Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I managed to make 30 doses by foraging underbrush in late summer (a slow and painful process)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Oh that’s good to know, my current char just found bird mutagen recipe on Spring 55ish, I will go play the foraging mini game and stock up on bird mutagen hoping I find the alpha recipe.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Is there any practical use for all the stuff in kitchens now? I get that having a junk drawer and kitchen gadgets adds realism but I can't even turn the metal things into improvised lockpicks. And the junk drawer stuff needs more variety on par with the variety you can find in street sweepers.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

queserasera posted:

Is there any practical use for all the stuff in kitchens now? I get that having a junk drawer and kitchen gadgets adds realism but I can't even turn the metal things into improvised lockpicks. And the junk drawer stuff needs more variety on par with the variety you can find in street sweepers.

Railgun CBM ammo? I do occasionally feel like I should stick the table in my Misery Mobile* with a full set of silverware and my kitchen with every tool available.

But yeah, signed in the more variety thing. You need to be able to find like, a half-charged home carbonation gadget or an egg rolly, just any of the dozens of unnecessary kitchen gadgets you buy because they save a couple minutes or make something mildly cool, but need like half an hour of hand washing to use again.

*Generic title for my murdervan, the name I've actually given my latest mobile base is the WHAMbulance.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I’ve never played with the railgun CBM but I like to imagine throwing a grenade at a zombie so hard I kill them before it goes off. (Then I would be disappointed because I just wasted a grenade.)

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I’ve never played with the railgun CBM but I like to imagine throwing a grenade at a zombie so hard I kill them before it goes off. (Then I would be disappointed because I just wasted a grenade.)

Ah but what if there's another zombie next to them? Then its just as useful as a grenade but more importantly is Kickin' Rad.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Grenades are mostly only good for blowing your own eardrums out and collecting shrapnel wounds so don't feel to bad about it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I like lobbing dynamite at hordes.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Caidin posted:

Grenades are mostly only good for blowing your own eardrums out and collecting shrapnel wounds so don't feel to bad about it.

Strapping an M203 to my rifle is slow motion suicide for my characters. I will blow myself up with that grenade, possibly because I genuinely hosed up but probably because I tried to switch to full auto for some point blank action.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Strapping an M203 to my rifle is slow motion suicide for my characters. I will blow myself up with that grenade, possibly because I genuinely hosed up but probably because I tried to switch to full auto for some point blank action.

40mm grenades shouldn't be able to explode at point-blank, the arming system requires them to spin on their axis a certain number of times before the detonator will go live.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

An IRL change that makes the game better? Holy poo poo file a PR! :v:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I found Hub 01 for the first time and I’m playing through their missions. Question that may or may not be a spoiler:

Is the Mi-go encampment that spawned a couple blocks away from the place where I have to use the mind splicer in their 2nd mission scripted or did I just have spectacularly bad luck?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bad luck. Usually its just a whole bunch of military zombies.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Oh I got those too. The mission spawns, the mi-go encampment (wasn’t a spoiler), and an open sewer with like 10 zombie jedis technicians. That was certainly a thing. :stare:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Carry a bokken or similar wooden deathstrument for killing jedi.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah I’m thinking a cudgel needs to be part of my standard load out.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Collapsible baton might be a good compact choice for edc.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I had ignored them because they were metal, but they’re aluminum aren’t they? Hmmmmm

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

IIRC tactical tonfa also don't conduct either and they also function as a flashlight or stun baton if you want to eke every bit of utility out of your whomping stick

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

PSA: Mech exoskeletons can be loaded into livestock carriers.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I kinda want to do a pet build, but it feels like either I don't understand how the pets work or they're badly implemented.

Like, I have a dog following me. It's passive because I blew my dog whistle. Zombies approach, I blow my whistle again and wade in. The dog sits there, half a block back, claiming to be ready to attack, while I get chewed on.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
A new thread or an updated OP would be much appreciated. Recently downloaded this and a post from 2013 in the OP or a running debate over firearms and nutrition updates at this end of the thread isn't the most helpful introduction to the game.

