Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Tainen posted:

Tiger King sure is something...
I’m not sure how any of these people are real.

They're all cults. The people we are seeing are cult leaders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Pluto TV has a Tokusatsu channel now.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

Detective No. 27 posted:

Pluto TV has a Tokusatsu channel now.

And it’s awesome. Tubi also has (almost) every Super Sentai series as well as the first Kamen Rider series

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I just watched Furie. Movie owns.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

teagone posted:

I just watched Furie. Movie owns.

I'll second this. Very cool action movie, sadly overlooked on its American release.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The platform rules. About as subtle as a sack of bricks to the head but that’s alright.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The Platform is like a less subtle Snowpiercer, which is a pretty loving wild concept

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

tweet my meat posted:

The Platform is like a less subtle Snowpiercer, which is a pretty loving wild concept

Jesus. Wouldn't have thought that's possible.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 23, 2020

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The climax of The Platform is absolutely bonkers and the movie definitely doesn't suffer for its lack of subtlety.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

thatfuturekid posted:

And it’s awesome. Tubi also has (almost) every Super Sentai series as well as the first Kamen Rider series

Oh hell yeah. I've always wanted to see the original Kamen Rider. Dunno why I haven't downloaded Tubi to my Fire Stick yet. Tokusatsu will be the perfect way to get my mind off of the Caronavirus.

Spoke too soon. The second episode of Kamen Rider is about a bat man who spreads a deadly virus.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
The Platform was good and Devs is really good. Thank you for the suggestions goons!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Tubi is one of the best "totally free" apps.

I mentioned it earlier but it deserves more love: Don't Ask Don't Tell is on there and it's fantastic, one guy acting out a dozen or so different people that he interviewed, about half and half "funny or heartwarming" and "really sad". Sometimes both at once.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Anybody seen "Freaks" on Netflix?
Yep, definitely worth a look if you're into indie sci-fi. Right up there with High Life (Prime) and Prospect (Hulu).

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

precision posted:

Tubi is one of the best "totally free" apps.

Well, they just got bought out by Fox so don't get attached.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Huh for some reason I thought Altered Carbon S2 was 10 episodes and not 8

I seem to remember liking S1 more than S2. To follow on with what someone said earlier, this show would be better with less stuff in it. The world is crazy enough without throwing in a 300 year old love story, a never-ending rebellion, ancient aliens, etc... Some more low-stake stories in this setting while simultaneously digging a bit deeper into the implications of things like stacks or full AIs would have been better, I think.

Obviously they left the door open for S3 but I don’t know how excited I am about that.

Specific to this season I thought it seemed really optimistic that the future wouldn’t be completely covered in surveillance cameras with facial detection; like how are any of these people just walking around with minimal disguises

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, that's what the books are like, so that, for instance, the one corresponding to the first season is almost entirely a detective story focused on the murder plotline. It digs into elements of the larger world, and there's ways in which the story gets personal for Kovacs, but it's not like the show where he's searching for his lost love who is also a notorious revolutionary who also invented stacks.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Martman posted:

that classic Robert Redford nod
the what

I had no idea all this time.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Starks posted:

the what

I had no idea all this time.

The “stuff you can’t believe you just figured out” thread is over there —> https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3711921&pagenumber=216#lastpost

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Tiger King is quite the collection of weirdos

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guze posted:

Tiger King is quite the collection of weirdos

Side tangent: whats the point of Big Cat Rescue? She said they just keep em there til they die. Whats the difference?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

ButtWolf posted:

Side tangent: whats the point of Big Cat Rescue? She said they just keep em there til they die. Whats the difference?

My guess is she doesn't breed them, for one.

e: I saw the trailer for The Platform after Tiger King. Enjoy it, those who enjoy such things. Premise reminds me a bit of a childhood book, The House of Stairs. Four children are kept in a complex of endless stairways and their behaviors are modified through giving them starvation levels of food. It's more about 1984 style brainwashing than class struggle, but that is most definitely in there too.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 24, 2020

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Tainen posted:

I watched all the episodes of Alex Garland’s (Ex Machina & Annihilation) new FX show Devs that have been released so far and it has been fantastic. Garland wrote and directed all the episodes so if you are a fan of his previous work you will be into it.
We also have a Devs thread for anyone who wants to talk about it more. I'm enjoying it so far.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

beanieson posted:

Please continue this summary so I don’t have to watch it, thx.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

fenix down posted:

Yep, definitely worth a look if you're into indie sci-fi. Right up there with High Life (Prime) and Prospect (Hulu).

This comparison got me to watch Freaks and I'm glad I did. Really enjoyed it.

I also checked out Fast Color on Hulu, which I cannot recommend. Plodding and familiar.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I have Netflix and Prime. Other than those, what's the next best service? Hulu?

Is there one with good foreign films I'd never know about otherwise?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If you're strictly looking for movies, Criterion Channel.

Also, check to see if your local library system participates in Kanopy. It's pretty good for foreign films and documentaries. Even has Criterion Collection.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Yeah, Criterion has pretty much all the foreign films. Hulu is decent if you want quantity, but I'd say HBO Now has much better quality.

And Shudder rules if you like stuff in the horror genre.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

fenix down posted:

Yeah, Criterion has pretty much all the foreign films. Hulu is decent if you want quantity, but I'd say HBO Now has much better quality.

Not to mention HBO Max will have Criterion.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

fenix down posted:

And Shudder rules if you like stuff in the horror genre.

Seconding this, particularly if you’re a fan of 70s, 80s, or international horror. There’s lots of other good stuff on there that isn’t just horror too, like the Pusher and Battles Without Honor and Humanity film series.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think Hulu is the best all around service for just finding random poo poo to watch

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Amazon has the most obscure band documentaries by far if that's your thing.

I see you have that already. Still, my point stands.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

veni veni veni posted:

I think Hulu is the best all around service for just finding random poo poo to watch

Future Man!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Check your cell phone plan, especially if you're on Sprint, you may actually get Hulu+ for free.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Patrick Stewart tweeted out a promo code GIFT for a free month of CBS All Access. I believe you can use it to sign up for commercial free for a month.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

:yeshaha:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Corey Wolf Hart is such a fun character.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I'm rewatching Westworld so the new season makes sense, and I am again finding the pilot episode to be one of the most beautiful pieces of television I've ever seen. I can't stop thinking about the scene where Anthony Hopkins is just talking to the old gunslinger robot. And anything Delores says. And the technician kissing the robot when no one is looking. Some of it is just regular dumb as-advertised action TV, but it's speckled with diamonds. "Here's to the lady with the white shoes."

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I think Walking Dead is the all time example of a great pilot that turned into a mediocre show

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Season 1 of Westworld is good but it fell off a loving cliff in the second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

Season 1 of Westworld is good but it fell off a loving cliff in the second.

I don't really remember, so now I'm awaiting this with dread. I'm going to enjoy it until then, though.