Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Mischievous Mink posted:

I think it would be totally impossible. You don't get any sense of scale or place from screenshots or video of Alyx. You wouldn't get anything resembling the same experience of being in a room and just looking around yourself in VR on a monitor. It's not translatable. The immersion and feeling of being somewhere is a huge part of what makes it all gel together for me.

people say this same stuff about every single vr game that has ever been produced and it's a complete load

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Mischievous Mink posted:

I think it would be totally impossible. You don't get any sense of scale or place from screenshots or video of Alyx. You wouldn't get anything resembling the same experience of being in a room and just looking around yourself in VR on a monitor. It's not translatable. The immersion and feeling of being somewhere is a huge part of what makes it all gel together for me.

I mean uhh have you played a normal videogame before? They're pretty good at conveying that kind of stuff. It's one of the things they're best at even, imo

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's the "but people just enjoy the FEEL of a real newspaper!" argument for video game tech

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

people say this same stuff about every single vr game that has ever been produced and it's a complete load

I'm a huge advocate for VR and I agree, putting a 2D game in VR is cool and usually an improvement, but it's not transformative. The best VR games are the ones that are doing things that can only be done in VR

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Something about VR allows me to overlook when games seem too simple. For instance, I never really "got" Skyrim until I tried in VR and then it was like, yeah this rules.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Listen here buddy, I played at least 50 dollars worth of the games

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i take it back half life alyx is looking pretty great
https://twitter.com/Goobbue_XIV/status/1242189277443903493?s=20

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

this is violence

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Cowcaster posted:

Sorry for doubting the VR guys, they really are doing things unavailable on any other medium.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

praise rat

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

so mouse control was possible all along

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Cowcaster posted:

They found the rat that infected Stretch Armstrong as a baby!

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

https://twitter.com/Shitty_Future/status/1242181390214586369

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Hwurmp posted:

:dadjoke:

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Hwurmp posted:

perfect.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Cowcaster posted:

it's the "but people just enjoy the FEEL of a real newspaper!" argument for video game tech

It's strictly true, in that it conveys a full 3D picture instead of a 2D one on a flat screen. That doesn't really do anything for me other than improve depth perception (which is super handy for War Thunder or any other flight sims) and that's it. The pure visual side of it is like 3D movies but better in every way, as a super reductive comparison.

I still really dig using my hands 1-to-1, unlike the motion controller fad. Alyx seems to do that really drat well, so I'm excited to play it.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Cowcaster posted:

Play beatsaber with a mouse you coward.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Skyarb posted:

Play beatsaber with a mouse you coward.

isn't that called thumper

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It's strictly true, in that it conveys a full 3D picture instead of a 2D one on a flat screen. That doesn't really do anything for me other than improve depth perception (which is super handy for War Thunder or any other flight sims) and that's it. The pure visual side of it is like 3D movies but better in every way, as a super reductive comparison.

I still really dig using my hands 1-to-1, unlike the motion controller fad. Alyx seems to do that really drat well, so I'm excited to play it.

Having 6 dof head movement does huge things for me, it's like a switch in my brain that gives me sensations I just don't feel while playing a 2d game vs vr without 6dof head tracking, which does nothing really for me. It's fine if people don't care for it or whatever, but to say it's not a valid experience is a joke.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Cowcaster posted:

isn't that called thumper

I believe you can play that in VR as well

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Bad Munki posted:

I believe you can play that in VR as well

impossible everyone knows you can't replicate the vr experience on a 2d screen

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Cowcaster posted:

impossible everyone knows you can't replicate the vr experience on a 2d screen

No no, this would be taking the 2d experience to a vr context, you’ve got it backwards.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

McCoy Pauley posted:

Anyone have any person experience with this game, Seven, which looks a bit like an isometric Dishonored-style game? I have no recollection of adding it my Steam Wishlist, but in browsing that today saw that it's significantly discounted and the gameplay video looked pretty good. Anyone played it?

lol I own this and don't remember why. I'll have to give it a shot.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

wow this just sold the game for so many of my friends

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You could do that in Luminary Video Game Duke Nukem Forever

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Headcrabs showed up so I grabbed a bucket and proceeded to hold it up and shoot from behind it and blocked the headcrabs whenever they made an attempt for my head. Alyx owns.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

RBA Starblade posted:

yeah but people didn't get it back then and drew some "art" instead...

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

haldolium posted:

yeah but people didn't get it back then and drew some "art" instead...

I drew dicks. Then I turned off that lovely game and never played it again. Welp that's my Duke Nukem Forever speedrun story.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'd be more impressed if he drew that with the poop

DrNutt posted:

I drew dicks. Then I turned off that lovely game and never played it again. Welp that's my Duke Nukem Forever speedrun story.

At this point while playing DNF you are thinking to yourself, hey maybe this might be pretty good. It's only slightly further in that you realize the truth.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Leal posted:

Headcrabs showed up so I grabbed a bucket and proceeded to hold it up and shoot from behind it and blocked the headcrabs whenever they made an attempt for my head. Alyx owns.
Wear it as a hat and not care about headcrabs.

https://imgur.com/a/Qlh4pz8

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 24, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

RBA Starblade posted:

in duke nukem when you drop the markers they didn't continue writing until they hit the bench.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Finished Blasphemous (looked up how to get the alternate ending). It was great fun! No idea what happened.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Artelier posted:

Finished Blasphemous (looked up how to get the alternate ending). It was great fun! No idea what happened.

Congrats, you're Catholic now

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Ghostlight posted:

in duke nukem when you drop the markers they didn't continue writing until they hit the bench.

So DNF was more realistic. Come on Valve!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

orcane posted:

Does it also happen if you use the "standard" driver instead of the DCH driver?

You have to use the advanced search for the standard driver now, the driver website only lists new drivers in DCH form due to Microsoft requirements:
https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

This sounds promising but how can I tell if a driver is standard or DCH? None of the drivers that come up in the search use either term anywhere. Are all the drivers provided by this search standard drivers?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
metro exodus: green stuff

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ariong posted:

This sounds promising but how can I tell if a driver is standard or DCH? None of the drivers that come up in the search use either term anywhere. Are all the drivers provided by this search standard drivers?
If the card family supports DCH then an additional box will appear in the advanced search page called "Windows Driver Type" under the Operating System. If it doesn't pop up after you selected your card then it's not supported.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

If the card family supports DCH then an additional box will appear in the advanced search page called "Windows Driver Type" under the Operating System. If it doesn't pop up after you selected your card then it's not supported.

Okay, I don't get that box so I assume they're all standard. Well, that didn't work either, it still stopped responding as soon as I agreed to the license agreement. Thanks for trying everyone, I'll see if someone in the tech support forum has any ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
StarCrawlers is currently 90% off: https://store.steampowered.com/app/318970/StarCrawlers/