After a bunch of flopped starts I rolled an eskrima based martial artist with crazy strength and finally made it out of the original city. Things were going great until something called a chicken walker rounded the corner to investigate the sound of zombie clobbering. Somehow I forgot that fences don't break sight lines, and moments later my character was blown up by a laser guided missile or something. Are EMP grenades worth trying or is this something to run from until I can hit a barn door with a rifle?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

EMP grenades are highly effective but no longer craftable. I wouldn't mess with anything that has a gun until you're well armoured and able to take it out within 1 action, 2 at most.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Also chicken walkers specifically will gently caress up your whole day, full stop. They're best handled using powerful firearms, from a great distance, at night. I once ran into one of those things at close range, and it blew through my endgame super survivor's power armour and nearly killed her in one shot.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

There’s a bot named “Dispatch” that will also gently caress your world up. The flavor text claims it’s “less lethal” but I guess C4 hacks are less lethal than mininukes so technically true?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Also iirc chicken walkers loving explode when they die - like, seriously blow the gently caress up, in a way that makes exploding turrets look like soggy firecrackers - so if you blunder into one at close range and can't lose it by escaping into a forest/the alleys/the dark of night, you're pretty much gonna die and that's that on that :rip:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

On the happier side of robots that want to kill you, you can jackhammer into a military bunker and harvest almost 10000 rounds of 5.56 from the 6 M249 CROWS that spawn. Wait until night and have night vision goggles/CBM. They won’t fire at you if you’re at the edge of NVG range and a precise aimed burst from an auto rifle is enough to take them down.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

The Lone Badger posted:

EMP grenades are highly effective but no longer craftable. I wouldn't mess with anything that has a gun until you're well armoured and able to take it out within 1 action, 2 at most.

I must have downloaded an older version as I can still make them I think.

I'm just beginning to mess with the vehicle stuff and quite happy with that aspect of the game once the various skills/tools hoops were jumped through. But some of these roads the game generates between cities and towns are a mess.

I want to build The Leveller from the Ferngully movie:

Clear-cutting two lane roads through the forest and generating enough lumber for one of those NPC camps. Is this even close to feasible, or are deathmobiles limited to sawing through zombies?

Angry Diplomat posted:

Also iirc chicken walkers loving explode when they die - like, seriously blow the gently caress up, in a way that makes exploding turrets look like soggy firecrackers - so if you blunder into one at close range and can't lose it by escaping into a forest/the alleys/the dark of night, you're pretty much gonna die and that's that on that :rip:

Good tip!

Maarak fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 22, 2020

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Maarak posted:

Clear-cutting two lane roads through the forest and generating enough lumber for one of those NPC camps. Is this even close to feasible, or are deathmobiles limited to sawing through zombies?

You can find like killdozers sitting around in the game, though they're rare, and you can definitely add things like spikes and armor to existing vehicles. One of the best things I ever found was a working steamroller, just ran it up and down the main street of a town flattening zombies.

I don't think there's anything that'll handle trees though, even bushes tend to rip the poo poo out of vehicles worse than anything a zombie can do to it.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Trees, buildings, hulks, and dissoluted devourers will all gently caress up an HD frame/quarterpanel/military composite panel vehicle tile.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Does the game still have that bug where if you had unfinished frame tiles around your car they were for some reason completely indestructible and would annihilate anything you came in contact with while driving?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Road Rollers will do more I think, but they're slow and guzzle fuel.

I've considered trying to fix and fuel up an MBT from the Tanks mod, see what that can run over.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Does the game still have that bug where if you had unfinished frame tiles around your car they were for some reason completely indestructible and would annihilate anything you came in contact with while driving?

It was electrical wiring that did that, wasn't it? Regardless, yeah, I believe it was fixed.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I’m going to say no because I haven’t seen it in years(?), I definitely remember that bug though.

E: ^ The bug I’m thinking of was before electrical wiring, I _think_ it had something to do with removing the last tile of a vehicle.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I couldn't remember exactly what it was that did it so it's probably the wiring I'm thinking of.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The trick was that its impossible to break a vehicle into parts. So you used a spiral shape that meant no tile of your shield could be destroyed without leaving 'orphan' tiles.
Electrical wiring only has 1hp, so it can't be damaged at all without breaking. So it couldn't be damaged at all.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
What's the deal with eyebots? Are they snitching on me to more hostile robots or is the surveillance stuff just flavor?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I don't know now, but they used to spawn endless waves of riot bots that I'd run over with my car for parts.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

This game is legit fun now that it's actually possible to find guns and tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Tools was always somewhat of a problem but I was always swimming in guns and ammo since regular zombies carry them

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 24, 2020