that the teacher would not be given keys/codes to access the building for the next few weeks, and their summer vacation foster home had retired recently, so a half dozen turtles would be left to die during the shutdown.

I felt compelled to volunteer to sneak in once in awhile and feed them. I work in maintenance so I have access to the building, but I'm technically not allowed to be in there either so I need to minimize my visits. So the gist of my question is, unfortunately, what constitutes wartime rations for adult red ear sliders? They're fine over weekends without feeding, so would twice a week suffice for now? Or one big feeding once a week? Would appreciate any advice on this.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

B Squad Leader posted:

Hey folks, figured I'd post here first before trying a new thread. Anybody have some basic knowledge on turtles? I work for a school district, one of our buildings has a greenhouse and a turtle pond, some sort of outdoor education class. Was horrified to learn today that the teacher would not be given keys/codes to access the building for the next few weeks, and their summer vacation foster home had retired recently, so a half dozen turtles would be left to die during the shutdown.

I felt compelled to volunteer to sneak in once in awhile and feed them. I work in maintenance so I have access to the building, but I'm technically not allowed to be in there either so I need to minimize my visits. So the gist of my question is, unfortunately, what constitutes wartime rations for adult red ear sliders? They're fine over weekends without feeding, so would twice a week suffice for now? Or one big feeding once a week? Would appreciate any advice on this.

Two big feedings weekly is ideal (three would be optimal), one might risk them feeling starved and going after each other/developing metabolic issues from underfeeding. If you have to do one bigass feeding a week, it’s better than zero though.

Is the pond entirely artificial (it sounds like it’s in a greenhouse, so probably)? Do they get any food from bugs/fish/plants/other native wildlife in it? I guess you could release $25 worth of minnows/feeder guppies into the pond every two-three weeks or so but that adds up.

Good on you for doing this. Worst case Ontario, a 10-15 gallon Tupperware bin from Home Depot makes a passable refugee camp for an adult RES/painted/map turtle for a couple of weeks, as long as everybody gets housed individually. Even a 5-gal will work with daily water changes if they need fostering/sheltering ASAP.

B Squad Leader
Nov 1, 2009

Thanks OkC, think I got a plan figured out going forward:
- Feed 3x a week (Sun/T/Th) to keep them as healthy as possible for now.
- If I get sick or indisposed for 1/2 weeks, drop off feeder fish.
- If administration notices me, I'll evac them to my place. Got a couple spare fishtanks here, and a few from the greenhouse, shouldn't even need any tupperwares. (At which point I'll take photos and start a thread, tentative title A Heartwarming Cold-Blooded Story.)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

B Squad Leader posted:

Thanks OkC, think I got a plan figured out going forward:
- Feed 3x a week (Sun/T/Th) to keep them as healthy as possible for now.
- If I get sick or indisposed for 1/2 weeks, drop off feeder fish.
- If administration notices me, I'll evac them to my place. Got a couple spare fishtanks here, and a few from the greenhouse, shouldn't even need any tupperwares. (At which point I'll take photos and start a thread, tentative title A Heartwarming Cold-Blooded Story.)

No gently caress glass tanks. Don’t try them, you will hate it the turtles will hate it. Idiots do glass because they’re dumb but glass enclosures are basically the worst for all chelonians, aquatic or terrestrial. You’re always better off creating visual barriers so they don’t go insane and they poo poo buckets forever which means you need a hardwearing enclosure that stands up to frequent cleaning and abuse.

Use tupperwares they’re like 5-10 each and it’s a billion times better. Some turtles can cohab, some can’t, and some fool you into thinking they can until one maims the other. Best is Waterland Turtle Tubs but they’re pricey and huge (essentially pond+diggable land replacement). Tupperwares are good because you can dump and refill them, chuck em about, put em in the garage, put em on the deck on a nice day, etc.

Tldr- if you foster “half a dozen” turtles you’re gonna want poo poo that can be carried around/in and out and hosed off. Like if you wind up housing them each in a 5 gal bucket for two weeks I wouldn’t judge you harshly. Animal foster is no joke and turtles are a lot.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 22, 2020

B Squad Leader
Nov 1, 2009

Good to know, thanks again! We used to have fish so I just happened to had some on hand. I've used mixing tubs when doing masonry jobs, so something like these would maybe be appropriate? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Large-Mixing-Tub-26101/301943160

e: The greenhouse pond is a prefab garden pond, plastic and semi-inground. Bit too cold up here to do any outdoors yet. What about a kiddie pool indoors?

B Squad Leader fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 22, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

B Squad Leader posted:

Good to know, thanks again! We used to have fish so I just happened to had some on hand. I've used mixing tubs when doing masonry jobs, so something like these would maybe be appropriate? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Large-Mixing-Tub-26101/301943160

e: The greenhouse pond is a prefab garden pond, plastic and semi-inground. Bit too cold up here to do any outdoors yet. What about a kiddie pool indoors?

Hahaha no, they’ll climb out of that easy.

You need something like the top few hits here sized appropriately, you can go with cheap sterilite storage ones or go more rugged/hardwearing:

https://www.homedepot.com/s/storage%2520bins?searchtype=suggest&NCNI-5

With steep sides so the turtle can’t climb out/flip the enclosure over

The two bins I got this time were the HDX 17 gal, but I’ve gone 27 gal and 55 gal Sterilite/Rubbermaid/HDX before. In the most ideal circumstances you want something like a stock tank or the aforementioned Waterland tub, the bigger the better. Turtles are active fuckers for all that they have a reputation for sloth. If it was permanent I’d do Waterland or similar for sure.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 22, 2020

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Pukei-Pukei frowns upon this coronavirus nonsense (but understands and respects the necessity of quarantine).

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Lol, that face

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Let me know if this isn't the right thread for this but can anyone help me identify this little guy? I'm in North Carolina and want to make sure its not a baby Copperhead. I was thinking maybe Texas Brown?

TIA

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

j3rkstore posted:

Let me know if this isn't the right thread for this but can anyone help me identify this little guy? I'm in North Carolina and want to make sure its not a baby Copperhead. I was thinking maybe Texas Brown?

TIA

Not a chance that's a copperhead.
For one thing, juveniles have a green tail. They also have wide bands or hershey kiss-shaped splotches every few inches, and their heads are pretty flat and angular.
No clue what that is, though.

Moatman fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 24, 2020

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

most every state has some org or another that catalogs the species that occur in that state.
In this case, I found http://herpsofnc.org/snakes/

That guy looks to me like a Brown Snake, Storeria dekayi
http://herpsofnc.org/brown-snake/

they eat slugs and snails, so a nice snake to have in your garden

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

looks literally like the leaf litter next to him, which probably means he likes hiding and camouflaging and that usually means "less than deadly, plz just leave me alone don't hurt me even though i am delicious"

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
That's great, thanks for the resources as well.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

How often are y'alls adult beardies shedding? My dude is good and eating/acting normal, just wanted to check.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

about every 6 months, though not always a full shed, sometimes just kinda patchy. makes 'em super grumpy tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Thanks, he's not due yet then, but yeah he was a grumpy gently caress last time